• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Xilium said:
lol, that would be like saying JRPGs are really popular because Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest sell millions. FFXIII outsold every western RPG released in the past few years yet you would be hard pressed to find people that say the JRPG genre is popular amongst the mainstream.

A genre's success isn't defined solely by the games with the most money pumped into them.

Okay, add "in the west" to the front of my statement. Sorry for not putting in that hugely obvious qualifier.

kitzkozan

dalemurphy said:
BioWare and Bethesda ARE the market right now and they each have two successful franchises.

Two is better than one,but I would love to see more north american developer try their hands at making wrpg.Just like you had Square-Enix which went mainstream while everyone else was and is still niche in Japan as far as jrpg goes.

I am cautious toward Eidos Montreal,but am happy that they want to try making a fps/rpg hybrid.I want Obsidian to step up their game and make a game which can score good with critics (improve both the QA and polish please) and I want more newcomer taking a risk with an wrpg.At worse,I would glady accept more games like Borderlands. ;)

kai3345

Banned
dalemurphy said:
Give it a rest. It's not an action game. It can still be played the same way as the first game.
yeahok

i can't wait to zoom out to see everything in battle the situation, I also cant wait to trick out my party members with some sweet armor, best of all I can't wait to make story decisions without having to worry about shitty Paragon/Renegade.

oh wait

kitzkozan

Xilium said:
lol, that would be like saying JRPGs are really popular because Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest sell millions. FFXIII outsold every western RPG released in the past few years yet you would be hard pressed to find people that say the JRPG genre is popular amongst the mainstream.

A genre's success isn't defined solely by the games with the most money pumped into them.

Are you sure about that one? We have no official numbers as to how many copies of both Oblivion and Fallout 3 have been sold.My guess would be that both of them outsold FFXIII,especially if you count the game of the year edition.

Morrowind was mostly a PC hit and it sold 4+ million,so Oblivion and Fallout 3 must be 6-7+ million each at this stage.

GuitarAtomik said:
The combat really isn't that different. Giving console players the option of mashing out the combos as opposed to putting it on auto-attack does not make it an action game and that + the elimination of the iso camera are the two biggest differences.

The hyperbole in here is hilarious.
Biggest but not the only changes. I have no idea why you say its hyperbole to say that the combat system is not the same anymore.

IoCaster

WanderingWind said:
EDIT: Aw. He got banned? I liked that junior.

I had him on ignore from the third time he posted that same 'PC-Gaf Elitest' bullshit on day one. It was only a matter of time.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
kitzkozan said:
Two is better than one,but I would love to see more north american developer try their hands at making wrpg.Just like you had Square-Enix which went mainstream while everyone else was and is still niche in Japan as far as jrpg goes.

I am cautious toward Eidos Montreal,but am happy that they want to try making a fps/rpg hybrid.I want Obsidian to step up their game and make a game which can score good with critics (improve both the QA and polish please) and I want more newcomer taking a risk with an wrpg.At worse,I would glady accept more games like Borderlands. ;)

I want one AAA isometric, party based RPG.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone who cares about the actual game, Dragon Age 2 is discussed a bit in the latest PC Gamer UK podcast. The discussion starts around the 29:50 mark.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
dwebo said:
Nice, 200k in less than 24 hours. Real subtle.

And somehow I think getting 1 million people to spam their real life friends with DA2 marketing crap - for a book of poems, no less - is tad bit overly ambitious.
That one actually kind of makes sense since they started their TV ads yesterday which included an ad for the demo.

kai3345 said:
yeahok

i can't wait to zoom out to see everything in battle the situation, I also cant wait to trick out my party members with some sweet armor, best of all I can't wait to make story decisions without having to worry about shitty Paragon/Renegade.

oh wait

What does this have to do with whether it's an action game or not?

Also, you don't seem to understand the Paragon/Renegade stuff. Based on what I could tell in the demo, it's implemented in the same way as the first game where you have no inherent good/evil rating and your choices impact how much your party members like you or not. The only thing that I noticed that was different was that your conversation choices are now on a wheel and they explicitly spell out your intent instead of you having to read a line to understand your intent.

btw don't go to bioware's forums they're already full of people demanding that bioware let you sleep with your sister and how hot is the elf girl who looks like she's 16

EmCeeGramr said:
btw don't go to bioware's forums they're already full of people demanding that bioware let you sleep with your sister and how hot is the elf girl who looks like she's 16

Sooooooo, par for the course?

Nirolak said:
That one actually kind of makes sense since they started their TV ads yesterday which included an ad for the demo.
Also silver members of XBL should be getting access soon. Still none of this explains that 300k jump last week.

criesofthepast said:
EviLore should make all game OT's on GAF from now on.
But I wants to do the Skyrim OT. :(

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Yeah, I'm not doing that.
Me neither. BioWare really needs to give this shit a rest. I'll buy your game, BioWare, so just cut the crap already.

IoCaster

dalemurphy said:
Give it a rest. It's not an action game. It can still be played the same way as the first game.

You keep saying this shit and it's demonstrably not true. You'd be well advised to stop it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nirolak said:
Shhh, reasonable trains of thought are not meant not for this thread.

You foolish fools that are buying day one.
Real men like myself wait until the GOTY ULTIMATE PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE EDITION, with all the extra dlc and expansions drops.

Hixx

kai3345 said:
yeahok

oh wait

In Origins though, apart from Plate, every piece of armour was just a slight recolour of the same texture. My rogue basically looked the same from level 1 to level 33. As did Morrigan, Wynne, Leliana... the only ones who really differed were Alistair's tank kit and Oghren's in Awakening.

Even when I got Wade's super Drake Scale armour... it was a slight hue change of the armour I was already wearing.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
EmCeeGramr said:
"There is always a catch. Life is a catch! I suggest you catch it while you can."

chris avellone is shaking in his boots

Surprisingly, when read by Kate Mulgrew, this is not a shitty line. Amazing what good actors can do.

vocab

hanged-man_2.jpg

Dat tavern hotness

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
HixxSAFC said:
In Origins though, apart from Plate, every piece of armour was just a slight recolour of the same texture. My rogue basically looked the same from level 1 to level 33. As did Morrigan, Wynne, Leliana... the only ones who really differed were Alistair's tank kit and Oghren's in Awakening.

Even when I got Wade's super Drake Scale armour... it was a slight hue change of the armour I was already wearing.

Okay, well, this is just blatantly untrue.

Xilium

dalemurphy said:
Okay, add "in the west" to the front of my statement. Sorry for not putting in that hugely obvious qualifier.

How does that change anything? My point was you can't judge the popularity of a genre on a handful of games in that genre.

If you look at shooters, for instance, all but the absolute worst shooters that are released sell 1/2M copies. Nearly every one that is backed by a major publisher (aka. money) sells 1M+. It can be assumed from this that shooters are a popular, mainstream genre. The same cannot be said for WRPGs, or RPGs in general for that matter.

kitzkozan said:
Are you sure about that one? We have no official numbers as to how many copies of both Oblivion and Fallout 3 have been sold.My guess would be that both of them outsold FFXIII,especially if you count the game of the year edition.

Morrowind was mostly a PC hit and it sold 4+ million,so Oblivion and Fallout 3 must be 6-7+ million each at this stage.

I wasn't thinking as far back as Oblivion but that probably has outsold FFXIII by this point. Not sure about Fallout 3 but they're probably around the same (~6.5M). Though If you count steam/DD discount sales, I'm sure Fallout 3 edges out.

Zzoram

So is Bioware just making it look awful in previews trying to appeal to dudebros like they did with DAO? Is it actually a good game?

Hixx

WanderingWind said:
Okay, well, this is just blatantly untrue.

But it isn't. I'm staring at my character for 35 hours and there were like 3 different looks to the leather armour. There were loads of really nice looking plate stuff, loads. Cloth and leather, unless there was something wrong with my game, all looked incredibly similar.

edit: yeah the same texture thing is stupid and it was a lazy way of getting my point across, sorry.

Zzoram

So they seriously don't bother with better textures on PC? What the hell. Horribly muddy console texture shoulder pads during close up conversations is so awful.

Gvaz

Banned
Nirolak said:
Up until a few hours before they passed 1 million, which was like...before noon? it was ALMOST to 900k. Then suddenly around 1 it jumped to 1.1 million. AFAIK silver wasn't supposed to be able to start downloading until tomorrow, and before then it was moving really slowly in the last 24 hours.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
vocab said:
http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/hanged-man_2.jpg[img]

Dat tavern hotness[/QUOTE]
Okay, this isn't directed at DA2 specifically at all, but that pic really calls it out: what is it with 3D RPGs and everything being ludicrously out of scale? That tavern is as big as a warehouse.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Zzoram said:
So they seriously don't bother with better textures on PC? What the hell. Horribly muddy console texture shoulder pads during close up conversations is so awful.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the high-res textures were not included in the demo.

Gvaz

Banned
Jenga said:
dude is this real

like not an edit, an actual game screen?

christ
Yes, that is an actual demo screenshot.

Also the PC demo only comes with Medium textures. High is exactly the same filesize, meaning you can set it to high, but it's not actually higher res textures. The game goes up to Very High in retail.

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, this isn't directed at DA2 specifically at all, but that pic really calls it out: what is it with 3D RPGs and everything being ludicrously out of scale? That tavern is as big as a warehouse.
The Witcher? That game certainly had relatively small living spaces.

the original game was easily the most overhyped, blown out of proportion game i've ever had the displeasure of experiencing

i seriously do not get how anyone enjoyed that game. everything about it was just awful. it's up there with Assassins Creed for "most overrated game of all time"

dionysus

Yaldog
The_Technomancer said:

Also, I am not seeing a chimney or vent over the fireplace. Where does the smoke go?! Damnit Bioware, this is the last straw, I demand realistic ventilation in all environments!

Zzoram

Lostconfused said:
The Witcher? That game certainly had relatively small living spaces.

Ya peasant homes in The Witcher were pretty small. There were some big mansion type places in the richer areas, and the taverns were big but not insanely so.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
dionysus said:
Also, I am not seeing a chimney or vent over the fireplace. Where does the smoke go?! Damnit Bioware, this is the last straw, I demand realistic ventilation in all environments!
I dunno, it just really bothers me when all the doors (like, physical wooden doors with handles) are 12 feet tall, and the ceiling is as high as a fieldhouse.

Witcher was really good about that, now that I reflect on it.

dionysus

Yaldog
The_Technomancer said:
I dunno, it just really bothers me when all the doors (like, physical wooden doors with handles) are 14 feet tall, and the ceiling is as high as a fieldhouse.

Witcher was really good about that, now that I reflect on it.

Not making fun of you for calling it out. Games are just full of these type of inconsistancies, and they are fun to point out from time to time.

Top Bottom