• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How many sets are we down to in the drop list?

45. If things keep up, we will be down to 24 next month.

I assume Valve is going to do some revamp to the item drop system, or just rotate back in old sets. Maybe I'll make a big deal of it on reddit when I get home, I'm sure I can make a flashy headline.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
FE5DBC9ECB443B2F420DACC7D6FEAE542403BC7E

#roadto4k

tehh4ck3r

Neo Member
45. If things keep up, we will be down to 24 next month.

I assume Valve is going to do some revamp to the item drop system, or just rotate back in old sets. Maybe I'll make a big deal of it on reddit when I get home, I'm sure I can make a flashy headline.

don't all new item sets get automatically added to the drop list?

Chris R

Players abusing the noob gift is a new thing to me :/ Tidehunter our side went 0-18, their Kunkka went 21-3

Both got the new player gift.

Volvo plz ban the fuckers by IP

Chris R

You mean the level 2 box, or something else?

Is it level 2? I thought it was level 1. The Kunkka side of the account is public and from Russia and has a single game played (the one I just lost)

He was fucking terrible too, missing boats on stationary targets...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You transform into a cute cosplayer girl?

This is just like one of my magical girl animus.

NBtoaster

PSA: before the game starts, do not just walk to the t3 and afk. Either block the creeps in your lane, check the runes, ward or gank. If you're mid, blocking creeps is almost always better than doing other things.

Chris R

Those teams... when you are the the best but you did a terrible job...

Maaaaan we could have won. I got a slow ass 15 min blink on SK in the Jungle but everyone else had shit for farm in the meantime. At least I only fucked up one epi, and that was because dark seer saw me and got a vac off.

I bought the BH boomerang from the Twin Blades Assassin set, only to find that for some reason, the custom boomerang toss effect is tied to a different item in that set! The hell? :C

edit: or did the custom boomerang throw not make it into the game? there was a custom throw in the video that accompanied the original submission

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
He died once every ~113 seconds over the course of a 50 minute game what the fuck

edit: he dealt the most damage though
I think part of the reason he did the most damage was his normal 'plan' was to run at a group of 4, place nether ward, try and fight, then get killed, so he did a few hundred in damage every time he died.

Hylian7

While I may be bad at pudge, at least I didn't go 6/27 as Pugna:
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/890465539

He just fed so damn much, it was horrible.

I think part of the reason he did the most damage was his normal 'plan' was to run at a group of 4, place nether ward, try and fight, then get killed, so he did a few hundred in damage every time he died.
Christ, I'm guessing Pugna was his current AHC hero too.

Also I know that game called for the Pipe, but usually you can safely skip hood. Get you a nice Urn, faster blink, etc.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
wow do i not understand how half the heroes in this game work

lifestealer just seems useless to me and yet i'm informed that he's a great carry

moggio

Banned

lifestealer just seems useless to me and yet i'm informed that he's a great carry

The faster you hit the more HP you steal; the more HP the enemy has the more HP you steal.

That's why it's generally a bad idea to get a Heart against LS.

Razzer

In fairness, Lifestealer is not as good as he was, especially in this meta. In a team that has some way to perform a Naix bomb, he can be super scary, and his 1v1 manfighting is very very good. Problem is he's easily kited, and Rage doesn't last as long as a BKB. Put him with a team that has plenty of lockdown and he excels. (This is why heroes like Puck and Storm work so damn well with him, they provide great Infest targets and help chase people down for LS)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Remember that your Q is a pseudo-BKB. It takes some time to know when you can stick around and when you can't as well as who to prioritise clawing in the face.

i can't even focus down a warlock.

this hero is trash, i wont be convinced otherwise.

[edit] i mean the warlock has more hp than i do. c'mon.

Pratfall

i can't even focus down a warlock.

this hero is trash, i wont be convinced otherwise.

[edit] i mean the warlock has more hp than i do. c'mon.

you have a lot to learn my man, try not to get too frustrated

in other news, I lost to a brown boots dagon NP yesterday. The depth with which I despise that hero knows no bottom.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
you have a lot to learn my man, try not to get too frustrated

yeah i know. i see it as a learning experience. i'm playing a bot game to see what lifestealer is like and that makes his ulti pretty worthless (you just have to guess when they'll go near an enemy).

but there are heroes where's it's really obvious what you're doing (drow, lich, wraith king), and playing as them is fun. with a hero like lifestealer it's completely unclear to me what his role is supposed to be. you can't stun anyone, you can't lock anyone down, your right-click damage doesn't seem that good (if you don't have items)...it feels less like being a jack of all trades and more like a jack of none of them.

[edit] it doesn't help that the most popular hero guide recommends that you jungle and get an early hand of midas. that seems way outside of my ability level.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I find it interesting that from a lot of recent AMAs and interviews most pros seem to agree that C9 is likely stronger with fata then with sing. Maybe sing just makes for a bad team mate.

Lifestealer needs a few items to prevent getting kited all over the place. Especially if his team lacks stuns or other lockdowns.

He has a place but he's not an obvious hero like Drow.. get some items on him and find a high str hero to chow down on.

Pratfall

yeah i know. i see it as a learning experience. i'm playing a bot game to see what lifestealer is like and that makes his ulti pretty worthless (you just have to guess when they'll go near an enemy).

but there are heroes where's it's really obvious what you're doing (drow, lich, wraith king), and playing as them is fun. with a hero like lifestealer it's completely unclear to me what his role is supposed to be. you can't stun anyone, you can't lock anyone down, your right-click damage doesn't seem that good (if you don't have items)...it feels less like being a jack of all trades and more like a jack of none of them.

Lifestealer synergizes with heroes who can get close to the enemy quickly, either natural blink heroes like queen of pain, heroes with a ton of mobility like storm spirit, or heroes who typically buy blink like puck or batrider. Infest your ally, they blink in, you burst out of them and go to town. Since bots will never work with you this way, bot games are a bad place to learn some heroes and lifestealer is one of them.

Generally, hard carries are harder to learn in bot matches because your allied bots are so dumb. You gotta just play them against humans to see their true potential.

Also remember that you can use infest on an enemy creep or a jungle creep and get a good chunk of HP back if you are caught out.

Hylian7

It is one of those things about Dota that isn't always clearly explained.

Basically as a carry like him, you have to be pretty cautious with fights early on, and can go more ham as you get stronger.

90% of the time it is about positioning. Just blindly running at your opponent usually isn't going to do it. Early game with him, chances are you won't get a solo kill, you will need help. As the game progresses, you probably can get solo kills, especially against those beefy heroes.

I really want to make a video series on these kinds of things that aren't explained as often to new players, things like why certain items are bought on certain heroes, what exactly makes a carry, the way neutral camp spawning works (I STILL run into people that think it is based on vision), what Faceless Void's Backtrack is, and how MKB won't help you against it, stuff like that.

Razzer

I find it interesting that from a lot of recent AMAs and interviews most pros seem to agree that C9 is likely stronger with fata then with sing. Maybe sing just makes for a bad team mate.

I was surprised when I read that he supposedly wasn't practicing the heroes given to him by the team (as much as they wanted at least). Considering how people have described him as tryhard.

However, in a vlog Aui did a couple of weeks back I think he said that Fata thinks about the game in the same way as them, which is why they chose him. It could be Sing didn't fit that style as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom