• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Ketch

day9 and purge are going to do their Dota2 content thing tomorrow ^_^

hype af

linkers

I hope day 9 takes it relatively seriously, he has the potential to be a beast but I think he'll mostly just play up the lols and the whole series will be a less funny version of purge coaching slacks.

rac

Banned
GOD DAMN IT RAC

george-michael.gif

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yeah GitS looks good. Hopefully they take all the boring shit out so it's just a dumb good looking action movie.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Almost did as much healing as I did damage as Slark (and no, it's not an even slightly impressive amount of healing btw) https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2922363015

You shouldn't really be building Mek on Slark. You don't need it yourself (because of the passive effect of your ult, which makes the passive regen of Mek pointless, and because the stats are pretty negligible) and it costs 2k gold that would be much more usefully spent on other items.

Gaaraz

You shouldn't really be building Mek on Slark. You don't need it yourself (because of the passive effect of your ult, which makes the passive regen of Mek pointless, and because the stats are pretty negligible) and it costs 2k gold that would be much more usefully spent on other items.
Thanks, yeah you're right, it was an awful pick! We were kinda messing about, I was attempting to do the all hero challenge with Slark and failed miserably when trying to play him properly, so figured I'd just try to support with wards and mek and let the people who know how to carry do their thing :D (I was in lane with Monkey King)

bkb linkens basher/abysaal moonshard skadi mkb
These sound like great items for Slark, thanks! I'll make a note in case I play with him again :)

Airan

BKB needs to give +80 damage or something. It's the only way carries in my bracket will buy it. Being rooted by Underlord every teamfight isn't enough incentive it seems.

Also is it me or is Underlord ridiculously good atm? -40% base dmg aura seems a bit much.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Thanks, yeah you're right, it was an awful pick! We were kinda messing about, I was attempting to do the all hero challenge with Slark and failed miserably when trying to play him properly, so figured I'd just try to support with wards and mek and let the people who know how to carry do their thing :D (I was in lane with Monkey King)

These sound like great items for Slark, thanks! I'll make a note in case I play with him again :)
Slark is extremely fun to play when you play him properly. In the early game you basically burst supports down with magic damage from W and Q and use ult to avoid return fire. Mid game you spend your time weaving in and out of fights to regen and get your stacks of essence shift up so that you can dick on the enemy carry. And then in the late game you force them into fights more quickly than they can recover and evaporate their lineup with 30+ essence shift stacks.

Iconic hero a tad.

Gaaraz

BKB needs to give +80 damage or something. It's the only way carries in my bracket will buy it. Being rooted by Underlord every teamfight isn't enough incentive it seems.

Also is it me or is Underlord ridiculously good atm? -40% base dmg aura seems a bit much.
Wow, I didn't realise Underlord had a -40% base damage aura, that's pretty huge. I might encourage someone to play Underlord alongside me because I think with Necro's heals and Underlord's aura, it'd make us very different to kill in team fights.

Slark is extremely fun to play when you play him properly. In the early game you basically burst supports down with magic damage from W and Q and use ult to avoid return fire. Mid game you spend your time weaving in and out of fights to regen and get your stacks of essence shift up so that you can dick on the enemy carry. And then in the late game you force them into fights more quickly than they can recover and evaporate their lineup with 30+ essence shift stacks.
Thanks, this sounds great, and confirms my suspicion that I was playing Slark all wrong :D I'll give it another go, because this sounds like it'd be very effective, and a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, this sounds great, and confirms my suspicion that I was playing Slark all wrong :D I'll give it another go, because this sounds like it'd be very effective, and a lot of fun.

A time consuming but very effective way of learning new heroes is to use DotaMastery.io to find high mmr matches to watch or to at least glance at their items. Folow the DotaBuff link and copy & paste the match ID under the watch tab in the main client. If you want some extra cringe you can watch a high level player from whatever hero's perspective and then watch your own replay right after, taking notes and comparing the two games. It's a lot of time to spend upfront but it's certainly more efficient than putting in dozens of games otherwise.

Gaaraz

A time consuming but very effective way of learning new heroes is to use DotaMastery.io to find high mmr matches to watch or to at least glance at their items. Folow the DotaBuff link and copy & paste the match ID under the watch tab in the main client. If you want some extra cringe you can watch a high level player from whatever hero's perspective and then watch your own replay right after, taking notes and comparing the two games. It's a lot of time to spend upfront but it's certainly more efficient than putting in dozens of games otherwise.
Thanks! Sorry if I'm being stupid, but how do I actually watch the replays? It just takes me to the dotabuff page for a particular match.

One thing to remember about slark is that all of his instant cast abilities are disabled by root
Good to know, thanks! I think it's good that root (and as a result things like Rod of Atos) got a buff in this patch.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
One thing to remember about slark is that all of his instant cast abilities are disabled by root

My only Slark game in recent memory the other team had a Maiden support and she was fucking my shit up all game. Was this root stuff a 7.0 change? I don't remember her being such a pain in the dick before.

Airan

Wow, I didn't realise Underlord had a -40% base damage aura, that's pretty huge. I might encourage someone to play Underlord alongside me because I think with Necro's heals and Underlord's aura, it'd make us very different to kill in team fights.

Yep, even at 1 pt it's -20% which means your offlaning will be so easy, unless they have heavy magic burst. Once you get your items you are nigh-on unkillable. Cripples stat carries like right-click Morph.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! Sorry if I'm being stupid, but how do I actually watch the replays? It just takes me to the dotabuff page for a particular match.
On the DotaBuff page there should be a long string of numbers near the top left of the page. That's the match ID. Copy that number and open the main client. Under the watch tab you should see a section titled replays with a search bar where you can paste the match ID you copied earlier. Once you're in the replay you can choose to watch the game from whatever player's perspective seeing their camera movement and even where their cursor is on screen.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
With weekly coaching from Purge, great mechanics, a little motivation and considering his obvious ability to break apart and understand a complicated game at a higher level I wouldn't be surprised to see Day9 shoot up to 5k in a year, 4k minimum, with ~ 60% winrate. That's still hundreds of matches to play but definitely doable since Dota is now part of his job and he can easily justify the time sink.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
With weekly coaching from Purge, great mechanics, a little motivation and considering his obvious ability to break apart and understand a complicated game at a higher level I wouldn't be surprised to see Day9 shoot up to 5k in a year, 4k minimum, with ~ 60% winrate. That's still hundreds of matches to play but definitely doable since Dota is now part of his job and he can easily justify the time sink.

Except he's sort of awful at all things not starcraft. Took him like 2 years to get legend in hs right? I like the guy but watching any of his not-starcraft content has always been painful for me.

Except he's sort of awful at all things not starcraft. Took him like 2 years to get legend in hs right? I like the guy but watching any of his not-starcraft content has always been painful for me.

He only made like three dedicated legend attempts and the one he really meant it he got it in a couple weeks.

He's not horrible at stuff, especially with a coach.

yarden24

Mid 3k by years end unless he spams specific heros to raise mmr or plays a crazy amount of hours is my bet

The purge day9 video was disappointing
Only Watched like 30 minutes of them watching replay clips then I got too bored
Would be better if purge was coaching in game, live with day9.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Day9 having his mind blown so often in Day9 learns dota is the best thing.
Crazy thing is I believe he will actually put all that stuff to use. He's going to improve pretty fast I think(well comparatively to most people that stagnate a lot).

Top Bottom