• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Here is a confusing chart on the differences:
682bgold.jpg

I used the "4 heroes around for the kill" since that gives the most gold to the team. Basically the new system will give roughly 40% less assist gold to the losing team. Also, the amount of gold the system gives is based on the networth of the hero who dies, which is important to note.

Wok

Here is a confusing chart on the differences:
682bgold.jpg

I used the "4 heroes around for the kill" since that gives the most gold to the team. Basically the new system will give roughly 40% less assist gold to the losing team. Also, the amount of gold the system gives is based on the networth of the hero who dies, which is important to note.

I compared to 6.82 and got 60% to 80% less gold.

6.82a is the previous update, the one just after 6.82?

In hindsight the gold change overshadowed all the other changes in this patch, most of which I feel like would end up having way more impact on the game (the rune change alone is huge). It's too bad it wasn't around long enough for people to adapt and for actual data to be gathered, outside of just twitter/reddit outrage and anecdotal evidence.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I compared to 6.82 and got 60% to 80% less gold.

6.82a is the previous update, the one just after 6.82?

I'm calling "6.82a" the in between values. The ones from Saturday. I wanted to see how much more it had been lowered.

If you take the initial values, this version is about 60% less then the original under "normal" circumstances.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
In hindsight the gold change overshadowed all the other changes in this patch, most of which I feel like would end up having way more impact on the game (the rune change alone is huge). It's too bad it wasn't around long enough for people to adapt and for actual data to be gathered, outside of just twitter/reddit outrage and anecdotal evidence.

Think we gathered all the data we needed.

I was fine with the bounties after the first nerf, but at launch? That was some heroes of the storm shit that needs to be forgotten and never return. The extreme comeback mechanic fundamentally changed dota in a way that I think many people felt didn't need to be changed. No one really whined about deathball/snowballing (aside from playdota) in 6.75-6.80, it wasn't the dominant dota strategy for years, and snowballing has been a part of dota's core identity for a loooooonnnngggg ass time.

Take the three free glyphs, the tier 2 tower survivability buff, the nerf to total tower bounties by close to 50%, the mek nerf, and the nerfs to lycan, dp, shadow shaman, NP, and razor (the big 4 pushers of 6.81), and I think deathball received a sizable nerf in 6.82 (aside from the comeback mechanic). If the strategy is still too strong, nerf the problem heroes even more. Simple as that. No need to turn the game upside down searching for a solution.

Wok

I'm calling "6.82a" the in between values. The ones from Saturday. I wanted to see how much more it had been lowered.

Okay, so it is consistent. 70% less gold compared to 6.82, 40% less gold compared to 6.82a (which was already a nerf of assist bounties).

TUSR

Banned
so what is all this gold change stuff?

i played a couple of games on 6.82 release date and stopped because of cancer lancer

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Played as spectre. Still lose, feels bad man.
I had butterfly but i dropped to get the dr.
VFR2NFG.png
Maybe it had something to do with PA having 95% evasion and being literally unkillable?

MKB is a good item.
so what is all this gold change stuff?

i played a couple of games on 6.82 release date and stopped because of cancer lancer
See my last post.
Getting 4k gold for a single kill.

That SF was stupid and deserved it though.

Falk

that puzzling face

I'm usually first in line to call out kneejerk reactions, but the quick tone-down in this case seems warranted.

If anything, something that affects early/mid/late-game balance as much as this so-called comeback stipend does should have been introduced gradually. Put it in, keep it at least in the ballpark of how it was but with a definite benefit, see how it goes. Working out? Good. Not enough? Bump the values a little more till desired effect is seen.

Vanilla 6.82 was so far out of orbit it really wasn't going to be healthy at all for the scene. Could people have adjusted? Probably. Doesn't make it any less silly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1/5 seems excessive. Maybe 2/5 or 1/4?
I want to see 6.81 vs 6.82b graphs so I can understand.

It's about halved it seems

Felt like 6.82 let me win that game and we earned it. Zeus got Refresher off that SF kill which allowed us to take way more fights. Getting 1700 probably was way too much (800 streak + 950 assist), but the spread assist gold is super nice and rewarding.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
1/5 seems excessive. Maybe 2/5 or 1/4?
I want to see 6.81 vs 6.82b graphs so I can understand.

Felt like 6.82 let me win that game and we earned it. Zeus got Refresher off that SF kill which allowed us to take way more fights. Getting 1700 probably was way too much (800 streak + 950 assist), but the spread assist gold is super nice and rewarding.

Getting 4k gold off of a hero who had to farm 40 creeps and 10 heroes to get that same amount isn't exactly something I feel that I earned. Feels like a revved up casual mode HoN or dota1 easy mode that cheapens those intense, hard-fought comebacks.

Maybe it had something to do with PA having 95% evasion and being literally unkillable?

MKB is a good item.
Yeah i could have gone mkb but i can easily go toe toe with pa. Its just their lineup was good for lategame also my teammates items were nt just on par with radiant team.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Getting 4k gold off of a hero who had to farm 40 creeps and 10 heroes to get that same amount isn't exactly something I feel that I earned. Feels like a revved up casual mode HoN or easy mode in dota1 that cheapens those intense, hard-fought comebacks.
It wasn't the gold in this case making a super clear cut difference it was them getting cocky and us playing well enough to pick off and wipe them 5 times so we could actually win surviving a lot of engagements with 200 hp and peel.

Zeus getting the refresher off the SF kill helped a ton though.

Cutting the bonus assist gold needs to be cut down but if bonus is 1/5 catchup gold then it would be something like 900 -> 400 assist on 6.82b if you count normal assist + level disparity + catchup? If so that is fine.
I mean we were taking fights vs super fat carries with a grand total of 1 stun (My abyssal) 3 for 0 over and over after feeding so super hard by thin margins. That is why I said I felt we deserved the win. I agree 4k for a single kill even with a 28K vs 14K hero NW diff is excessive but they had plenty of room in that specific game to win.
Felt like my itemization won the game since no one build another Abyssal and Slark built SnY instead...

Like I said I need a chart.

*Ran some test numbers it is roughly about half lowered. I'm cool with this.
Yeah i could have gone mkb but i can easily go toe toe with pa. Its just their lineup was good for lategame also my teammates items were nt just on par with radiant team.
Were you the Ursa in my game?
No right clicker without MKB can fight PA with 2 Blfys? Like that is over 80% evasion. It's nearly impossible to kill her with rightclicks. Her eHP is over 10,000 on top of lifesteal.
You can kill with ES stunlock and WD Aghs or some crazy cleaves but you can't fight her.

Think we gathered all the data we needed.

I was fine with the bounties after the first nerf, but at launch? That was some heroes of the storm shit that needs to be forgotten and never return. The extreme comeback mechanic fundamentally changed dota in a way that I think many people felt didn't need to be changed. No one really whined about deathball/snowballing (aside from playdota) in 6.75-6.80, it wasn't the dominant dota strategy for years, and snowballing has been a part of dota's core identity for a loooooonnnngggg ass time.

Take the three free glyphs, the tier 2 tower survivability buff, the nerf to total tower bounties by close to 50%, the mek nerf, and the nerfs to lycan, dp, shadow shaman, NP, and razor (the big 4 pushers of 6.81), and I think deathball received a sizable nerf in 6.82 (aside from the comeback mechanic). If the strategy is still too strong, nerf the problem heroes even more. Simple as that. No need to turn the game upside down searching for a solution.

I don't think the bounty mechanic was meant to necessarily change snowballing/deathpush, because like you said it can be addressed fairly straightforwardly with other changes. It doesn't seem to be a change that makes the game easier, or more consistent, or less frustrating, which is why I'm sort of curious why they decided it needed to be implemented.

I'm guessing that Valve/icefrog had some sort of plan or theory they wanted to test, but we don't really know what the "comeback meta" would've looked like outside of conjectures and worst-case scenarios. Then again, packing the change in with one of the biggest patches in DOTA history would've been a bad way to gather data, just due to the number of factors changing the game.

Zeknurn

I really hope these changes do not revert the massive increase in match quality I saw after 6.82 hit. If we go back to the dark ages of 6.81 I'll throw my PC out of the window.

Dahbomb

I don't think the bounty mechanic was meant to necessarily change snowballing/deathpush, because like you said it can be addressed fairly straightforwardly with other changes. It doesn't seem to be a change that makes the game easier, or more consistent, or less frustrating, which is why I'm sort of curious why they decided it needed to be implemented.

I'm guessing that Valve/icefrog had some sort of plan or theory they wanted to test, but we don't really know what the "comeback meta" would've looked like outside of conjectures and worst-case scenarios. Then again, packing the change in with one of the biggest patches in DOTA history would've been a bad way to gather data, just due to the number of factors changing the game.
It's pretty obvious what the reason behind that bounty change was (the original change from 6.81 to 6.82).

They don't want there to be games where the outcome is decided within first 10-15 minutes. Even if you aren't pushed to death within that time, there are games where you might suffer a slow and agonizing death. It was also meant as a way to counteract the "oh look that team has a huge gold/XP lead, they have this in the bag" mentality. They want games to be engaging in every minute of the entire match rather than forcing players to call GG early because there is almost 0 chance for them to win.

That's really the main point of this change or at least the philosophy behind it. It probably had nothing to do with the death ball strategy to begin with but it was something that Icefrog probably considered. It's been a problem of the genre since its inception especially in a game like DOTA 2 where the surrender option isn't available in pubs. That means that many games you are left wasting your time where the outcome was decided 20 minutes ago.

Were you the Ursa in my game?
No right clicker without MKB can fight PA with 2 Blfys? Like that is over 80% evasion. It's nearly impossible to kill her with rightclicks. Her eHP is over 10,000 on top of lifesteal.
You can kill with ES stunlock and WD Aghs or some crazy cleaves but you can't fight her.
Holy shit I didn't notice she has two butterfly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Holy shit I didn't notice she has two butterfly.
Well that's better than the Ursa I had.
'Why would I build 1 item for a hero' - Ursa

I dunno maybe PA with a Bfly and you being half of our right click would have something to do with it? Zzzz

Arkanius

Bah, I liked 6.82 as it was
There were no gg's anymore, the games I had (despite having a few losses due to me and my teams fault) were the most fun I had and were not landslides in either way.

By the way, has anyone tried the new Earth Spirit? The new kick nearby stone function seems to be very buggy...

Qvoth

so.... comeback is dead?
that's a shame, i admit i don't even play the game, but i feel the games ever since 6.82 has been super fun to watch

Rahk

By the way, has anyone tried the new Earth Spirit? The new kick nearby stone function seems to be very buggy...
Yeah, I end up kicking air a lot of the time or kicking a unit when I want to kick a stone, although I don't think I'm completely used to the change yet. I guess a problem I have a lot of the time is I'll misclick a creep or hero instead of the ground.

There's a reddit thread that seems to be getting a bit of traction, and the top comment lays out the problems I seem to have.

dmshaposv

PA is soo strong this patch. She can manfight and win just about anyone untill they get MKB or basher (for lucky bash to burst her).

PL is impossible to deal with. He may not have an invis escape but his illus form way to rapidly and completely fuck you over if he has diffusal.

Saw a pl with just diffusal and vanguard rampage our team. this shit is out of hand!

kvk1

I just hope these aren't reactionary changes.

Whatever the outcome with these tweaks, Icefrog and/or Valve should keep operating on their own dataset and not from the community outcry.

Not because the latter shouldn't be listened to, but because it's so fickle and hysteria based that if you try and react to its every request, the game will go down the horse created by committee road.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I just hope these aren't reactionary changes.

Whatever the outcome with these tweaks, Icefrog and/or Valve should keep operating on their own dataset and not from the community outcry.

Not because the latter shouldn't be listened to, but because it's so fickle and hysteria based that if you try and react to its every request, the game will go down the horse created by committee road.

But the community has always been a driver of balance. Especially the pros Icefrog probably consulted with.

Valve should write down somewhere why they are making these gold changes rather than just making them and letting us try to calculate a hundred different scenarios.

I can't seem to find it anywhere other than them just posting new values.

kvk1

But the community has always been a driver of balance. Especially the pros Icefrog probably consulted with.

Absolutely.

But three balance changes to the XP in six days (patch hit last Tuesday) with the first change coming like a day after the patch hit and the hysteria started, seems more like a "fine, shut up, here's your nerf" than something undertaken after carefully evaluating what's right/wrong with the situation.

I'm not arguing for the initial XP numbers either way. Maybe there were okay, maybe they were absurd.

I just feel that not even giving it one full week to flesh itself out is a bit unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom