• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's okay it's okay the big wheel of Dota will soon turn and all tier 1 heroes will be shit again, like Axe, Sniper and company. Except Batrider. It seems Batrider will be picked even if he takes 2 heroes slots, since I started playing like 2 years ago this guy is always one of the top picked heroes.

Yeah batskater is still strong as ever. That flashfarm, that utility from 10' til the end of the game. Hero never falls off, farms super well, and has extremely strong spells at any point in the game

There's VS to counter him but she can still be banned or just picked. Sticky napalm fucks some heroes so hard...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well for your example against phoenix you may prefer picking heroes with instant disables (rubick, lion), and you want to avoid melee carries (although ursa fucks phoenix pretty good, but he's a shit hero otherwise)

yeah but there's no 'DON'T PICK THIS AGAINST PHOENIX' in the same way that you're basically throwing the game away picking melee heroes against axe.

Heroes don't all have to be counterpicked but it can make life much easier against certain heroes

right, and that's precisely what i find annoying. i'm just here for a good time. why should they get to play their fave hero but then i have to counterpick just to stand a chance? annoying tbqh.

I don't think you ever HAVE to counter pick just to stand a chance. Just maybe avoid picking some heroes into heroes that counter it so hard it's not even fun.

Like TA versus Veno/Jak mid or what have you

This is amazing

Volvo please add

Hitbox on 480p is amazing. been watching for over an hour and no lag or buffing

Twitch pls step up

I am watching it on 720! smooth as balls.
4mC962j.gif

xanavi

yeah but there's no 'DON'T PICK THIS AGAINST PHOENIX' in the same way that you're basically throwing the game away picking melee heroes against axe.

Dark seer is melee hero that can handle a lot of axe shenanigans on his own.

You can pick melee heroes vs axe as long as you remember to not fight him in the creep wave.

Mordeccai

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF goat simulator courier ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

also pls ice frog buff legion commander, I want to sell my CM arcana and buy the legion one instead.

I'm ready to abandon Twitch and switch to Hitbox but as long as the streamers that I follow are on Twitch there's really no point. Source quality finally runs well now though.

Pratfall

this may seem like a weird question, but is there any way to itemize against midnight pulse? I was getting wrecked as luna by an enigma with aghs plus an additional midnight pulse and was struggling to think about what to buy. since it is percentage and goes through bkb, are there any smart item buys in this situation?

right, and that's precisely what i find annoying. i'm just here for a good time. why should they get to play their fave hero but then i have to counterpick just to stand a chance? annoying tbqh.

There's always HOTS toe!

this may seem like a weird question, but is there any way to itemize against midnight pulse? I was getting wrecked as luna by an enigma with aghs plus an additional midnight pulse and was struggling to think about what to buy. since it is percentage and goes through bkb, are there any smart item buys in this situation?
positioning mostly

and smart initiation and teamfights

Yeah, I have to agree with you here. Dota 2 has become overrefined IMO. They have put so much thought into what makes a hero competitive or not that they're taking away a lot of the fun / chaos of just choosing a hero and going with it.

Its odd. HOTS is actually more fun to me on a gameplay / minute basis than Dota 2 now. Though only barely since HOTS is so early and overly chaotic.

pompidu

Came to say bounty hunter is a legit support with mana boots, urn, drums. Can play some more games with that setup. I feel that is the only place he does well

Edit: being able to spam track really can turn a game from bad to good

squishy as fuck and bkb won't protect her from axe
???

HOTS is garbage.

I think you forgot the context of the conversation: dealing with lane-cutting axe. The PA Q does work and on a budget while also giving your lane mate the opportunity to whale on him for free. Sure there are lots of heroes that aren't as strong *later* against Axe that were recommended (Dazzle, Huskar). It's about what comps can be pulled off during the laning phase to control him. PA is probably the best melee carry to deal with him.

As for Axe, all PA has to do is wait until call is down. Same as always, you just play around the problem ability just like you would any blinking hero. Storm, QoP, Riki, etc. all deal with an Axe the same way. Wait until call is down then go do your work.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Dark seer is melee hero that can handle a lot of axe shenanigans on his own.

You can pick melee heroes vs axe as long as you remember to not fight him in the creep wave.

cast ion shell on axe's own melee creeps i guess?

it's not exactly an ideal matchup though, if they put their axe offlane, to put a dark seer safelane

I think you forgot the context of the conversation: dealing with lane-cutting axe. The PA Q does work and on a budget while also giving your lane mate the opportunity to whale on him for free. Sure there are lots of heroes that aren't as strong *later* against Axe that were recommended (Dazzle, Huskar). It's about what comps can be pulled off during the laning phase to control him. PA is probably the best melee carry to deal with him.

As for Axe, all PA has to do is wait until call is down. Same as always, you just play around the problem ability just like you would any blinking hero. Storm, QoP, Riki, etc. all deal with an Axe the same way. Wait until call is down then go do your work.

Yeah well I think I'd just rather not pick a melee carry vs axe at all. PA is clearly not a top pick in the current meta, even more so with lina's aghs and all that, you need to snowball hard and that's not easy with that hero unless the enemy come to die one after the other against you :|

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
is a ranged carry really all that much better against axe? he has a slow and can get blink easily, and can pin you in place.

it's clearly better than a melee carry but it doesn't really seem like it's a sure bet

Yeah well I think I'd just rather not pick a melee carry vs axe at all. PA is clearly not a top pick in the current meta, even more so with lina's aghs and all that, you need to snowball hard and that's not easy with that hero unless the enemy come to die one after the other against you :|

this is a reasonable position to take in general. but I will say that PA and AM have better tools than any other melee carry to deal with him after laning phase because of their blinking abilities, which allow them to engage in a fight more on their terms than a lot of other melee carries. and in the laning phase vs a lane-cutting Axe, PA clearly gets the advantage here over all melee carries I can think of because of that Q. It's so good against him.

is a ranged carry really all that much better against axe? he has a slow and can get blink easily, and can pin you in place.

it's clearly better than a melee carry but it doesn't really seem like it's a sure bet

well he won't have a blink during laning phase, which was the context of the conversation. If he farmed a blink while lane-cutting you, you have more things to worry about than whether Axe can just blink on you.

With any hero vs Axe, understanding positioning and not tunnel-visioning when there's an Axe on the other team is important. Delay jumping into fights as long as possible to see if Axe initiates with call on someone else. Don't ever be the first guy to a fight unless you're okay with being the first casualty.

One of the biggest issues is if you're farming a lane or even a camp, axe sees you, blinks in the middle of you and the creeps and calls, that's guaranteed 3-4 spins during call
Techies counters Axe so badly it's not even funny.

You trying to cut the wave
zWVbK.gif

You jungling
zWVbK.gif

yeah but being 4v5 is harder

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
maybe i should just learn a good axe counter and instantly pick them whenever i see axe, so that the person who picked him and thought that he was going to have great fun as his fave hero being an annoying asshole creep cutting loses so thoroughly that he never wants to pick axe again

now that's how a pro doto player thinks

Acinixys

I saw a discussion on Leddit about changing MoM so its similar to Manta in the sense that it works differently for ranged vs melee

ATM buying a MoM on Sniper or Drow has almost no drawbacks

You are usually so far back that the +damage you take is almost negligible.

The suggestion i saw was that MoM should have a longer CD for ranged heroes, and maybe even a larger mana cost

I kind of agree with this

I always get MoM on Sniper and have never been punished for it because im always behind my team/uphill just pounding away

Came to say bounty hunter is a legit support with mana boots, urn, drums. Can play some more games with that setup. I feel that is the only place he does well

Edit: being able to spam track really can turn a game from bad to good
I like bottle on him as support or offlane. Gives more track spam as well as being able to help out with runes to a greater degree and sustain longer. I think you could forego arcanes if you get bottle, too.

Less ms for MoM for both melee and ranged would be a good change(Jugg running away at the speed of light is fucked up). Less as for ranged heroes would also be good, higher cd is kind of the same change but with other drawbacks.

Edit: On another note, what does Dota-gaf think of ODPixel? I quite like his casting, it's fresh without trying too hard to be different.

Not sure what it says about me but I think some Twitch copy pasta is genuinely funny. Especially the ones about Synderen for some reason.

Synderen: "Sorry for my englandën, Im danish. I come frøm small danish tøwn where we molëst pigs for å living. Fadër said "synderen, pig hårvest is bad this yëar, you have to go plåy proffesional Døtå to save your fåmily", änd I said "But fadër, I only have a bought account and chat EleGiggle and 4Head me". This is my story, please nø cøpy-tipoldeforældrerino"

edit: Also, Synderen is streaming his games as a stand-in for a Danish team right now.

kionedrik

Just had the most satisfying game against a team with axe, jug and sniper. Feels good to come out on top against people like these.
The fact that I was solo support to the whole team just increases my pleasure at the win.

PS: Hi everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom