• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

shira

QPPyG6k.jpg

Format is double elimination
- Bo5 Grand Final
- Bo3 all Upper Bracket
- Bo1 elimination all Lower Bracket (lul)

Day 1 (RED)
- four matches
- one team eliminated

t1484902800z1.png

1. VP vs Elements (Bo3)

t1484913600z1.png

2. OG vs iG (Bo3)

t1484924400z1.png

3. Loser1 vs Loser2 (Bo1 elimination)

t1484928000z1.png

4. Winner1 vs Winner2 (Bo3)

Also the DAC regional qualifiers are right after Chinese New Year with each region having an 8 team GSL into double elimination bracket February 3-13

BHK3

Banned
Crazy how cancerous Shadow Demon is, he doesn't even need Luna to win games, the damage amp and disruption is enough. But a SD + Luna being a teams last two picks means a auto win for them once luna gets her two stat items Dragon Lance + Yasha. Everytime I pick Lion in advance and they do their dumb luna shit I always win but I dont want to play lion hard support 5 every fucking game. Illusions didnt get nerfed at all, pitiful gold and not every hero has good talents to go up against +20 spell amp and shit at low levels...

shira

so is the banned smash and his team playing?

Smash is only banned from Valve events, so probably

With TI7 being in August it's probably a tournament for the popular non TI7 qualified teams like Cloud9, Navi, Alliance, Complexity.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Hey double bear man I think you should know someone called tusr daddy and he let it happen. Wanted to bring this to you as a friend, I'm sorry.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
do you still need to verify your account and wait a week in order to sell items on the market

afaik you also need to use the mobile authenticator to confirm it otherwise it takes 14 days for the item to go on sale on the market place as well.

Gaaraz

Really screwed up a game yesterday, I was Necrophos up against a Venomancer and died a couple of times. The rest of our team did well, and I recovered - we went from a seemingly winning position to getting absolutely destroyed in a team wipe, and then Venomancer and Terrorblade took down our towers and base before any of us could respawn.

Question is - they both had Manta Style which massively turned the battle, there were illusions everywhere and we couldn't cope with them, nor did I know who to focus with my ulti. I was saving for Radiance, but should I have sold my blink dagger/aghs/mek in order to buy a sheep stick and get rid of the illusions?

M.D

afaik you also need to use the mobile authenticator to confirm it otherwise it takes 14 days for the item to go on sale on the market place as well.

who wants to buy my morphling shotgun

meet me in the corner

Lul dota shit lul 85 minute delay lul

pretty sure renting that venue + paycheck for hosts/analysts + expenses for all the teams > their prize pool

kionedrik

Really screwed up a game yesterday, I was Necrophos up against a Venomancer and died a couple of times. The rest of our team did well, and I recovered - we went from a seemingly winning position to getting absolutely destroyed in a team wipe, and then Venomancer and Terrorblade took down our towers and base before any of us could respawn.

Question is - they both had Manta Style which massively turned the battle, there were illusions everywhere and we couldn't cope with them, nor did I know who to focus with my ulti. I was saving for Radiance, but should I have sold my blink dagger/aghs/mek in order to buy a sheep stick and get rid of the illusions?

You don't get sheep stick to get rid of illusions, you get it to lock the enemy down and nuke him before he can BKB. The fact that it insta kills illusions is a nice bonus but not what would've turned to game in your favor.
Against massive illusion armies it's almost mandatory for a right-clicker to buy a Mjollnir. Heroes-wise, having a Lion or Shaker also help a lot.

Gaaraz

Ah I see, thank you! Here's a question though since I've never used it: Let's say there are currently 4 Terrorblade's and 3 Venomancers, if I use sheep stick on one of Terrorblade's illusions:

1) Does it get rid of all of his illusions, and Venomancers too that are within close proximity?

2) Even though I used it on an illusion, will the real Terrorblade get turned into a sheep as all of the other illusions disappear?

You're right that Mjollnir would've been perfect for our carries by the way, our Arc Warden had a Malestrom but wasn't very fed so had little impact, otherwise we had a Lifestealer, a Necrophos (me), a Pudge and a Spirit Breaker - I guess only Lifestealer could've got a Mjollnir from that lineup.

Twookie

Ah I see, thank you! Here's a question though since I've never used it: Let's say there are currently 4 Terrorblade's and 3 Venomancers, if I use sheep stick on one of Terrorblade's illusions:

1) Does it get rid of all of his illusions, and Venomancers too that are within close proximity?

2) Even though I used it on an illusion, will the real Terrorblade get turned into a sheep as all of the other illusions disappear?

You're right that Mjollnir would've been perfect for our carries by the way, our Arc Warden had a Malestrom but wasn't very fed so had little impact, otherwise we had a Lifestealer, a Necrophos (me), a Pudge and a Spirit Breaker - I guess only Lifestealer could've got a Mjollnir from that lineup.

No on both. If you sheepstick one illusion, it gets destroyed and that's it. You basically wasted its CD.

Gaaraz

Oh wow, thank you. I would've totally nerfed my hero by selling those items then and I'd still be in the same position as before, desperately trying to figure out which was the real one!

Oh wow, thank you. I would've totally nerfed my hero by selling those items then and I'd still be in the same position as before, desperately trying to figure out which was the real one!

Usually with a sheep you want to just wait. the tankiest one is the real one, but your team has to deal enough damage to him to make that clear.

CPCunha

...so, i've had a number of shitty games the last few days...seems like i can't get into a match without a jackass ruining the fun be it by feeding on purpose (walking to a couple of enemies and all-chat "kill me") or by super weird high ping players. So i've decided to look through updates and there it is... jan 13th update:

"- Matchmaking now considers geographical distance when finding players for your team."

Welp. I live in Brazil and have always played on US East servers. I guess that matchmaking thing renders the server options kinda obsolete. Anyone out there experiencing this crap? Is there a way around this? 10+ years of TF2 taught me an important lesson on general online conduct and general Brazilian player behavior.

kionedrik

If you sheepstick an illusion you insta-kill that illusion. All the other illusion remain as well as the hero.
If you sheep an hero you turn him into an animal (frog or fish if you use Lion's Hex, chicken if you use Shaman's Hex or pig if you use the item). All his illusions remain.

welp... all the others already answered your question.

Gaaraz

Very interesting, thanks guys. It's hell of a lot of money to spend for someone like me then, who is very prone to using my abilities on illusions by accident :D Or worse, just panicking when I'm up against lots of illusions and dying without really doing anything.

The sad thing is, I was building radiance and very close to it before we got wiped - if I had it, it probably would've been a huge help with the illusions, plus it's passive and wouldn't have required me to do much other than focus on staying alive (and keeping myself alive) - not to mention it'd make it easier to identify illusions based on their health drain.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Who the fuck is Frodo and why is he on this awful panel?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

If you're necrophos, then death pulse and ghost shroud seem like they'd be quite good, because the only thing that illusions can do to you through ghost shroud is radiance damage if they happen to have it, and death pulse should do a significant amount of damage to them.

Zafir

...so, i've had a number of shitty games the last few days...seems like i can't get into a match without a jackass ruining the fun be it by feeding on purpose (walking to a couple of enemies and all-chat "kill me") or by super weird high ping players. So i've decided to look through updates and there it is... jan 13th update:

"- Matchmaking now considers geographical distance when finding players for your team."

Welp. I live in Brazil and have always played on US East servers. I guess that matchmaking thing renders the server options kinda obsolete. Anyone out there experiencing this crap? Is there a way around this? 10+ years of TF2 taught me an important lesson on general online conduct and general Brazilian player behavior.

I've not noticed any difference, honestly.

My games are still +/- 40% Russians on EU West, despite the fact I'm in the UK, which is no where close.

That said, I really don't care about being put them that much. I just wish non-English speakers wouldn't assume everyone speaks their language. It's even more irritating over voice coms where I basically have to just mute them because I don't want to listen to a bombardment of incomprehensible gibberish - apparently they don't realise there's an option to just talk to your party. That said it's not even just when they're in a group, I've had many a game where everyone is solo, and you'll still have these random guys speaking Russian and even after many other people in the game saying we don't understand, they still keep doing it!

The majority of Russians (or ex-Soviets rather, because how am I supposed to tell which exact country these players are from) I queued with spoke easily sufficient English to have a good enough game of Dota with. I visited my GF's family in 1st world country France last May and couldn't communicate without her help at all despite the education in that country supposedly being levels ahead of Russia. Speaking English (outside of being a native speaker) is a privilege and slamming those who don't is condescending and typical of western arrogance.

Overall, communiciation on EUW servers is pretty good all things considered.

Red UFO

Very interesting, thanks guys. It's hell of a lot of money to spend for someone like me then, who is very prone to using my abilities on illusions by accident :D Or worse, just panicking when I'm up against lots of illusions and dying without really doing anything.

The sad thing is, I was building radiance and very close to it before we got wiped - if I had it, it probably would've been a huge help with the illusions, plus it's passive and wouldn't have required me to do much other than focus on staying alive (and keeping myself alive) - not to mention it'd make it easier to identify illusions based on their health drain.
Shiva's Guard is very good at controlling illusions and spotting the real one, the armour aura is also good to reduce their damage output. Would have been a better fit for you in your situation.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
The majority of Russians (or ex-Soviets rather, because how am I supposed to tell which exact country these players are from) I queued with spoke easily sufficient English to have a good enough game of Dota with. I visited my GF's family in 1st world country France last May and couldn't communicate without her help at all despite the education in that country supposedly being levels ahead of Russia. Speaking English (outside of being a native speaker) is a privilege and slamming those who don't is condescending and typical of western arrogance.

It actually always amazes me that when I get matched with people and they start speaking to each other in French/Spanish/German if I ask nicely asking if they could speak English so we can co-ordinate they just instantly switch to perfect English for the rest of the game.

Makes me feel bad because as an English pleb I only speak English :( I really regret not keeping up my Spanish and French lessons.

kionedrik

There's a EU East and a Russia server for those "unprivileged" people with a computer and internet connection that are unable to speak english.

Red UFO

I actually think that communication is way down on the list of things to worry about when solo queuing, top of list being focusing on yourself and reducing the number of mistakes you make. Pretty sure people just point to "they don't speak English!!!" When they kinda just fucking suck themselves.

yarden24

The way to find the real hero is aoe damage, since illusions take more damage heroes the one PL that is at th highesr HP after an aoe attack is thr real one

I actually think that communication is way down on the list of things to worry about when solo queuing, top of list being focusing on yourself and reducing the number of mistakes you make. Pretty sure people just point to "they don't speak English!!!" When they kinda just fucking suck themselves.

it can be a top priority because it will make games more enjoyable,I would certainly enjoy the games more if I could communicate with my team and decide on a strategy, pings and shit work but certainly not as well.

elyetis

There's a EU East and a Russia server for those "unprivileged" people with a computer and internet connection that are unable to speak english.
It's not about being able to speak english to pick EU East. If you don't speak english but you and your computer are in EU East... pick EU East, but don't make everyone else mute you by speaking something none of them understand. If you are with a friend, use a com for your group only, everyone else already know you'r not from EUW by your avatar of a half naked woman anyway, no need to prove it with your chat.

I would assume people queue on servers they don't speak the language in because their priority lies in having short queuing times over being able to communicate with everyone. Assuming their queuing pattern is consistent, they managed to climb to your MMR range despite a language (and possibly ping) disadvantage. Meaning that what they lack in communication skills they make up with something else (map awareness, mechanics, whatever). MMR has proven accurate over and over and over again, there can only be little debate. A different language is just easier to spot than poor map awareness and thus the first thing to blame a loss on.

As long as MMR remains the legitimate indicator of skill it currently is, I am confident in discarding any theory that foreigners shit up anyone's games to the point where you end up in a lower bracket than you should. That makes no sense and is simply a modern form of Othering. If two players on EUW are 4k, one with good English skills, the other with none, it is fair to assume that both are similarly good, however one player accomplished his 4k MMR in a different way (including communication presumably) than the other.

If you can't handle that, I'm afraid online games aren't for you. English is no requirement, albeit more than useful, to play on EUW and I find the elitism of those, who do speak it and expect everyone in other countries to be as educated as oneself, repulsive.

Red UFO

it can be a top priority because it will make games more enjoyable,I would certainly enjoy the games more if I could communicate with my team and decide on a strategy, pings and shit work but certainly not as well.
In terms of enjoyment then yes absolutely, but lets be honest, reddit isn't asking for English speakers only for a higher quality game, they're asking for them because the pesky Peruvian menace is preventing them from reaching 5k mmr.

kionedrik

It's not about being able to speak english to pick EU East. If you don't speak english but you and your computer are in EU East... pick EU East, but don't make everyone else mute you by speaking something none of them understand. If you are with a friend, use a com for your group only, everyone else already know you'r not from EUW by your avatar of a half naked woman anyway, no need to prove it with your chat.

My reply was a bit sarcastic but that's the gist of it. Basically if you want to use your mother language play where your more likely to find people that will understand you. In this specific case, russian (and similar) speaking player should use the EUE or RUS servers.
If, by any reason, they are intent on playing in EUW, then either be silent or have the decency to communicate in english, even if it is barely comprehensible.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
In terms of enjoyment then yes absolutely, but lets be honest, reddit isn't asking for English speakers only for a higher quality game, they're asking for them because the pesky Peruvian menace is preventing them from reaching 5k mmr.

that's tea...........you're just as likely to run into some cantankerous cunt who flames you all game and wont play with the team irrespective of whether they're speaking your language or not.

Zafir

Oh, I specified non-English for a reason in my post for a reason. :p It isn't just Russians. The only reason I see it happen more with Russian is probably just down to population of Russians in comparison to every other European language.

Top Bottom