• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is going to be a patch at all. Certainly I've seen no reason to believe there would be other than the Korean rumour thing which I have 0 faith in.

The only thing making me believe there is going to be one is the fact that tf2 and cs go got them, steam is having their sale on thursday, and dota always gets one (even when they weren't looking to giff diretide last year, the plan was still to have an update out by then).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't expect anything groundbreaking but I don't think it's too soon to have a medium sized content patch such as the rest of the compendium goals. I'll be pretty disappointed if we end this week without anything new.

I don't expect anything groundbreaking but I don't think it's too soon to have a medium sized content patch such as the rest of the compendium goals. I'll be pretty disappointed if we end this week without anything new.

itll just be a new hero, some hats and tourneys, and those creep changes or something

shira

I heard somebody bandying about a "hat pass" as a response to the drop system changes.

Pay $9.99 and get all access to all cosmetics 1 year or older.

inkls

Yup. Seems way too soon after 6.82 for an actual patch, tbh.

The three spirits update (13 Nov) was less than a month after 6.79 (17 Oct).

6.82 was exactly a month ago today. Its not a stretch to assume something might be coming this week or the next 2-3.

What I've taken away from playing ~150 games of league is that the barrier of entry for playing the "actual" game is way, way too high. To grind out account levels, rune pages, and whatever other garbage you have to get is just a moneymaking time sink. Coming from Dota and HoN I found it extremely aggravating that I had to invest so much time to play the same game everyone else was, let alone not being able to pick whatever character I wanted.

I'm sure the game has its redeeming qualities after completing the entry requirements, hopefully you enjoy the character/role you started grinding for, if not oh well.
Yep, the initial grind is awful. I don't understand how people can put in the time to level smurfs. That's at least 15-20 hours of work just to unlock ranked.

There are also things that are being done objectively better in LoL.
  • The tribunal community discipline system
  • ranked seasons (with rewards)
  • more unique modes of play and maps
  • better (arguably) regional structure, which ensures that you're playing with English speakers 99.9% of the time (I've not encountered anyone speaking anything but English in 1,000 matches; compare with your last 5 Dota2 matches)
  • constant website and blog updates, providing the utmost transparency with regards to game/balance changes, plans, events, seeking community feedback via the Beta environment, blog comments and dedicated forums (compare with Valve's "speak only when there may be a riot" approach)
  • a regular stream of brand new characters added annually along with visual updates to older models
  • a more robust reporting system
  • a team on staff dedicated to subtly implement features designed to improve player communication and behavior
  • regular development and release of more videos and stylish dedicated pages event
  • pro events actually start on time and stick to a tight schedule. If a match ends and the next is scheduled to start in 15 minutes...it's going to be drafting in 15 minutes

I hope to see many of these things absorbed into Dotes. It'd be a decidedly better game experience. May be difficult though as some of these luxuries are a function of the size of the team Riot puts on League. The sheer number of people working on the game and within its solar system dictate that they will produce more content. Maybe one day Valve will add a more meaningful-sized team back on Dota. I doubt it, though. They seem to be very content with a small team, 2-4 heroes/year, seasonal gameplay/balance updates and hats.

While I haven't given League a solid try in a long time, I was not a fan of their itemization system. I feel the extra stats they introduced like AP, Cooldown Reduction, and Tenacity, in addition to easily stacking defensive stats, just makes a bunch of items filler and makes the caster characters and support role less fun. I'm also not a fan of how heavy handed Riot has been in ensuring teams must play with a Jungler, and wish they gave their game more room to breath instead of stamping out new strategies.
Yea, you haven't given it a try in some time. Your identified issues are not issues in 2014. There aren't any "filler" items that I can think of, though there are some niche items. I think the bigger itemization problem in the game is the rather strict adherence to a pool of maybe 8 items that certain roles (like carry) have to get at least 5 of, where in dotes, there are often at least a dozen item choices that are valid and can produce a wildly different experience with a given character. League doesn't have that flexibility to its detriment, IMO. You can accurately predict 4 of the 6 items that will be in any carry's inventory, regardless of the carry chosen. This doesn't make the game experience less interesting, but it can make the metagame feel boring. Still, it's all about those team fights and getting your items online. That never really gets old. Hopefully, they will introduce some solutions there. You can't even carry (that is in the duo lane) as melee in the game. You can try, but you'll fail.

Having a jungler, however, is just how that game is designed to be played. More rigid...almost like a sport adhering to positions and defined roles. No better or worse; simply different.

Patch? It's not 2015 yet.
This. You guys are crazy. You'll take DireTide and be happy you got anything at all.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yep, the initial grind is awful. I don't understand how people can put in the time to level smurfs. That's at least 15-20 hours of work just to unlock ranked.

• better (arguably) regional structure, which ensures that you're playing with English speakers 99.9% of the time (I've not encountered anyone speaking anything but English in 1,000 matches; compare with your last 5 Dota2 matches)
  • constant website and blog updates, providing the utmost transparency with regards to game/balance changes, plans, events, seeking community feedback via the Beta environment, blog comments and dedicated forums (compare with Valve's "speak only when there may be a riot" approach)
  • a regular stream of brand new characters added annually along with visual updates to older models
  • a more robust reporting system
  • a team on staff dedicated to subtly implement features designed to improve player communication and behavior
  • regular development and release of more videos and stylish dedicated pages event
  • pro events actually start on time and stick to a tight schedule. If a match ends and the next is scheduled to start in 15 minutes...it's going to be drafting in 15 minutes

I hope to see many of these things absorbed into Dotes. It'd be a decidedly better game experience. May be difficult though as some of these luxuries are a function of the size of the team Riot puts on League. The sheer number of people working on the game and within its solar system dictate that they will produce more content. Maybe one day Valve will add a more meaningful-sized team back on Dota. I doubt it, though. They seem to be very content with a small team, 2-4 heroes/year, seasonal gameplay/balance updates and hats.

It's worth pointing out that not a single one of your objectively better points describes an aspect of the actual gameplay.

I don't think it's news that Riot is a huge company who can dedicate all their resources to supporting the shit out of LoL. I still think the visual style and actual gameplay are complete ass compared to Dota 2.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
better (arguably) regional structure, which ensures that you're playing with English speakers 99.9% of the time (I've not encountered anyone speaking anything but English in 1,000 matches; compare with your last 5 Dota2 matches)

Completely disagree with this, for a start you should try playing on EU League and you'll see it's the same as Dota. And I'd need to level up multiple accounts to play with the same people I can play with on Dota with just the one account.

Randdalf

a team on staff dedicated to subtly implement features designed to improve player communication and behavior

Valve definitely have had a guy at some point experimenting with features to subtly improve player behaviour. Mike Ambinder I think his name is, their in-house psychologist. He's the reason why you get questionnaires after the end of some games.

Razzer

"I AM NOT PAYING FOR A CRACKPOT OLD FOOL TO TEACH HIM SOME DUMB GAME"
yelled Uncle Vernon.

"The school's free, its the cosmetics that cost money, idiot."

Lmao. This kickstarter.

Forgot to upgrade was what got me the most, though I was laughing throughout.

Edit: Dreams proving why he's my go to guy when Dota League discussions are going on. On the subject of communication, does league have an equivalent to the alt click messages that have gradually been added to Dota? If not someone should tell Riot to get on that, I honestly think it's the smartest thing Valve have come up with since the spectator client, and should be implemented in some fashion across all multiplayer games of all genres. Such a quick and easy way to convey information across languages, efficiently, and can be done even in frantic fights/whatever high apm moments happen in that game.

Surely chat about the gameplay would come down to taste making it subjective.

I like the ping thing in LoL which they'd add something similar which you can use with the chat wheel.

Ultimatum

Banned
this happens naturally with a larger user base, but yes that's one thing better in LoL

adding content is hard. just because you pump out content doesn't mean you are doing a good job. valve has to spend a long time on each hero to figure out how to fit them in dota 2, studying their effect on the meta, etc. and this work means you have an extremely dynamic meta and viable pool of heroes (which can't be said to the same extend for LoL...)

dota has this too

didn't know it was this good, I wish dota was like that

Yea, you haven't given it a try in some time. Your identified issues are not issues in 2014. There aren't any "filler" items that I can think of, though there are some niche items. I think the bigger itemization problem in the game is the rather strict adherence to a pool of maybe 8 items that certain roles (like carry) have to get at least 5 of, where in dotes, there are often at least a dozen item choices that are valid and can produce a wildly different experience with a given character. League doesn't have that flexibility to its detriment, IMO. You can accurately predict 4 of the 6 items that will be in any carry's inventory, regardless of the carry chosen. This doesn't make the game experience less interesting, but it can make the metagame feel boring. Still, it's all about those team fights and getting your items online. That never really gets old. Hopefully, they will introduce some solutions there. You can't even carry (that is in the duo lane) as melee in the game. You can try, but you'll fail.

Having a jungler, however, is just how that game is designed to be played. More rigid...almost like a sport adhering to positions and defined roles. No better or worse; simply different.
you didn't even address anything in this reply

most sports do not have rigid roles outside of goalkeepers and center/qb, discouraging flexible thinking is not a good thing

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
[*]a regular stream of brand new characters added annually along with visual updates to older models

Not to dogpile, but I disagree on these points. I don't consider a stream of new heroes to be a selling point of the game, although I'm sure there are many that disagree with me. Adding new characters in too short of a timetable is probably a bad thing for games like LoL and Dota, and I prefer Icefrog's approach. While I don't know enough about LoL to say this for certain, I feel like the lanes and roles heroes appear in is far, far more predictable, along with the items that they're going to be purchasing. This probably makes it easier to add in new champions and make balance adjustments. That being said, the pace we're on for hero ports in Dota is a little sad.

I don't know if you can just brush off required jungling as "simply different". It always rubbed me the wrong way how lanes and roles are advertised in LoL, with every game being the guaranteed 1-1-2+jungle. I feel like the variety of laning combinations makes Dota so much more robust overall, even if teams fall into patterns with their drafting the possibility always remains. From what I understand LoL actively balances things to prevent people from playing the game differently, compared to the way dota embraces emergent gameplay, and I would consider that to be strictly worse.

I also don't think positions in sports are an apt comparison, I think a closer one would be the development of the forward pass in football. Same pieces, same field, but a hole in the rules was found allowing the game to be played differently. Still not the best comparison, but you can't ever really make one. I guess the point I'm coming to is that I would rather they say, "here's the map and the champions, do what you want with it" instead of, "Here's the map, and these champions go here, here, and here." I do concede that as much as we like to compare the two games it's getting close to apples to oranges at this point, so you may be right.

inkls

You can remove your goalie in Hockey to get an extra player even though goalie is a defined position. It doesn't happen all the time, but the option is there.

dave is ok

aztek is ok

• While this bullet point is true - there is no game that rewards you less for your time than League of Legends. Getting one free skin per year (if you happened to play enough ranked games to place gold or higher) doesn't change that.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

I don't really consider these to be positives. New maps are fun and the like, but I play dota to play dota; release mod tools and let the community go ham for new maps and game modes.

As for balance transparency, I think this is something that both blizzard and riot really really regret. Icefrog nailed it perfectly when he chose to remain anonymous and mute when it comes to balance debates. It makes it seem like some sort of unknown omnipotent force is behind dota balance lol, and you can discuss and debate amongst your peers, but you expect nothing from the developer himself.

When you give the players a dialogue in balance, when you put a face on the team, it's just nightmarish. It results in so many knee-jerk reactions, and a mob/axe approach to balance. I feel like the developer loses some control and starts making decisions simply to acquiesce to a loud minority instead of just trying to make what they believe are the best balance decisions for the game.

Pro pretty much nailed why new characters aren't always a plus. In fact, I'd say HoN was partly ruined because of the stream of new and shitty characters. There were a few gems in there, but clogging the game with shit isn't a good long term strategy. I'd take quality over quantity here, and would much rather see 1-2 awesome heroes every year or two.

[*]ranked seasons (with rewards)

These are all big positives for league that I want to see in dota, especially the second. All my past and present roommates (and many friends) play LoL and I'm always jealous of the ranking system. The aesthetics and rewards for higher ranks, the feeling of accomplishment as you progress through the tiers, and just overall, it feels like a much nicer system. Not to mention seasons which keep things fresh. Dota needs some sort of ranked overhaul to make it more fleshed out, more than just a number. Some more ranked mode would be nice as well.

I don't care about the communication at any point. I'd rather have once or less posts a month that actually mean something instead of a weekly 'i dunno someone had to write this thing' that won't say anything important and most people will stop reading anyhow. I just think that it doesn't add anything and is a waste of time for all involved.

New characters don't mean anything to me if I they're poorly balanced, don't add anything to the game, or effectively "replace" (do something better than most other heroes in a niche), which combined with a pay for champs model I think can be detrimental to both the balance, players leading to pigeonholing themselves by only playing a few champions (out of focus, out of exhaustion, or out of a lack of time/money), and also the companies time, putting out new things just because they have to or are expected to.

I feel the communication and the balance of the game along with the "rigidity" of the roles can go hand in hand at a certain point.

A random screencap of a league balance:

PgIvXhQ.png

Random screencap of dotes:

oM1MlXS.png

There is no why involved. It doesn't need to be explained, Brew had a really good ability and bounty hunter has more presence in fights now. There is very little that is told to you. Whereas in a release video for League they will straight up tell you what they designed him to be and how to play him in a certain way. I know there are different builds but to just solely encourage a single focus and even balance around it isn't terribly fun for me or good for the overall health. Players can sometimes know better than the developers (PC gaming, mods, and maps can attest to that) and with something like that we would have never gotten a support ganking alch or skeleton king for instance. It's fun to try new things, not be told what something is and how to follow it. I don't know if it's different audiences or what but interpreting things differently and getting in about it is great.

Personally I don't care for ranked. I never did in SC2 and I don't play ranked now. Epeen is just silly. I know I'm in the minority, and if people want it, and Valve wants to give them more options for it great I'm all for that. Just don't wipe my shit for silly seasons reasons and it won't effect me at all.

I also don't care about Tribunal stuff. Still personal. It goes against my earlier point, but the majority of the audience of any game is dumb as shit and looking to them for discipline ends up with nothing but reddit pitchfork nonsense and 'should we ban people for saying this or that' or all sorts of nightmares. Stay out of it in my opinion, have a computer do it, it's not perfect but it's good enough.

"release of more videos and stylish dedicated pages event" I don't know why this would matter. It's a nice little thing, but if there was time that could be spent elsewhere go for it. It's just silly eyecandy.

Also this is why we needed the moba megathread rip boken.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why hasn't Rubick made a comeback with the Tide resurgence?

Rubick got nerfed a lot in the last two year, and hasn't received any changes in a year
Telekinesis cooldown increased from 18 to 22.
Spell Steal
Rubick can no longer steal the Aghanim upgrade of the enemy if they have Aghanim and he doesn't.
Added Aghanim's Scepter upgrade: reduces cooldown from 20/18/16 to 5, increases cast range from 1000 to 1400 and makes all stolen spells be considered to have their Aghanim's upgrade.

Fade Bolt damage decreased from 75/150/225/300 to 70/140/210/280.

Movement speed decreased from 300 to 290.
Fade Bolt bounce AoE decreased from 500 to 440.

Added to Captain's Mode.

Telekinesis manacost decreased from 160 to 120.
Fade Bolt
Manacost increased from 90/95/100/105 to 150.
Cooldown rescaled from 10 to 16/14/12/10.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Can someone catch me up as to why they were expecting a big patch this week?

They already stated there would be nothing for Halloween.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2jz5to/korean_dota_doing_event_next_hero_prediction/

I think people read far too much into "if the next hero comes before the 28th, competition will end early" part. Sounds like Nexon has no idea when the new hero is coming out, all their saying is that it could be in a few days, or could be in a few months.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can someone catch me up as to why they were expecting a big patch this week?

They already stated there would be nothing for Halloween.

There is a poll on Nexon's Facebook on predicting the next hero, where 3 people who get it right you are awarded an unnamed Arcana. The pool closes on the 28th or "If the next hero is revealed earlier it will close at that time."

In addition, the twitter for the Korean VA tweeted about finishing the recording of a new hero a week back, but I think that tweet was deleted.

So while it may not be this week, there is some evidence to support it could be, and I would think Oracle will come out soon, since his English VA has been recorded for over a month now and Valve is in the final stages of polishing the model.

IMO,Because the nerfs made a him a bad support and a meh mid. rubick cant do much before 6 and he is not a very good roamer compared to the current popular supports.
His only way for harassment is his W which is okay but will push your lane and is not spam-able.
Imagine a lane with rubick vs a lane with ogre or sky or tide. what can rubick do? You need to have a lane that can follow up on Lift and that kinda limiting your hero pool.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

I think it's because people favor pro-active supports over reactive ones for supports like Rubick these days. If you want superior teamfight, you pick heroes with big blink ults and supports that can follow that up with some great burst damage--i.e. skywrath, witch doctor, or ogre. Initiate --> blow 1-2 heroes up immediately ---> win the resulting 5v3 with brute force. Rubick is good and all but he has to wait for that ravage to go off, he's gotta wait for the damage to be done and by then the fight might already be lost.

If a team wants reactive supports to turn around fights or keep the engine rolling, they'll probably opt for heroes like Abaddon, Dazzle, or Tree over Rubick. If teams want an offensive support to win fights quickly with some burst or a big R, they'll probably opt for heroes like the aforementioned Ogre, WD, and Skywrath.

Not to mention ravage is a bit more difficult to steal compared to say black hole, tide can cover it quickly with anchor smash. Rubick absolutely needs a blink or force staff and even then it's no guarantee.

manfestival

Seriously does this nonsense have to happen here of lol vs dota 2? I am all for opinions but people please. Both games are great in their own right and no game is perfect. That is for sure. Having 1k+ in dota 2 and 2k+ in league. I can assure you that each game has its problems. Granted im less familiar with leagues as I havent really touched it since like the end of 2012. Can we just move on or create a thread where you all can discuss differences?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
In other news, SF's winrate jumped a whopping 1.5% winrate (which is pretty significant in a game like dota, especially from just a bug fix) after the requiem bug was fixed.

Some people on reddit also saying that Shadowblade will keep you phased and invis for the entire Requiem channel as well now (before, it plopped you out a half second before). Shadowblade SF is the fucking best and now it's way way better ^_^.

Max damage from SF ultimate is now 1440/2160/2880 if you are standing on top of someone.

Seriously does this nonsense have to happen here of lol vs dota 2? I am all for opinions but people please. Both games are great in their own right and no game is perfect. That is for sure. Having 1k+ in dota 2 and 2k+ in league. I can assure you that each game has its problems. Granted im less familiar with leagues as I havent really touched it since like the end of 2012. Can we just move on or create a thread where you all can discuss differences?
It's pretty civil and mostly well written and informed I think, It doesn't seem like nonsense to me. It's not fan boy drivel and it's fun to discuss pros and cons and different ideas.

We had a thread. Some got banned and interest died.

manfestival

It's pretty civil and mostly well written and informed I think, It doesn't seem like nonsense to me. It's not fan boy drivel and it's fun to discuss pros and cons and different ideas.

We had a thread. Some got banned and interest died.

I just find most of the conversation annoying. Pretty much fanboyism oozes from most of the chat even if its pretty civil. At the end of the day, you either like it or you don't. It's annoying if someone is gonna sit there trying to explain to me why something I like is bad in their own eyes instead of being objective about it. I don't care if people argue or talk about pokemon. It's just the old LoL vs dota 2 conversation is the most "toxic" thing that can be posted in here.

Anyways, I know sny can be a controversial item and gets lots of random hate depending on the hero. I like the move on gyro but it seems like twitch chat thinks its really dumb. Is h4nn1 losing his mind or is it a good move for his gyro?

Hylian7

In other news, SF's winrate jumped a whopping 1.5% winrate (which is pretty significant in a game like dota, especially from just a bug fix) after the requiem bug was fixed.

Some people on reddit also saying that Shadowblade will keep you phased and invis for the entire Requiem channel as well now (before, it plopped you out a half second before). Shadowblade SF is the fucking best and now it's way way better ^_^.

Max damage from SF ultimate is now 1440/2160/2880 if you are standing on top of someone.
Give Raze & turn! :(

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Team Tinker 32 minutes in with Lycan and 0 towers taken. Another day, another handful of teams trying to copy EG drafts and failing miserably
chansub-global-emoticon-c8a77ec0c49976d3-22x30.png

Shinypogs

I feel like the only person that misses Diretide.

Diretide was my excuse to play PA and I liked the combination of camaraderie and backstabbing that took place in the first half of the mode. Plus I really liked watching pros stream it, same as with wraith night. It was fun seeing how creative they got in trying to outsmart Valve and break the game.

I'm actually more curious about how Frostivus is going to be cancelled this year unless they actually give us proper Frostivus for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom