• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 12 hours in now, and just finished the Deep Roads part causing me to enter Chapter II. I must say, the transition from Chapter I to II was poorly handled.

Oh, hey, we're all rich now (even though it visibly showed my whole party walking out of the deep roads without all of the amazing loot), "everyone" knows who I am now, and I my sister gets taken to the Magi Circle without my even having a choice to try and stop those bitch-ass Templars.

I guess it really doesn't matter. Even though I sometimes get to guide the direction of what Hawke says, I still have no idea who he is or what he wants.

This game just feels so disjointed and sloppily put together.

Zeliard

ShockingAlberto said:
He would be the perfect example of a JRPG lead if the person designing him had only ever played one JRPG.

Yes, that's the joke. Not familiar with Bioware's comments on JRPGs? I wasn't trying to imply that I think they're all a certain way, though I could have worded it better. It was a jab at Bioware's dismissal of JRPGs as one lump "unevolved" group, particularly when they created a game like Dragon Age 2 and point to titles like GTA as having notable RPG mechanics.

That they would then have the balls to call JRPGs unevolved, and as if their latest games aren't taking massive steps backwards, is amusing to say the least.

Vamphuntr

Gamer @ Heart said:
Has the 360 version been patched yet?

I would like those Exiled Prince Achievements please!

The DLC was corrected. You have to delete it and redownload it from the marketplace and REPLAY the DLC.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
No, its fucking badly done. Now play the witcher to see what actual decissions make changes to the characters, story, and hard ones to make.
[/spoiler]
It was horribly done.
I've already played the Witcher, that game has nothing to do with DA2. It's not badly done. One choice has the option of her dieing or meeting a different fate then the other. So what if both end up with her not in your party, both have different story ramifications for her party. The only problem with it is the overall after effect with the character reactions. The actual choice is fine.

Now nowhere did I say Bioware handled it the best way the could have, but I see nothing wrong with still having it in the game. I think the character dieing or not is a pretty big difference and obviously could effect if she appears in a DA3.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
13 hours in. Barely started Act 2. Yeah this game has some meat. Variety is low though, but its enjoyable.

Mikey Jr.

No spoilers guys, but do you ever find out what happens to your character/Morrigan and their child?

Or is this game not really a sequel to that but more of its own thing separate from everything else?

Mikey Jr. said:
No spoilers guys, but do you ever find out what happens to your character/Morrigan and their child?

Or is this game not really a sequel to that but more of its own thing separate from everything else?
Morrigan and the child aren't referenced at all.

Mikey Jr. said:

The biggest tie in to DA:O is Flemeth.
Hawke basically unknowingly saves her life after she was "killed" by the hero of Ferelden
. Then... nothing else happens with her.

Rahxephon91 said:
I've already played the Witcher, that game has nothing to do with DA2. It's not badly done. One choice has the option of her dieing or meeting a different fate then the other. So what if both end up with her not in your party, both have different story ramifications for her party. The only problem with it is the overall after effect with the character reactions. The actual choice is fine.

Now nowhere did I say Bioware handled it the best way the could have, but I see nothing wrong with still having it in the game. I think the character dieing or not is a pretty big difference and obviously could effect if she appears in a DA3.
Well, that's the thing.

It actually does not matter at all if a character died. Bioware has shown that, even if you kill a character in one game, they will bring them back with whatever reason they want, up to and including actual uses of "A wizard did it."

Patryn

Mikey Jr. said:

I'm willing to bet that thread will never be picked up again. Bioware wants to leave DA:O in the past. DA2 is the future, for better or (more likely) for worse.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Patryn said:
I'm willing to be that thread will never be picked up again. Bioware wants to leave DA:O in the past. DA2 is the future, for better or (more likely) for worse.

I highly doubt they will leave that plot thread hanging, but it won't be resolved in DLC. My bet is that at least one DA sequel will involve your character killing the kid/
elder god

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So this is odd. 40 hours in, just started Chapter III.

I visit my house, say what's up to Merrill (who I'm living with), she's all like - hey, I'm gonna go check on my stuff at the Alienage. So I go follow her. I walk into her house, and she's crying at her mirror (which looks fixed?) wailing on something about
The Keeper being dead and not being able to help the dalish, they don't want her help blah blah
Is that just because she's been gone three years? The scene ended, and now the mirror is gone, and it just feels weird like I'm missing something. After it was over, I spoke to her and she acted like nothing was wrong and we went out to get some fresh air or whatever.

Is there a third quest involving her mirror? One didn't trigger, and now it's gone.

Rufus

John Harker said:
So this is odd. 40 hours in, just started Chapter III.

I visit my house, say what's up to Merrill (who I'm living with), she's all like - hey, I'm gonna go check on my stuff at the Alienage. So I go follow her. I walk into her house, and she's crying at her mirror (which looks fixed?) wailing on something about
The Keeper being dead and not being able to help the dalish, they don't want her help blah blah
Is that just because she's been gone three years? The scene ended, and now the mirror is gone, and it just feels weird like I'm missing something. After it was over, I spoke to her and she acted like nothing was wrong and we went out to get some fresh air or whatever.

Is there a third quest involving her mirror? One didn't trigger, and now it's gone.
Her quests are bugged. Did you ever fix the mirror? If not, there's a number of things that can happen during the last steps. What you saw is the fallout from that. I don't think it ever triggered for me. Did you get to tell her what a naive moron she was? Probably not, but you know, choices and all.

Abylim

I had the same thing happen to me, it did that after I had done everything for her sidequest wise, but before I went upto the mountain to finish the sidequest and do what she was upset about. The scene happened before said quest could even start. I dont get it =\

witness

So about 11 or 12 hours in I finished up Act 1 and got an hour or so into Act 2. I think I might start seeing what the end goal is here, which is just a hunch, but this is definitely a much more personal story compared to the huge epic story in the first one. I don't mind the fewer customization options for party members, indifferent on it really. I really do like the combat though a lot better in this one, so much more satisfying and it does make you and your party feel like a group of badasses.

I like it so far, but I don't love it. Glad I gamefly'd it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Genjikage said:
I had the same thing happen to me, it did that after I had done everything for her sidequest wise, but before I went upto the mountain to finish the sidequest and do what she was upset about. The scene happened before said quest could even start. I dont get it =\

Soooo basically I can't do at all the entire end of her quest string?
W...t...f? What did I miss? I've done every quest in the game so far, that's just lousy!

I went to Sundermount after that, and everyone's ya know, alive and well and no ones pissed at her or anything.

John Harker said:
W...t...f? What did I miss? I've done every quest in the game so far, that's just lousy!

I went to Sundermount after that, and everyone's ya know, alive and well and no ones pissed at her or anything.

That cutscene was literally the first thing I saw after starting Act 3. I was still able to do the entire quest, up until that cutscene's actual point, but it didn't play again when it was supposed to.

Patryn

Same bug happened to me. First thing that occurred the second I set foot in her house. I didn't even have to select her.

It was part of the reason that I quit the game at the beginning of Act 3.

Seriously, how does a bug that severe not get caught in the QA process?

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, that's the thing.

It actually does not matter at all if a character died. Bioware has shown that, even if you kill a character in one game, they will bring them back with whatever reason they want, up to and including actual uses of "A wizard did it."
That wasn't the case in Mass Effect 2 and who knows actually how they will handle Dragon Age 3. Going forward, I'm willing to bet 3 will have a bigger connection with 2 then Origins did and these choices dealing with characters won't be glossed over like they were with characters like Anders.

Regardless if the take the cheap route in 3 like they did in 2. I think having a characters fate change is still cool even if it really only effects one game or just changes a few things. People were up in arms about having Wrex die in ME1, that choice didn't really change the story in ME1 as well. Why the praise there and not here? Maybe it's more obvious in DA2 because of the overall quality of the product, but to me it's still a pretty cool choice. But the real problem I've seen in people talking about her death is that they miss her as a gameplay option more then anything, which I don't see as a problem. I think Bioware should have more radical story choices that allow for pretty radical consequences. Moving forward, I do hope they make their choices more involved and more reflective in the actual games as I do agree they have dropped the ball in DA2.

Also at least the Dragon Age universe has wizards and stuff.

Vamphuntr

John Harker said:

Basically you got her to tell you about the outcome of her quest without doing it. Since it's bugged, here what you missed
if you help her repair the mirror she will need your help to contact the demon that helped her with blood magic in the first place. The demon is in the cave at the top of the Sundermount. When you reach the cave the demon is gone and the keeper reveals she took the demon inside her body so that Merril wouldn't pay the price of her blood magic. She morphs into that generic purple demon you already saw and then you kill her. The villagers then attack you since they believe you killed the keeper. You kill everyone in the village. The end.

Vamphuntr

Here is a ridiculous update on the game's patch.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/301/index/6888476

Hi Everyone

We know that people are waiting on more patching to fix issues they are having with Dragon Age II. We have said previously that we are working on patching for all 4 platforms (PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3), but we have not yet given any detail about what this patch will contain nor when it will be available. We greatly appreciate your patience as we work to fix issues with Dragon Age II and ensure that these fixes do not introduce new issues to the game. To help keep you updated on the status of the next patch (the first patch for PC and Mac Dragon Age II can be found HERE) we wanted to provide you with a more detailed message on the next Dragon Age II patch.

BioWare has prepared a patch for PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. We are currently testing the patch and are submitting it for certification with EA, Microsoft and Sony. Certification is where testing teams outside of BioWare confirm the fixes we make and ensure that no new issues are introduced. We continue to test the patch during the certification process to ensure quality. Once the patch has passed certification, it is then released to the public. We do not have a more exact ETA of when it will be available to you, but when we do know when it is available, we will let everyone know.

We cannot reveal to you the exact contents of the patch until it passes certification. We can say that there are more than 100 fixes including gameplay, quest and platform specific issues. We can also say that the implementation of auto-attack on both Xbox 360 and PS3 is included. When we can reveal the patch notes, we will let everyone know.

BioWare is dedicated to continuing to support Dragon Age II. We thank our community members who have helped our team fix issues by providing details and reports on the problems they are having. We appreciate your patience and your support.

How was this certified in the first place if there is a need to fix 100 issues.

Rahxephon91 said:
That wasn't the case in Mass Effect 2 and who knows actually how they will handle Dragon Age 3. Going forward, I'm willing to bet 3 will have a bigger connection with 2 then Origins did and these choices dealing with characters won't be glossed over like they were with characters like Anders.
It very much was the case in Dragon Age 2, however.

They've also made it clear that it is their policy to adjust what characters die regardless of what decisions you made.

JMhSG.jpg

Well I guess that shatters my idea that Bioware wanted to just start over with Dragon Age 2 ,but still stay with DA base and that's why they were pretty terrible with the Origin choices carrying over.

Well it's really hard to defend this game. And it's not like Bioware wants me to either.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yeah, it seems that DA:O is the only game in series I will be playing. Also I won't buy any Mass Effect games blindly after the third one. When you have to satisfy shareholders instead of consumers it's time to end it.

Havok

ShockingAlberto said:
It very much was the case in Dragon Age 2, however.

They've also made it clear that it is their policy to adjust what characters die regardless of what decisions you made.

http://i.imgur.com/JMhSG.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]
Holy shit, I completely forgot about the Leliana thing. Between this and the fucking terrible handling of previous characters in Mass Effect 2, I'm starting to lose all faith that they have any idea what people actually want out of those series.

subversus

Havok said:
Holy shit, I completely forgot about the Leliana thing. Between this and the fucking terrible handling of previous characters in Mass Effect 2, I'm starting to lose all faith that they have any idea what people actually want out of those series.

ME2 did it fine. At least it remembered my choices except this bugged Conrad.

Havok

subversus said:
ME2 did it fine. At least it remembered my choices except this bugged Conrad.
Its not the specific problem that DA2 has, but the Kaiden/Ashley conversation was infuriating to me in Mass Effect 2, combined with a few of the other major choices being mostly pointless (namely the Council choice), although that series has more of a chance to make those relevant in the third game.

RedSwirl

luxarific said:
I highly doubt they will leave that plot thread hanging, but it won't be resolved in DLC. My bet is that at least one DA sequel will involve your character killing the kid/
elder god

I still haven't touched DA2 yet, but I personally would like to see DA3 end up being some kind of Hawke vs Warden thing with both as playable characters.

Patryn

If that's the way they feel, they should just take out the ability to import a save. It's clear that they want a canon storyline, so don't half-ass it. Just say that X happened regardless of how you played the game, and you should deal with it.

Importing implies that your choices will matter when it's clear that they don't.

RedSwirl said:
I still haven't touched DA2 yet, but I personally would like to see DA3 end up being some kind of Hawke vs Warden thing with both as playable characters.

The lack of voice will likely mean that the Warden will never again appear in the series.

subversus

Havok said:
Its not the specific problem that DA2 has, but the Kaiden/Ashley conversation was infuriating to me in Mass Effect 2, combined with a few of the other major choices being mostly pointless (namely the Council choice), although that series has more of a chance to make those relevant in the third game.
Well, the council choice had influence on a lot of dialogues inside the Citadel. I agree that the game isn't seriously altered because of your choices but at least it doesn't refuse them.

RedSwirl

Patryn said:
Importing implies that your choices will matter when it's clear that they don't.

Yeah about that. I'm actually still in the middle of Awakening, and I understand the order for getting your save file "ready" is: Origins -> Awakening -> Golems of Amgarrak -> Witch Hunt.

Do I absolutely have to do "Golems" if I want my file to be transferable, or can I skip to "Witch Hunt"?

RedSwirl said:
Do I absolutely have to do "Golems" if I want my file to be transferable, or can I skip to "Witch Hunt"?
I think you can skip to witch hunt but you can't go from witch hunt to anything else.

But again it doesn't matter. At all. At best you might notice a single thing from importing your save but it has almost no effect at all on DA2.

RedSwirl

Lostconfused said:
I think you can skip to witch hunt but you can't go from witch hunt to anything else.

But again it doesn't matter. At all. At best you might notice a single thing from importing your save but it has almost no effect at all on DA2.

So after "Witch Hunt" it's straight to DAII?

X-Frame

Lostconfused said:

I think I'm going to try another DA2 playthrough with one of the stock backgrounds instead of my own just to see the differences.

Xilium

RedSwirl said:
So after "Witch Hunt" it's straight to DAII?
I believe there is only one line of dialog that references witch hunt so play it only if you want to see its story content, not as a set-up for DAII.

Aaron

subversus said:
Well, the council choice had influence on a lot of dialogues inside the Citadel. I agree that the game isn't seriously altered because of your choices but at least it doesn't refuse them.
A lot? It altered exactly one conversation, and that was with the council itself. Even though I saved the original, everything else in the game implied the humans were taking over anyway. Like all the other choices in ME1, it resulted in a five minute throw away moment in ME2.

Aaron said:
Like all the other choices in ME1, it resulted in a five minute throw away moment in ME2.
But there is a lot of those choices and moments. And they all add up to make it feel like a much more cohesive and personal experience. The emails weren't great but heck I even liked the galactic news clips. All those little references to ME1 is probably the major reason why I didn't go absolutely ape shit and start ranting about just how awful of a game Mass Effect 2 is.

Xilium

Aaron said:
A lot? It altered exactly one conversation, and that was with the council itself. Even though I saved the original, everything else in the game implied the humans were taking over anyway. Like all the other choices in ME1, it resulted in a five minute throw away moment in ME2.
I believe there are also 2 Turians (or some other non-human race) talking to one one another on the citadel that mention the death of the council and the human takeover. Doesn't prove his point about there being "a lot" but I just wanted to throw that out there.

The mechanic of importing save data isn't a difficult one (just a matter of checking save game flags) but actually making that content meaningful requires additional work. I think the way it is handled in ME and DA is the reason why many companies just don't bother with it. All they do is acknowledge your decisions and maybe give you a cameo. If they aren't going to do anything with it, I think I would prefer it if they'd stop acting as though any of it is worth a damn and just focus on the story going forward and if they're going to retcon your decisions anyway (Leliana/Anders), then just give me the canon story.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lostconfused said:
But there is a lot of those choices and moments. And they all add up to make it feel like a much more cohesive and personal experience. The emails weren't great but heck I even liked the galactic news clips. All those little references to ME1 is probably the major reason why I didn't go absolutely ape shit and start ranting about just how awful of a game Mass Effect 2 is.

The visit to the Normandy was one of the saving graces of ME2.

subversus

Aaron said:

There's a lot of whining from aliens if you choose not to save the Council. You have special dialogue optons with the Turian trader and may be some other traders, I don't remember with whom exactly. And humans weren't taking over the citadel in a bad way on my pro-council walkthrough.

I agree that some dialogues, announcements and cameos aren't enough, but they exist at least.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
subversus said:
There's a lot of whining from aliens if you choose not to save the Council. You have special dialogue optons with the Turian trader and may be some other traders, I don't remember with whom exactly. And humans weren't taking over the citadel in a bad way on my pro-council walkthrough.

I agree that some dialogues, announcements and cameos aren't enough, but they exist at least.
Barely. And in some cases, they didn't.

Luthos

Man I wish Bioware learned how to make some better mage outfits. I want robes, not dresses. Robes should be normal clothes with a open-front cloak over it, with possible hood or something. Not a flat dress that sticks to your body.

I love the chantry robes, but I hear you can't get them until Act 3, which by that time you can get the Champion's armor relatively quickly.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
^ I think that line reads more like a meh. Also, the fact that he's using a Loghain avatar is hilarious. TRAITOR!

The idea is, and I love this idea in concept so much, that you’re not playing as the last hero in the land, saving the universe. You’re just some refugee, trying to survive in a city that has no fondness for Fereldens, working you way up through the ranks from villainy to nobility, seeing the city change shape through time. I wish I could have played that game.
So do I, so do I. Unfortunately, I still don't really know Hawke. The story could have happened to anyone, but I was never captivated by him/her.

luxarific said:
elder god
This last part would be magical, and it would be even better because I want to learn more about the Old Gods and Tevinter, which I would hope we would visit. >:[

Top Bottom