• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Risible

also I don't get the point of the space between the hud elements on the bottom. It doesnt add anything to visibility and you could fit all the missing info like stats and last hits in there

Agreed. It's worse than the old hud, you don't get any useful view out of it, and now the hud is too small.

Agreed. It's worse than the old hud, you don't get any useful view out of it, and now the hud is too small.
speak for yourselves. I consider an extra 20% of screen real estate reclaimed to be very fucking useful.

UI is no longer claustrophobic and removes elements that don't need to be visible all the time. It's modern and feels that way.

UI should scale, however, for people who have vision issues and need it larger, or conversely want it even smaller.

Quesa

speak for yourselves. I consider an extra 20% of screen real estate reclaimed to be very fucking useful.

UI is no longer claustrophobic and removes elements that don't need to be visible all the time. It's modern and feels that way.

UI should scale, however, for people who have vision issues and need it larger, or conversely want it even smaller.

Yep. Wish I could map a key to learn skill, but otherwise this is way better than the old, clunky HUD.

Sianos

I think the new HUD is a solid foundation with some great new features, but it needs some more tweaking. This is the mockup I liked the most:

hAG0fBE.png

- Definitely allow for size scalability
- Move the health and mana bars to be more prominent, put stats back in where they were
- Revert the kill feed back to the left so it doesn't obstruct the shop
- Move CS and KDA to above the health and mana bar for spectator functionality and change the hold alt functionality to instead show a breakdown of base, from stats, and from items attack, armor, and movement speed
- I liked Anuxinamoon's suggestion of moving the backpack to three vertical slots to the right of the six usual item slots, allowing them all to be more readable and giving symmetry with the attack/armor/movement speed display from the mockup

Strider

My first game I couldn't see chat, pings, alt info or chat wheel messages... Hope that's fixed asap.

I actually like the hud changes for the most part but the new shop is trash.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
UI did take a game to get used to and I still haven't fully grasped it. A lot of things seem like they were put into different places just to fuck with us, like the kill feed showing up on the right side, or clicking on another hero to check their items showing up on the left side. It's all so foreign and it was not designed in a way to make the transition painless at all.

As far as gameplay, the first game we played we were NOT expecting the Treant buffs. That dude gets a fucking guaranteed bash out of invis and it's passive now, what the fuck? Used him our 2nd game and the enemy was NOT expecting it either. We brutalized a poor Wisp in lane that had NO clue what was going on. Also that game we played with Monkey King on our team and I swear to christ it was like playing Dota Imba. Team fights would resolve and I'd have no idea how damage was being done. Blink in, Treeant ult, MK ults and then suddenly their entire team disappeared. The enemy Legion Commander kept trying to duel our Monkey who then immediately destroyed her after he got his 4 procs of his passive. It was funny times.

Won 2 games with new Necro. I miss the old aghs a little but going treads-windlace-blademail-aghs-octarine was pretty fucking good. Take the strength,stats, and magic resistance. Walk people down with the new w and scythe them every 20 seconds.
The rest of the time just stand in teamfights and hurt people.

BHK3

Banned
Pretty shocked they let MK in with his current state of super fucking brokeness. Fucking Ursa levels of nonsense where if he hits you with his 300 range attack the passive stays on you for 10 years. He only needs to hit you three times, he can Q you for the 4th hit and then just pummel you down. Echo Sabre is so so so so so strong on him, double hit Q hit and their prolly already dead.

The worse part is you can't see where he jumps to even if you have high ground vision, or maybe it's just still buggy. And you CAN get him down, but he won't be stunned unless you actually destroy the tree which is stupid. I like the hero a lot and have been waiting a long time for him but he's way too broken for me to respect him.

UI sucks in general, they just Reborn'd it and made 'sleek' 'modern' 'minimalist'. Loading screens, trashed. HUDS, trashed. Move everything for the sake of moving it.

The only things the HUD needs are:

a) Scalability
b) Attributes, KDA and CS/denies viewable at all times

I would say the HUD is a vast improvement since it is not the size of a fucking bus.

kasane

i dont like the UI

I GET HELla frame drops when i try to type. I dont like the info being on the side when i click on other heroes or creeps and its so fucking small

the ui is clean but theres so much going on

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
New lycan is very strong. I feel like you can just skip vlads now (because of feral impulse regen) and go straight treads --> necro1 --> echo saber --> necro3 --> BKB/armlet (depending on what u need) --> w/e. He's so strong that u can even just skip necrobook and go straight armlet, echo, bkb/heart for a fight oriented build.

Talents: damage --> 12 str --> 15% evasion --> shapeshift (wolves if you're stomping for the LULS or if ur losing and just relegated to being a rat).

He's probably going to get a few small nerfs, howl should probably just give 60/90/120/150 HP (if not less). Alternatively some of the talents could go down -- 10 str (down from 12), 15 damage (down from 20), shapeshift 12s (down from 15s).

He was already good with a hero like beastmaster last patch, but this patch he's extremely powerful with BM/chen cause you want an aura bot that will get vlads/hotd for your deathball. I feel like you don't want to waste gold or slots on these items on this new lycan, so it's perfect if someone on your team can get them for you and your team for the deathball.

The feral impulse regen changes up the laning skill build imo, and you should go for something like 2-3-3-1-3/1-3/1. This change gives lycan some renewed vigor in the midlane, makes him nearly impossible to aggro on in the safe lane, and also brings back offlane lycan from way back when. it's pretty godlike.

Sibylus

Banned
So despite the fact I'm on the Steam mobile authenticator, I can't gift partner the Dota 2 gifts I just bought her on the store... How long are they going to make me wait team?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Another win with Treant. I have a feeling he is going to be my jam. Both Treant games I've played I've had a Monkey King on my team and we won both based on a teamfight where we landed both our ultimates on top of the entire enemy team.

kasane

im not playing unless they fix the UI

theres no reason i should have massive frame drops on this game when chatting or someone getting killed

LiQuid!

im not playing unless they fix the UI

theres no reason i should have massive frame drops on this game when chatting or someone getting killed

One of my friends that I was playing with said there was some kind of weird frameyness or animation/particle effect bug that was making him incredibly motion sick. He found a thread about it on reddit.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Offlane even better despite the nerf to iron talon. Neutrals denying creeps give 20% more xp , blocking pull camps early is huge due to odd minute spawns which punishes poor lane control, early shrine to save a trip going back to base and possible bounty rune. Plus you lose less gold from dying while also giving less gold and xp if you feed and supports no longer able to throw all mana and health at you trying to zone you then suiciding to neutrals then tping back in 10 seconds to do it again.

kasane

One of my friends that I was playing with said there was some kind of weird frameyness or animation/particle effect bug that was making him incredibly motion sick. He found a thread about it on reddit.

whenever you try to chat and everything comes up frams drop profusely

I am running into a wall. I. Can't. Seem. To. Win.

I have (only?) put 272 hours into DOTA 2 over the years and I have a several friends who almost exclusively play DOTA. I would love to play and hang with them more; however, I can't seem to find any enjoyment in playing when I am the contributing factor to my team losing.

I get the strategic stuff... I think. I just always feel, I don't know, weak compared to other players.

Any advice for someone who would really like to get better? 7.00 has my friends really energized and I would like to share in the fun (especially because my least favorite part of DOTA is the toxicity that other people reek with; it is exhausting and the opposite of enjoyable)

kasane

I have (only?) put 272 hours into DOTA 2 over the years and I have a several friends who almost exclusively play DOTA. I would love to play and hang with them more; however, I can't seem to find any enjoyment in playing when I am the contributing factor to my team losing.

I get the strategic stuff... I think. I just always feel, I don't know, weak compared to other players.

Any advice for someone who would really like to get better? 7.00 has my friends really energized and I would like to share in the fun (especially because my least favorite part of DOTA is the toxicity that other people reek with; it is exhausting and the opposite of enjoyable)

honestly it would be easier way for us to give you advice if we could see replays or at the least your dotabuff stats. You say you feel weak it could be also the hero or role youre playing

I'd just like to say how refreshing this thread is now, with and without complaints. For the first time damn near all year, we have whole pages actually talking about the game and not anime and unrelated bullshit.

It's been awhile since we really had things worthwhile about dota 2 to talk about. Glad this can be a Dota 2 game thread again. For now, at least.

docbon

Probably mentioned already but these lich talents are hilarious.

+150 damage at level 20 and a +30% AS/MS Debuff on autoattack at 25 that also stacks with frost blast and Skadi? Some frustrated supports are going to dump their items in a landfill and go full Abduwali Muse by 50 minutes.

Probably mentioned already but these lich talents are hilarious.

+150 damage at level 20 and a +30% AS/MS Debuff on autoattack at 25 that also stacks with frost blast and Skadi? Some frustrated supports are going to dump their items in a landfill and go full Abduwali Muse by 50 minutes.

omg doing this shit tomorrow. Lich The Oppressor (tm)

Quesa

I'd just like to say how refreshing this thread is now, with and without complaints. For the first time damn near all year, we have whole pages actually talking about the game and not anime and unrelated bullshit.

It's been awhile since we really had things worthwhile about dota 2 to talk about. Glad this can be a Dota 2 game thread again. For now, at least.

It's like when they put out content we talk about it!

Excuse me, anime is a part of Dota.

Yeah the Lich talents look insane. Is it time for Lich mid to return? Win lane with Sacrifice, nuke opponent to death. Get XP advantage to easy Level 25.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

(I believe Blitz did something similar but way more specialized for storm mid matchups)
Start by breaking down the game into phases of time(harassment, stacking, rune control, gank rotation, warding, carry protection camping), then look at your play to identify in which of these phases you're weak at and work on them 1 by 1.
It's ok to be more broad in the beginning and become more granular the better you get.

The rut you want to build is nailing these phases execution wise down that you can get to the place where you can ask yourself every 10...5...1 second what decision to make instead of falling into the ruts where you just go along with the flow of the game.
You want to be the player that has influence on that and not just passively accepts it. Basically you want to understand these phases as strategic concepts of action in relation to how much time they take as well as strategic value at any given time.

Like stacking a camp while your team pushes as 4 mid no enemies are on the map? I'd say it most cases stacking a camp in that situation is a terrible idea given that your team is very likely to provoke a fight with that push. So stacking a camp becomes a less valuable strategic decision than getting a good position from which you can intervene if a fight happens. Or you want to gank mid when you hit level 3 vs harassing the offlaner. In this case the strategic value depending on hero composition might not be as clear cut. So in this case you want to be vaguely aware how long the mid gank could take so you have a feeling how much you're giving up. In most cases this would probably lead to the safelane losing roughly about ~1 - 2 wave of creeps vs the enemy mid kill if successful. Also if you understand the time bit you can plan more effectively, like doing the gank at min 4 when the rune spawns and nighttime hits.

Let me give you a few examples. You start laning phase as a support in the safelane.
That means the phases for you could/should be "harass the offlaner", "prepare the pull", "rotate on mid/offlane" or "stack a camp". Those are basically pretty much all your major strategical option that you have the very start(of course if you were to play roaming bounty it would be a bit different but let's stay with the geneal cases), pretty manageable right?

That mean you can now look at the execution of each phase you decided on and try to understand that as a small task. After that you can examine if that decision to commit to one of the phases was correct to begin with, etc.

Laning is a great place to learn with this method it's easy to apply because all in all laning is somewhat formulaic. It get's somewhat messy in mid game when suddenly the phases increase and phases can become team dependant("Warding important spot X", "Using a timing to push together", "Smoke gank", etc etc)

I hope I could somewhat show a way of thinking that gives some structure of how to improve. If you don't have an answer on the execution part it's always a good idea to watch players better than you. Also asking your friends with very specific question could nail good answers.
What this method should also ingrain is that you have a reason for everything you do. Players in lower brackets often don't, that's why they're incredibly inefficient.
They don't ask themselves why am I walking down there? What do I want to achieve by camping mid with 4 other people while 1 of them farms the wave passively.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah I cannot wait to try Lich mid. I wrecked an invoked mid a couple of weeks ago and snowballed out of control. Would be insane now with all that right clicking power!

Honestly, best answer is to ask your friends to teach you, and be patient while you screw up. 272 hours is not a lot - I'm guessing your friends might have 10 times that?

LiQuid!

Here's a thread on Reddit about headaches/motion sickness from playing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/5i1ats/700_gives_me_headache_every_game/

I'm honestly curious what this issue is or if we'll hear anything from Valve about it. 5 of the 6 of us that played today were totally fine only one guy had an issue but it was enough that he started to get queasy about 15 minutes into his first game and had to quit. There's no real good explanation or description of what's going on aside from sketchy FPS, which I did not encounter at all, and would low FPS actually cause headaches?? I've never heard of that before.

Shinypogs

xyzcpols cast is so good

I liked when he turned into radar from mash and could here the distant approach of helicopters which the chat obviously couldn't.

Xyclopz is one of the few people who when they go off topic or ramble it's always charming. YMMV of course.

Top Bottom