• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

X-Frame said:
Hardware limitations of the consoles held back a new lively Kirkwall.

How the hell does Sony expect the PS3 to be good for another 5 years? Better yet, why can't consoles be upgradable .. but I guess that's the topic for another thread.

How is it that Assassin's Creed can simultaneously look better but also have so much more on screen happening?

I'm sure it's just voodoo and it's actually impossible for the consoles to do that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Q: Could prolonging development time for the game result in a better variety within the city itself and avoiding reused areas, as seen in the game?

A: Obviously, more time would enable more areas and bigger variation. Honestly, we did not expect this to be such a big deal, but it seems the subject gave rise to a significant number of complaints by both critics and players alike. We listen to the reviews and we will try to address the issue in future games..

*SMH so hard I broke my neck*

Okay, so I was banned when I finished this game, so I never got a chance to post my thoughts.

I have gone through this weird arc with DA2

I was angry at the decisions, then found them hilarious, then played the game, accepted the design decisions, kind of liked the game, then got bored of it, then disliked it, and now I am angry at the actual game.

Which is probably not the reaction any game developer wants. It's just so undeniably rushed in a way that hurts the fundamental game design. I am one of the few people really liked Assassin's Creed 2 but wasn't really feeling Brotherhood because it felt rushed, but I'll freely admit the core of the game was still good. I can't make that argument for DA2, because the places it chose to cut corners (dungeon design, unique art assets, several story scenes) made it feel like a worse game.

I dunno. I don't think I came in with overly high expectations and I could maybe buy the argument I was prejudiced against the game from the beginning if I weren't enjoying it for the first six or so hours (before the repetition set in). I just get the feeling once Dragon Age 3 rolls around (
and it will since DA2 is literally nothing except set up for that game
), people from Bioware will freely talk about how rushed this game was as if it were never released, defended, and sold for $60.

The more distance I get from it, the more I realize....it's not a good game. And it's a game where the developer just does not understand why it's not good. They know it's rushed, but I think Bioware has convinced themselves that "not enough time" is the only problem with it.

I just...I really wish I had been wrong about this game and I loved it as much as I loved Origins. It wasn't the kind of bad I was expecting, but it was bad all the same, and I feel almost crushed due to that fact.

njean777

ShockingAlberto said:
Okay, so I was banned when I finished this game, so I never got a chance to post my thoughts.

I have gone through this weird arc with DA2

I was angry at the decisions, then found them hilarious, then played the game, accepted the design decisions, kind of liked the game, then got bored of it, then disliked it, and now I am angry at the actual game.

Which is probably not the reaction any game developer wants. It's just so undeniably rushed in a way that hurts the fundamental game design. I am one of the few people really liked Assassin's Creed 2 but wasn't really feeling Brotherhood because it felt rushed, but I'll freely admit the core of the game was still good. I can't make that argument for DA2, because the places it chose to cut corners (dungeon design, unique art assets, several story scenes) made it feel like a worse game.

I dunno. I don't think I came in with overly high expectations and I could maybe buy the argument I was prejudiced against the game from the beginning if I weren't enjoying it for the first six or so hours (before the repetition set in). I just get the feeling once Dragon Age 3 rolls around (
and it will since DA2 is literally nothing except set up for that game
), people from Bioware will freely talk about how rushed this game was as if it were never released, defended, and sold for $60.

The more distance I get from it, the more I realize....it's not a good game. And it's a game where the developer just does not understand why it's not good. They know it's rushed, but I think Bioware has convinced themselves that "not enough time" is the only problem with it.

I just...I really wish I had been wrong about this game and I loved it as much as I loved Origins. It wasn't the kind of bad I was expecting, but it was bad all the same, and I feel almost crushed due to that fact.

I did not think the game was that bad aside from the re used locations all the time. The characters were great even though some of the quests were dumb, or never really had a great ending (merrils for example). The ending was good, but I really feel that you should have only had to
fight either Orisino or Meridith not both
, thats a huge cop out in my opinion. The combat is a lot better imo but I agree they should have left the pc version alone for the people who like it the other way. DA3 will be interesting to see what they change.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I started the game a few days ago. I have the "Signature Edition" and I did every single quest I could do before going to the Deep Roads.

I have to say that the issue I despise most is the endless bread sticks -- I mean endless enemies. Shales and tarantulas galore. This is by far one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. The flood of lower powered, weak fiends perpetuates the repetition throughout the game. Maybe it's the fact that these are simply random quests, but there is no excuse for such an imbecilic battle structure. Plotting spans of three to six enemies and spawning them after a previous pack has been bested, is not a great way to stay fresh. Dragon Age: Origins had wide, open maps where enemies spawned in certain locations. However, here they neither have a variety of locals nor a variety of fiends.

Before, I felt like an adventurer wandering about kicking ass and taking names. My character felt very dear to me. Now, I feel like an asshole running around in a city without anything to do but continuously kill worthless foes for no purpose at all -- I never care to read the log, because there's no reason. The interest wears thin.

The battles were getting exciting in the Deep Roads, but they still fester with shales. Sons of bitches at BioWare, why did you do this?

Furthermore, whose idea was it to remove friendly fire and a full overhead view? That person ought to be fired. I do not want Dragon Age Lite! I want Dragon Age: Origins 2.

PS: Does anyone get the MMO vibe from the Broken Coast? A part of me feels that DA2 will lead to DAO(nline). The color schemes and fonts kept making me think it was an MMO.

PPS: Fixed.
immPqa.png

deim0s

Heh, I'm more annoyed by the pathfinding getting blocked by a rockface (or staircase) and still hitting that Qunari on the plateau with my tiny daggers.

GameCritics review is harsh (360 ver). I dislike the game as much as anyone can dislike it, but the 2.5/10 score seems a little too low. Then again, assuming they use the full ten point scale I suppose it's no more outrageous than scoring the game in the 90s.

http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/dragon-age-ii-review

Repetitive, tedious, shallow, rushed and sloppy, this sequel is a complete failure in every respect.
Structured as a "framed narrative" featuring sequences taken from a ten-year period of time, what I actually got is a thin, unfocused series of things happening that had no dramatic weight and failed to keep my attention.
Worse, every fight basically plays out the same, with players constantly mobbed by pop-in enemies. It makes even rudimentary tactical play impossible (which was the first game's problem, if you'll recall) and utterly destroys player buy-in at the same time... I don't know who approved this absurd system, but the battles are distasteful, tedious chores that wear away at a sane person's patience.
Defying all expectations, BioWare managed to take one of the most memorable Western RPGs in recent history and completely destroyed everything that made it so good. I have absolutely no idea how such a respected development house could have made so many colossal mistakes and turned out such an unpleasantly rushed, shallow, utter waste of time... but they did, and it is.

I don't actually see a score in the review anywhere, but metacritic lists it as 25.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Frankly speaking I don't want to finish this. I met my former party member and decided to do my second Origins walkthrough.

fuck this.

When I have to fight the same boss in the same place but it's being presented as a continuation of the story in two separate acts something has to give.

I feel offended. They offended me by selling c-grade product as a sequel to AAA game. It's just a huge disrespect to fans to release a game like that. It's like spitting on them.

I'm not over-dramatic here but I has never been so dissapointed since the release of Deus Ex Invisible War. And I usually laugh at people who freak out about "dumbing down" and "consolisation", so I'm even sort of generous here. But as in case with Deus Ex IW it's just a bad game all the way.

If I could sell this piece of turd I would do it.

Confidence Man said:
GameCritics review is harsh (360 ver). I dislike the game as much as anyone can dislike it, but the 2.5/10 score seems a little too low. Then again, assuming they use the full ten point scale I suppose it's no more outrageous than scoring the game in the 90s.

I don't actually see a score in the review anywhere, but metacritic lists it as 25.

I don't know how they ended up with a 25 either unless they have a set score for the general impression from a scoreless review.

Gamecritics was pretty scathing (and balls on accurate IMO). Didn't put a dent in DA II's average on metacritic though.

Still, considering what people are saying about it in general, and considering how fucking ridiculous the majority of Bioware interviews have been of late, clearly all the strong employees are working on ME 3 and the Star Wars MMO.

jackdoe

subversus said:
Frankly speaking I don't want to finish this. I met my former party member and decided to do my second Origins walkthrough.

fuck this.

When I have to fight the same boss in the same place but it's being presented as a continuation of the story in two separate acts something has to give.

I feel offended. They offended me by selling c-grade product as a sequel to AAA game. It's just a huge disrespect to fans to release a game like that. It's like spitting on them.

I'm not over-dramatic here but I has never been so dissapointed since the release of Deus Ex Invisible War. And I usually laugh at people who freak out about "dumbing down" and "consolisation", so I'm even sort of generous here. But as in case with Deus Ex IW it's just a bad game all the way.

I stopped playing, bought Crysis 2 on the PC, and probably won't get back to DA2 until Nvidia or Bioware release a DX11 fix. Cause if I'm gonna play this game, may as well have some tesselation to distract me from the repetition.

Xamdou

Are there separate teams within Bioware? Isn't the Austin based Bioware making SW TOR? So different teams within Bioware dedicated to making DA and ME only?

Salaadin

subversus said:

fuck this.

DA2 even seems to go beyond the typical "consolization" argument from what Im seeing. Every console player I know prefers the DA:O gameplay and presentation over DA2. Bioware says they wanted to cater to that audience but it looks like they even failed there.

subversus said:

fuck this.

I agree with most of your sentiments, but I think "dumbing down" and "consolisation" aren't the real issues here. The game's problems stem from shoddy design, poor writing (especially in act III), and it being a rushed product, and not really from being being dumbed down. Other than the camera, most of the dumbed down complaints aren't anything near what this game's biggest problems are.

esk1mo420

After reading that interview with the Bioware developer....

I call BS.BS.BS. "Due to technical limitations we had to keep the streets of Kirkwall less crowded?" Crap.. Final Fantasy XII had much busier cities and that was on the PS2.

Bioware > Has the great mythos in DA and MA but unable to translate it into a good product.
In the end they make themselves look bad. No reason DA2 is the way it is. Not sure if its a product of incompetence, Lazyness or both.

Almost seems like everytime a developer steps back and rethinks the formula then changes it to make it "More accessbile to a wider audience" = Shit %80 of the time.

Patryn

Xamdou said:
Are there separate teams within Bioware? Isn't the Austin based Bioware making SW TOR? So different teams within Bioware dedicated to making DA and ME only?

Yes, different teams made Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

The whole time they were making DA2, the ME team was making ME3.

And I've noticed that tide has definitely swung to the negative. Even Bioware's Registered Game Owners Only forum on their site, designed to be their refuge from negativity, has turned into a land of disappointment and advice for how Bioware can come back from this misstep.

subversus

jackdoe said:
Cause if I'm gonna play this game, may as well have some tesselation to distract me from the repetition.

I have it and it won't help you. I've lasted until act III.

subversus

Confidence Man said:

lol, try to copypaste the paragraph before disclosures.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Patryn said:
And I've noticed that tide has definitely swung to the negative. Even Bioware's Registered Game Owners Only forum on their site, designed to be their refuge from negativity, has turned into a land of disappointment and advice for how Bioware can come back from this misstep.
I'm pretty pleased that the aggregate review score fell below 80 finally. It took way too long to offset the bullshit prerelease reviews.

subversus

Damn, I loaded my Origins save and everybody is fucking naked. The game says that I haven't activated my premium content while I did. Have to redownload, argh.

subversus said:
Damn, I loaded my Origins save and everybody is fucking naked. The game says that I haven't activated my premium content while I did. Have to redownload, argh.

There's bug where the game thinks your DLC isn't activated. Usually closing the game and restarting it fixes it.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I played through Origins on the PS3 countless times, and loved it. I played through Dragon Age 2 on the PS3 and it quite obviously pales in comparison to Origins in almost every single way.

Basically, regardless of what you're playing it on, it's a mess.

Interfectum

Confidence Man said:

Now that is an honest review of DA2.

esk1mo420 said:
After reading that interview with the Bioware developer....

I call BS.BS.BS. "Due to technical limitations we had to keep the streets of Kirkwall less crowded?" Crap.. Final Fantasy XII had much busier cities and that was on the PS2.

It also didn't force you into a mini-map every time you left an area, and didn't look boring or reuse maps.

ok just got this game and so far it's not bad. i do like origins a lot better but i do love the graphic overhaul. however, it feels origins were so much more deeper in every way. one thing though.. what's up with the huge breasts on every female??

can anyone also tell me whats with the junk loot? are they useful and should i keep them or trash them? i hate how rpgs don't tell you any info on shit like this.

subversus

junk loot is junk you should sell it.

also I can't take it anymore, I'll continue my Divinity II walkthtough.

I won't be buying anything from Bioware until it has Mass Effect on it.

Interfectum

subversus said:

I'm pretty much done with Bioware at this point. Though I will buy Mass Effect 3 used (or rent via redbox) just to see how it all ends.

macfoshizzle said:
can anyone also tell me whats with the junk loot? are they useful and should i keep them or trash them? i hate how rpgs don't tell you any info on shit like this.

One thing that really bugs me about DAII.

In Origins items had a little description, the weapons had lengthier ones. Now, a handful of weapons get codex entries in that god awful to sort through journal, but otherwise you get nothing.

Just one of many little things left out from DA:O that makes the DAII game world feel more bland and lifeless.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
subversus said:

Which makes me wonder why it exists in the first place. Just give us money instead of filling up our inventories with shit. I hated this in FFXII, too.

I should probably go back to this game eventually, but it really just wasn't much fun at 7 hours or so in. Rift and Shogun 2 have been distracting me and now AssBro is out (and it's amazing), so it might be a while before I do play DA2 again, though.

Such a shame after DA:O was one of my favorite RPGs ever.

subversus said:

so you wont buy anything from bioware until their very next game is out

subversus

Also lack of The Doctors pre-release interviews shows their lack of care about this title or that they don't want evangelize it like they usually do (because they KNOW). When ME2 and DA:O were coming out there were tons of interviews with Muzyka and Greg. Now there's silence.

Bpatrol said:
so you wont buy anything from bioware until their very next game is out

no, I won't buy SWTOR. And every game after ME3 until it has praise from community. Well, if SWTOR has enough praise I'll buy it, but until DAII everything Bioware was a blind-buy for me.

Does this game level scale? I'm at the beginning of act 2 and after doing a million forgettable side quests in act 1 I think I'm just going to critical-path my way to the end if that's viable.

Rufus

^ Drop down to casual to speed it up further.

Zefah said:
Which makes me wonder why it exists in the first place. Just give us money instead of filling up our inventories with shit. I hated this in FFXII, too.
I agree, but in FF12 it actually did something. Depending on what and how much of it you sold, the merchants (or some of them, don't remember) would expand their inventory. In DA2 it's really just what it says it is - garbage. Useless shit to make you trod to a merchant regularly, not for money, which was just as useless, but to empty out your inventory. It's what you do in this sort of game, only there's no real reasons to do it. It reeks of padding.

RPGCrazied

I'm just fearing DLC for this game. I just hope they give us new areas, the main game seriously lacked those.

Is there mods for the PC yet? I kinda want to unlock all characters regardless if they left or not. It sucks having: - MAJOR SPOILER -
either Anders die, which I don't want, or have both Sebastian and Fenris leave group if anders lives. I don't want that either. I've already lost Isabella too. Thats a lot to lose.

chase

Waaaa tactics waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bg2 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

This game's problems have nothing to do with combat and everything to do with the effects that being rushed have on storytelling (well, and dungeon design). It's half the game the first was in that regard.

The combat is fine. You should just get it over with go back to BG2; nothing anyone can do will live up to your unrealistic nostalgia-filled expectations anyway. You'll play it and think how well everything works together without realizing that it formed your appreciation (as others had their appreciation formed by other games) for combat and thus is irreplaceable.

Regardless of the way in which BG2 or whichever cool CRPG became your idol, there is not one "right" way to portray fighting in an RPG.

The combat is exactly the way they want it and isn't going to change for DA3. If you're hoping for a change, bad luck and goodbye. Better load up Torment again and wax lyrical about the good old days of under-appreciated RPGs that only people like you could really understand. Again.

I have no issue with the combat itself as a system. It's a little too flashy for me (I too often can't see what's going on, the enemies falling apart like they're in Clayfighter was just hilariously bad), but at its heart it was still good.

The problem was the way they chose to implement it. The battle system did not properly balance for multi-wave battles. This is fine for boss fights, but it happened in literally every battle. Then they talk the boss fights to stupid extremes, like having to hide behind pillars to avoid a Wraith's super attack or, let's just say an enemy, having a massive hitbox on his attack with a seven second animation on it.

This wasn't a matter of rushing. It was a deliberate attempt to put lipstick on a pig, but the pig was already fine without it.

subversus

chase said:

Regardless of the way in which BG2 or whichever cool CRPG became your idol, there is not one "right" way to portray fighting in an RPG.

Yes and waves of teleporting enemies are definitely not the right way to portray it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
chase said:

This game's problems have nothing to do with combat and everything to do with the effects that being rushed have on storytelling (well, and dungeon design). It's half the game the first was in that regard.

The combat is fine. You should just get it over with go back to BG2; nothing anyone can do will live up to your unrealistic nostalgia-filled expectations anyway. You'll play it and think how well everything works together without realizing that it formed your appreciation (as others had their appreciation formed by other games) for combat and thus is irreplaceable.

The combat is exactly the way they want it and isn't going to change for DA3. If you're hoping for a change, bad luck and goodbye. Better load up Torment again and wax lyrical about the good old days of under-appreciated RPGs that only people like you could really understand. Again.

No, it's not fine. There is no way to be strategic or tactical when every fight involves enemies that spawn out of nowhere in seemingly random locations. Not to mention that everyone either teleports around or runs at the speed of light. What you see is not what you get. You can't plan for shit in the game. Positioning means absolutely nothing.

The combat in Dragon Age: Origins was fun, but severely lacked in balance in the higher levels and could quickly become too easy. At least it offered a decent amount of options in terms of tactics and positioning. You also had utility abilities that helped with crowd control. In many of the fights in Dragon Age: Origins, it actually helped if you executed on a good plan. In Dragon Age II, all you do is focus fire and spam your damage dealing abilities as they refresh.

Rokk

Neo Member
chase said:

The previous Dragon Age did fine.

The ridiculous ease of managing aggro and spamming healing spells and potions in DAO made "tactical" gameplay rather pointless. The camera notwithstanding, I actually prefer the combat in DA2 and think it's more tactical with things like CCCs. The spawning mid-battle is lazy design, but it actually makes managing all your characters and keeping them alive somewhat involving. And even the spawning becomes less of an issue once you learn how to manage threat.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Bioware shit the bed. All we can really do now is hope that they realize this and take the time to make sure it never happens again.

I think what really kills DA2 is not that it was rushed, but that it was designed to be rushed. The game has no ambition, there are so many design choices that only make sense from the perspective of someone who knows they don't have a lot of time to work on the game. I'd rather they aim high and fall short because at least then some greatness might peak out, and at the very least the mod community can patch and rework it into something awesome. Instead they aimed low. They got closer to their mark but who fucking cares when that mark is dull and repetitive.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Basileus777 said:
The ridiculous ease of managing aggro and spamming healing spells and potions in DAO made "tactical" gameplay rather pointless. The camera notwithstanding, I actually prefer the combat in DA2 and think it's more tactical with things like CCCs. The spawning mid-battle is lazy design, but it actually makes managing all your characters and keeping them alive somewhat involving. And even the spawning becomes less of an issue once you learn how to manage threat.
I find this to be the complete opposite. As a mage I can spam fire and ice spells, kill all the shales and manage my other members only if I need to do move them somewhere else. Aside from that, there's nothing tactical about it. I may have to pause it to set ice cone in a certain direction, but I was always micromanaging things in Origins. I didn't have a spam healer nor a bulk of stamina draughts, however. I believe I have died about six or seven times in 15 hours of game-play in DAII. I probably died several dozen times in Origins, but then again I was new to the genre.

Edit: I remembered that I respec'd my character yesterday. I actually didn't have the fire spells for about 12 or 13 hours, but the game has become easier than before after getting those.

Top Bottom