• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Apart from [A] being there it's a pretty good group.

https://oddshot.tv/shot/AdmiralBulldog/Uzoz5VvYz5VJipE6A2BDmlbF

hush.gif

Vade

I got my iPhone 4 since summer 2010 and it's been one hell of a device but it barely functions anymore these days which is why I'm looking to upgrade.

It's definitely gonna be either the Z3 or Z3 Compact but I'm HIGHLY unsure as to which smart phone to get next. I am totally fine with the size of my iPhone 4 (<4" display I think?) and have very little demand for huge ass displays as I have an iPad 3 as well. However, given that I don't change my phones as often, my purchase needs to be 100% future proof. I don't want to find myself regretting not just having swallowed the slightly unhandy display size and enjoyed 1080p awesomeness with high end specs and so forth.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Is 5'2" too big? Will I regret buying a 720p device when I'm planning to use it for another 3-4 years? Did you guys go from a 4" to a >5' phone and got used to it quickly?

The fact that I can't reach the upper left of the screen with my right thumb (tried that at IFA a week ago) depressed me quite a bit to be frank. I don't want to operate my phone with two hands.

edit: Meant to type "an Xperia Z3".

EPIC THREAD

&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9604;&#9604;
&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9604;&#9604;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9604;
&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617; Valve, &#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;Add This&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;Please!&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9619;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9608;
&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9600;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9617;&#9600;&#9600;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9600;

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How were they shit before? You have a new 3DS or circle pad? I thought camera is fine in 4U.

I think I am going to try bow again with the new styles. It was not fun solo hunting with it in 4U IMO. Someone made a whine post on reddit about one of the new bow arts tripping hunters, which makes me really, REALLY want to use bow and spam that shit so I trip people constantly.

Also I heard my swag axe is top tier now so I will probably play a bunch more of that since it was already the best weapon in the game. I just hope a bunch of tier kiddies don't start using it now thinking they're legit.

How were they shit before? You have a new 3DS or circle pad? I thought camera is fine in 4U.

I think I am going to try bow again with the new styles. It was not fun solo hunting with it in 4U IMO. Someone made a whine post on reddit about one of the new bow arts tripping hunters, which makes me really, REALLY want to use bow and spam that shit so I trip people constantly.

Also I heard my swag axe is top tier now so I will probably play a bunch more of that since it was already the best weapon in the game. I just hope a bunch of tier kiddies don't start using it now thinking they're legit.
tier kiddies are always into Great Sword since that shit will never get nerfed because it is the favorite. It was easily the most op shit in MH4U, even with Charge Blade being also OP.

Russ T

Banned
I have a new 3ds, and had a circle pad pro before that. Tried it on all three configurations. It's just Bad.

The typical response is "you will get used to it and realize why it's good" but that's like saying I'll come to love papercuts if I just experience enough of them.

It's frustrating because I KNOW I'd love the game if the camera was even just HALF as shit as it is right now. I keep hoping for a console version to come around again so I can finally give it another shot but...

I mean, I have an old 3DS so I can't really emphatize since I have like 200 hours in MH4U and even did my Apex fucks farming, awful by the way. I guess it depends on your hands size and fingers.

Kid Icarus Uprising is one game that has lot of shit I love, but the aiming with stylus is incredibly hard to get used to. So I finished the game with ABYX aiming and easier modes.

Demoli

With the lock on tap the camra is fine tbh. Dual analogues is better of course but i see no issue with the way it currently is.

I dunno which weapon I'll use in X tbh. In 4G i started with CB but in the end I used Glaive, Hammer, LBG and boomstick way more than I did CB.

I refused to use the GS in 4G, it was waaaaay overpowered. Too much synergy with too many armour skills and the new double swipe just made it break the limits of reasonable.

I'll probably use either Hammer or LBG, since aerial and bushido are really fun with those 2.

And man, that monter selection for X is borderline perfect

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I use the circle pad pro and tap to lock on and I didn't have any problem with the camera after just a few hours of play. It could maybe use a bit of a sensitivity bump, but other than that the only hindrance to me being a pro monster hunter is lack of aptitude.

this thread is amazing btw, as someone who hasn't been following MHX since it came out in Japan. All the quality of life changes mentioned in there (remove all decorations?!) are game changers. I'm so excited.

Ultrabum

yeah i played for ten hours because i believe the lies of people like you

GAME IS SHIT BURN EVERYTHING LIFE WAS A MISTAKE

Monster hunter is literally the best game ever, the camera is pretty good now.

I first started playing on a PSP and learned the most awkward grip with my thumb low on the circle pad and my ring finger inverted above my thumb on the D pad. That camera and grip set up was fucking terrible.

The lock on makes a huge difference now, also I highly recommend the circle of pro. Honestly I really hope they put it out on NX, like 3u on the wiiU so I can get some high tea monster hunting.

nocturne done! woohoo! the final boss was a push over.
I want to use my second save ,with the 5th kalpa done, to the finish the game again and fight the secret boss. I am dreading having to go through all the annoying random encounters tho. X_X

LiQuid!

Ya my friend used to tell me horror stories of MonHun on the PSP

Fucking savages... People who played like this are SAVAGES. You think you got problems Russ?

real talk: I wish they still made new MH games on consoles. I'd honestly buy a Wii U (or any other console for that matter) to play some MonHun in HD with console graphics and a proper controller. I hear the PC MMO monster hunter is poopy, that's unfortunate.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A MISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

it's cool that people love it

i wish i could

I liked playing the game on consoles (Played 3 on the Wii a good amount). Its most fun being played multiplayers, and as such its best if you pick it up at release. I got a good 60 hours out of MH3, and likely would have gotten more if I didn't brick my Wii and lose my save. But I have no desire to play again.

Fucking savages... People who played like this are SAVAGES. You think you got problems Russ?

real talk: I wish they still made new MH games on consoles. I'd honestly buy a Wii U (or any other console for that matter) to play some MonHun in HD with console graphics and a proper controller. I hear the PC MMO monster hunter is poopy, that's unfortunate.
Honestly the claw is overexaggerated. Played through MHP3rd recently and only needed to occasionally move my pointer finger around to that position, definitely didn't need to hold it there for any extended period.

Demoli

Both MMOs are trash

The new one has damage numbers. DAMAGE NUMBERS! makes me wanna puke

Nocturne was excellent. One of the most memorable JRPGs I have ever played. I found
Beelzebub
incredibly hard back then.

Its a great game for sure! loved it.

That demon got me the first two tries. but thankfully I had a demon with tetrja to
null his insta death bullshit

Mot and Bishamonten
(shrine version)
were a real pain in the ass and took several tries to beat them.

Next game on my list is Persona 3 FES

Russ T

Banned

hahaha holy shit what the fuck is that

that picture sure does make me feel bad for whining about 3ds camera controls

a significant part of why i'm excited for horizon: zero dawn is cause it looks like it'll give me a monster hunter esque experience but on consoles (plus i just like the setting more)

though honestly i can't be sure how much of that is just surface-level similarities, it's entirely possible or even probable that they're very different games once you start playing them

Demoli

hahaha holy shit what the fuck is that

that picture sure does make me feel bad for whining about 3ds camera controls

a significant part of why i'm excited for horizon: zero dawn is cause it looks like it'll give me a monster hunter esque experience but on consoles (plus i just like the setting more)

though honestly i can't be sure how much of that is just surface-level similarities, it's entirely possible or even probable that they're very different games once you start playing them

From what I've seen Horizon looks nothing like monster hunter. People throw the "it even looks like monster hunter" line at everything that resembles using traps to hold down a big boss monster, or even just fighting big ass monsters.

I've seen that being thrown at the Witcher 3, Dragons Dogma, even goddamn xenoblade X, and its wrong every time.

Volodja

The claw was fiiiiiine, I found it to be smoother than the 3ds controls which I still didn't have many issues with, but I preferred bows in the PSP versions. However, the addition of the pseudo lock-on was quite nice.

Russ T

Banned
From what I've seen Horizon looks nothing like monster hunter.

why?

it absolutely looks like a similar type of game, although obviously with its own unique twist(s)

i never thought witcher 3 or xenoblade x looked like mh, and i never considered dragon's dogma, but i definitely wouldn't say that does either

horizon, on the other hand, is... a LITERAL monster hunting game with mechanics that go beyond "action rpg", just like mh

what makes you say it looks "nothing" like mh

you can't drop a statement like that and expect a layman to take you seriously unless you're going to explain yourself

Ultrabum

The core of monster hunter that I think most people miss is that it's dark souls combat and 99% only fighting bosses.

Dark souls style animation locked combat is pretty hard to do right, and monster hunter does it so right.

It's even deeper than dark souls in some respects, such as cutting off tails and other body parts alters the monsters hit boxes and moves in ways that significantly change the monsters move set/abilities.

It really is pretty easy to pick up a weapon and play, but to truly master all the weapon combos takes 100s of hours. I've played hundreds of hours and I don't even know all the controls, and I still don't know how to use either lance well.

To the best of my knowledge, horizon doesn't have that style of combat (I would love to be proven wrong).

why?

it absolutely looks like a similar type of game, although obviously with its own unique twist(s)

i never thought witcher 3 or xenoblade x looked like mh, and i never considered dragon's dogma, but i definitely wouldn't say that does either

horizon, on the other hand, is... a LITERAL monster hunting game with mechanics that go beyond "action rpg", just like mh

you can't drop a statement like that and expect a layman to take you seriously unless you're going to explain yourself
Horizon combat seems far more focused on spectacle than MH, Souls, even something like Toukiden. Gameplay trailers have shown the character taking significant hits from monsters with essentially no ramifications, and enemies seem largely unresponsive to the player other than brainless "CHASE".

That alone makes it nothing like monhun.

tier kiddies are always into Great Sword since that shit will never get nerfed because it is the favorite. It was easily the most op shit in MH4U, even with Charge Blade being also OP.

I think they went too far with the CB nerf in MHX.
I mean it did deserve a nerf. Having the option of going shield bash into either a super, ultra or charge was a bit much. So they nerfed it by making it so that a shield bash could only combo into a charge. That's totally fair.
But did they really have to nerf the shield bash -> charge so much that it only gives yellow charge no matter how many vials you have? I find that change frustrating because if you want to play optimally now you have to use the slower charge process and that's just not as fun.

Russ T

Banned
yeah the dark souls comparison is apt

ironically though i've made that comparison in a positive way before and a friend who loves monster hunter but hates dark souls was real upset at me about it lol

Horizon combat seems far more focused on spectacle than MH, Souls, even something like Toukiden. Gameplay trailers have shown the character taking significant hits from monsters with essentially no ramifications, and enemies seem largely unresponsive to the player other than brainless "CHASE".

That alone makes it nothing like monhun.

the bolded sure does fit the first ten hours of mh4u, which i did play

those jaggis are dumb af for example

Demoli

why?

it absolutely looks like a similar type of game, although obviously with its own unique twist

Monster hunter is a lot mroe than big ass fights.

Its the no experiene and levels bs which mean only your skill matters.

Its getting to know the monsters, their patterns, where they feed, where they sleep, what lures them, their vulnerabilities and their resistances through trial and error, not having some tooltip outright tell you.

Its having weapons with weight and power but also with drawbacks. The greatsword acts like a greatsword would in real life. Powerful, but very, very sluggish, and if you wiff you are wide open. Lances are big and clunky. Mechanical weapons take time for the gears to ger rolling. Fast dps weapons like dual blades aren't autmaticly better since it will take ages to bring down monsters without proper lockdown and staggers from heavier weapons.

It's having monster that act like real reatures would, each having their own weight and quirks to them. And being able to break certain parts to have massive implications on the fight that aren't just "that area is now exposed and does more damage"

It's preparing beforehand to which area you visit, map out your route to amxime monster hunting and gathering, then knowing that when you craft a monster weapon or full set of armour you absolutely 100% conquered that monster and area.

And its knowing subconsciously just how weak or strong the monster really is, all because of your experience with previous hunts, for both capturing or predicting their exhausting moments and exploiting them to their fullest.

Simply having boss fights with big monsters does not equate a monster hunter comparisons.

Russ T

Banned
Okay but how do you know Horizon has none of that? In fact, it has SOME of it already in videos.

PS A game can be a similar experience without being identical. It's possible. I know that's a crazy idea, but it does happen all the time!

This strikes me as similar to when people insist that the clickers in The Last of Us aren't just glorified zombies.

I mean yes it's not the same game. It was never going to be the same game. But it already has similarities. We don't know everything about it. We don't know where those similarities end. It's possible they end at the surface level (which I acknowledged the first time I brought up Horizon), but it's just as possible they don't!

Demoli

It's like saying it's similar to Crisis 3 just because it has a bow or to Tomb Raider reboot because it has a nature survival element. It's such a superficial thing to point out that it begs the question of why.

Russ T

Banned
you seem to have got this weird overly emotional horse in this race that makes it impossible to look at things objectively ):

edit: lol i forgot this was the dota thread

then again dota's basically a monster hunter game imo

Ultrabum

Horizon isn't out yet, and a lot of what makes monster hunter good is in how it plays. You can't really tell how something plays based on a video. Can you dodge roll with iFrames in horizon? Can you cancel a long attack once you start it? Can you be interrupted? Can you interrupt enemies? Can you predict enemy movements based on their AI to line up slow attacks? Does the AI have complicated routines?

I think the witcher 3 and dark souls 3 look pretty similar on video, but they play so so different. How can you know which style horizon is at this point in time?

LiQuid!

I think Horizon looks shit hot, so let's get that disclaimer out of the way.

I still think aside from the basest premise of person hunting large monsters, it actually doesn't look anything like Monster Hunter and people who say it does don't get Monster Hunter. So many games have been trying to ripoff Monster Hunter but none of them realize that the reason MH is MH is because of its combat. MH combat is so nuanced and each weapon has a depth to it that is unparalleled in any other game I've ever played. Horizon looks like it's got pretty typical western-dev 3rd person combat which automatically disqualifies it from being a MH-like.

If you think Horizon looks like MH do you also think Shadow of the Colossus looks like MH? You're a human killing large beasts in it. That's about as shallow as the comparisons to Horizon have been so far.

ed: also aren't all the weapons in Horizon bows/ranged type weapons? I think I heard the GiantBomb guys say that.

would play monhun again (tried tri and hated it) if on PC and yes I know it's a console/handheld experience yadda yadda fuck off kindly I'm not buying any more nintendo shit

sad that the most similar aspect of MH to dota is grinding for stupid low-poly cosmetics :/

LiQuid!

would play monhun again (tried tri and hated it) if on PC and yes I know it's a console/handheld experience yadda yadda fuck off kindly I'm not buying any more nintendo shit

sad that the most similar aspect of MH to dota is grinding for stupid low-poly cosmetics :/

Trying to kill Timber this patch is basically like playing MH tbh

Ultrabum

It's kind of like comparing Dota 2 and lol.

In Dota each hero has its own cast animation, speed, turn rate, attack animation ect, and it all adds a huge amount of nuance that makes the game interesting.

All those same things are there in the monsters and weapons of monster hunter, and I think a lot of people don't pick up on that.

To give a specific comparison:
Alchemist gets an attack speed buff when he has his ult on.
Nargacuga gets faster tail (and other attacks) when it becomes enraged. The faster attacks and harder to avoid outright, but they are easier to roll dodge through because the attack is faster but the iFrames from your roll stay the same. This is just one example of one attack.

Narga is in the demo if anyone is interested.

Russ T

Banned
ALL RIGHT GUYS I GET IT GEEZ

I DID SAY IT WAS SO FAR ONLY REALLY A SURFACE LEVEL SIMILARITY

I STAND BY WHAT I SAID THO

but nintendo makes the best games

G.ZZZ

The closest one could take me out everytime she wanted.

Also just wait for NX so u can play Monster Hunter on your home console 1080p 60fps Pogchamp

Wok

The closest one could take me out everytime she wanted.

Also just wait for NX so u can play Monster Hunter on your home console 1080p 60fps Pogchamp

Closest to the photograph or the guy?

And in terms of 2D distance or including the photo depth?

Basically, which one?

You don't like Templar Assassin hiding in the top right corner?

Top Bottom