• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Hixx

MortalMonkey said:
Something tells me that you primarily stuck to the main quest. I did most (if not all) the sidequests and objectives.

I did all of the secondary + the non broken sidequests and it took me ~31 hours.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My mage is at level 23, and I played 44.5 hours. Once I loaded that save I was at level 24.

John Harker said:
I think there's a decent amount to like about this game, I think in a few key areas it improves over DA:O (not as an overall package though), the one piece I think it's missing really... is fun. They forgot to add it.
They forgot we were supposed to play this for hours. Not just watch it passively, which would have been worse.

Once you become overpowered enough on Normal (Rune of Valiance giving +7 to all attributes, and everyone can equip one?)
What!? How did I miss that.

sillymonkey321 said:
ME 2's story was near non-existent, the game was made entirely to recruit party members which is the only thing Bioware as a whole seem interested in doing. " I don't feel like making a game, let's just make up party characters and banter."
Although you probably don't recruit anyone for the next DA, this was the same case in DA2. It was all about character interaction, though it was somewhat limited.

Durante said:
The new NV beta drivers 270.51 list, among others, these improvements:
- Up to 516% in Dragon Age 2 (SLI 2560x1600 8xAA/16xAF Very High, SSAO on)
- Up to 326% in Dragon Age 2 (1920x1200 8xAA/16xAF Very High, SSAO on)
Coo.

Domino Theory said:
For some reason, Sebastian is locked in as a party member for me even though I did his quest. Any help on how to get rid of him?

Going back to your house should toss everyone out of your party.

Micius

sillymonkey321 said:
Not so much length as lack of good content.

Yeah, the time played will inevitably vary depending on how obsessive you are about getting every side quest done. Ultimately though the vast majority of the side quests are rather dull and the reused locations only adds fuel to the fire, so the ones finishing at 20-30 hours or less by doing main quests only probably didn't miss much in terms of significant content.

Fezan

ended this game yesterday.was good not bad like some people are saying but not as good as DAO...Characters were great and interaction with them was dun to listen..but the recycled areas i thought it was being exaggerated but they were basically three dungeons over and over again even the sewers were the same as the low town.story was average at est but at least Boiware tried approached it in a different meaner than their usually recur-ting missions

and Dx11 implementation was very bad..vvbaad.my 5750 was barely running it at 30 fps with lots of dips at 1024*768 res

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
MortalMonkey said:
Something tells me that you primarily stuck to the main quest. I did most (if not all) the sidequests and objectives.
No, I probably did about 90% of the content.

sweetvar26 said:
Got a question, does the DA: Origins save carry over to this game like ME2 or no?

Yes. Not as important, but there are references to your warden and cameos by DA:O characters that change depending on what you did in it.

DLaren

Neo Member
You can add me to the list of people who don't see how this game can be beaten in 20-30 hours. I'm in the middle of ACT II and I'm nearing 60 hours so far.

screenshot2011033100071.jpg

Maybe it's because I play on Nightmare and enjoy reading the codex. But I also take time to back-track, and you'd be surprised how many side-quests pop-up while randomly "exploring" that you wouldn't have discovered otherwise.

Micius

DLaren said:
You can add me to the list of people who don't see how this game can be beaten in 20-30 hours. I'm in the middle of ACT II and I'm nearing 60 hours so far.

screenshot2011033100071.jpg

Maybe it's because I play on Nightmare and enjoy reading the codex. But I also take time to back-track, and you'd be surprised how many side-quests pop-up while randomly "exploring" that you wouldn't have discovered otherwise.
DLaren said:
don't see how this game can be beaten in 20-30 hours
DLaren said:
I play on Nightmare and enjoy reading the codex. But I also take time to back-track

Well that explains it doesn't it?

Coxswain

Playing on Nightmare drastically increases playtime, at least on your first time through the game. The average times I've seen from people playing Nightmare compared to Normal are usually at least 10-15 hours apart. My first save clocked in at a little under 60 hours, which is about the same as my first DAO save, also on Nightmare (granted, I did more sidequests in DA2).

I imagine repeat playthroughs would probably cut down on the difference, though. The lack of variety in encounters tends to mean that by the time you've played through on Nightmare, you are really, really good at the half-dozen or so kinds of non-boss fights the game throws at you. On my first playthrough I remember having a lot of KOs in my party and a fair number of Game Overs and near-wipes. I've made it a few hours into a second go-around and it's rare for anyone to go below half health, because I pretty much know the game's whole bag of tricks inside and out.

hateradio

^ I felt like a real live magician when I would guess the exact moment the next wave would appear.

im8RoM.jpg

What is the highest level that anyone can achieve in this game without cheating? I know I didn't do a few quests. But the DLC's probably add up and that the Facebook unlockable gives you 2500 XP. I think being at 24 is pretty ridiculous considering how repetitive it gets.

vareon

My god, I can't stand Fenris. It's like the forbidden lovechild of Squall and Sasuke who inherits only the worst of them.

Havok

Just finished it, took almost exactly 35 hours doing every quest I could find. Incredibly dissatisfied with the ending. They do no favors throughout the game mentioning the Warden, all it did was remind me of how much more I liked those characters and being someone special without it being forced. Character motivations made almost no sense during some key points:
Gamlen: Your mother is missing and received lilies this morning. Hawke: Hmmmmmm I'm sure she's fine! I'll look for her tonight instead of actually worrying about the whole serial killer thing!
Infuriating.

hateradio

I like how we had no choice in helping, even though this damn series is supposed to provide us with them. The game is infuriating. It makes it painfully obvious if you did a previous quest. I was expecting Hawke to take action. Instead he downplays it:
"Ah, I'll just tell Aveline. The Guard will help."
KTHXBYE.

Mother becomes the bride of Frankenstein
, and we can't do anything about it. :|

Xamdou

Just got to act 3 and got the complete stonehammer set. What is the best armor set in the game? And how much constitution or other attributes do I need to rock the best armor?

Alucrid

Banned
MortalMonkey said:

I got pretty much all the achievements and did all the side quests that were noted before continuing acts and I got done in like 26 hours on normal.

Xamdou

Just got to act 3 and got the complete stonehammer set. What is the best armor set in the game? And how much constitution or other attributes do I need to rock the best armor?

Zeliard

vareon said:
My god, I can't stand Fenris. It's like the forbidden lovechild of Squall and Sasuke who inherits only the worst of them.

He comes across to me as a deliberate mockery of the archetypal JRPG protagonist. He's so sullen that you end up wondering why he even bothers to tag along.

Zeliard said:
He comes across to me as a deliberate mockery of the archetypal JRPG protagonist. He's so sullen that you end up wondering why he even bothers to tag along.

Actually the stereotypical JRPG protagonist is a happy-go-lucky 14-16 year old who never shuts up about friendship.

I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that Cloud/Squall is the archetypal JRPG lead.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This is gotta be a joke. In Act
, the crowd celebrating at the end was basically three human models copy pasted all around. You lazy fucks.

And I entered the SAME cave for a main plot quest-chain three fucking times in a row.

This game feels like an expansion pack, and not a good one at that.

I really loved the statistics in DA:O, is it removed entirely or hidden somewhere ? I liked seeing who topped the damage done chart and damage taken.

masterkajo

I finished it yesterday evening. Took me about 86 hours. Didn't find every crafting resource (missed one in Act 2). Also did not manage to get anyone to be a rival. Didn't get the achievement for
taking the throne
. Did lose
3 (almost 5)
of my companions. Waiting for a patch (so I don't have to have Isabela and Sebastian in my party while playing a rogue archer on nightmare) for a second playthrough.

Goldrush

Beat the game. It's fun enough for me to go through it, but it's the buggiest game I have ever played. These are some of the problems I faced at least once every single time I played:
- Freezing issues. Got to wait minutes before it starts up again. The latest NVidia Beta driver fixed this, but introduced extreme screen tearing.
- Can't attack/target anyone. Got to switch between characters to get it working again.
- Can't move with the keyboard until I use click-to-move first. Pretty brutal since an AOE can kill me if I don't get out of the way quick enough.

Then, there are stuff that damn near game breaking if you don't save enough.
- Redoing quests because triggers didn't work correctly. Particularly likely if I run too far from the battlefield.
- Main character permanently slowed. By the end of the game, I was down to three members as my main character was only good as a punching bag. Made the battles on hard last a lot longer.
- Quest bugs. There's a quest I can't seem to trigger no matter what and Merril's questline must have gotten swapped somehow because the order I completed it didn't make sense.
- Revival. I'm not sure if revival is so suppose to be so overpowered. Given a high enough HP, the revived person will regenerate hp much faster than damage done.

Zeliard said:
He would be the perfect example of a JRPG lead if the person designing him had only ever played one JRPG.

It's just bad writing to everyone else.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
ShockingAlberto said:
He would be the perfect example of a JRPG lead if the person designing him had only ever played one JRPG.

I think that's asking a bit much of most game writers, let alone BW's.

I'm about 2 hours into Act 3 and I've played for 25 hours on Normal. I've done every single side quest/companion mission that popped up or I encountered.

I'm having a blast and can't wait to play through on Hard with a dual-wielding rogue Hawke.

Synless

Does anyone have that site posted a week or two ago w/ the unique armor guide? There was a really good one that was well organized, the ones I've found are a mess.

Fuck this game, fuck it in the ass
Bethany was killed in the deep roads, no intro about an attack and how they stab her or some shit, no warning, no I can change this, no nothing. Only some shit in the face and bye.
My best healer and cast big spells is gone for good. And one of the less anoying characters.
And I know the game takes her away also if you leave her behind, but at least you can save her at the end it seems.
And the fucking game erased the auto saved I had before the mission
I will not use anders, mother fucking whiny son of a bitch, and the elf chic is a fucking useless mage.

Fuck you Bioware! I lost 6 hours of my life.
What and incompetent shitty second rate team did dragon age 2? the fucking Bioware office sweepers?
Im not going to play this game in some time, I have too much anger with it right now.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Fuck this game, fuck it in the ass
Bethany was killed in the deep roads, no intro about an attack and how they stab her or some shit, no warning, no I can change this, no nothing. Only some shit in the face and bye.
My best healer and cast big spells is gone for good. And one of the less anoying characters.
And I know the game takes her away also if you leave her behind, but at least you can save her at the end it seems.
And the fucking game erased the auto saved I had before the mission
I will not use anders, mother fucking whiny son of a bitch, and the elf chic is a fucking useless mage.

Fuck you Bioware! I lost 6 hours of my life.
What and incompetent shitty second rate team did dragon age 2? the fucking Bioware office sweepers?
Im not going to play this game in some time, I have too much anger with it right now.

Your mother warned you!

And like you said, she's gone no matter what, so I'm not sure why you "lost 6 hours". Are you really going to replay the whole game to slightly change the fate of a character you'll see again maybe twice?

Or are you just done with the game entirely? It'd probably be for the best if you're this mad at this specific part of the game, you'd probably hurt yourself or those around you once you got to Act III.

HadesGigas said:
Your mother warned you!

And like you said, she's gone no matter what, so I'm not sure why you "lost 6 hours". Are you really going to replay the whole game to slightly change the fate of a character you'll see again maybe twice?

Or are you just done with the game entirely? It'd probably be for the best if you're this mad at this specific part of the game, you'd probably hurt yourself or those around you once you got to Act III.

Shitty warning, I supposed that if I
leave Beathany behind she would be killed by the soldiers, or be in a prison, and thats what seems to happen
You dont make a decission, the game decides for you, thats as shitty as it gets, not even an intro of why
she turns ill, did they not remember to do it or something? She is ill... yeah, fucking how?
Also you can
use her with cheats in the PC version, and yeah, I would have repeted that part only to save her, but fucking game has erased my save

And you know why im angry
that they didnt give me a decission to save her or not?
Because nearly the rest of the characters are bad or mediocre. Both of the tanks are horrible, one is a whiny the other is an emo, fuck them both (if I knew them I would have been a warrior, not a rogue). Being a rogue fuck the other good or fun characters having them in my team, Isabella is fun, even not being my type of character, and Varric is the best of the bunch. Anders is a whiny son of a bitch, and while I like the elf chic's stupidity (makes me laugh), she is a bad mage (and its the only fucking character in the game with painted fingernails and I fucking hate that).
Are there new and better characters in the rest of the chapters, or this is it?

Whats wrong with the game having repercussions based on your choices? Or having things happen that may suck, but actually effect the narrative. Isn't that what people want from these games?

SpacePirate Ridley said:
leave Beathany behind she would be killed by the soldiers, or be in a prison, and thats what seems to happen
You dont make a decission, the game decides for you, thats as shitty as it gets, not even an intro of why
she turns ill, did they not remember to do it or something? She is ill... yeah, fucking how?
Also you can
use her with cheats in the PC version, and yeah, I would have repeted that part only to save her, but fucking game has erased my save

Because nearly the rest of the characters are bad or mediocre. Both of the tanks are horrible, one is a whiny the other is an emo, fuck them both (if I knew them I would have been a warrior, not a rogue). Being a rogue fuck the other good or fun characters having them in my team, Isabella is fun, even not being my type of character, and Varric is the best of the bunch. Anders is a whiny son of a bitch, and while I like the elf chic's stupidity (makes me laugh), she is a bad mage (and its the only fucking character in the game with painted fingernails and I fucking hate that).

In the prologue
Aveline's husband dies from the same thing, they explain it then. Darkspawn taint and all that. You actually can save her, but only if you brought Anders with you as well, he can have her become a Grey Warden instead (she still leaves for the rest of the game). Leaving her behind she's forced into the Circle.

The only other character you can get after Act I is Sebastian, he's the pay DLC/signiture edition content.

Rahxephon91 said:
Whats wrong with the game having repercussions based on your choices? Or having things happen that may suck, but actually effect the narrative. Isn't that what people want from these games?
When there are three highly distinct outcomes to a situation, but all of them result in exactly the same thing anyway, that is not good design, that's railroading. Your sibling can be left at home and get caught by the templars/join the templars (Carver joins, Bethany snatched up by), or you can take them on the Deep Roads where they die or Join the Grey Wardens (if you brought Anders with you).

ThoseDeafMutes said:
When there are three highly distinct outcomes to a situation, but all of them result in exactly the same thing anyway, that is not good design, that's railroading. Your sibling can be left at home and get caught by the templars/join the templars (Carver joins, Bethany snatched up by), or you can take them on the Deep Roads where they die or Join the Grey Wardens (if you brought Anders with you).
Yes and your choice effect what happens to her in the story. That's exactly the kind of choice I want in these games.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Also you can

James Rolfe, is that you?!

Rahxephon91 said:
Yes and your choice effect what happens to her in the story. That's exactly the kind of choice I want in these games.

The leave her home choice was horribly done, I thought. You'd think Hawke would at least visit or anything (like say go "fuck no" and stop it from happening). He doesn't even write her back when she sends a letter, what a douche.

Xilium

Rahxephon91 said:
I think the problem that others and myself have is that whenever you are given a choice in this game, the outcome of those choices is almost always exactly the same. The flavor text/scenes you get inbetween may be slightly different but it is mostly superficial. You only have to go back and replay some of the major scenes w/ opposite choices from the first time to realize just how little your choices matter. The
Bethany/Carver
decision at the end of act I is almost purely a cosmetic choice
(or they can die, which also doesn't change anything. Regardless, that character leaves your party).
That is how most of your choices in this game are.

Rahxephon91 said:

Rahxephon91 said:

No, its fucking badly done. Now play the witcher to see what actual decissions make changes to the characters, story, and hard ones to make.

When I played the witcher, characters could die in some way or another, or events change, giving you a dramatic feeling, but there was always a decission, and even if a character was going to die whatever you chose its was done ina much better way that the Deep Roads "decission".

For fucks sake, even Mass Effect 1 and 2 have better decissions than this game. I didnt want something like the witcher, I love ME 1 and 2, but Dragon Age 2 is just insanely bad..

HadesGigas said:
In the prologue
Aveline's husband dies from the same thing, they explain it then. Darkspawn taint and all that. You actually can save her, but only if you brought Anders with you as well, he can have her become a Grey Warden instead (she still leaves for the rest of the game). Leaving her behind she's forced into the Circle.

The only other character you can get after Act I is Sebastian, he's the pay DLC/signiture edition content.

Yes, but at least Aveline's husband was stabbed by a darkspawn. The thing is, you dont see anyting like that in the Deep Roads, just a cutscene
Hey bro, im ill.
But how the fuck was that
I fought darkspawn at the beginning of the deep roads mission, there are no more in the middle, and there are even several bosses. How the fuck could her survive all that time.
It was horribly done.

Is Sebastian any good? I have the signature edition.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Is Sebastian any good? I have the signature edition.

Fairly stereotypical churchy-type personality. I didn't use him much, Varric was the rogue archer I'd usually go with since he felt more connected to the story.

If you're playing with an anti-mage viewpoint he'd probably make a good companion.

Owzers

HadesGigas said:
Your mother warned you!

Don't stand near anything breakable. I rented the game and Act 3 made me feel like i was ripped off, mentally at least.

Top Bottom