• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It's never happened to me, but at least 3 people crash every time I load into an ARDM game. It seems to happen right at that loading bar where the game seems to be calculating all of the random heroes that your team will be receiving for the game. I'm guessing that the calculations involved in figuring out which random heroes you get is a bit too much for what it should be. Maybe those calculations should start being done server side, or something else needs to change since some people's hardware may not be able to handle the sort of load it is trying to throw at their computer.

They aren't calculating what heroes will be picked, they are loading the models to all the heroes. They can't do that server side.

engineer, far better hero

i read the wiki he sounds terrible

People absolutely detest the purchase of a divine rapier. I've been trying out that Slahser Medusa build and every time they see your items they go "no divine pls no god no". Even when you kill an entire team solo they ask to report you...

because if you fuck up (and people do that all the time) you give them free damage and a better chance at a win

its just making it riskier than it needs to be

granted you shouldn't be reported for it

The worst that happened is my teammates told (not to be mean or anything, just being stupid) the other team I had just bought the rapier after we killed Roshan around the 20 minute mark. I was hoping the rapier would be a suprise in the following teamfights, they would have all died really fast and would not have understood why. Instead they prepared a bait and focused me really hard.

if they didnt understand and didnt click on you they deserved it

Wok

People absolutely detest the purchase of a divine rapier. I've been trying out that Slahser Medusa build and every time they see your items they go "no divine pls no god no". Even when you kill an entire team solo they ask to report you...

The worst that happened is my teammates told (not to be mean or anything, just being stupid) the other team I had just bought the rapier after we killed Roshan around the 20 minute mark. I was hoping the rapier would be a suprise in the following teamfights, they would have all died really fast and would not have understood why. Instead they prepared a bait and focused me really hard. The rapier was dropped, the ennemy Windranger took it and started afk farming in the jungle with it (some people love watching their hero do a lot of damage to creeps). We got the rapier back and our Bristleback took it only to go afk farming with it and let us 4 vs 5 in teamfights. Rapier can be good, but the best thing about Rapier on Medusa is not the Rapier, it is the surprise at the 21 min push and teamfight.

because if you fuck up (and people do that all the time) you give them free damage and a better chance at a win

I disagree with the better chance at a win. Not many heroes are good with a Rapier. Windranger could not carry it for more than 1-2 minutes. Medusa is both tanky and has splitshot. The only thing needed is damage or attack speed. Going Rapier on Medusa is risky against some line-ups, but it can be safe against a lof of drafts. Going Rapier against Riki, Zeus, Spectre, Mirana was not a good idea for instance, because getting the Rapier back is incredibly hard.

lWlTUfA.png

I was not manly enough to buy a rapier in every of these games though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Surprisingly enough I've only ever done a dumb ass rapier rush twice and both times nobody complained. I really thought the Rapier rush Treant Protector was gonna draw some ire but everybody loved it until we lost.

Acinixys

Been playing Legion Commander mid for two weeks straight now. This hero wins virtually any match up that's not Razor or TA. I usually draw even with Viper. Invoker, Pudge, Zeus and the likes get rekt so bad in lane, I make the enemy mid abandon in like 20% of all games at 4k MMR.

Holy shit, if LC mid ever becomes a thing in pubs. People have no idea what's brewing.

So...

Solo Mid Legion
is pretty brutal

This game was pretty stompy once myself and Husk started roaming

Plus Tusk and Techies were just having their own bug fulled fun top and did pretty badly

I dont think that guy is going to play mid Ember again for a long while

sixghost

Been playing Legion Commander mid for two weeks straight now. This hero wins virtually any match up that's not Razor or TA. I usually draw even with Viper. Invoker, Pudge, Zeus and the likes get rekt so bad in lane, I make the enemy mid abandon in like 20% of all games at 4k MMR.

Holy shit, if LC mid ever becomes a thing in pubs. People have no idea what's brewing.

Have you ever played vs Brew mid? The only time I've ever played LC mid was in AR against Brew, and I felt like I couldn't really get him out of lane. The clap + evasion and bottle made him too tanky despite hitting him with tons of Qs.

Wok

I have tried the carry Earthshaker suggested a month ago by slahser. I feel that I have been playing ES wrong all the time before trying this build. Fissure does not deserve more than a point, he is right. Enchant totem is incredibly strong with a point in Aftershock. With some heroes, once you get the correct build, the game becomes smooth. Choose the wrong build and the hero seems slow, always mana-hungry and with no impact in teamfights.

I disagree with the better chance at a win. Not many heroes are good with a Rapier. Windranger could not carry it for more than 1-2 minutes. Medusa is both tanky and has splitshot. The only thing needed is damage or attack speed. Going Rapier on Medusa is risky against some line-ups, but it can be safe against a lof of drafts. Going Rapier against Riki, Zeus, Spectre, Mirana was not a good idea for instance, because getting the Rapier back is incredibly hard.

lWlTUfA.png

hey we have the same medusa winrate

it doesnt matter who they have it on

its solely the fact that you dont

congrats now youre a medusa with solely boots and youre worthless because you got caught out

Wok

hey we have the same medusa winrate

it doesnt matter who they have it on

its solely the fact that you dont

congrats now youre a medusa with solely boots and youre worthless because you got caught out

You are not worthless because you can farm the skadi really fast after getting the rapier (we are not talking about feeding the rapier in the "suprise" fight, so you are supposed to get a triple kill, and then free farm pushing the lanes or afk farming the jungle). Plus a good ultimate is sufficient to allow your team to get the rapier back.

so people dont gank you and shes still good as a support got it

As slahser said, your teammates will want to stick with Medusa once she gets the rapier.

I will try the build again, but so far, it worked wonder.

I have tried the carry Earthshaker suggested a month ago by slahser. I feel that I have been playing ES wrong all the time before trying this build. Fissure does not deserve more than a point, he is right. Enchant totem is incredibly strong with a point in Aftershock. With some heroes, once you get the correct build, the game becomes smooth. Choose the wrong build and the hero seems slow, always mana-hungry and with no impact in teamfights.

I might try his Morph guide since everytime I play him I have a sad time.

Razzer

You are not worthless because you can farm the skadi really fast after getting the rapier (we are not talking about feeding the rapier in the "suprise" fight, so you are supposed to get a triple kill, and then free farm pushing the lanes or afk farming the jungle). Plus a good ultimate is sufficient to allow your team to get the rapier back.

As slahser said, your teammates will want to stick with Medusa once she gets the rapier.

I will try the build again, but so far, it worked wonder.

Rapier Medusa is still viable because you can have massive impact with it compared to other heroes, but Steve's point is that it's still a very risky build so he can see why strangers would feel nervous when someone builds it. It's asking a lot for them to trust you on that one. Saying 'she farms fast' isn't really enough, that's over 5000 gold down the drain, and if you only have boots and maybe Yasha you aren't farming super fast anyway, splitshot needs you to have damage before it makes you stronger. Not to mention Medusa needs a lot of time to come online with conventional items, and the alternative would be a second rapier, which at that point is pushing your luck way to far.

The build is legit, as the impact you have in the 5 mins you will hold onto it at the very least is enough. But don't downplay the negatives.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What if they just implemented one or two balance changes a day from now until the end of September

Kard8p3

i thought it was a courier at first too due to the legs. I think if the legs were removed and it was just that loin cloth it would be fine, as the other forged spirits don't have legs iirc.

JustinBB7

Snowball bug has been fixed. RIP.

I legit thought it was a
courier

I don't think that should get be in the game.

Is the all hero challenge fixed yet that you know off?

Also that looks like an ember spirit ult thingy to me, rather than a forge spirit..

