• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

The two or three times I've had techies on my team they were absolutely horrible.

Literally not a single mine down before 5 minutes and one time where he went boots only max suicide.

It's not that hard of a concept to understand.
facepalm.gif

bounchfx

Yeah, it's been super weird watching techies in games lately. Even moreso because every single time I've seen him, he's played completely different.

but still usually terrible.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Sooooooo... did they just flat out release Techies without a single balance change? That's kinda... shiesty...

On a tangential note it's interesting that for so long it was almost accepted knowledge that part of the reason Techies was so long in coming was that Icefrog was unhappy with the hero and wanted to redesign it, and it wouldn't come to Dota 2 until after that was done. Obviously none of that came true.

Artanisix

On a tangential note it's interesting that for so long it was almost accepted knowledge that part of the reason Techies was so long in coming was that Icefrog was unhappy with the hero and wanted to redesign it, and it wouldn't come to Dota 2 until after that was done. Obviously none of that came true.

Accepted knowledge? I don't think so. I personally don't know anyone who thought Icefrog was unhappy with Techies and was going to remake him.

bounchfx

OK actually does anyone know what this is or where it came from

yes

no reason to get hyped though
edit: ill elaborate for the sake of it. It's exactly what it says on the text (A treasure (proposal)). I'm honestly not sure where you found that image though lol. Oroboros has a pet project chest involving a dozen people or so. I don't really want to say more because I think he wants it to be a surprise. but he's revealing it tomorrow so we'll all see soon enough I guess. I only have two items in there.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Accepted knowledge? I don't think so. I personally don't know anyone who thought Icefrog was unhappy with Techies and was going to remake him.

I dunno, it's definitely something I saw many people saying over the past year or two.

Figured since they had a chance to waitch TI4 and time to reflect on it we'd see a big Balance+Content release all at once. Interested to see what they do to shake things up.
you keep using the plural form "they"
I dunno, it's definitely something I saw many people saying over the past year or two.

a lot of people say a lot of things

Are there any standout Techies players yet? ones worth watching some replays of?

wagamama right now has played a lot of him

his vods are behind his sub paywall though :(

but you can watch them in client

and he streams a lot

Best way to break a losing streak is to play a single draft game where the other team apparently had no idea how Nyx works.

Perks of the trench, I guess

tehh4ck3r

Neo Member
I was out of town all weekend but what happened that caused EG to blaze through WEC?

they just used vici-style deathball for most of their matches (they beat na'vi in 9 minutes and C9 in 13).

also they used a neat drafting trick where they picked naga and then ran it as a support.

also universe's void is really good

Goddard

Does anyone have advice for using the first BKB charge? I usually play hard carry (3K ranked,) and even after 1050 games, whenever I buy a bkb, I always wait way too long to use the 10 second charge, its always up on a pedestal. After that I always use it when I need to, to save my life, or to help win a team fight with void or whatever, but I've lost my fair share of teamfights due to not triggering a fresh bkb.

manfestival

they just used vici-style deathball for most of their matches (they beat na'vi in 9 minutes and C9 in 13).

also they used a neat drafting trick where they picked naga and then ran it as a support.

also universe's void is really good

interesting all around. super happy to see that c9 cant win still

Goddard

By the way I think I deserve some sort of trophy for my pudge win rate, I would bet a rare that it is the lowest on GAF that isn't 0.

7.68% 1-12

I don't get this hero, I can do as well as I want, sometimes even as much as 10-1, but I can't win with him.

tehh4ck3r

Neo Member
By the way I think I deserve some sort of trophy for my pudge win rate, I would bet a rare that it is the lowest on GAF that isn't 0.

7.68% 1-12

I don't get this hero, I can do as well as I want, sometimes even as much as 10-1, but I can't win with him.

i have a 12% winrate with alchemist after 13 games -_-

you keep using the plural form "they"

While Icefrog does make the final call (as far as I can tell) I imagine he doesn't handle every single task singlehandedly. DotA 2 is developed by a team, and I imagine they have a decent amount of input.

speaking of waga, what was the deal with all the drama with him and v1lat.. i have no idea what's going on with that

Long story short, it's an old grudge between them from the DotA 1 days of SL. Basically Waga posted on Reddit in a topic about SL giving a team a forgeit loss in the Finals for their division, recanting his personal experience with v1lat.

The basics of it were that when Waga was in college he was playing DotA 1 and his team qualified for the LAN finals. It would have cost them about $1,000 (not sure what currency it actually was so I'll put dollars for ease) for their whole team to make it, which they couldn't afford. He spoke personally to v1lat and v1lat said if they could cover the cost SL would re-imburse them half. So they borrowed and spent all of their money to get everything booked. Then whenever Waga tried contacting v1lat he kept evading and saying he was busy, that they would handle it later. It went on for several days and eventually v1lat just ignored him entirely. They never ended up getting reimbursed.

Goddard

i have a 12% winrate with alchemist after 13 games -_-

38% with alchemist out of 78 games, boom. Like 30 of them were prior to 6.79 though. I fucking hate modern alchemist. +700 health and the 7 second countdown stun made the character a whole hell of a lot better than he is now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
6.79 Alch was my favorite, you had easier to hit stun, high night vision, the the fast regening HP. I personally feel the high HP regen is far better then a raw HP boost.

Also, Mirana and PA are both tied for what I feel is my worst win rate. am 1-6 with both of them.

shira

7.68% 1-12

I'm better than RTZ and I'm only 50% on Pudge. Couldn't land a hook if my life depended on it. I go shadowblade, max stats and rot.

Hylian7

You know what's worse than a supportless team in pubs? A carryless team. Seriously. If you lose the early game that's it, you lose.

sixghost

You know what's worse than a supportless team in pubs? A carryless team. Seriously. If you lose the early game that's it, you lose.

I'll take the team of supports any day. You can actually go and win the game with a bunch of early game heroes. Playing with a team full of carries basically consists of hoping the other team is too dumb to just group up and kill all your towers; then you're sitting in your base at 18 minutes with no outer towers and no where to farm.

If the pro meta of the last couple months has taught me anything it's that you don't need true carries to win a game of dota.

Hylian7

I'll take the team of supports any day. You can actually go and win the game with a bunch of early game heroes. Playing with a team full of carries basically consists of hoping the other team is too dumb to just group up and kill all your towers; then you're sitting in your base at 18 minutes with no outer towers and no where to farm.

If the pro meta of the last couple months has taught me anything it's that you don't need true carries to win a game of dota.

I understand that, I'm just saying if your team loses it in the first 10 minutes, you have no "Well I guess there's lategame" to rely on.

Yeah, being 5 carries sucks, but at the very least you have the slim option of "just survive til lategame" and maybe you can come back. You fuck it up first 10 minutes with 5 non-carries, then you've lost.

sixghost

I understand that, I'm just saying if your team loses it in the first 10 minutes, you have no "Well I guess there's lategame" to rely on.

Yeah, being 5 carries sucks, but at the very least you have the slim option of "just survive til lategame" and maybe you can come back. You fuck it up first 10 minutes with 5 non-carries, then you've lost.

I think the difference is that the outcome of the game is at least in your hands with the carry-less team. That's more fun to me than being the guy not farming in a Medusa/PA dual lane hoping the game somehow goes on for another 50 minutes.

Hylian7

I think the difference is that the outcome of the game is at least in your hands with the carry-less team. That's more fun to me than being the guy not farming in a Medusa/PA dual lane hoping the game somehow goes on for another 50 minutes.

I'd rather not have the deal sealed in 10 minutes. The rest of the match just feels like a waste of time and makes you wish for a concede button after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom