• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
TI prizepool tracking behind last year's isn't amazingly surprising when you think about the fact that we've had 3 compendiums this year compared with 2 last year tbh

Anyone knows if there's still any way to get this 'alt-move' order where you simply move into the direction as long as the pathing allows it, never changing the direction you're facing? So you can make sure you don't mess up abilities like pounce, leap, SFs razes etc.

kionedrik

I believe Varoufakis helped develop an interesting market place ; he also helped with hooking whales (I fell into it).

While you are right, it is only after he left Valve that some absurd measures such as untradeable exclusive items and market restrictions were introduced.

The simple fact Valve felt the need to employ someone to exclusively study the market and research ways to exploit it tells a lot about the company's priorities.

You are right about the time frame of things but there's no way to tell whose fault it is. Between points A (Varoufakis joins) and B (untradable items + other egregious whale hunting tactics) there were a lot of steps made. And even though we only reached B many months later, the plan must have been there for a long time and I believe a big chunk of the ideas/strategies were his.

I mean, the whole point of exclusive items is that you own something exclusive which is not tied to your account: there is some value to owning the item because you can trade the item. It was a time I could sell my 5 rainmakers for $50 each and be happy about getting free T-shirts. Nowadays, if I spend about $50, I can grind my way to an untradeable map... If I spend all I have, I can have blood in the river for 10 minutes...

This is a text book example of corporate greed. Valve was getting some of the money through direct sales to the players and market sales between players but people had the chance to use things like dota2lounge to trade items and make a profit, effectively cutting Valve out of the profit loop. Not being content with only having part of the profit they arranged ways to have all of the profit. Because money is the only thing that matters.

Side note: The legitimacy of such sites is questionable tbh but Valve's way of dealing with a person's property (even though it's just a virtual dress for a virtual doll in a virtual game that they own) is also shady. Basically they inadvertently created a market they had no control over so they went full panic mode.

Edit: I say this with a heavy heart because Valve wasn't always like this. They did a lot of good in the past but in my eyes they are burning every single ounce of hard earned goodwill they won during those years.

Twookie

Anyone knows if there's still any way to get this 'alt-move' order where you simply move into the direction as long as the pathing allows it, never changing the direction you're facing? So you can make sure you don't mess up abilities like pounce, leap, SFs razes etc.

i have this right now, so it's definitely possible still

think i had to use the console to use it, can't remember

baby im sorry

Can you win an ember game today?
thinking.gif

Thanks.

Love how varoufakis is the darling of the left when his professional legacy has been to help cultivate an economy based on appealing to addictive tendencies aping gambling.

kvk1

Overwatch already below Hearthstone on twitch... bomba?

Man, please don't bring this intentionally dense Gaming side bullshit here.

I assume you're not an idiot, and your main metric for a game being "bomba" is not it falling below Hearthstone on Twitch at 7 AM PDT on a fucking Wednesday.

gai_shain

I assume you're not an idiot, and your main metric for a game being "bomba" is not it falling below Hearthstone on Twitch at 7 AM PDT on a fucking Wednesday.

nah hes right overwatch is dead, time to move on

Bad7667

Reading all the complaining over on reddit about the autoexec changes. I'm surprised at all the things you could change to receive an advantage over other players. Didn't know about the invoker bind (which is cheating in my mind) or the move without pathing commands and armlet toggle.

These things either shouldn't be allowed ever, or be made into the game as options.

M.D

Sorry for going off-topic, but I have question concerning dota.

Is there any significant different between 'hold' and 'stop', particularly when I'm having the "Auto Attack" option on Standard ("Attack any nearby target unless you have just moved, denied a creep, or pressed the hold or stop key.")

If there isn't a specific situations so that you need both I'll just get rid of one and free up a good hotkey position.

Pretty damn sure it is not.

nope, it's random for everyone

Thanks!

About hold vs stop, I found this on playdota

"Don't take this one as the single and only difference, but here is what I know:

- Hold Position, does what its name suggests, makes the unit hold its position. Issued unit stays stationary on that position as if he/she was ensnared, attacks the targets that get within his/her Attack Range

- Stop, on the other hand, makes the unit get leashed upon that location where you've issued the stop order. It makes the unit stay upon that location when being idle, and allows the unit to move if required. The stopped units may start moving when they detect a unit nearby, regarding their Acquisation Range, get closer until they get their targets within their attack range, even chase them further for longer when their targets get away. After some set duration of chasing, the stopped unit will return back to where the stop order had been given.
Basically this is what happens with the neutrals"

Reading all the complaining over on reddit about the autoexec changes. I'm surprised at all the things you could change to receive an advantage over other players. Didn't know about the invoker bind (which is cheating in my mind) or the move without pathing commands and armlet toggle.

These things either shouldn't be allowed ever, or be made into the game as options.
Reddit really picks the weirdest things to get upset about.

didn't someone post here about certain keybinds that pros use? or was that just basic autoexec stuff like preventing map zoom etc.

I wonder if there's an official ban list of commands/binds that aren't allowed in pro tournies, or if everything is fair game

Wok

didn't someone post here about certain keybinds that pros use? or was that just basic autoexec stuff like preventing map zoom etc.

I wonder if there's an official ban list of commands/binds that aren't allowed in pro tournies, or if everything is fair game

Well, for a start, Meepo scripts should not work anymore.

//poof combo
alias "poof" "dota_select_all_others; dota_ability_quickcast 1; dota_cycle_selected; dota_ability_quickcast 1; dota_cycle_selected; dota_ability_quickcast 1; dota_cycle_selected; dota_ability_quickcast 1; dota_select_all"

bind R poof

//net disable
alias "netdisable" "dota_cycle_selected; dota_ability_execute 0"

bind E netdisable

Invoker's spells, and armlet toggle, should not work as well, since they involve more than two command lines per key input.

I don't know whether Axe's hp threshold still works.

bind "n" "hpchange"
alias "hpchange" "lvl1"
alias "lvl1" "dota_health_per_vertical_marker 250; say_team lvl1; alias hpchange lvl2"
alias "lvl2" "dota_health_per_vertical_marker 325; say_team lvl2; alias hpchange lvl3"
alias "lvl3" "dota_health_per_vertical_marker 400; say_team lvl3; alias hpchange aghs"
alias "aghs" "dota_health_per_vertical_marker 550; say_team aghs; alias hpchange lvl1"

Russ T

Banned
Did you play in the beta at all? I don't think it'll come as a shock to you guys but I literally hate everything. With every fibre of my being all I do is hate. I actively hate all Blizzard games. I hate Team Fortress 2. I had zero expectation that I was going to care about Overwatch in the slightest. Then I got in the closed beta and after a day of playing I couldn't wait to tell everybody I knew how much I loved it.

If you tried it and still don't care, that's fine. Nothing is going to be for everyone, but something about Overwatch transcends its influences to me. I can't really explain it, it's just too fun to play.

i'd rather play tf2

Quesa

I really like International Ranked if for no other reason than I can play Ranked AP without having to worry about points. Miles better than unranked AP.

i can only play overwatch for like 2-3 matches before getting tired of it

That's common. Doesn't have to be an all-nighter kind of thing for me to enjoy it. I'm confident I'll be playing it in short bursts for a while.

I really like International Ranked if for no other reason than I can play Ranked AP without having to worry about points. Miles better than unranked AP.

I've been enjoying my International Ranked matches more than regular Ranked too. I feel like that's because there are a bunch of tryhards like me who are convinced that if they recalibrate they'll actually end up at a higher MMR bracket than they currently are.

Given that I'm still getting into High skill games (as opposed to Very High Skill) I guess that's not actually true.
dac15_sad.gif

inkls

EleGiggle.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, for a start, Meepo scripts should not work anymore.

Invoker's spells, and armlet toggle, should not work as well, since they involve more than two command lines per key input.

I don't know whether Axe's hp threshold still works.

For the Axe thing, "Toggles" do not work anymore.

A solution you could do instead is to have each state bound to a button though, so when you want to have the level 1 version, you push like 7, and it can execute 'dota_health_per_vertical_marker 250', when you want the level 2 version, you push 8. And so on. That kind of setup should still work.

Wok

For the Axe thing, "Toggles" do not work anymore.

A solution you could do instead is to have each state bound to a button though, so when you want to have the level 1 version, you push like 7, and it can execute 'dota_health_per_vertical_marker 250', when you want the level 2 version, you push 8. And so on. That kind of setup should still work.

Yes, it should work. One could also directly open the console and type the command (there is auto-completion).

Indignate

I was looking for this too. This should work.

cl_dota_alt_unit_movetodirection 1

Top Bottom