• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

Love when people tell you to do stupid shit, then go in 1v5, die, and blame you.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1157283982

Case in point, the Jugg, blames me for the loss because I wouldn't jump on the Bristleback in front of their bot T3, despite having NO FUCKING IDEA what else was on their high ground or where the rest of the team was. Then he goes in 1v5 and dies.

Hylian7

"Please rate your desire to play with this teammate again."

1 star

He's on the other team in the next game. LOL.

Play normals so you don't have to deal with people who freak out about MMR/worry about losing your own MMR.

Also: USE just completely shit itself.

I'd like to actually raise my MMR though. I want some sense of progression.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You can still get better without having to worry about your mmr, and have a wider mode selection. Take a load off and random a bit.

Razzer

"Please rate your desire to play with this teammate again."

1 star

He's on the other team in the next game. LOL.

I'd like to actually raise my MMR though. I want some sense of progression.
About the sense of progression, I think playing normals for a while consistently could actually help with that. If you always play ranked, then your improvement in mmr will match your actual skill improvement. In other words, it will be very slow. I would posit that for most players, it will be so slow as to be barely noticeable, if at all. By improving outside of ranked, when you come back you will gain mmr more quickly as the game has not adjusted to your new skill and you will imbalance the games you are in until it has adjusted. Thus, the gap in skill between past and present will more noticeable, and your sense of progression will be much higher.

w56m8S5.gif

Hylian7

About the sense of progression, I think playing normals for a while consistently could actually help with that. If you always play ranked, then your improvement in mmr will match your actual skill improvement. In other words, it will be very slow. I would posit that for most players, it will be so slow as to be barely noticeable, if at all. By improving outside of ranked, when you come back you will gain mmr more quickly as the game has not adjusted to your new skill and you will imbalance the games you are in until it has adjusted. Thus, the gap in skill between past and present will more noticeable, and your sense of progression will be much higher.

I used to be 4k, there is literally no reason I should not be able to get back there by playing ranked games. It's not like I got worse.

Akim

Banned
People complain about Dota casters. I watched the smite stream for a second because I was interested, one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Hylian7

And my team just threw a game by not carrying TPs and instead of defending a rax "trading" it, when they didn't get a rax. They call me a retard for TPing back to defend. Good fucking job. Lets trade raxes with Anti-Mage, it will work.

Strider

People complain about Dota casters. I watched the smite stream for a second because I was interested, one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Dota casters are the best. I cant stand watching some other games. Hearthstone is particularly painful.

Razzer

I've been 4k twice, both for spans for a few months each.
Hmm, ok that defeats what I was gonna speculate then. The previously mentioned factor of the player base in general improving could be at work here. Another thing is natural skill variance. I remember Aui talking about it in a video, but he was referring to a game by game basis , sometimes you play well (at say, a 4200 mmr level), sometimes you don't (at say, a 3700 level). I doubt that extends to larger spans of time, but I guess it's possible. However, another thing he talked about was how mmr is based on all your skills, so people lose and gain mmr in different parts of their skillset. A player who either communicates badly or not at all (because he queues on servers with a predominant language he doesn't speak, for instance), would be losing mmr in that as it's an area of his game that is weaker than most players. In order to make up for that he would need to be better mechanically than other people at his mmr who do communicate well.

Taking this idea further, we could suggest that different balence patches emphasise different skills. So if you are strong in an area that was vital in 6.82 but is not as important in 6.83, then you would lose mmr in 6.83 as your strong areas don't influence your mmr as much (Taking the idea that mmr is purely a measurement of your ability to win a game). So that could be another factor. This is very hard to measure or evaluate as many skills are subtle, but a more obvious example would be heroes and roles. Hylian, you play mid mostly, so if mids have less ability to dominate in a patch, it makes you weaker. More specifically, the beef to tinker, one of your favourite heroes, will certainly negatively affect your average ability to win a game.

There are far more things I could probably think of ooh I wanted to, but I'll let you ponder that for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom