• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aikidoka

Maybe it's petty, but I'm pretty happy that Secret got eliminated by EG - s4 being so cocky in his interviews kinda annoyed me and EG winning makes a better story.

Though, I would like to see VG win as they are the most exciting to watch with FY, Fenrir, and iceiceice just making incredible plays with a very diverse hero pool. That and I hope everything works out well for Black.

Fuck Jugg
Fuck Jugg
Fuck Jugg

Nerf that piece of shit of the game next patch IceFrog.

Jugg, axe, and Brood need to be nerfed. Less armor for axe or an increased Call cooldown, jugg could have a movespeed decrease and Brood needs the Spiderling blast to be disjointable.

Wasnt too long ago we were celebrating Black's invoker plays.

I don't know what Burning is like in a team, might be too many chefs spoiling the broth if he goes to VG.

Raytow

Maybe it's petty, but I'm pretty happy that Secret got eliminated by EG - s4 being so cocky in his interviews kinda annoyed me and EG winning makes a better story.

Though, I would like to see VG win as they are the most exciting to watch with FY, Fenrir, and iceiceice just making incredible plays with a very diverse hero pool. That and I hope everything works out well for Black.

Missed that what did S4 said?

Low Tier
are you guys all stupid just pick troll he legit shits on everything unsung hero of pub dota but instead just pick like pudge or tinker or shitty heroes like that and then wonder why you never win your games

Aikidoka

Missed that what did S4 said?

It's nothing big really. Just the interview he did with Sheever, he just kept saying that his team was definitely the best and will definitely eliminate VG and win first place. It's fine being confident but I didn't think he was very tactful about it. I don't think he's an asshole or anything, just rubbed me the wrong way.

Edit:
Might just be confirmation bias from me but I feel like Ice Ice Ice is a much better player now then when he was in DK last year.
yeah, he probably is. Iceiceice said he learned a lot from the other members of DK in his interview with hotbid

It's nothing big really. Just the interview he did with Sheever, he just kept saying that his team was definitely the best and will definitely eliminate VG and win first place. It's fine being confident but I didn't think he was very tactful about it. I don't think he's an asshole or anything, just rubbed me the wrong way.

It's unfortunate he wasn't able to back the talk up. Felt he was the weak link for Secret in their BO3's.

Acinixys

No, EG will kick Sumail and pickup Black while VG gets Burning.

If they kick Sumail, who will mid? Fear mid with Black in the carry role?

I dunno man

Sumail has shown that even though he is super young and inexperienced, he is an insanely good player

His first lan and he helped his team get to the grand finals. Thats not a player you kick

If they kick Sumail, who will mid? Fear mid with Black in the carry role?

I dunno man

Sumail has shown that even though he is super young and inexperienced, he is an insanely good player

His first lan and he helped his team get to the grand finals. Thats not a player you kick

Fear has the experience for any role while Sumail should go with Team Tinker.

Boot EE and Bone7 from C9, add Black and bring back SingSing (him and FATA can change between pos 2/3 depending on team composition). Win TI5 because they booted EE.

Aikidoka

That was pretty hilarious. SUNSfan and synderN make the best duo imo.

On a tangent, what is with casters bringing up the whole " 30 is too old for pro dota"? Talking about reflexes going out at THRITY is completely laughable - when they mentioned having to retire in the late 20's in the Free-to-Play documentary, my gast was flabbered. Around 50, you might have a case, but 30 is really when people are in their prime - men don't even finish developing until the early 20's.

To me, it seems like a lame way to make pro dota sound super hardcore to fit in with convential sports like football (american) - where they really only retire early because of injuries or they're not good enough.

On a tangent, what is with casters bringing up the whole " 30 is too old for pro dota"? Talking about reflexes going out at THRITY is completely laughable - when they mentioned having to retire in the late 20's in the Free-to-Play documentary, my gast was flabbered. Around 50, you might have a case, but 30 is really when people are in their prime - men don't even finish developing until the early 20's.

To me, it seems like a lame way to make pro dota sound super hardcore to fit in with convential sports like football (american) - where they really only retire early because of injuries or they're not good enough.

Reaction times are faster as you are younger and no, it does not take 30 years for men to develop.

It's not some bullshit they're making up on the spot, it's been proven that reaction time peaks and starts deteriorating in your early 20s. Plenty of pro Fighting game, RTS, and FPS players retire in their mid twenties, and no, that's not because "they got a life" or some shit. The argument you could make is that MOBA's rely less on reflexes than the other genres, which I would agree with, but that's a different argument.

And spare me the "b-but Daigo is still competitive!" style anecdotal evidence, it's a rule not a law.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Reaction times might start declining in your 20's, but as I think Merlini pointed out, dota isn't completely about reaction time like say CS or a fighting game. If you're reaction time is .001 milliseconds slower it doesn't really matter that much considering their are 10 other sides of dota: strategy, teamwork, positioning, farming patterns, map awareness, drafting, game sense, lane control, experience, etc...

Vaporak

It's not some bullshit they're making up on the spot, it's been proven that reaction time peaks and starts deteriorating in your early 20s. Plenty of pro Fighting game, RTS, and FPS players retire in their mid twenties, and no, that's not because "they got a life" or some shit. The argument you could make is that MOBA's rely less on reflexes than the other genres, which I would agree with, but that's a different argument.

And spare me the "b-but Daigo is still competitive!" style anecdotal evidence, it's a rule not a law.

They aren't making it up on the spot, but it is indeed bullshit. If it wasn't there wouldn't be anyone playing high level sports past their early twenties. I have no idea where gamers got this misconception, but it speaks to immense ignorance of what competitions outside of their little bubble are like.

shira

The casters are idiots.

Has any pro team ever revealed how contracts work?

It was brought up the sumail is making 6 figures but I'm wondering how's that distributed to him or the rest of the players.

Are players considered independent contractors? At least in the US?

Just curious how it's all paid out.

I think they run on 6 month contracts which are renewable on mutual agreement. You get a base salary for playing, streaming, etc. Sponsors get a cut of your tournament winnings and there are bonuses for top 3 finishes. Manager and team also get a cut.

Sumail probably got some extra perks like Charlie using his lawyer buddies to help with the immigration process. I think he might also have a side deal to get his brother on a GGA sponsored amateur team for TI5 NA qualifiers. But yeah they are not like an NFL contract where it is open to the public, every team is completely different and so are the situations. I think this is where the players union comes in - they want to standardize things . .. idk

It's not just Dota. In Baseball for instance performance peaks at 26 and falls off pretty damn hard after 30

This holds true in most other sports. Basketball peaks at 25 and falls off precipitously. Same goes for soccer. It's a sad truth, but father time is undefeated.

Post peak players obviously still have value, experience can balance out the loss of skill. The problem in Dota is that teams are relatively small so there aren't many positions available for post-peak players and there is a massive pool of up and coming talent to replace them with.

Madouu

It's not just Dota.

From the article you linked:

Attacking players usually enter their peak at 23 and defenders do so at 25. The peak typically lasts until 31

For football (soccer) many of the best defenders in the world are aged 28-30, sometimes even much older, and it's the norm not the exception.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, probably the two best and most famous attack minded players are respectively 30 and 27, and they're still playing their best football.

I think when Charlie said Sumail would be making 6 figures he meant after DAC and Ti5, not currently from his salary

He clearly specified it was without tournament winnings.

GorillaJu

Many pro athletes reach their peaks at 28-30 years old. The real reason is more likely because to be a pro gamer the motivation comes almost entirely from yourself. It can be hard to stay motivated to sit in front of a computer and practice games when the vast majority don't make enough money to not have day jobs and the game isn't really fun when it becomes a necessity to play it all the time.

I think in the future there will be dedicated coaches and managers who understand the game at a high level, just like in real sports. It'll be their job to keep the players motivated and develop strategy.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
cmon bokr you know FGs ain't all about reaction time

Daigo's still fucking dudes up at 31 or whatever

bro i dont kno shit about fighters i just assumed they were more twitchy than dota, but that also just goes to show experience > pure reaction time in many cases.

I think when Charlie said Sumail would be making 6 figures he meant after DAC and Ti5, not currently from his salary

he confirmed it was from his salary

From the article you linked:

For football (soccer) many of the best defenders in the world are aged 28-30, sometimes even much older, and it's the norm not the exception.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, probably the two best and most famous attack minded players are respectively 30 and 27, and they're still playing their best football.

Yeah, and the original post I was responding to was about how 30 is considered old. Different sports have different skill requirements but 30 is a pretty hard line for skill. Also, yes you can point to stars like Messi and Ronaldo, but they are exceptional. They are more visible because of their skill but they are outliers.

GorillaJu

Yeah, and the original post I was responding to was about how 30 is considered old. Different sports have different skill requirements but 30 is a pretty hard line for skill. Also, yes you can point to stars like Messi and Ronaldo, but they are exceptional. They are more visible because of their skill but they are outliers.

They are not outliers. It is common knowledge among football fans that 28-30 is where many players hit their peaks. Robben, Ribery, Van Persie, Drogba, Suarez, Falcao, Pirlo... There are tons of examples of players at the very top of the game that are in their late 20s or early 30s (or in insane cases like Totti and Giggs, late 30s).

It's where youthful energy and experience meet at just the right balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom