• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: We played Valve’s secret new shooter: Deadlock

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Concord already inspiring new games!

laughing GIF

Damn, people are cynical here.

Typical GAF bubble. I honestly think they have a potential hit on their hands, especially after watching some video's by actual decent players.

If anyone with access wants to share an invite, I'd greatly appreciate it. My Steam friend code: 6115849

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No? We just don't live in a world of absolutes.
The GAAS market is absolutely continuing to grow at an outsized pace.

And honestly, this game is a lightining in a bottle in the sense its a known untapped market, being made by a large company with expertize in the necessary areas for this to work as well as an established public and platform, doing an overall pragmatic and careful approach to make and release the game.
That's why the GAAS market continues to grow. There are more untapped markets in multiplayer. That is what I've been trying to teach you this entire time. You may be starting to see the matrix.

Look at it this way, the fact that something this - that has almost everything going in its favor - can still fail for the simplests of missteps, is proof enough of how volatile the GAAS market is atm.
You mistake volatility for market saturation.

This is how all growth happens. We went from hunting and gathering to farming. Imagine what the hunter and gatherers thought about the very first people to attempt farming. "Bro, just walk with us and find berries. We know what we're doing." Imagine what the horse breeders said about the very first people trying to create an automobile. "Bro, it's easier to breed horses. Why are you trying to put a puzzle together?" Imagine what car makers said about people creating the airplane.

Volitility always comes with new market growth. It's usually a "safer bet" to do the old thing, but that's not how markets work. GAAS is already 60 - 70 percent of the video game market. It'll be 80 percent of the market in 5 years. Volatility shouldn't scare you away from accepting reality.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

That's why the GAAS market continues to grow. There are more untapped markets in multiplayer. That is what I've been trying to teach you this entire time. You may be starting to see the matrix.
And what i've been telling you is that you vastly overestimate the potential of said untapped markets.

"Oh some super deep rpg with highly interactive world where players build their own economy and empire in a vast open world!". This idea, which sounds amazing on paper, wouldn't be nearly as popular as you'd like to believe.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And what i've been telling you is that you vastly overestimate the potential of said untapped markets.

"Oh some super deep rpg with highly interactive world where players build their own economy and empire in a vast open world!". This idea, which sounds amazing on paper, wouldn't be nearly as popular as you'd like to believe.

Have you finally come around to the GAAS marketshare increasing significantly over the next 5 - 10 years? Have we reached a breakthrough?!

Someone asked for it: the shareholders.

Valve's a private company; they don't have shareholders to answer to.

The GAAS market is absolutely continuing to grow at an outsized pace.

You mistake volatility for market saturation.

This is how all growth happens. We went from hunting and gathering to farming. Imagine what the hunter and gatherers thought about the very first people to attempt farming. "Bro, just walk with us and find berries. We know what we're doing." Imagine what the horse breeders said about the very first people trying to create an automobile. "Bro, it's easier to breed horses. Why are you trying to put a puzzle together?" Imagine what car makers said about people creating the airplane.

Volitility always comes with new market growth. It's usually a "safer bet" to do the old thing, but that's not how markets work. GAAS is already 60 - 70 percent of the video game market. It'll be 80 percent of the market in 5 years. Volatility shouldn't scare you away from accepting reality.

Yes, because the same 4-5 GAAS that took up 90% of that market 10 years ago, are the same 4-5 GAAS doing it today and consolidating other brands into them as extra content (i.e Fortnite) to grow themselves. The GAAS market growing alongside them is just a nice bonus.

You're basically arguing for the same 4-5 massive GAAS to continue upholding the vast majority of that market's revenue & profits (which is how growth and size of a market segment is typically judge; no point looking at the 100+ GAAS that are DOA, get cancelled after two weeks, or barely generate more than $100K lifetime), or for one of them to collapse so a new one takes its spot. The only way the GAAS market grows is if one of the mainstays grows, or a new mainstay enters after the other dies off.

That's not really the "growth" you think it is but w/e 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yes, because the same 4-5 GAAS that took up 90% of that market 10 years ago, are the same 4-5 GAAS doing it today and consolidating other brands into them as extra content (i.e Fortnite) to grow themselves. The GAAS market growing alongside them is just a nice bonus.

You're basically arguing for the same 4-5 massive GAAS to continue upholding the vast majority of that market's revenue & profits (which is how growth and size of a market segment is typically judge; no point looking at the 100+ GAAS that are DOA, get cancelled after two weeks, or barely generate more than $100K lifetime), or for one of them to collapse so a new one takes its spot. The only way the GAAS market grows is if one of the mainstays grows, or a new mainstay enters after the other dies off.

That's not really the "growth" you think it is but w/e 🤷‍♂️
The only way you could believe this is if you were a literal ostrich placing your literal head in the literal sand. I struggle to imagine you typing at your keyboard using the feet of a bird. You're a human who's pretending to be a bird for some reason. I see through your trickery.

To put it bluntly, the data says you're wrong...

Clearly there is no "wall" that you think we hit 10 years ago. Clearly there is a number of hugely successful GAAS released over the last 10 years. We've seen a number of hugely successful GAAS release since the end of that video. The marketshare line continues to rise with new entrants coming into the arena every year.

No one actually believes PlayStation, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Blizzard, Tencent, is looking at their player data and seeing the fabricated reality you're trying to create. If they were, they wouldn't be going ham into GAAS.

You my friend, have fabricated your own reality. You have been judged.

Deadlock will be a hit. Anyone thinking gaming has reached some kind of endpoint with Deadlocks game design doesn't understand the potential of this medium.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got to be honest, I thought it was here really aren't qualified or the audience for this type of game. Otherwise I would be playing games like Dota or team fortress or anything else that is popular on steam of this type of game. You can include League of Legends in this as well. But if the game is fun free to play, and has a decent ecosystem like some of the other games, there's your recipe for success. Valve certainly knows how to integrate games like this to use the full suite of features on their platform. Doesn't mean we here should really be casting any Stones when the consumer for these types of games is much larger than the three of us here talking LOL

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
You guys realize this is going to be massive, right? A new Valve hero shooter? This is going to be top 3 concurrent players at launch. Maybe #1.

The only way I see this failing is if they follow in Concord's footsteps with atrocious character design.

StereoVsn

ok, unpopular opinion, i think this will do better than people think.

I thought it was going to be some overwatch clone but seeing gameplay they're clearly leaning more into MOBAs and adding some Team Fortress into the mix. There is definitely an untapped public for this.
Yeah, this isn’t a usual Hero Shooter as it mixes in MOBA gameplay which is quite different.

StereoVsn

While it's doing something different in the broadest sense, every individual component seems to have been borrowed from elsewhere. The hero/class format, the MOBA style AI minions, the buffs and abilities, the overall art direction... it's all part of the same live-service buffet we've been staring at for the past decade.
Sure, but the mix could be interesting if done right. No idea of Valve got it right though.

Shubh_C63

Watch Valve still cook this game for 2 years and hit it out of the park.

People still love MOBAs. The PvPvE aspect of Hero shooter is perfect. Can't believe people doubt Valve at making games when they literally have 10/10 track record.

You guys realize this is going to be massive, right? A new Valve hero shooter? This is going to be top 3 concurrent players at launch. Maybe #1.

The only way I see this failing is if they follow in Concord's footsteps with atrocious character design.

The roster already consists of chads and attractive rule 34 females.

HoodWinked

This reminds me of the Borderlands movie.

Where the thing they are making looks like it was made by people in the industry but it doesn't really come together right. Kinda like it's Less Than the Sum of its Parts.

Maybe Valve see something in this but to me just looks like Smite with guns and that already has ceiling.

Guilty_AI

The roster already consists of chads and attractive rule 34 females.

Yeah, this is another aspects people here are overlooking. They're comparing the character design with concord's but the characters here are way more stylish and hot.

b93b43fd-ff23-46c5-a3d3-220cc6c31bd2.png@jpg

izobrazhenie_2024-05-31_230053168.png

Imagine being able to play as a hot goth skinny girl without "the haircut"! Or *shocked* a decently attractive muscular white male!!

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

WTF is this shit? Seriously Valve? After the battle royale trend, the hero shooter trend. FFS.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
May I chime in as a big Half-Life fan?

Both Deadlock and Concord are equally a total waste of talent and resources that could've been invested in a way better SP title by both Valve and Sony.

Soodanim

I'm always disappointed when a new game turns out to be a multiplayer-only game. I hear Valve, I think of Half-Life and Portal, then I leave reminded that they have more MP games than SP.

Spyxos

Gold Member
It really looks worse than TF2 so many years later....

reminds me a lot of Battleborn.

Last edited:

JimboJones

This isn't a Hero Shooter. This is a MOBA. So it's closest competition would be SMITE 2 (on console) and SMITE 2, Leage, Dota, and Heroes of the Storm on PC.

- I'd personally rather play this than any MOBA or Hero Shooter on the market (console).
- MOBA's are objectively better than Hero Shooters.
- NeoGAFs takes on this are extremely predictable.
- Hi-Rez (Smite 2) Studios should be worried. This looks waaaaay better in my opinion.
- Railway system is an interesting admittance to the 3rd person MOBA problem of map traversal.
- This is still an "old style multiplayer" game. I'm much more interested in the open world, small team size games (Arc Raiders, Marathon).
- This will certainly be a success. The saturated market people will cry.
I've seen it compared with Monday Night Combat.

Hudo

This looks like a DOTA clone but third-person perspective. Not really like a hero shooter.

Doesn't make me any more interested, tho.

Top Bottom