Acinixys

Wow

They patch out the Tusk+Mines bug, and take the opportunity to remove 3 more full sets from the drop list

In a month we will have nothing left to drop

Is there any way to use bot matches as some kind of approximation for when you are ready to hit the trenches? I realize everyone sucks for a long time (forever?), but I want to at least not feed hardcore when I get into my first live game. Right now I can usually play through Hard bots without a somewhat respectable death count.

Just go play vs Human

As long as you understand last hitting and you know not to overextend onto their side of the map you will be fine

Anno

Is there any way to use bot matches as some kind of approximation for when you are ready to hit the trenches? I realize everyone sucks for a long time (forever?), but I want to at least not feed hardcore when I get into my first live game. Right now I can usually play through Hard bots without a somewhat respectable death count.

Quesa

Wow

They patch out the Tusk+Mines bug, and take the opportunity to remove 3 more full sets from the drop list

that might be the intention. Weren't people saying something about revamping the drop system? Or was that just Steve postulating

RS4-

Nah, don't use bot games. Just play and learn from the games against people.

that might be the intention. Weren't people saying something about revamping the drop system? Or was that just Steve postulating

I kind of think they're reworking it too.

But this seems like a weird way to phase it out...

And hopefully what replaces it isn't really dumb. The item drop system is a huge advantage Dota has over other F2P games

Quesa

Go for it. Lots of people have way less experience when they first play vs people. You're gonna feed at one point, just roll with it

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Do you have any friends to queue with? If so, trial by fire, ask a lot of questions and try to take in as much as possible. If you don't have friends you should still just jump in and play. Be ready for some harassment, but keep an eye out for anybody that seems to know what they are doing and try to absorb as much from them as possible.

Nothing is going to make you not suck for your first few months. Bot matches are a terrible, terrible tool for learning the game. I spent most of my first few months randoming heroes. I'd random, not know what I was doing for most of the game, but if I thought the hero seemed interesting I would go youtube search for some Purge games with that hero and see what I could do to play it better. You could probably do better at the start if you stick to a small handful of noob friendly heroes, but that's the cowards way. I feel like you're probably going to learn the game faster the quicker you can get at least one full game played with every hero.

shira

Can you guess what this is?

Its a forged spirit for Invoker wtf though it was a courier or something
Wat? I thought this was an Ember remnant.

Trench is sub 5k.

Anno

Do you have any friends to queue with? If so, trial by fire, ask a lot of questions and try to take in as much as possible. If you don't have friends you should still just jump in and play. Be ready for some harassment, but keep an eye out for anybody that seems to know what they are doing and try to absorb as much from them as possible.

Nothing is going to make you not suck for your first few months. Bot matches are a terrible, terrible tool for learning the game. I spent most of my first few months randoming heroes. I'd random, not know what I was doing for most of the game, but if I thought the hero seemed interesting I would go youtube search for some Purge games with that hero and see what I could do to play it better. You could probably do better at the start if you stick to a small handful of noob friendly heroes, but that's the cowards way. I feel like you're probably going to learn the game faster the quicker you can get at least one full game played with every hero.

This is kinda what I've been doing. I decide just to find an item/skill build I like for Jakiro, Lich, Sven and DK and practice those enough to go from there without thinking too much about the build. Also watched some Purge-plays things and a few matches on DotaTV from the player perspective. I'm okay with the basic mechanics of the game, it's the next level of stuff (remembering to hit my stick/wand, remembering to always have a TP, properly microing the courier, remembering to and properly pull/double pull etc.) that get me, and I think the bots have done a decent job of practicing that since it's more or less all stuff independent of who I'm playing against. But yeah, I guess it's time to put those away and take a stab at a real game.

Wow

Just go play vs Human

As long as you understand last hitting and you know not to overextend onto their side of the map you will be fine

Well man, everyone could do with more Abaddon items. #valvelogic

Hylian7

Anyone else that streams having trouble with OBS after today's update? I couldn't get my mic to work, but it works on everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom