• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

All these fucking trench tier "pro" teams picking Omni is pissing me off. Now his competitive win rate is going to be shit and none of the teams with talent are going to use him.

74489-jim-carrey-gif-what-the-hell-a-Ly3J.gif

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Next.kz just picked him against Empire and he did fuck all. Dual offlane with Kentaur. Level 3, 10 minutes into the game. One of the most pathetic displays of a hero being used I've ever seen. Omni is a hero that can win games of Dota. He can be amazing in certain dual/tri lanes and he can single handedly turn losing team fights into winning teamfights late. But shitty pro teams pick him and think he's magically going to get to level 16 by just wandering around the map and being useless.

slahser's way of playing... Gyro! His way makes so much sense it is amazing!

http://youtu.be/B9CaamWgL_A

I like this. Gyro has been nerfed a lot lately, so this might make him more relevant as roaming supports are really strong at the moment.

Please don't spread this cancer. Every time I see a critshaker on my team I die a little on the inside.

Can you blame them? No farm Earthshaker is the most unfun thing in this game.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Yeah there's no middle ground at all between a zero farm bitch support Earthshaker and a full on farming idiot build carry Earthshaker.

Earthshaker shouldn't be a no farm support, he needs a blink and a little farm. But he's a bad carry compared to actual carries, and even if you might be able to make it work on a coordinated team it's super aggravating to see solo pub Earthshakers hard farming (hurting the actual carry) and going an idiotic build that doesn't really work.

yarden24

I feel like I've plateaued pretty hard in my dota skill,

currently at 3.5k and I've been hovering around that number for ages, anyone wanna give me tips on how i can improve or any useful advice on how i can improve?
I watch videos, and pro games, try and improve my play, but i cant seem to really do so.

I would also be happy if anyone with higher MMR would want to coach me for a bit!

Madouu

wow Lai gaming threw this morning's game vs LGD too? They were so far in the lead.

currently at 3.5k and I've been hovering around that number for ages, anyone wanna give me tips on how i can improve or any useful advice on how i can improve?
I watch videos, and pro games, try and improve my play, but i cant seem to really do so.

I would also be happy if anyone with higher MMR would want to coach me for a bit!

is this your account? http://www.dotabuff.com/players/18781094

sixghost

Windrunner shackle buff seems legit, I didn't think it sounded like much but it's very noticeable. She's really good now.

That's been my experience as well. Last night I had a silencer crying about how the new shackle range was too long.
yep, that's me! so what do you think?

Learn to play support. 23 of your 25 most played heroes are cores. People who do nothing but play cores every game because they think "they can't rely on their shit teammates to carry" are usually the worst players on the team. Learn how to make yourself useful while being underleveled with zero farm, then you'll be a considerably better dota player.

G.ZZZ

Spampickerino some hero, watch how pros play him, then spampickerino him a bit more. Playing the same hero for a while is good because you tend to focus a bit more on the different situations in a game instead of focusing too much on your hero every game, you realize what kind of itemizations lose or win games, when or when not to push etc... Playing different heroes every game improve your general competence with all heroes, but make you lose sight of all the other things beside your hero. Spam picking an hero also emphasize the concept of hero matchup, whereas when you random is more difficult because you tend to forget it from a game to another.

In general i think randomizing emphasize your familiarity with most heroes, the ability to understand at a basic level what they and they don't do. However spampicking a single hero help you focus more on the game circumstances instead of your hero's ones. Then after a while you'll create your own itembuild and skillbuild for the hero, realize what you can do and what you shouldn't with a single hero, and then move on.

Just to make an example, i spampicked TA for a bit after watching some DF vods, copied his builds. After a bit, i found myself having some problems in some matchups, searched a couple of vods where he played them and understood a lot more of what he was doing. Ember vs TA for example is matchup that is hugely conditioned by knowledge. A couple of years ago, spampicking Enigma gave me the highest WR% i ever had , sent me to the first page quite often, and gave me the certainty that whoever get blink first on enigma instead of meka is a braindead. It also showed me the power of sobi mask first on him, instead of clarities because you can get soul ring on him at 1:50 anyway with that build. Then lately i realized Zai get level 6 on enigma dire at 4:30, which i considered impossible and now i want to watch some streams where he does that, however it's a bit of a problem because the replay are still ticketed i think zzz.

Another thing is that below 5k ppl just can't farm tbh. Learn farm patterns from some pros, and learn to lashit efficiently and precisely. Remember to always stack the camps you farm etc... Most mega-pro pubbers are just insanely good farmers. See Dragonfist who get consistently 100+ cs at 15 mins, 200+ at 25, or waga, or Beesa, or whoever.

On the other hand, if u want to see a triple divine Ember lose:

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/960873862

So fucking long and stressfull game. Later on i couldn't ever blink because of all the dot/aoe bulllshit and ember critted for 2.3k jesus.

EDIT: also yeah, if you really play only cores you sucks dicks. Playing support is crucial to understand warding/ganking patterns and in general early game movement. Core players tend to be really static or just learn farm patterns, and watching pro streams don't really help because they focus on the core the pro is playing and not the movement of his team which is still usually 5k+. The most you can get is some "Lion PogChamp" when Lion feed. It's a big problem because tbh playing supports in pubs is often a terrible experience, especially if you have no confidence in it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Say you took a B-tier pro team and had them go into regular matchmaking looking for a game against solos or 3 or 2 stacks (your average matchmaking game, not 5v5 team matchmaking, I understand this isn't currently possible).

How many games do you think it would take them to lose? I think it'd actually be interesting to watch.

Randdalf

Say you took a B-tier pro team and had them go into regular matchmaking looking for a game against solos or 3 or 2 stacks (your average matchmaking game, not 5v5 team matchmaking, I understand this isn't currently possible).

How many games do you think it would take them to lose? I think it'd actually be interesting to watch.

I remember watching the old (TI2 era) Mouz team play as a 5-stack in ranked matchmaking and they didn't just lose but lost several matches in a row, hehe.

Spampickerino some hero, watch how pros play him, then spampickerino him a bit more. Playing the same hero for a while is good because you tend to focus a bit more on the different situations in a game instead of focusing too much on your hero every game, you realize what kind of itemizations lose or win games, when or when not to push etc... Playing different heroes every game improve your general competence with all heroes, but make you lose sight of all the other things beside your hero. Spam picking an hero also emphasize the concept of hero matchup, whereas when you random is more difficult because you tend to forget it from a game to another.

In general i think randomizing emphasize your familiarity with most heroes, the ability to understand at a basic level what they and they don't do. However spampicking a single hero help you focus more on the game circumstances instead of your hero's ones. Then after a while you'll create your own itembuild and skillbuild for the hero, realize what you can do and what you shouldn't with a single hero, and then move on.

Just to make an example, i spampicked TA for a bit after watching some DF vods, copied his builds. After a bit, i found myself having some problems in some matchups, searched a couple of vods where he played them and understood a lot more of what he was doing. Ember vs TA for example is matchup that is hugely conditioned by knowledge. A couple of years ago, spampicking Enigma gave me the highest WR% i ever had , sent me to the first page quite often, and gave me the certainty that whoever get blink first on enigma instead of meka is a braindead. It also showed me the power of sobi mask first on him, instead of clarities because you can get soul ring on him at 1:50 anyway with that build. Then lately i realized Zai get level 6 on enigma dire at 4:30, which i considered impossible and now i want to watch some streams where he does that, however it's a bit of a problem because the replay are still ticketed i think zzz.

Another thing is that below 5k ppl just can't farm tbh. Learn farm patterns from some pros, and learn to lashit efficiently and precisely. Remember to always stack the camps you farm etc... Most mega-pro pubbers are just insanely good farmers. See Dragonfist who get consistently 100+ cs at 15 mins, 200+ at 25, or waga, or Beesa, or whoever.

So fucking long and stressfull game. Later on i couldn't ever blink because of all the dot/aoe bulllshit and ember critted for 2.3k jesus.

what this man said.

many (most?) of the highest MMR players spam pick from a pool of no more than 5 heroes.

If your goal is purely to maximize your MMR, the best way to do it is to become a master of few rather than a jack of all trades and master of nothing.

Examples:

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/118305301 (not sure what his MMR is, but it was top 20 last I checked)

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/86043885 (#1 NA?)

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/129610677 (still #1 EU?)

sixghost

A couple of years ago, spampicking Enigma gave me the highest WR% i ever had , sent me to the first page quite often, and gave me the certainty that whoever get blink first on enigma instead of meka is a braindead. It also showed me the power of sobi mask first on him, instead of clarities because you can get soul ring on him at 1:50 anyway with that build. Then lately i realized Zai get level 6 on enigma dire at 4:30, which i considered impossible and now i want to watch some streams where he does that, however it's a bit of a problem because the replay are still ticketed i think zzz.
I don't know if this is how Zai did it, but this is the video that taught me how to get 6 at 4:30 pretty reliably on dire. I even saw him get 6 at 4:00 flat during ESL NY. I have no idea how he did that. Maybe he got lucky with camp spawns or got a bounty rune.

G.ZZZ

what this man said.

many (most?) of the highest MMR players spam pick from a pool of no more than 5 heroes.

If your goal is purely to maximize your MMR, the best way to do it is to become a master of few rather than a jack of all trades and master of nothing.

Examples:

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/118305301 (not sure what his MMR is, but it was top 20 last I checked)

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/86043885 (#1 NA?)

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/129610677 (still #1 EU?)

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/69689027
disapprove.gif
disapprove.gif
disapprove.gif
disapprove.gif

yarden24

Learn to play support. 23 of your 25 most played heroes are cores. People who do nothing but play cores every game because they think "they can't rely on their shit teammates to carry" are usually the worst players on the team. Learn how to make yourself useful while being underleveled with zero farm, then you'll be a considerably better dota player.

I don't play cores because I think i cant rely on my teammates, i just generally have more fun playing the roles, I enjoy playing offlane the most, followed by mid and then carry, support being last.

that said, ill try and play some more supports and see how it is,I will say that one of my weakness is finding farm efficiently.

EDIT: also yeah, if you really play only cores you sucks dicks. Playing support is crucial to understand warding/ganking patterns and in general early game movement. Core players tend to be really static or just learn farm patterns, and watching pro streams don't really help because they focus on the core the pro is playing and not the movement of his team which is still usually 5k+. The most you can get is some "Lion PogChamp" when Lion feed. It's a big problem because tbh playing supports in pubs is often a terrible experience, especially if you have no confidence in it.

cant do it, I simply wont enjoy the game if I spamerino a hero, I dont care if it will take me longer to rase my MMR if i get better during it, but playing a hero more then 3 times in a row will simply not be fun for me.

also, its not that i dont play support at all, just look at the dotabuff, while its not as much as the other positions i have plenty of games played with supports, the amount of games with them isnt that low, i have a big spread on games with each hero, though support is the position i enjoy the least and playing solo probably doesn't help.

I will play more support though, ill try that some and see how it goes
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/18781094/heroes

Madouu

yep, that's me! so what do you think?

Seeing as you already have some experience with slark, you can spam pick it to 4k easily if going up in mmr is your priority. You've got higher kdas on average than what I see players at 3.5k have so I think you can move up with the right heroes.

Maybe you want to consider playing a few different roles to get a better grasp of the game before focusing on the one you want to climb the mmr ladder with like it has been suggested.

Hylian7

I like this. Gyro has been nerfed a lot lately, so this might make him more relevant as roaming supports are really strong at the moment.

O Ya the fun critshaker build is cancer, says the Tinker picker lol.

Shadowshaker is the cure, tinker is the cancer.

Dont lie Hylian you know its good
Summary of 90% of the critshakers I see:

- Farming early
- "ES can we get some wards, or a gank? We could use a pair of mana boots or early blink since you have all that farm"
- "ES we need your help in these team fights." (Now sitting on Phase Shadow Blade) "No I need my Crystalys first."
- Now being dived past tier 3, ES enchants, SB's, and one shots someone that has a little over half HP.
- Other team says "oh snap" for two seconds, then back to successfully killing us and taking fax.

Critshaker basically takes the mind set of "I am going to ignore 90% of my hero's utility for a silly one shot damage build." Congratulations, you threw the game away to stroke your totem dick.

shira

Summary of 90% of the critshakers I see:

- Farming early
- "ES can we get some wards, or a gank? We could use a pair of mana boots or early blink since you have all that farm"
- "ES we need your help in these team fights." (Now sitting on Phase Shadow Blade) "No I need my Crystalys first."
- Now being dived past tier 3, ES enchants, SB's, and one shots someone that has a little over half HP.
- Other team says "oh snap" for two seconds, then back to successfully killing us and taking fax.

Critshaker basically takes the mind set of "I am going to ignore 90% of my hero's utility for a silly one shot damage build." Congratulations, you threw the game away to stroke your totem dick.
Yeah there are people who don't even play the game. They just want a crit rampage with sven or kunkka or to blow up SWM or Lina with Pugna
http://zippy.gfycat.com/PracticalDeliciousGreyhounddog.webm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom