• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Exitar

Neo Member
Damnnit went from. Oou battle pass. To, " i literally need everything" shame river blood is frigging level 2500. I always did -river red everytime id start dota 1

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Looking forward to hearing the difference between your free MMR and your $10 MMR. Please keep my posted.

Yea I think people don't realize how effective the MMR system really is...

5589cd6bc4.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
He played little while his old MMR remained. So the games are probably a little too tough for him because he is matched up against people who as good as he once was.
ding ding ding
Half of those are GAF tourney matches after 3-4 months of not playing

shira

It's actually cheaper to make a smurf and gift them 7 battle pass to get 7 treasure III's than it is to level up to level 240

Feels a bit odd that none of the new immortals have custom icons.

Also, apparently more than half the river effects are unused:
b99262f090.jpg

I wanna Miracle style some mid with a change color rune snipe

The new terrain is pretty. Now Valve, please rework all terrain to show juke paths, like you should have done ages ago.

Also this cat healing ward is
jugg-dizzy.gif
SO CUTE
jugg-dizzy.gif

uScBf05.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
He played little while his old MMR remained. So the games are probably a little too tough for him because he is matched up against people who are as good as he once was.

ding ding ding
Half of those are GAF tourney matches after 3-4 months of not playing

Ahh ok, this makes more sense then. So you're actually hoping to recalibrate at a LOWER mmr than you're at now? That's the exact opposite of what I imagine everybody who sees that would shoot for.

G.ZZZ

That terrain looks amazing i want to play on that forever.

Is it locked behind how many american dollars?

EDIT: 57 American dollars for a terrain? Are you fucking nuts valve.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ahh ok, this makes more sense then. So you're actually hoping to recalibrate at a LOWER mmr than you're at now? That's the exact opposite of what I imagine everybody who sees that would shoot for.
Yup. Although tbh 40 games at 25% WR is -750 MMR so it's not even needed I'll sit at like 3k which is probably it so maybe not even bother.

I feel like "elo hell" and all that conspiratory shit is one of the few things in Dota that has been disproven time and time again. No point even bringing it up because there is so much evidence against it. Calibration works insanely well; MMR is usually very, very accurate unless you are at the very extremes of the MMR ladder (either at the very bottom or at the very top) and smurf detection works insanely fast as well. Valve's matchmaking is honestly really good. Everybody hovers at like 47-53% winrate which is absolutely ideal.

I figured it was one of those "I should be at 5k but I'm stuck at 3k because of all these shitties" situations. I can't wait until the end of this Season Pass to watch /r/DotA2 collectively bitch about how the MMR system is fundamentally broken when they re-calibrate within 100 MMR of their original level.

I feel like "elo hell" and all that conspiratory shit is one of the few things in Dota that has been disproven time and time again. No point even bringing it up because there is so much evidence against it. Calibration works insanely well; MMR is usually very, very accurate unless you are at the very extremes of the MMR ladder (either at the very bottom or at the very top) and smurf detection works insanely fast as well. Valve's matchmaking is honestly really good. Everybody hovers at like 47-53% winrate which is absolutely ideal.

Basically. I haven't been actively working my ass off to get better, but have slowly made my way from 3k solo MMR up to around 3.5k over the past few months--a lot of it was me just varying up my picks (playing more supports and offlanes rather than try to Jungle and Carry every game) and watching a lot more pro matches (and using that knowledge to ward/deward better, juke more, etc). I definitely notice I play better now than I did like 6 months ago, and my MMR has steadily gone up. Granted that's only a net change of 21 matches, but to float around there (I haven't dipped below 3.4k in quite a while) is a definite improvement. I have no real explanation for my Party MMR though, other than that I play like crap with my friends--or rather with certain friends who just refuse to actually try and get better at the game. I could probably sit at 4k with relative ease, or play against people at that level, but I also do a lot of dumb crap still and don't play enough to justify climbing up higher.

Hylian7

"The Trench"/" Elo hell "/" MMR hell " do not actually exist like you have said, and are just things people come up with when they lose games, whether due to actually having bad teammates or not. It pretty much goes in the same category as the even sillier sounding "forced 50% win rate". There are people that actually believe in that one.

That isn't to say you won't ever get strings of games where it feels like everything is against you winning, including teammate shenanigans, abandons, and the like, but these MMR setbacks are usually temporary. I'm in one right now, but I have won like my last 2-3 ranked games, so it is going up. Many of the recent loses that dragged it down were cases like me as TA with Deso was the only person hitting buildings, and Sven chased heroes, making us unable to take the final rax to secure Megas. Another recent one was where we were winning it, then our Rubick abandoned something like 20 minutes in, which put us in a really bad spot. Salvaging it 4v5 was difficult if not downright impossible without his disable or steals.

However the last 2 games have been ridiculously in my team's favor.

On a side note, a pet peeve of mine is when someone wants to do something silly and stupid, and rationalizes it by saying " shut up you're Xk trash ", despite it being a ranked game and they are close to your MMR. Calling them out on this usually leads to " This is my smurf, my other account is 10k", and it is bullshit every single time. Sometimes their silly pick, lane or whatever works. I had a Treant best a Storm mid somehow, although watching the Storm, he was just bad or having an off game.

Kopite

Anyone else get this annoying problem when downloading/updating Dota where Steam just gives you a download corrupt error and you have to resume it manually every time? It's happened on both my Mac and Windows, and I've even tried deleting local content, previous updates,etc. to no avail. The current update is taking me forever because I have to keep updating manually.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmm I tried to calibrate my season MMR with a friend at lunch but it would not allow us as there was too big of a real MMR gap between us.
cBj1LTf.png

Surely that is a bug?

Vade

That terrain looks amazing i want to play on that forever.

Is it locked behind how many american dollars?

EDIT: 57 American dollars for a terrain? Are you fucking nuts valve.

Just do the normal Italian thing and not pay taxes, how do you think Siciliancarbine got so rich?

marrec

Banned
how on earth are we supposed to be able to cut down 20,000,000,000 trees
facepalm.gif

Valve has to realize they fucked up and will probably just accelerate it artificially. Like, every one tree cut counts as 4 or 6 or 10.

Like anyone will even notice.

Alternatively, we all just play Batrider every game.

inkls

I guess I figured it would wipe the slate clean when calibrating the season MMR and not take the current MMR into account at all.

Even when you initially calibrate you have a "hidden" mmr thats used in unranked matchmaking to match you with people close to your skill level (although not as much as ranked).

So when you do your 10 calibration matches you essentially get a couple hundred mmr above or below your unranked mmr depending on how your calibration games went.

I have like zero regard for "the sanctity of the lore" or whatever, so the sillier skins tend to be my favorite ones. Playing dress-up or what-if is way more fun for me than traying to justify the outfit within the character.

Case in point: the mount pointed out in the post below your is the exact one I use in HotS.

It's the "check out how fuckin sick this is" ones (like some of the "evil" HotS skins) that do nothing for me. But even those I wouldn't call obnoxious.

I dislike most goofy 'halloween costume' skins, but not because it goes against the lore or breaks immersion or anything. It is for a reason that is probably a million times more stupid: it lacks dignity. Overwatch really nailed their character designs, and allowing people to ruin that by putting on fake moustaches and running around as pirates or bikers or The Joker is feels like such a shame.

Now excuse me as I eat this salad in my grey 3-piece suit while I try not to have any fun today.

Wok

It took me 16 tries to be able to meepwn.

I had been hugely underestimating the power of blink dagger + sheep stick.

Top Bottom