• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

/v/ calls it DA:CISquisition because it panders to tumblr users with all the romance BS

Sadly, it would just be unrealistic for the time period if there were romance options for the typical /v/ poster: virtual anime waifus just weren't invented yet.

All of my games today have had 1/2 role carries that have sub-300 GPM. It is literally impossible to carry these fools when they'd rather get a bounty rune than take T1s...

GorillaJu

Yeah but the intent is to show how little you care. Saying you could care less means you're not not-caring as much as you could be and you still care a little.

They both mean the same thing. "Could care less" is sarcastic, "couldn't care less" is literal

Quesa

Yeah but the intent is to show how little you care. Saying you could care less means you're not not-caring as much as you could be and you still care a little.

well yeah but which one is he actually trying to use to convey his thoughts

They both mean the same thing.

You can think of it sarcastically if you like. Same as "that'll teach you to leave your car door open!" meaning "You shouldn't leave your car door open." Or think of it as a shortening of a longer, older expression: "I could care less, but I don't."

Idioms are weird anyway. I know the logic that goes into correcting that phrase but as an English major it's sort of like pointing out the logical inconsistencies of jokes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ah, yes, this is just like when the internet convinced Oxford that "literally" meant "figuratively".

Now "some" can also mean "none".

Soon, zero will equal greater than zero and all hell will break lose as reality collapses in on itself.

I'd put the Spectre on suicide watch for tonight. That's about one of the goofiest throws ever. Awesome game though.

The look his teammate gave him after that was pure exasperation. I never knew a look could convey "what the fuck did you just do" in such great detail.

Re: "I could care less" THIS seems like a far better source than that Richard Spears book.
Basically, "I couldn't care less" was the original phrase, and some dumbass or overly sarcastic American (dependent upon how cynical you are) changed it to "I could care less"

Hylian7

Actually it means the exact opposite, if you think about it. lol...

MVP with the classic throws.

"I couldn't care less." = This is the bare minimum amount of fuck I give.

"I could care less." = I could give less fucks about it than I do now.
I knew your intent but one day you might come across someone who doesn't and you have to be prepared.

Not my problem that they are wrong then. That would be like me saying "We ate, Grandma." vs "We ate Grandma."

Acinixys

I disagree

The original is there to show that you care 0 and could not care less than zero

"I could care less" means that you care at least 1 and that destroys the entire point of the statement

Haly

caring.png

Not my problem that they are wrong then. That would be like me saying "We ate, Grandma." vs "We ate Grandma."

except one is pronunciation and punctuation, where as one is 2 phrases that mean "I could not possibly care less than I do right now" and "I could care less than I do right now" which are incompatible with eachother. But as we have learned through the power of the internet, the latter phrase is an American idiom that does not require linguistic accuracy, by nature of being an idiom.

Everyone I know just assumed it was American's being silly, it's never used here.

Turns out it is!

Haly

Esports scrabble, do it.

qojqva on a triple word score bonus for MAXIMUM POINTS PER MINUTE.

xanavi

It's a doggy-dog world you should of thought of the consequences for you're error. Irregardless its the same difference and I literally could care less for all intensive purposes so you're point is mute per say.

Haly

English is being killed right before our eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom