• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

This Xyclopzz guy is like a borderlands character but funny. So many memes.

His mom called and he stopped casting
laugh.gif

shira

DDZ Apology
DDZ said:
We live in the city, and being underpaid, things are just very tough and harsh on us
sometimes. We are very very sorry for this action and we should have never done it.

DDZ said:
But no matter what it is, we accept 100% the punishment and consequences that is to be made to us, and we give our word and our promise that this will never happen again.

DDZ GF statement

It's too bad TI4 didn't give these guys some money for the year. Even like 10k would have been good because it would have been direct payment to their bank accounts.

I don't know what happened but I can only assume this whole team was a bunch of poor teenagers with little to no support network, no Charlie, no Cyborgmatt.

I know it's not Valve's job to babysit a bunch of teenagers, but their 2014 prize money is barely $8000. This fucking sucks, these guys prolly just wanted to play Dota - now they are pariahs for life.

DDZ Apology

DDZ GF statement

It's too bad TI4 didn't give these guys some money for the year. Even like 10k would have been good because it would have been direct payment to their bank accounts.

I don't know what happened but I can only assume this whole team was a bunch of poor teenagers with little to no support network, no Charlie, no Cyborgmatt.

I know it's not Valve's job to babysit a bunch of teenagers, but their 2014 prize money is barely $8000. This fucking sucks, these guys prolly just wanted to play Dota - now they are pariahs for life.

Wait, didn't he deny doing it just this morning?

Razzer

DDZ Apology

DDZ GF statement

I think this is mostly a symptom of the poor structure of the SEA scene. There's nothing reliable there as a support network like there is in the EU, NA and China scenes. No EGs, no Team Liquids etc as a constant. The only team that seems to have a chance is not even sponsored (Team Malaysia). Mushi talked about this kinda thing on Facebook a while back I believe.

Acinixys

This Xyclopzz guy is like a borderlands character but funny. So many memes.

Hes amazing because he doesn't CONTINUOUSLY shit talk like most other casters

If nothing is happening he takes a break from talking

Its refreshing

Also

HES TAKEN THE BARRACKS OBAMA!

Damn. From bad to worse :/
Will the SEA scene be as forgiving to DDZ as CIS was to Solo I wonder?

Considering he's still one of the best players in the region I'm sure if he makes the proper apologies he'll be back on a pro team playing in the TI5 qualifiers.

He'll probably make it even if he doesn't.

Zoon

My favorite Xyclopz quote so far is:'I don't always cast doom, but when I do, I cast it on Illusion'.
Had to buy a new mouse since I spilled chocolate milk on the previous one.

G.ZZZ

RTZ stream today is trascendent. Teletubbies into Jew Dance musics Kreygasm

EDIT: now he's watching Grey's Anatomy. This dude stream is simply uncomphrensible by us mortals.

Falk

that puzzling face
About esports in SEA:

Having organized LAN events for multiple games, marshalled at several national-level WCGs and managed a semi-pro FPS team (and ending up being one of the de-facto national representatives regarding rulesets/etc) at different points in the past, I can reiterate and corroborate what Mushi said about the region in general. There's two problems, really.

The first is that there literally are no real sponsors or organizations. Even the ones that appear to have their shit together are little more than a facade that's basically two steps away from falling apart due to lack of capital. Drumming up interest from potential sponsors has always, for whatever reason, been a monumental uphill battle.

The second (and bigger) problem is the general attitude from the region as far as playerbase goes. There's a small cross section of what you can call a more-well-off crowd that can afford decent PCs; they buy games on Steam, etc. But the vast majority of gamers in the region play at internet cafes.

This fact lend itself to an environment where every shitty Korean or Chinese MMO with a publisher in the region fight for attention. If you get fed up with something, there are like two dozen other equally shitty alternatives for you to jump into. This means that brand loyalty is shot because and the general investment people have into games is much lower than in other parts of the world (If you've read any thread on GAF about why the mobile environment is toxic for retention, this sorta applies to "PC" gaming in SEA). I know it's a really geeky measuring stick to bring up, but take WoW as an example. As the behemoth of MMOs, with its decade of activity, you've never really seen groups from SEA manage to do anything noteworthy on a competitive level. Anyone who's raided to any serious degree knows how much organization, investment and generally not being dicks to each other are important in a guild's health and that's three areas where the territory fails on a general level. (There are exceptions to the rule, obviously, but you generally -do- need a critical mass for things to not eventually fall apart)

In a game like DotA, which is already pretty toxic to begin with, the finger-pointing, threats of calling it quits, and general propensity to do really dumb shit, all of which are cultivated by environmental factors, probably doesn't help the local scene at all.

Anyway, ramble aside, what I'm getting at is that a lot of people who are tired with the situation simply just pack up and leave, be it in an abstract way (not playing on SEA servers for any online game given the choice - back to the WoW example, me for example - I gave up and started raiding with Australians) or physically (Actually leaving. Me, again, later on)

A not-so-humorous parallel can be drawn outside of gaming, where many countries in the region have been suffering a very real brain-drain across the past generation or two, where the best and brightest head off to Australia or Europe or USA for studies and decide to never return, because of multiple domestic factors. However that alone would be another multiple-page rant on my part, and considering the hilarious political situation back home, I'm not sure if I should say anything that could actually get me in trouble. :U

inkls

Naga is the last remaining split push hero. Throw her in the safe lane and get an earlyish Radiance to push out the lanes. I guess TB is basically the same sans the Radiance, but Naga has a bit more hard carry potential with slightly better illusions, song, and riptide.

Did you just say, tb can't splitpush?

That appears to be a vagina shot.

it might be. But I'm not one to go there.

About esports in SEA:

Having organized LAN events for multiple games, marshalled at several national-level WCGs and managed a semi-pro FPS team (and ending up being one of the de-facto national representatives regarding rulesets/etc) at different points in the past, I can reiterate and corroborate what Mushi said about the region in general. There's two problems, really.

The first is that there literally are no real sponsors or organizations. Even the ones that appear to have their shit together are little more than a facade that's basically two steps away from falling apart due to lack of capital. Drumming up interest from potential sponsors has always, for whatever reason, been a monumental uphill battle.

The second (and bigger) problem is the general attitude from the region as far as playerbase goes. There's a small cross section of what you can call a more-well-off crowd that can afford decent PCs; they buys games on Steam, etc. But the vast majority of gamers in the region play at internet cafes.

This fact lend itself to an environment where every shitty Korean or Chinese MMO with a publisher in the region fight for attention. If you get fed up with something, there are like two dozen other equally shitty alternatives for you to jump into. This means that brand loyalty is shot because and the general investment people have into games is much lower than in other parts of the world (If you've read any thread on GAF about why the mobile environment is toxic for retention, this sorta applies to "PC" gaming in SEA). I know it's a really geeky measuring stick to bring up, but take WoW as an example. As the behemoth of MMOs, with its decade of activity, you've never really seen groups from SEA manage to do anything noteworthy on a competitive level. Anyone who's raided to any serious degree knows how much organization, investment and generally not being dicks to each other are important in a guild's health and that's three areas where the territory fails on a general level. (There are exceptions to the rule, obviously, but you generally -do- need a critical mass for things to not eventually fall apart)

In a game like DotA, which is already pretty toxic to begin with, the finger-pointing, threats of calling it quits, and general propensity to do really dumb shit, all of which are cultivated by environmental factors, probably doesn't help the local scene at all.

Anyway, ramble aside, what I'm getting at is that a lot of people who are tired with the situation simply just pack up and leave, be it in an abstract way (not playing on SEA servers for any online game given the choice - back to the WoW example, me for example - I gave up and started raiding with Australians) or physically (Actually leaving. Me, again, later on)

A not-so-humorous parallel can be drawn outside of gaming, where many countries in the region have been suffering a very real brain-drain across the past generation or two, where the best and brightest head off to Australia or Europe or USA for studies and decide to never return, because of multiple domestic factors. However that alone would be another multiple-page rant on my part, and considering the hilarious political situation back home, I'm not sure if I should say anything that could actually get me in trouble. :U

You won't get in trouble, really.

Remember it's fucking NeoGAF here, go write something in the OT, would be interested to read.

About esports in SEA:

The second (and bigger) problem is the general attitude from the region as far as playerbase goes. There's a small cross section of what you can call a more-well-off crowd that can afford decent PCs; they buy games on Steam, etc. But the vast majority of gamers in the region play at internet cafes.

Interesting read, thanks for the info.

Always felt Na'Vi's biggest problem was Dendi and Xboct disregarding Puppey's strats and going for manmode. Felt that Puppey, given a team that LISTENS to him, can be one of the best around.

So glad he's with Team Secret now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom