• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
That's actually the first thing I would have tried too. When you have lots of damage don't you want attack speed? Crits are an alternative too I guess...

Yeah, the attack speed wasn't the problem the fact that he went Midas first, still had brown boots (no treads, why?) when the game ended and then went MoM/Mjolnir first items meant he was super glass cannon.

edit: wooooooooow how did I miss hot Visage buffs? My beautiful bird boy is back on the come up! I haven't played him in a minute, I think it's time to dust him off.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wish they would enable an option to always show the K/D/A on the hero portrait just so when I am watching streamers.

Other than that the changes they have made the past day are much better, quite glad to have kills on the left again. Was super weird looking at the kills then having to look to the other side at the mini-map to see where they happened.

Got Agh's on Zeus yesterday and found it garbage. Perhaps we were too far behind but they just killed it like they would kill Tusk's E, except no slow to keep them off.

Fevaweva

edit: wooooooooow how did I miss hot Visage buffs? My beautiful bird boy is back on the come up! I haven't played him in a minute, I think it's time to dust him off.

I played Visage yesterday and he just doesn't die. We still lost, but I tanked just about everything the enemy team threw at me and shrugged it off. Plus the Gargoyles do SO much damage.

Updates coming thick and fast

There have been what, 14 updates since 7.00 dropped?

I'm not sure why you're surprised at that? 7.00 was a big patch, and Dota is a *COMPLICATED* game. Even just fixing the bugs introduced would probably have necessitated 5-6 patches, to say nothing of the updates they're adding to quell complaints about the HUD etc.

It's part of why I was so surprised that they were committing to patching the test client on Sunday so they could patch the main client on Monday. Somehow they agreed on burning their weekend, on top of the extra hours they knew they would be putting in to fix all the unforeseen shite that occurs.

Game development is hard.

elyetis

Not enough people play the test client for them to find bugs at a fast pace. Remember they did the same with Reborn.
Given the amount of bug found during this test phase, and how it meant a 13th release for a good part of the world, I disagree with this statement.

I don't really think it's comparable to Reborn, 7.00 was far more interesting to test than Reborn.

I'm not sure why you're surprised at that? 7.00 was a big patch, and Dota is a *COMPLICATED* game. Even just fixing the bugs introduced would probably have necessitated 5-6 patches, to say nothing of the updates they're adding to quell complaints about the HUD etc.

It's part of why I was so surprised that they were committing to patching the test client on Sunday so they could patch the main client on Monday. Somehow they agreed on burning their weekend, on top of the extra hours they knew they would be putting in to fix all the unforeseen shite that occurs.

Game development is hard.

Which is why the decision to forego a full and proper beta on the Test client is baffling. 1 day on the test client? The results are expected. The whole point of having a Test client is to shield players from the wealth of performance and literally game-crashing bugs that we've seen since Monday.

For reference sake, League's new client has been in its test area for like 4 months? Not that Dota 7.0 needed months of test client work, but the point is giving beta/test users time to find and sort as many bugs as reasonably possible before making it the official update patch is a thing for a reason. In every game ever. Elite Dangerous' beta test for a new balance pass is going into its second week with no shortage of feedback for and from their developers.

Game development IS hard. That's why taking time to make sure as many things as possible are right is standard practice. Blizzard has its PTR's. Riot has it's PBE's. Doto has its Test Client. Why they chose to barely use it this time is maybe a question for Cyborgmatt? Maybe they're about to go on vacation and just wanted to get it out so fuck it? Watching pro matches crash live on stream because of a Dark Seer Vacuum is disappointing because we all expect better of Valve.

RS4-

Yeah, the attack speed wasn't the problem the fact that he went Midas first, still had brown boots (no treads, why?) when the game ended and then went MoM/Mjolnir first items meant he was super glass cannon.

I played Visage yesterday and he just doesn't die. We still lost, but I tanked just about everything the enemy team threw at me and shrugged it off. Plus the Gargoyles do SO much damage.

When tabbing through units, is it possible not have the birds grouped? I want them cycled as if I was using different creeps like Chen/Ench.

I thought it was like that before when I played Vis, and then when I tried picking her up again, I got annoyed when I couldn't tab cycle to stun people and move the bird indiv. instead of pairs.

edit - nm, I know why. If I have Vis + birds selected, I can move as a group, but I have to tab for individual shit. Of course when nothing is selected, tab works fine too. Disregard my annoyance lol.

shira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMbiL8D6qX0
kunk-rum.gif

Who is mask of madness best on this patch? I feel like Luna is an easy candidate because you're probably not concerned about being unable to cast lucent beam for 8 seconds and the majority of her damage comes from auto attacks and glaves. She also would have a relatively high base armor as an agi carry. Sven would also be fairly good I think. If you pop off god strength and war cry you're not to worried about being silenced.

Quesa

They gave back ability level up hotkeys in a good form. I'm happy about that.

Still haven't given back my shop hotkeys though. Volvo pls.
rage.gif

I don't like having to use CTRL for it. I don't know why they removed the ability to map it to a single key. Heck, I would have been okay with being able to use ALT instead of CTRL. Also, I don't think they fixed the part where you can't map a key to leveling up the left or right talent using CTRL, right?

Who is mask of madness best on this patch? I feel like Luna is an easy candidate because you're probably not concerned about being unable to cast lucent beam for 8 seconds and the majority of her damage comes from auto attacks and glaves. She also would have a relatively high base armor as an agi carry. Sven would also be fairly good I think. If you pop off god strength and war cry you're not to worried about being silenced.

Ranged heroes? Luna, Sniper, Silencer, Clinkz, Medusa. All of these assume you use their major abilities *before* popping MoM. I think Razor could also be crazy with it assuming his tether remains active if cast before he pops MoM.

Melee? I'm thinking Bloodseeker, Wraith King, Carry Abaddon, Sven, Lone Druid Bear, Clockwerk.

Not the longest lists, but some eligible candidates.

Game development IS hard. That's why taking time to make sure as many things as possible are right is standard practice. Blizzard has its PTR's. Riot has it's PBE's. Doto has its Test Client. Why they chose to barely use it this time is maybe a question for Cyborgmatt? Maybe they're about to go on vacation and just wanted to get it out so fuck it? Watching pro matches crash live on stream because of a Dark Seer Vacuum is disappointing because we all expect better of Valve.

I actually wonder how much of this dog-headed insistence on patching on Sundays etc is IceFrog, or if it's specific to the Dota 2 team. I don't ever remember TF2 having updated on Sundays, for example. I don't play CS:GO so I have no idea if it has the same problems there too.

This actually reminds me of when they released Dota 2 Reborn live on a Sunday night I think. I remember commenting then too that I thought it was a dumb idea, and it turns out I was right: Dire Ancients auto-stacked themselves with that patch.

I actually wonder how much of this dog-headed insistence on patching on Sundays etc is IceFrog, or if it's specific to the Dota 2 team. I don't ever remember TF2 having updated on Sundays, for example. I don't play CS:GO so I have no idea if it has the same problems there too.

This actually reminds me of when they released Dota 2 Reborn live on a Sunday night I think. I remember commenting then too that I thought it was a dumb idea, and it turns out I was right: Dire Ancients auto-stacked themselves with that patch.

Good memory. You're right; TF2 never patched on Sunday. Not that I can ever recall, anyway.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Which is why the decision to forego a full and proper beta on the Test client is baffling. 1 day on the test client? The results are expected. The whole point of having a Test client is to shield players from the wealth of performance and literally game-crashing bugs that we've seen since Monday.

For reference sake, League's new client has been in its test area for like 4 months? Not that Dota 7.0 needed months of test client work, but the point is giving beta/test users time to find and sort as many bugs as reasonably possible before making it the official update patch is a thing for a reason. In every game ever. Elite Dangerous' beta test for a new balance pass is going into its second week with no shortage of feedback for and from their developers.

Think about the reddit shitstorm that would have ensued if this patch didn't go live before all the kiddies got their Xmas break from school. I imagine it was a combination of time crunch and the fact that there ain't jack shit for officials going on for the next few weeks that they figured they could just throw it out the door and let us all public beta test it. Remember the month or so after Reborn first launched? This is the same shit. Maybe less hard crash bugs last time, but nearly the same level of "fuck, this shit's broken.."

Twookie

So my HUD looks like this at the moment, what the hell.
facepalm.gif

edit: to fix it I have to force my game to render 16:9.

any custom hud looks like that to me :(

just using the regular fixes it, which looks alright I guess

still sad that my favorite skin (Scions of the Sky) looks awful

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
any custom hud looks like that to me :(

just using the regular fixes it, which looks alright I guess

still sad that my favorite skin (Scions of the Sky) looks awful
Cheers. I have all my HUDs on shuffle and tbh I did not even notice it was a custom HUD lol. The difference is so minor.
Wonder what my shagbark one looks like now.

Hylian7

yes. heals would be kinda broken with spell amp since its pure i think

It's only damage, but it amps pure damage too. When it says "Spell damage", it's everything that isn't physical attacks. Physical spells (such as Slithereen Crush) are considered "spell damage" too.

Hylian7

two bear put a sentry ward down earlier and it crashed the game for everyone in the vicinity

I remember in a patch a while back, when they introduced the gold effigies, I was playing with someone (I think it was Ties), and she had the black gold effigy and made it of Broodmother. If you clicked on it it crashed the game.

I decided to test it and said "Click on the Broodmother effigy in our base" in chat.

8 people disconnected. Game was over.

Kopite

Tryed the new MOM on Luna and went 17-2 with it,
5PgeuoX.gif

Only downsides are it doesn't build into Satanic(And can't be disassembled) and Lucent Beam is slightly less spammable.

Hylian7

I feel like it went under the radar that Helm of the Dominator no longer provides lifesteal, leaving your options for that casual Morbid Mask, MoM, Vlads, or going all the way for Satanic.

Artanisix

I think PL might be super sick this patch but i need to test it, just been trying a random smattering of heroes so far.

Sniper aghs is nice
Visage is good
Carry Lich owns
New Techies owns
Alchemist feels significantly weaker
New Necro feels good

Twookie

I feel like it went under the radar that Helm of the Dominator no longer provides lifesteal, leaving your options for that casual Morbid Mask, MoM, Vlads, or going all the way for Satanic.

feels like a support item only/mostly now for the most part to me, I have to see how people use this item to see where HotD ends up being used the most.

also some heroes get lifesteal with talents now so they probably don't have to buy lifesteal items

Hylian7

feels like a support item only/mostly now for the most part to me, I have to see how people use this item to see where HotD ends up being used the most.

Yeah, it's going to change that item's place in the game for sure. Either an item for other roles or a stepping stone to Satanic.

Edit: You're right, forgot about the Lifesteal talents. Still, that's not everyone, Luna is an example of one that doesn't that typically bought HotD before.

Acinixys

HoD does what now

That explains why the buildup for Satanic is so shit now

Twookie

HD gives stats, a cool HP Aura, and Dominate. Thats it.

hotd also provides 10 attack speed and the aura does also provide 10 attack speed tsk tsk
clock-eyebrow.gif

Yeah, it's going to change that item's place in the game for sure. Either an item for other roles or a stepping stone to Satanic.

Edit: You're right, forgot about the Lifesteal talents. Still, that's not everyone, Luna is an example of one that doesn't that typically bought HotD before.

Luna can use MoM, seems very legit to me. But yeah the new buildup for satanic now is pretty ass

Top Bottom