• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

manfestival

The interplay between Overwatch's heroes is a million times more interesting than the classes in TF2. After playing each class in TF2 a handful of times I was bored with the game. In Overwatch there isn't enough time left in my life to play all of the heroes as much as I'd like to.

hah you know that totally makes sense. There really isnt enough time to feel like you overplay the hero of choice and the fact that you feel inclined to change heroes midway through matches never feeling like you were fully up on one hero.

I do feel like hating TF2 but liking overwatch is a tad silly thing to say since overwatch feels way too close at times to tf2

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Honestly that probably is the simple core of it. I really am not a fan of the multitude of classes in overwatch, and prefer TF2's simplicity. Additionally, the gunplay and weird technical flaws of overwatch really are hard for me to get over.

I dunno about any technical flaws, but I've been hearing a lot of gripes over the tick rate thing and I don't really get it. It's not meant to be a super precise, twitch shooter. Occasionally I'll die and be like "I'm SURE I hit that button" but my ability didn't go off, or I'll get shot after it looked like I was behind a wall, but that doesn't break the game for me at all. I can see why people who play a lot of hyper competitive shooty games like CS Go care about that but to me and I'm sure the vast number of people that play Overwatch, it just doesn't matter.
I do feel like hating TF2 but liking overwatch is a tad silly thing to say since overwatch feels way too close at times to tf2
That's sensible. I should disclaim that my experience with TF2 was in 2 phases. The first was on the Orange Box on Xbox 360 which was dead as shit and unsupported, and on the PC ca. 2014 when Valve had already ruined it with hats and loot drops. So I didn't really play TF2 at its peak. Hate is probably too strong of a word, but I never felt compelled to play it more.

manfestival

That's sensible. I should disclaim that my experience with TF2 was in 2 phases. The first was on the Orange Box on Xbox 360 which was dead as shit and unsupported, and on the PC ca. 2014 when Valve had already ruined it with hats and loot drops. So I didn't really play TF2 at its peak. Hate is probably too strong of a word, but I never felt compelled to play it more.

Yeah I cant really blame you there. I loved the game and played it quite a bit for a couple of years then the game started going the hat route and I started caring for it less. Then eventually I stopped playing after they introduced man vs machine. I try to play it here and there but it feels like there is way too much game added for the sake of making a dollar now that it gets in the way of what made the game so appealing at first

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I found first picking a safelane carry and just counting on the enemy counterpick being played by someone who's not as familiar with their hero worked pretty damn well.

Why the linkens on slark, though? Seems like BKB would've done you more good, or some other offensive item (work towards abyssal or maybe orchid 2? I still dunno how orchid 2 does on slark but it seems so fucking good in theory).
I definitely needed the bkb more than the linkens but at the time I bought it pudge ult was the only concerning ability on their team because disruptor was keeping tabs on the invoker. After a few items though he got too slippery and probably would have solo carried his team if I wasn't already so far ahead.

I definitely needed the bkb more than the linkens but at the time I bought it pudge ult was the only concerning ability on their team because disruptor was keeping tabs on the invoker. After a few items though he got too slippery and probably would have solo carried his team if I wasn't already so far ahead.

Yeah, fair enough. long duration disables like that can really fuck up slark. I used to really love linkens but over time I really started to dislike the item. Feel like it could use a slight change in terms of up time.

PdcfDqy.png
Got a pretty steep hill to climb.

PS: I enabled some more graphs.

PUB6OuY.png

Zoon

Is it even possible for a normal person to reach let's say lvl 250 in the battle pass without buying levels? I feel like the previous one had better value. What they did with the 2nd and 3rd immortal treasures and the LC path being given in higher levels only seems pretty shitty.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
In Yugioh Arc V, when the bad guys trap people into cards, they wave the cards around as if they were drying a Polaroid photo. I find it pretty amusing.

I don't get how the Xyz machinic universe place got taken over by the Fusion Mechanic universe place. The Xyz summon mechanic seem so much more flexible than Fusion, you just need 2 cards of the same level and bamn, you get to summon some amazing card from the Extra Deck and not be forced to draw it. Also, only like 2 people so far in 50 episodes have had any sort of serious draw engine to compliment their decks that play 4 cards a turn, they are pretty bad at card games. Also I wish their draws were a little less perfect, three people drawing their 1 off pair of 2 cards in their opening hand is not realistic, come on, do you even card game Yugioh? This show is totally unrealistic.

I am not sure how this works but I won a game 3v5 as Bane (mostly for the Tactical Pause quest).

Apparently having a Lina and a Riki that abandon doesn't matter when you're a single core Sven that doesn't give a fuck.

Hylian7

Vulkan seems to perform well for me (found out yesterday it wasn't actually working, but I fixed that today), however it has some weird issues, like this thing where the whole map flickers every few seconds depending on how you move the camera or click something. I noticed there was also weirdness with dragging and right clicking items, but that one isn't as big of a deal.

On an unrelated note: Can someone point me to the origin of the avatars Milk, Twookie, and Anbokr are using?

Low Tier
In Yugioh Arc V, when the bad guys trap people into cards, they wave the cards around as if they were drying a Polaroid photo. I find it pretty amusing.

I don't get how the Xyz machinic universe place got taken over by the Fusion Mechanic universe place. The Xyz summon mechanic seem so much more flexible than Fusion, you just need 2 cards of the same level and bamn, you get to summon some amazing card from the Extra Deck and not be forced to draw it. Also, only like 2 people so far in 50 episodes have had any sort of serious draw engine to compliment their decks that play 4 cards a turn, they are pretty bad at card games. Also I wish their draws were a little less perfect, three people drawing their 1 off pair of 2 cards in their opening hand is not realistic, come on, do you even card game Yugioh? This show is totally unrealistic.

is this a real troll or not i cant tell

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
is this a real troll or not i cant tell
Is what real? That they made a 5th show about a card game, and this one features people from different dimensions that each reflect the previous 4 shows (So we get a fair share of 'CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES' mixed in with our mulitidimensional nonsense)

Or that I'm mostly ignoring how craxy/stupid/anime the plot is, and instead criticising how bad of players almost everyone is, despite their entire lives revolving around card games.

Linux benchmarks?
LCnCRPK.gif

Vulkan seems to perform well for me (found out yesterday it wasn't actually working, but I fixed that today), however it has some weird issues, like this thing where the whole map flickers every few seconds depending on how you move the camera or click something. I noticed there was also weirdness with dragging and right clicking items, but that one isn't as big of a deal.
The flickering is an Nvidia driver issue that Valve is working on fixing with them.

You can do: r_dota_shadows 0 - and it should help a little if you don't mind having shadows disabled.

Acinixys

Is it even possible for a normal person to reach let's say lvl 250 in the battle pass without buying levels? I feel like the previous one had better value. What they did with the 2nd and 3rd immortal treasures and the LC path being given in higher levels only seems pretty shitty.

Someone on reddit worked it out to be like 175 or something

And thats if you get every quest maxed + get the max value every time out of the Lina Roulette game

kionedrik

If a company creates a way to bypass the road to an objective you can be sure they'll make that road as bumpy and as unpleasant as possible, otherwise what would be the motivation to buy a way to circumvent the hardship? Welcome to the freemium future.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Probably not, but we don't really know for sure.

I want to see what sort of Reaction would happen if Valve releases an Arcana that increases the prize pool, but is only going to be sold during TI6.

GorillaJu

What is the benefit of using the Vulkan engine? I've got a pretty old machine and my video card isn't even supported for Vulkan but there seems to be no issues with it for me after enabling.

Zoon

If a company creates a way to bypass the road to an objective you can be sure they'll make that road as bumpy and as unpleasant as possible, otherwise what would be the motivation to buy a way to circumvent the hardship? Welcome to the freemium future.

I mean, I am not against buying levels but it seems literally impossible to gain levels later on. The only way will be wagering which at best case scenario is 2 levels per week. What happened to having to play to level up?

Hylian7

Linux benchmarks?
LCnCRPK.gif

The flickering is an Nvidia driver issue that Valve is working on fixing with them.

You can do: r_dota_shadows 0 - and it should help a little if you don't mind having shadows disabled.

How do you activate this in game? I entered it as a command in the vconsole and it said it's cheat protected. Do I need the regular console to do it instead or what?

Wok

I mean, I am not against buying levels but it seems literally impossible to gain levels later on. The only way will be wagering which at best case scenario is 2 levels per week. What happened to having to play to level up?

In my opinion, Valve's whale management has been going absurd ways after Varoufakis got fired.

Hylian7

I'm sort of on the Jakiro boat, as well as some of my friends, although mainly it's because they will have to give him a new model like Zeus if he were to win.

Uninstalled the game. No point playing a game and having bad mood during it and afterwards. I'll commit my gaming time to single player games in the future. See ya.

Uninstalled the game. No point playing a game and having bad mood during it and afterwards. I'll commit my gaming time to single player games in the future. See ya.

Good call. I did the same awhile back because the negativity would ruin my mood hours after a match.

-
Apparently singsing finally purged his garbage mods.
misc-beaver.gif

Good call. I did the same awhile back because the negativity would ruin my mood hours after a match.

-
Apparently singsing finally purged his garbage mods.
misc-beaver.gif

I am an ass to the guys I play with and then I feel bad about it once I cooled down. Such a miserable feeling. There is no excuse honestly. My temper and this games explosive potential don't mix very well at all.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
http://ettugamer.com/2016/05/13/overwatch-beta/

This is an interesting article as far as a comparison between TF2 and OW's game mechanics go. It is certainly a mood killer though.

Yeah I was about to link this, very detailed article that hits a lot of points I failed to identify or express (to myself) when playing through the beta. He really nails some of the weaknesses of overwatch imo, looking beyond the new game sheen, cute characters, and blizzard name. That being said, the game was still enjoyable, but he hits the flaws right on the money.

Blizzard has a very distinct style of design that has seeped into modern WoW, HoTS, Hearthstone, and now Overwatch. While the games are still very much enjoyable, they make for very poor competitive games in my view, and it's because of Blizzard's tendency to dampen individual skill at any and every opportunity in favor of artificial RNG or raw button mashing (or sticking to a very pure and direct rock, paper, scissors counter model) that moves that imaginary power ticker (between two teams or players) back and forth to keep you on the hook. Makes for fun games in short bursts, but never gives me the same satisfaction as dota, CS, or various strategy games. Makes for certainly less frustrating games due to the limits placed on you, but also less rewarding.

I'll happily log in to play hots once in awhile for a few matches (30 mins a night at most), log in for a few arena matches, or log in for a few overwatch matches (when it was in beta or if it was f2p), but that's the extent. And this theme is deeply entrenched into Blizzard games--those games just don't hook me at the gut, they're the equivalent of gaming "snacks" for me personally. Enjoyed in short bursts and quite relaxing, but not something I end up playing long-term or for extended periods. Snacks are still intrinsic and great though, just can't replace a full meal.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Overwatch is the panacea to my Dota rage. Give it a whirl Imp. If you rage while playing Overwatch too you probably actually should stop playing competitive games. Just have some fun with it!

Overwatch is the panacea to my Dota rage. Give it a whirl Imp. If you rage while playing Overwatch too you probably actually should stop playing competitive games. Just have some fun with it!

I'm terrible at shooters but I did consider it. Once I have the money I might give it a shot.

I get really mad at Dota and Pro Evolution Soccer. Those games rile me up so bad. Thank god Pro Evolution Soccer went to shit like 7 years ago.

kionedrik

In my opinion, Valve's whale management has been going absurd ways after Varoufakis got fired.

I think you can pinpoint the moment when their priorities shifted to when he was hired actually. If I'm not mistaken it was in the beginning of 2012 and looking at how their games developed since then you can clearly see how Valve started chasing the whales and employing more and more aggressive whale-hunting tactics in their games. There's a reason they don't do single player games anymore.

LiQuid!

I'm terrible at shooters but I did consider it. Once I have the money I might give it a shot.

I get really mad at Dota and Pro Evolution Soccer. Those games rile me up so bad. Thank god Pro Evolution Soccer went to shit like 7 years ago.

If you're terrible at shooters play Reinhardt and Mercy. Your teams will love you. Zero shooting required.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I have question concerning dota.

Is there any significant different between 'hold' and 'stop', particularly when I'm having the "Auto Attack" option on Standard ("Attack any nearby target unless you have just moved, denied a creep, or pressed the hold or stop key.")

If there isn't a specific situations so that you need both I'll just get rid of one and free up a good hotkey position.

Is the daily hero challenge same for everyone?

Pretty damn sure it is not.

Wok

I think you can pinpoint the moment when their priorities shifted to when he was hired actually. If I'm not mistaken it was in the beginning of 2012 and looking at how their games developed since then you can clearly see how Valve started chasing the whales and employing more and more aggressive whale-hunting tactics in their games. There's a reason they don't do single player games anymore.

I believe Varoufakis helped develop an interesting market place ; he also helped with hooking whales (I fell into it).

While you are right, it is only after he left Valve that some absurd measures such as untradeable exclusive items and market restrictions were introduced.

I mean, the whole point of exclusive items is that you own something exclusive which is not tied to your account: there is some value to owning the item because you can trade the item. It was a time I could sell my 5 rainmakers for $50 each and be happy about getting free T-shirts. Nowadays, if I spend about $50, I can grind my way to an untradeable map... If I spend all I have, I can have blood in the river for 10 minutes...

Top Bottom