• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techies

Whats your build?

I usually go double bottle or 2-3 mana void stones since I'm the ward bitch. I tried blink/force/shadowblade to gap close but they don't really help for mid/lategame suicides.

Eul's is helpful but you can't reliably set the stun. I find the aghs is only good for clearing waves quickly. Like I'll bot tp and use a mine for one wave and then remote aghs mine for the next wave and fast push.

He's just too mana hungry. Even bloodstone isn't enough to sustain constant mining because you die so often.

Depends on how I want to start, with the no fancy games, starting in lane.

Soul ring recipe -> ring of regen.
Get sobi at side shop after blowing up a few creeps with mines.

Dependent on how the game goes, I start building medalion, finish my tranquil.

Then it's staff of wizardry and void stone, followed by the scepter.

Then again dependent on how game goes I either get Bloodstone or Guinso.

The difference between me and other players seem to be that medallion, it makes normal mines and your suicide more powerful, but that's for when I get attacked, most of the times I cast it on the target of my allies.

That medallion kinda gives your allies the equivalent of a deso.

The mana regen items are basically 2 sobi, void stone, staff of wizardry. That's for the regen.
It comes to be around 10 mana per second when you have those.

Internets

I think buyback encourages people to take more risks. I believe people would play more passive and be more hesistant to push or be more aggressive if they knew that dying can end the game for them.

I think buyback encourages people to take more risks. I believe people would play more passive and be more hesistant to push or be more aggressive if they knew that dying can end the game for them.

That's not been the case in competitive matches.

People delay getting big items to save for buyback.

Edit: I think there needs to be a change to buyback.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
is slardar the first hero on the all heroes challenge just because he's so fucking shitty and annoying to use that learning how to not suck at playing him is a good learning curve for the game?

because damn it feels like it

Quesa

Depends on how I want to start, with the no fancy games, starting in lane.

Soul ring recipe -> ring of regen.
Get sobi at side shop after blowing up a few creeps with mines.

Dependent on how the game goes, I start building medalion, finish my tranquil.

Then it's staff of wizardry and void stone, followed by the scepter.

Then again dependent on how game goes I either get Bloodstone or Guinso.

The difference between me and other players seem to be that medallion, it makes normal mines and your suicide more powerful, but that's for when I get attacked, most of the times I cast it on the target of my allies.

That medallion kinda gives your allies the equivalent of a deso.

The mana regen items are basically 2 sobi, void stone, staff of wizardry. That's for the regen.

Mind streaming a few games and giving play-by-play tips? I would subscribe

BigAT

is slardar the first hero on the all heroes challenge just because he's so fucking shitty and annoying to use that learning how to not suck at playing him is a good learning curve for the game?

A) Slardar is fantastic
B) Everyone's AH Challenge list is different.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
A) Slardar is fantastic
i'm not saying i'm a good player (i'm not), but i find him ridiculously difficult to play. his abilities just seem to be four different flavours of meh.

he gets an ability that gives him mobility, but in return he takes more damage, landing his stun is virtually impossible for me (and even when it lands it feels like about 0.5 seconds vs. about six minutes of anyone else's stun), he gets a basic bitch stun proc passive and an ulti that's built for ganking and feels virtually useless in team fights. so what am i missing? besides skill.

the best i've managed to do is to get him decent in the mid game, at which point he just kind of plateaus while all the other carries in the game overtake him.

and while i am definitely not a good player, i've had much more success with other heroes. i've gone from a 4 or 5 game killstreak to six straight losses in a row since i started picking slardar.

B) Everyone's AH Challenge list is different.
oh.

[edit] was he one of the earlier heroes to be added to dota? because i kind of think from his design that he might be.

NBtoaster

i'm not saying i'm a good player (i'm not), but i find him ridiculously difficult to play. his abilities just seem to be four different flavours of meh.

he gets an ability that gives him mobility, but in return he takes more damage, landing his stun is virtually impossible for me (and even when it lands it feels like about 0.5 seconds vs. about six minutes of anyone else's stun), he gets a basic bitch stun proc passive and an ulti that's built for ganking and feels virtually useless in team fights. so what am i missing? besides skill.

the best i've managed to do is to get him decent in the mid game, at which point he just kind of plateaus while all the other carries in the game overtake him.

and while i am definitely not a good player, i've had much more success with other heroes. i've gone from a 4 or 5 game killstreak to six straight losses in a row since i started picking slardar.

oh.

Just buy a blink early and smash fools. Then bkb is usually necessary for teamfights.

just farm until you get a blink then landing the stun is trivial

blink stun ult right click three times and theyre dead

Acinixys

Whaaaaaaaat

Slardar is totally OP in pubs

Heres my Slardar games if you want to watch one for tips

I have a 75% win rate with him over 50+ games

Treads - Blink - Armlet - BKB - what ever you feel you need next. I like AC/Heart/Moljnir

Razzer

It's worth bearing in mind Slardar is obviously gonna work better in lineups with lots of physical damage as opposed to lots of magic damage.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
playing another game with him now. probably my fifth, and i'm getting destroyed yet again.

i'll take a look at your games thanks.

[edit] oh it was just a list of wins. okay.

[edit] like if they have a single ranged carry, you're completely fucked.

playing another game with him now. probably my fifth, and i'm getting destroyed yet again.

If you click on any of them they have a number that you can type in to watch any of them within the client.

I disagree with the single ranged carry assessment. You can wreck drow, sniper, luna just about any of them. You might have problems with morphing if he's smart though. Blink is core. Position yourself to take them out instantly.

shira

shira are you shiradota on reddit
http://zippy.gfycat.com/ParallelRightIndianrockpython.webm
s-s-senpai ?

I will try medallion. The majority of my suicides are assists for the carry, I'm trying to get a huge disadvantage for the other team as opposed to a kill or kill steal while denying kills to the other team. I don't know if that will result in kills for me - which would be totally pointless.

I'm running position 5 techies so I've adapted to having bought wards, boots and smokes for the laning phase.

I usually end up with soulring, 2 bottles, and bots. If it's stomperino aghs.

Anyone got latest rankings for Techies on dotabuff?

I'm 37-11 now.

wtf I only got 2 games in.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you click on any of them they have a number that you can type in to watch any of them within the client.

I disagree with the single ranged carry assessment. You can wreck drow, sniper, luna just about any of them. You might have problems with morphing if he's smart though. Blink is core. Position yourself to take them out instantly.

i just got the blink-jump on mirana and still got destroyed. is there something i'm doing wrong? or am i just incomprehensibly shit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Don't let anyone fool you slardar is the worst hero in Dota unless ur SEA or >4k

Razzer

i just got the blink-jump on mirana and still got destroyed. is there something i'm doing wrong? or am i just incomprehensibly shit.

What skill build are you doing? Getting killed by a Mirana seems very odd unless she gets a long range arrow, and if you jumped her that's unlikely.

Kioshen

At least you're not stuck with Meepo like me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What skill build are you doing? Getting killed by a Mirana seems very odd unless she gets a long range arrow, and if you jumped her that's unlikely.

oh help i mean luna

i'm really new at this game rejksldf;sf

[edit] omg i won no more slardar yaaaas

Artanisix

TtUxUZV.jpg

6.82 pls

Just play 2 spell invoker. Pick 2 spells you like, and stick to them. Maybe swap out for Sunstrike every now and then, you likely can hit one or two.

Here's my grand invoker plan:

Start: go mid, QE build, try to control lane with cold snap + forge spirit and occasionally sunstrike other lanes
Early-midgame: gank with cold snap + forge spirits, then push tower with forge spirits
Mid-lategame: teamfight with tornado + meteor, then invoke and use deafening blast
All game: hope my team can carry me because my execution is shit

Go QE and go ham on the zoo. Still I feel ya on Invoker.

Edit : Also, this website is pretty useful if you really wanna practice.

I know that one, 113.7 sec on survival mode :coolprophetface: . Thanks though.

Also we should play together and carry eachother through our meepo/invoker matches (or embrace madness and both at the same time).

Razzer

oh help i mean luna

i'm really new at this game rejksldf;sf

Oh well that's different. I'm assuming you were solo with no creeps and she just ulted you? Yeah Luna is a good hero at that. No matter how awesome your hero is, never jump a Luna solo without BKB.

Edit: Also Kirby you were on Theeban's stream!

You were top comment in a reddit thread he was talking about.

Razzer

I'm legitimately looking forward to IHL2. I wasn't in the first one, I heard that it wasn't great as it was just stomps all the time, but now we have more people and I assume lots of people have improved since then, so it could be more even. And as someone who tends to play support whenever I'm in a more organised environment, I could really use a way to practice outside of MM.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, in house games were a great way to practice up, and when we did the little IHL thing there seemed to be far more.

Kioshen

I know that one, 113.7 sec on survival mode :coolprophetface: . Thanks though.

Also we should play together and carry eachother through our meepo/invoker matches (or embrace madness and both at the same time).

Sure why not
crazy.gif
. I just tried my first human vs bots game and while I had to work extra hard to get lvl advantage because the Abbadon wouldn't do anything but hit creeps and WD wanted mid for some reason, I knocked early and knocked hard on their doors.

I'm not efficient yet and can't stack during laning phase yet but I'm getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom