• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
phoenix aghs 'buff' still leaves the item in garbagé territory for her. until dota 2 fixes its most iconic champion the game will forever remain in the trash heap of failed LoL clones.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
before anyone makes any 'clever' responses about how the patch improves their fave, i am of course referring to icon p when i say most iconic champion

Sianos

Blademail op item of this patch. Expect to see 5 man blademails.

What even counters it now?! It's on such a short cooldown too, and even lower with ocarina of time.
aaaah.gif

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
After watching this w33 play SF yesterday, I think I really underestimated the SF aghs. Shit can one shot people when you're not even on top of them. Being within like 150 range of SF means you are eating ~2000 damage at level 16. Being right on top of SF means you are eating anywhere from ~3000-4000 damage LOL.

Can't wait to try out some caster SF builds. Will have to toy around with euls/blink/aghs vs. silver-edge/aghs though, see if caster is optimal or a straight up right click build that includes aghs.

marrec

Banned
Tried Echo on a few Str melee heroes last night and was underwhelmed by all but for Slardar.

Need to try it on Void now and Kunka as well.

hmm and yet her winrate has gone down since the new patch...and why aren't the top phoenix players in the world building her aghs if it's 'really good' now?

w6cffxj.gif

its been like...less than 2 days since the patch released?
She is not exactly the easiest hero in the game so alot of low mmr players suck with her which lowers the winrate ?
"really good" doesn't mean "get this aghs second item every game", its a good item to get late game now.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
the aghs is pretty good imo cause phoenix doesn't really have CORE items, he's that kinda hero where you can just build whatever the hell you want and an item that makes it harder to destroy your egg is pretty damn good; not to mention if you have a hero like TB on your team, you can reset his metamorphosis CD lol

also lol at this: https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/4gd2gq/storm_spirit_687_aghs_upgrade_suggestion/

looks like the frog reads everything from the most upboated to the most maligned

Sibylus

Banned
What even counters it now?! It's on such a short cooldown too, and even lower with ocarina of time.
aaaah.gif
Magic damage won't damage the caster, if the caster has BKB on against the Blademail. Physical damage casters could counter with Ghost Scepter.

Pure damage? Run for the hills!

Tried Echo on a few Str melee heroes last night and was underwhelmed by all but for Slardar.

Need to try it on Void now and Kunka as well.

I'm definitely repeating myself, but give it a try on Bristle. I think he makes the absolute max use of the item, and unlike a lot of other heroes he isn't slot starved and can easily fit in the item.

+ strength is great for more HP, more right click damage
+ intel + mana regen is great for spamming more quills, more warparth stacks
+ right click with 100% slow means you run down people even better than before.

There's also really good synergy with building basher/abyssal and Octarine core. Octarine cooldown works on Echo Sabre cool down, which means you're double attacking more. More attacks = more chances to bash. Overwhelm on 27s cool down is really good.

6.87 definitely feels like the rise of Strength melee carries. Agi melee carries seem terrible now, ranged Agi carries might still be good (Hurricane Pike seems custom made for Drow). Intel carries like QoP got super luxury item in the form of Bloodthorn too.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
its been like...less than 2 days since the patch released?
She is not exactly the easiest hero in the game so alot of low mmr players suck with her which lowers the winrate ?
"really good" doesn't mean "get this aghs second item every game", its a good item to get late game now.

late game is precisely when you would never buy it because everyone's attack speed is higher imo. it's a mid game or bust item.

a truly fitting and iconic buff would have been to apply some kind of debuff to heroes who attack the egg so that you actually think twice about attacking it.......especially if it someone important inside it. it's a twofer--when would the enemy team not focus the egg if it has phoenix and the enemy's core inside it?

[edit] at best it's situationally useful if you win a fight and want to keep momentum to push, but if you won a fight that handily anyway and you didn't need supernova you're probably in control of the game as it is.

[edit x2] not to mention icefrog just added an item to the game that causes melee heroes to attack twice, a tasteless & unneeded assault on the egg's survivability.

Quesa

late game is precisely when you would never buy it because everyone's attack speed is higher imo. it's a mid game or bust item.

a truly fitting and iconic buff would have been to apply some kind of debuff to heroes who attack the egg so that you actually think twice about attacking it.......especially if it someone important inside it. it's a twofer--when would the enemy team not focus the egg if it has phoenix and the enemy's core inside it?

[edit] at best it's situationally useful if you win a fight and want to keep momentum to push, but if you won a fight that handily anyway and you didn't need supernova you're probably in control of the game as it is.

[edit x2] not to mention icefrog just added an item to the game that causes melee heroes to attack twice, a tasteless & unneeded assault on the egg's survivability.

If only Phoenix had a way to apply debuffs on enemies before she used the egg...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
skill shot
StinkyCheese.png
?

are you denying that the slow-moving, non-targeting ability is a skill shot?

[edit] all of this ignores the fact that putting two targets into the egg makes it into a relatively easy twofer for the enemy team...in fact some of the time you're artificially creating a two-for-one that wouldn't have existed otherwise. the downside is huge for an extremely situational upside.

Hylian7

anyone elses dota completely broken post patch? My menu moves at like 1fps and everything takes forever to respond.

strange, deleting the test client fixed it.
I was playing Tinker yesterday and a teammate playing Timbersaw said he was having framerate problems due to March, and he didn't usually have them. He restarted and everything was fine.

kionedrik

I was thinking. The int change (less mana per int) is an indirect storm buff because the regen per int stays the same. And storm being a hero that needs lots of regen per mana it makes his jump range slightly bigger. Its tiny change but i need to calc how big of a difference it is

I would think it's the opposite. Less mana per int so your total mana pool is smaller which would make your jump also smaller. Your mana pool would fill up faster though.

inkls

I would think it's the opposite. Less mana per int so your total mana pool is smaller which would make your jump also smaller. Your mana pool would fill up faster though.

his jump is based on % of his total mana. Mana slightly increases his max jump range because of the flat cost, but the main thing that always affect his jump range is mana regen, which is why you get bloodstone on the hero (charges).

Only getting mana with no regen like a soul booster is garbage because more mana doesn't come with the regen that you'd get from int. At later levels it becomes inefficient.

marrec

Banned
I'm definitely repeating myself, but give it a try on Bristle. I think he makes the absolute max use of the item, and unlike a lot of other heroes he isn't slot starved and can easily fit in the item.

+ strength is great for more HP, more right click damage
+ intel + mana regen is great for spamming more quills, more warparth stacks
+ right click with 100% slow means you run down people even better than before.

There's also really good synergy with building basher/abyssal and Octarine core. Octarine cooldown works on Echo Sabre cool down, which means you're double attacking more. More attacks = more chances to bash. Overwhelm on 27s cool down is really good.

6.87 definitely feels like the rise of Strength melee carries. Agi melee carries seem terrible now, ranged Agi carries might still be good (Hurricane Pike seems custom made for Drow). Intel carries like QoP got super luxury item in the form of Bloodthorn too.

Still need to try it on Bristle ya, I thought he was on the cusp of breaking into the overall meta already and the changes to BM and Echo Saber are theoretically a huge buff.

I agree that Strength Melee seems to be the new direction. I still reallllly want to make an Offlane DK work but even with his buffs he still isn't very viable outside of dragon form until he gets stacked. His damage output is so low.

In my mind it's amazing for Drow and Clinkz. Haven't tried it in a real game though

Tried it on Mirana and I was able to land a few Pike into Arrow combos but it wasn't consistent. :(

Smithy C

In my mind it's amazing for Drow and Clinkz. Haven't tried it in a real game though

In theory it's great for them, but it'll take practice because it pushes the enemy back and I never took it into consideration. Every time I used it I ended up pushing them into the trees and they juked me and got away.

pompidu

aaaah.gif

Nothing counters it now, besides not attacking, blademail first mid game item for every game, every hero.

Edit: Bkb becoming more and more irrelevant.

Chris R

Hurricane Pike seems not worth the upgrade from Force Staff.

You are looking at it the wrong way. It isn't an upgraded Force Staff, it's an upgraded Dragon Lance. When you are a squishy ranged hero, getting some separation from an already occupied item slot for just a few minutes of farm is a nice perk.

Top Bottom