• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ah fair enough. I feel so out of the game, I don't even know what came in the Techies patch (barring techies of course).

ARDM was formally released, along with other compendium rewards. I'm really hoping for 6.82 by the end of the month, along with our Base Hats.

Also, PPD went into a bit more detail on Mason:
I'll try and be more detailed since you guys are so interested. It boiled down to a few things.
1. Mason refused to learn/practice as much as we wanted him to.
2. When asked to learn new heroes he refused.
3. Mason was a sub for fear because everyone else was already on a team they could not leave due to ti4 invite structure.
4. Even tho we loved hanging out with mason some of his social etiquette was unacceptable and not everyone was a fan of his interesting personality.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2g0dq6/eg_ppd_ama_thread_wed_sept_10/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gies' team lost 5v4 in the Rektreational.
mxDi8XQ.gif

BeesEight

ARDM was formally released, along with other compendium rewards. I'm really hoping for 6.82 by the end of the month, along with our Base Hats.

Ohhh, ARDM. I enjoyed ability draft the first few crazy games it came out. Should give that a whirl at some time.

Is there any indication that 6.82 is on its way? Don't those usually come out in October?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is there any indication that 6.82 is on its way? Don't those usually come out in October?

SirBelvedere, who has a pretty long record at this point of being reliable, stated that the private beta updates in the last few weeks have been 6.82.

And no there is not a specific month of the year to expect a balance patch.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ohhh, ARDM. I enjoyed ability draft the first few crazy games it came out. Should give that a whirl at some time.

Its clearly in the works, and looking at past patches Icefrog normally has roughly a 2 month turn around from first test version pushed to release. It could be in October, but the community seems to be a bit sick of this version so I could see him trying to push it out this month.

Quesa

I don't know why the sf remake is getting this much to-do, either by fans or valve. Other remakes happened rather unceremoniously (veno and lion, for example).

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I don't know why the sf remake is getting this much to-do, either by fans or valve. Other remakes happened rather unceremoniously (veno and lion, for example).

-sf has been one of the most popular and iconic dota1 heroes for a loooong time
-sf's model and (to a lesser extent) animations are really really shitty (as he was one of the first heroes unveiled)
-community is really antsy because we've found hints of his remodel scattered about for the last year and a half or so (so everyone always asks, is this the patch???)
-Valve probably working on it very slowly because of the the first 2 reasons, gotta make it perfect, and they also probably (i think it's confirmed?) want to launch an arcana with it for maximum $$$

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder what the reasons for the change to how often new tickets are patched in. Does Valve simply desire to slow down the rate of patches? I can imagine its likely super annoying for Lan Cafe owners. Maybe its to help streamline the entire process, its likely getting messing approving and paying out so many tournaments at once.

I wonder what the reasons for the change to how often new tickets are patched in. Does Valve simply desire to slow down the rate of patches? I can imagine its likely super annoying for Lan Cafe owners. Maybe its to help streamline the entire process, its likely getting messing approving and paying out so many tournaments at once.

i think its in the future so there is some actual planning ahead at some point so you have to submit your ticket a month ahead of time at least

valve wont be caught having to patch the game just for 'omg this tournament is half done already where is ticket' and the organizers can just get their shit together more which will always be a good thing

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
i think its in the future so there is some actual planning ahead at some point so you have to submit your ticket a month ahead of time at least

valve wont be caught having to patch the game just for 'omg this tournament is half done already where is ticket' and the organizers can just get their shit together more which will always be a good thing

That could be it, before I think it was 7 to 10 days before hand. There have been a few major tournaments where the thing starts before the ticket is in the store, like the last ESL.

Also, ESL never feels like it is run all that well.

BeesEight

Hm, well that'll be really great if we get 6.82 so close to Techies release. I was sort of expecting them to go back to a couple months hibernation before the next big patch.

Unless it's just like Spring Cleaning. Which is also another possibility I suppose.

Chris R

Drow is fucking OP when playing players that can't commit. They come at you, you silence and slow them and then they turn and think they can outrun you for some reason :/

Got to love games when the other team blames the lane you were in for the loss :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why is Batrider allowed? He seems so insanely strong.

Your team farmed and bought good items.

How does a midas Doom have 350gpm is that even possible
Passive 75 Gold + 100 Per Minute from Midas + 100 gold from Devour = 275 baseline GPM. The guy has 172 last hits, I assume he simply wasn't using Midas and Devour as much as he should of.

Wok

Techies is perfect to punish greedy picks, be it in your team or in the ennemy team. If the ennemy team has no or few sentry wards, typically one or no support, you reach level 6 and blow them up. If you team has only late game carry heroes and techies, the ennemy team just pushes all the towers and the carry heroes unintentionally feed while you cannot help much as Techies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Why is Batrider allowed? He seems so insanely strong.

Your team farmed and bought good items.

How does a midas Doom have 350gpm is that even possible
I think he spent a LOT of time sitting in the top lane trying to stop us from splitpushing with familiars and howl while the rest of his team was fighting.

I'm so sick of this new trend of max degen aura, clunk you slowly to death Omni Knights. In fact, I'm just sick of Omni Knight in general, hero is such a pain to play against. I think one of the big things though is that people seem to forget that his ulti doesn't block magical damage, so you have Liches not throwing ults and shit because the enemy team is glowing.

I play a lot of Omni lately. I love the hell out of that hero. Whenever my team lets me I go mid. I buy Battle Fury, Mjolnir, AC, things like that. Forget building movement speed and hitting like a chump. That's stupid when you already have Degen. Gotta hid hard and fast, tank up and be the first one in the shit. He's kinda like Wraith King but with heal bombs instead of a good stun.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I almost feel bad for Solo. Literally any time he makes any mistake someone calls out 322 in Twitch chat.

I almost feel bad for Xboct. Literally any time he makes any mistake someone calls out 4/OpieOP in Twitch chat.

I almost feel bad for PieLieDie. Literally any time he makes any mistake someone calls out PieLieDIED in Twitch chat.

I almost feel bad for EternalEnvy. Literally any time he makes any mistake someone calls out fEEd in Twitch chat.

Et cetera.

Techies

Tell me your secrets.

Well, I do tend to get a lot of first bloods by hiding up the enemy hill middle and suicide low armored mid players like invoker etc. Boots + Suicide.

It's somewhat risky but the first blood payoff is great for a hero like techies, you have your boots already and almost got your soul ring by then.
Even if you do fail the kill enemy, your mid is still at an advantage because of the damage you did. They either gonna run home or use a lot of consumables.

The other thing is just knowing the mechanics, if have enough remotest at one tower, just move on to another lane (You gain xp from kill anywhere on the map). Some of the best spots to catch out an enemy is the first tier tower so you would want to keep those up as long as possible and not allow the enemy to gain momentum via their gold.

You might not be able to do three lanes, but it's very possible to keep 2 lanes fully intact for a very long time.

This one might be controversial, but with techies you'd actually want the lane pushed, if creeps are near their tower they can't see you where your planting mines.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What positions, lanes, item builds do you go?
When and where do you start using mines for warding or stacked camp farming?
At your MMR how aggressive or counter smart do you place your mines?

One thing I've been liking is playing offlane and just mining camps to block spawns of one. Then you can stack and pull into it later.

*I go Soul Ring, Arcanes, Force, Aghs -> Hex

Haunted

Broodmother DONE

Took 4 games, but I actually carried the team through the early game in the eventual win. Went 9-1 and wrecked towers until our Tinker came online. Not a moment to soon, because I kinda fell off as they started defending as five and bigger fights got more frequent. Tinker took over and I ended up with 12-7 and feeling good about my performance. It also was the first of the four games that allowed me to go solo as Brood and it really does make a huge difference.

shira

Well, I do tend to get a lot of first bloods by hiding up the enemy hill middle and suicide low armored mid players like invoker etc. Boots + Suicide.

It's somewhat risky but the first blood payoff is great for a hero like techies, you have your boots already and almost got your soul ring by then.
Even if you do fail the kill enemy, your mid is still at an advantage because of the damage you did. They either gonna run home or use a lot of consumables.

The other thing is just knowing the mechanics, if have enough remotest at one tower, just move on to another lane (You gain xp from kill anywhere on the map). Some of the best spots to catch out an enemy is the first tier tower so you would want to keep those up as long as possible and not allow the enemy to gain momentum via their gold.

You might not be able to do three lanes, but it's very possible to keep 2 lanes fully intact for a very long time.

This one might be controversial, but with techies you'd actually want the lane pushed, if creeps are near their tower they can't see you where your planting mines.

Whats your build?

I usually go double bottle or 2-3 mana void stones since I'm the ward bitch. I tried blink/force/shadowblade to gap close but they don't really help for mid/lategame suicides.

Eul's is helpful but you can't reliably set the stun. I find the aghs is only good for clearing waves quickly. Like I'll bot tp and use a mine for one wave and then remote aghs mine for the next wave and fast push.

He's just too mana hungry. Even bloodstone isn't enough to sustain constant mining because you die so often.

Next up in the all hero challenge, the permanently invulnerable Riki. I've never played him before, how do I build his skills? 1-1-1 at lvl 3, then max backstab -> blink strike -> smoke bomb? Or smoke bomb over blink strike?

Pratfall

Next up in the all hero challenge, the permanently invulnerable Riki. I've never played him before, how do I build his skills? 1-1-1 at lvl 3, then max backstab -> blink strike -> smoke bomb? Or smoke bomb over blink strike?

Don't play a ton of Riki but I think you do 1 point in backstab until you have a couple agi items. The bonus damage and cooldown reduction from blink strike is much better early game. In terms of backstab vs smoke cloud, I'm not totally sure.

Sentenza

I'm not really sure if it's just me not being capable of exalting his latent potential or if Beastmaster is in fact a bit of a useless tosser.

Don't play a ton of Riki but I think you do 1 point in backstab until you have a couple agi items. The bonus damage and cooldown reduction from blink strike is much better early game. In terms of backstab vs smoke cloud, I'm not totally sure.

That's what I thought at first, but I figured since Riki has such good agi even early game (34+2.9), the extra backstab damage would be significant. Say you're level 7 with agi treads, poor man's shield and magic wand, that's 68.4 agi and thus 34.2/51.3/68.4/85.5 bonus damage per backstab, at 0.86 seconds per attack. I agree the cd reduction on blink strike is nice but it only gives 30 extra magic damage per level. Backstab also makes last hitting easier.

Note: this is all on paper, I could be a clueless theorycrafter.

That's what I thought at first, but I figured since Riki has such good agi even early game (34+2.9), the extra backstab damage would be significant. Say you're level 7 with agi treads, poor man's shield and magic wand, that's 68.4 agi and thus 34.2/51.3/68.4/85.5 bonus damage per backstab. I agree the cd reduction on blink strike is nice but it only gives 30 extra magic damage per level.

Note: this is all on paper, I could be a clueless theorycrafter.

If you plan on laning for awhile, just take the extra backstab to control the lane now that it works on denies, you'll be farming till diff is up, at which point a lower leveled blink strike will do you. But if shit goes down and you need to fight, I'd start leveling blink strike instead so you can move around more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom