• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Acinixys

Would it make sense to have some condition (other than Alchemist) that allows aghs to stop taking up an inventory space? Like maybe if you buy a special upgrade (like BoT's level 2) that moves it to the buff slot and frees the inventory slot back up. Even if it costs as much as just buying a 2nd Aghs. Reason I wonder is cause I keep seeing all these new Aghs upgrades for core heroes that nobody in their right mind would ever buy because the item slot is so much more valuable than whatever the effect is (like the useless new Medusa Aghs). If there was a way to pay for it to not take a slot at least these things might find some use in super late games where cores are normally 6 slotted. It would still be rare to see cause the game seems to be getting faster and faster lately, but I think seeing a Medusa spend 8k on a buff-slotted Aghs in a 60 minute game would be way way less rare than seeing one ever purchased for 4k and having it use up a valuable item slot.

Is this crazy talk?

What if they make Aghs a consumable ala Moon Shard

So you can keep it in your inventory during the mid game for the stats, but consume it late game for the slots

A hero like Silencer will never want aghs wasting a slot late game, but would love it as a buff

Maybe make it so that you only get +5 all stats on a consumed Aghs, vs the +10 stats and + 175 HP/Mana you get when its in your inventory

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
There must be at least a dozen Aghs upgrades in Dota 2 right now that I have no clue exists and wouldn't even know them if I see them. I saw Tidehunder shoot some sort of fucking water cannon a couple weeks and I thought someone had some kind of taunt active. It's a crime that changing something so fundamental as hero abilities is tethered to an otherwise useless item.

So you can keep it in your inventory during the mid game for the stats, but consume it late game for the slots

A hero like Silencer will never want aghs wasting a slot late game, but would love it as a buff

Maybe make it so that you only get +5 all stats on a consumed Aghs, vs the +10 stats and + 175 you get when its in your inventory

Considered that, but honestly just making it consumable might not be enough of a cost for heroes that already buy it as a core item. Making the "consumption" of one cost a boatload of money would mean it's pretty strictly only going to be done by core heroes that have lots of farm and need inventory slots.

inkls

Heck, even when they added backpack they made it clear it wasn't to be 9 slotted with the 6 sec cd. Aghs should not be a "I'm 6-slotted time to get rid of the extra gold buy buying moonshard/aghs" item.

There must be at least a dozen Aghs upgrades in Dota 2 right now that I have no clue exists and wouldn't even know them if I see them. I saw Tidehunder shoot some sort of fucking water cannon a couple weeks and I thought someone had some kind of taunt active. It's a crime that changing something so fundamental as hero abilities is tethered to an otherwise useless item.

Thats kind of the point? Why would you not get an aghs if on top of the extra to your ability(ies) it gave insanely good stats? Its like bkb gives shitty stats because the active is so good. Thats how items are balanced.

Maybe make it so that you only get +5 all stats and + 100 HP and Mana on a consumed Aghs, vs the +10 stats and + 175 you get when its in your inventory

What if you got none of the stats from the Aghs, but you got the special effect/affix.

Seems fair and something you'd really only do in the ultra-late game when those stats are expendable.

Acinixys

What if you got none of the stats from the Aghs, but you got the special effect/affix.

Seems fair and something you'd really only do in the ultra-late game when those stats are expendable.

Yeah

I just edited my post to this effect

Lose the stats but keep the effect

Would give lategame carries and supports more options and make late game decision making a little more complex

Eat Aghs and buy Sheepstick, or keep the gold and save for buy back

inkls

But you don't get aghs for stats. You get it for the ability upgrade. So if you didn't get stats and just the ability upgrade it would still be too good because it freed up an inventory slot.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Thats kind of the point? Why would you not get an aghs if on top of the extra to your ability(ies) it gave insanely good stats? Its like bkb gives shitty stats because the active is so good. Thats how items are balanced.

I know that's the point and on paper it makes sense, but as I said, in practice it leads to a lot of Aghs upgrades that might as well just not even exist because there's no way whatever effect they have is worth losing the item slot. It's not really about the "stats" for a core hero.

She's pretty easy to jump mid though. Most of the time having a single support rotate and she's dead.

no doubt. she's just pretty easy to jump in general (good gusts notwithstanding), no matter where she lines up. I guess the essential points are (a) she needs help to make sure she gets to level 6 safely and (b) she needs to get to level 6 as quickly as possible.

whatever lane and support combination or situation needed to make that happen is what's needed. if she can do that better from safe lane, cool. mid lane, cool. offlane, cool. just as long as she's not by herself with nothing to stop a diving clock and spirit breaker, you know? (and if you picked drow into sb and clock, you did it wrong anyway lol)

LiQuid!

But you don't get aghs for stats. You get it for the ability upgrade. So if you didn't get stats and just the ability upgrade it would still be too good because it freed up an inventory slot.

But do you at least agree that a lot of Aghs ability upgrades right now aren't worth the loss of a slot? Do you think this is more true for a core who needs actual powerful items to carry late game?

Do you see Medusa's new 1 second stone snake ever being worth one of her 6 item slots?

inkls

no doubt. she's just pretty easy to jump in general (good gusts notwithstanding), no matter where she lines up. I guess the essential points are (a) she needs help to make sure she gets to level 6 safely and (b) she needs to get to level 6 as quickly as possible.

whatever lane and support combination or situation needed to make that happen is what's needed. if she can do that better from safe lane, cool. mid lane, cool. offlane, cool. just as long as she's not by herself with nothing to stop a diving clock and spirit breaker, you know? (and if you picked drow into sb and clock, you did it wrong anyway lol)

Yeah, I don't think she's bad mid, but just vulnerable which isn't exactly something uncommon in the lane.

I know that's the point and on paper it makes sense, but as I said, in practice it leads to a lot of Aghs upgrades that might as well just not even exist because there's no way whatever effect they have is worth losing the item slot. It's not really about the "stats" for a core hero.

But dota is an ever-evolving game. Aghs get changed/reworked/etc. Every patch should make this obvious. But the other important aspect is that aghs should not be a core item on every hero.

I've playing around with tide aghs, its pretty fun when paired with octarine for depush, but doesn't mean I think you should buy it every game.

Tesla drow exists, but not every game is tesla drow. Some heroes have it as core, but doesn't mean it should be like that for every hero.

Storm with a passive aghs would be insane. Part of the reason its not gotten every game is how situational it is with all the other items you want, but having it just like that on top of mana regen items and sheepstick? That would be just insane.

But do you at least agree that a lot of Aghs ability upgrades right now aren't worth the loss of a slot? Do you think this is more true for a core who needs actual powerful items to carry late game?

Do you see Medusa's new 1 second stone snake ever being worth one of her 6 item slots?

Like I said:

dota is an ever-evolving game. Aghs get changed/reworked/etc. Every patch should make this obvious. But the other important aspect is that aghs should not be a core item on every hero.

I'm pretty sure the reason some abilities get buffed as hard by aghs is because of the stats the item gives paired with it taking up a slot.

Drow is better mid. She needs level 6 more than maybe any other carry other than Slark. Safe lane is fine as long as she is protected long enough to get 6 without much issue, quickly. The sooner she gets to 6, the sooner she can pressure towers, rotate and move to the jungle, giving supports the lane for their leveling.

AQ --> Treads --> Dragon Lance --> whatever you want

You could go fast pike, maelstrom (later to combine with aghs for maximum clear speeds), shadow blade (for picking off and ratting), yasha (later into manta), deso. whatever you think will help you push and fight during the midgame. Your 3rd item should probably be BKB; 4th at the latest. Then whatever you think you need after that. MKB? Daed? Bfly? Skadi? Satanic? AC? Silver Edge? She's a build-a-bear these days.

Just look at what the enemy team wants or needs to do to win and pick your itemization accordingly.

Note: if you're dealing with an illusion carry like TB or PL or Naga, expect to go maelstrom + aghs. If the enemy team has multiple blink dagger buyers, expect to get a BKB earlier than you'd like. If they have some shit like Bristle, expect to get a Silver Edge.

Yeah this makes sense. Gonna be fun to try it out.

She's pretty easy to jump mid though. Most of the time having a single support rotate and she's dead.

Yeah but in my trench MMR there are no mid ganks haha. Which is why I feel Drow is gonna be fun mid.

Heck my last ranked match the other team had a Jungle Legion we killed at Rune at minute 0, then later she blinked on me with Blink and Iron Talon only and I just stunned her as Slardar and walked away laughing.

I'd like to try her aghs, actually. There are certain enemies and strats that are really hard for Medusa lineups to deal with. Specifically split pushing lineups because of her slow movespeed. I've had to do things like buy blink daggers to continue chasnig mobiel targets. A 1-second hard disable on a 4 or 5 second cooldown would be pretty sick for her.

inkls

Yeah this makes sense. Gonna be fun to try it out.

Yeah but in my trench MMR there are no mid ganks haha. Which is why I feel Drow is gonna be fun mid.

Heck my last ranked match the other team had a Jungle Legion we killed at Rune at minute 0, then later she blinked on me with Blink and Iron Talon only and I just stunned her as Slardar and walked away laughing.

Heh, glhf with it then.

I'd like to try her aghs, actually. There are certain enemies and strats that are really hard for Medusa lineups to deal with. Specifically split pushing lineups because of her slow movespeed. I've had to do things like buy blink daggers to continue chasnig mobiel targets. A 1-second hard disable on a 4 or 5 second cooldown would be pretty sick for her.

Also, if it applies the stun for stone gaze, does it means that your rightclick is amp'd by 50% on them and instakills illusions? If that's the case then I think it could be pretty strong.

edit: OH AND DOES IT WORK WITH THE +2 seconds stone gaze stun level 25 talent?

Hylian7

I'm pretty sure the reason some abilities get buffed as hard by aghs is because of the stats the item gives paired with it taking up a slot.
To piggyback on this, we get new items frequently and are at the point where we need the backpack, and as more items become important on heroes, Aghs might suddenly become more of a choice on heroes that used to get it almost every game.

This is also why you see Aghs upgrades becoming their own special thing rather than "level 4 ultimate". Hell I don't even know why they still call the ability Aghs provides "ultimate upgrade", as many Aghs out there don't even mess with Ults.

shira

1437 doin a Jimmy - NP.Rose -> TNC.Rose
C_8jtGSVwAANjxq.jpg:large
Wat

inkls

Ok so someone tested it. And Dusa aghs stun duration is not affected by the +2 sec talent at 25, but it does behave like the stun for ult so her mystic snakes will instagib illusions.

Might be interesting to you dreams

Medusa had that ability on her snake during the new moon event. It had a longer duration but i remember hating it so much. I would get a perfect disruptor ult + wall and then the snake would come in and fuck everything up.

Medusa had that ability on her snake during the new moon event. It had a longer duration but i remember hating it so much. I would get a perfect disruptor ult + wall and then the snake would come in and fuck everything up.

haha I must try this.

Ok so someone tested it. And Dusa aghs stun duration is not affected by the +2 sec talent at 25, but it does behave like the stun for ult so her mystic snakes will instagib illusions.

Might be interesting to you dreams

interesting. the biggest challenge for me will be remembering that it is an option for her at all.

yagal

This made me think, what is your favourite player gaf? I'd give akke a shout though( still thinking), but I do appreciate a player like akke, no streaming presence, no drama or bullshit, a solid support with some great plays..

And S4 <3

Acinixys

Someone is meme-ing hard here

This is an old 4chan copy pasta brought to life

New hero idea: Kel'Snippity the Demon Crab

Scuttle: With the drawback of an increased turn rate, Kel'Snippity gains increased movement speed while violently pinching each Hero he comes across. Deals increased damage if he pinches from behind. Lasts 6 seconds.

Demon Forged Shell: PASSIVE. Whenever Kel'Snippity sustains extreme damage from either a magical or physical attack, he gains immunity from that type of damage for a brief duration.

Burrow: Kel'Snippity burrows underneath the ground, gaining HP regen but reducing movement speed by 50%. If he attacks out of Burrow, he will latch onto the enemy Hero, reducing their movement speed and dealing damage until Kel'Snippity is attacked a number of times (similar to Weaver's bugs).

Pinch: Kel'Snippity snaps at the enemy unit with his enchanted claw, dealing a moderate ammount of Pure damage and pinching a random buff from the unit. Cannot steal Auras. The Pinch effect does not work against magic immune targets.

However, its fucking amazing and high quality for being so goofy

With the extra creep in midlane and stacking back, SF comes online very fast.
Also sven winrate got a massive jump, just in time for the rumored arcana.

With the extra creep in midlane and stacking back, SF comes online very fast.

Yea he does. I played one game in 7.06 with a SF on our team and despite them having a way better lineup we handily won and SF balled oughta control. Funny thing is he originally randomed Nyx and I decided to swap him and picked him SF over his other choice which was I think Lina.

52club

I feel two things have changed, pure jungle is damn near impossible to justify. The second is a strong lane support is more important and viable than it has been for a long time.

I feel two things have changed, pure jungle is damn near impossible to justify. The second is a strong lane support is more important and viable than it has been for a long time.

I think we're going to go back to seeing more Trilanes than we did in previous patches.

Hylian7

Good, the less people are encouraged to do things like LC jungle, the better.

Honestly I welcome more trilanes, and I think it will nudge the general populace to respond to them instead of blaming the offlaner for not beating them on his own.

Honestly I welcome more trilanes, and I think it will nudge the general populace to respond to them instead of blaming the offlaner for not beating them on his own.

As an offlane player it results in changes. You'll see more defensive offlane picks again. I think we might see Tide come back and Nyx go back to being a primarily Offlane hero (that HP regen).

shira

For all you Secret fans they have three huge Bo3 online games starting tomorrow

Mr. Cat Invitational LB Final vs winner prodota/vp
t1495033200z1.png

Mr. Cat Invitational Grand Final (if they win LB final vs Empire)
t1495108800z1.png

EPICENTER qualifier Grand Final vs Navi
t1495206000z1.png

Is the daily hero challenge bugged or does it just not update immediately?

both, you eventually get everything though unless Valve

Strider

Creator Update KILLED my FPS

From ~140 to ~40..................

Creators update basically reset all my windows 10 settings... Make sure xbox dvr is off, check that the new game mode is also off (bc its trash), etc

I had auto updates turned off but the creators update was still thrown on me automatically one day :/ It broke my gsync which still isn't fixed on top of other issues...

I don't know why they keep turning they piece of garbage on. There are of plenty of programs not called Shadowplay that do a much better job.

Microsoft really likes to shove their features/software down peoples throats. The worst part is that they do a really shit job advertising DVR as is, so even with enabling it most people don't realize it's there.

manfestival

someone tell me what is wrong with me? I havent played dota 2 in forever and I want to re install it just so I can use this stupid battle pass. SOMEONE HELP ME

Qvoth

7.9k average game on forev's stream
All Pick [7980 avg MMR]: Cacha (Lion), Kingteka (Puck), BuLba (Riki), Benjaz (Lycan), UNiVeRsE (Clockwerk), Aui_2000 (Slardar), MSS (Troll Warlord), vanN (Queen of Pain)
https://www.twitch.tv/forev
forev dropped 300+ mmr ever since he returned to NA i think LUL

Top Bottom