• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Helmholtz

Just starting the game now. Is there any general consensus on a fun character race/class/background? I really suck at making characters and wouldn't mind GAF's opinion.

Mr Spliff

The game auto-saved right when I think something awesome was going to happen and then RROD. At least I know I can get it quickly dealt with tomorrow but being left on a cliffghangar like this overnight really sucks balls.

RPGCrazied

How far am i, if anyone knows?

Please tell me there is more after

uniting the clans, im on the dwarfs now.. ive done the elves, magi and the urn thing.. side with the dragon, lol. Is there more, or is that like the last battle? I'm only 22hours into the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so I decided to restart because 2H sucks major ass. I want GAFs opinion on this one.

Morrigan Mage (DPS)
Alistor Tank (1H Shield)
Wynne (Heal)

But what about my main character? I really don't want to fuck up again, I hated, hated, hated 2H. How about two mages (one being Morrigan)?

Well I just finished my first playthrough of the story. I loved the story, but I found the game itself to be riddled with bugs and framerate instability. Not that any of it hampered my enjoyment even a bit, as I've come to expect imperfect programming from Bioware. For those of you not playing as a mage right now I highly suggest all of you try a mage when you get the chance. Virulent Walking Bomb is so much fun to use, especially when you are able to make a whole group of enemies blow up together.

Y2Kev said:
I think I'm done with the fade garbage. I also think I may have fucked a
demon
Don't worry about it. Its only a small part of the game.
Seiken said:
Okay so I decided to restart because 2H sucks major ass. I want GAFs opinion on this one.

Morrigan Mage (DPS)
Alistor Tank (1H Shield)
Wynne (Heal)

But what about my main character? I really don't want to fuck up again, I hated, hated, hated 2H. How about two mages (one being Morrigan)?
Dicey I would say. The moment a group of enemies breaks of from Alister, they are going to tear one of your 3 casters to shreds.

Jayge

The amount of chests I run into that I can't pick at all in Denerim and many other areas with level 3 lockpicking is ridiculous. If there are chests I still can't pick with my relatively high cunning at level 4 lockpicking I think I'll set fire to something :lol

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Helmholtz said:
Just starting the game now. Is there any general consensus on a fun character race/class/background? I really suck at making characters and wouldn't mind GAF's opinion.
Definitely try the Dwarf Noble background. Warrior or Rogue shouldn't matter, but that origin is my favorite.

Banned
The Fade is fucking bullshit. Who the hell on the dev team thought that segment, compared to all the other stuff was a good idea?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The Fade is fucking bullshit. Who the hell on the dev team thought that segment, compared to all the other stuff was a good idea?
im not that far into the game yet but can you explain what the issue is without spoiling? ive heard lots of people say similar things.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
its ass sludge from planet ass poo

also, lostconfused: will the decision not to fight come back to haunt me?

Urgent help needed regarding the night mission in redcliffe:

Am defending the town at night, I was with the nights then got called down to defend against what was coming from the lake. I beat all them now I've been running around for about an hour and nothing is happening. Infinitely spawning enemies are still up with the knights. Am I supposed to go to a specific location or have I hit a bug?

Y2Kev said:
its ass sludge from planet ass poo

also, lostconfused: will the decision not to fight come back to haunt me?
Honestly I can't say. I try to kill all the demons i come across.

But on a brighter note. Dogs, trees, marking their territory, why haven't i figured this out until now.

Edit: The way you handle
the demon at red cliff
is probably more important story wise than any of the ones in the circle's tower. But this is only a guess.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lostconfused said:
Don't worry about it. Its only a small part of the game.

Dicey I would say. The moment a group of enemies breaks of from Alister, they are going to tear one of your 3 casters to shreds.
Then please help me :(

TheFallen

Seiken said:

Morrigan Mage (DPS)
Alistor Tank (1H Shield)
Wynne (Heal)

Hmmm... my 2H warrior rapes shit at lvl 11. How far were you in? You get some ridiculous dps if you stack the strength and nothing else. The AOE attack is awesome and the Critical Blow attack is probably the highest damaging ability in the game I've seen so far. Behind enemies, he can take them down fairly quickly.

Group make up is Morrigan (Cold/Entropy), Alistor (Sword and Board), Wynne (Creation) btw.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Another question on the fade:

Can all of the
+1 permanent bonuses I'm currently collecting while in the Fade only be collected by me? I have a sneaking suspicion all those willpower or cunnings I'm getting on a warrior aren't meant especially for me....

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Seiken said:

Morrigan Mage (DPS)
Alistor Tank (1H Shield)
Wynne (Heal)

What did you dislike so much about 2-hand weapons?

Zertez

Darkman M said:
The Hardcover LE guide is really nice..

over 400 pages
Does you guide lie flat when closed? Mine is sort of warped along with some of the pages. It is like it has water damage or the paper deformed with the ink of the paper. Fallout 3 LE guide was the same way. The book doesnt close all the way, which is kind of odd for a new book.

Seiken said:
Well with only 4 party members I would say redundancy is not something you can afford in this game unless you are serious about it. I mean magic is pretty powerful so if you play smart I am sure you will be fine with 3 casters in your group. But the orthodox choice would be a rogue for the trap disarming, lock picking, thieving and the backstabbing.

Aptos

Darkman M said:
The Hardcover LE guide is really nice..

over 400 pages

How useful is it? Contemplating ordering it off Amazon for $20, instead of buying at my local gamestop for $35.99...

Okay i just finished the witcher and can now give this game my undivided attention.

Questions:

I plan on using Shale + Wynne + Morrigan + Rogue(myself), does this sound any good?

Can i build relationships and get quests from the NPCs if i do not take them with me?

If i build a rogue as utility, will he still be useful in battle?

voltron

I'm kinda stunned at th quality of th graphics. Th environments around towns an such look like fan renders.

Also where do I get th dlc armor I downloaded w/ the code in my game?

Darkman M

Zertez said:
Does you guide lie flat when closed? Mine is sort of warped along with some of the pages. It is like it has water damage or the paper deformed with the ink of the paper. Fallout 3 LE guide was the same way. The book doesnt close all the way, which is kind of odd for a new book.

That's odd mine is perfectly flat nothing of that sort.

Aptos said:
How useful is it? Contemplating ordering it off Amazon for $20, instead of buying at my local gamestop for $35.99...

It pretty much has everything you could ask for in a guide, i pretty much just use mine for secrets and sidequest though. It's probably the nicest guide ive ever bought.

Aptos

Darkman M said:
It pretty much has everything you could ask for in a guide, i pretty much just use mine for secrets and sidequest though. It's probably the nicest guide ive ever bought.

What about combat tactics? Or detailing some of the combat subsystems, like how certain abilities scale with stat increases? Or how much damage abilities do?

Darkman M

Aptos said:
What about combat tactics? Or detailing some of the combat subsystems, like how certain abilities scale with stat increases? Or how much damage abilities do?

combat tactics- Yes they go pretty deep into that i think, although i just skimmed over it.

As far as damage goes i would think that depends on your Level,Equipment & Enemies defense and Resistance. They do go into detail of every enemies class,rank and special ability's.

I can't tell you to much being the book is huge and ive only skimmed through it but i think it covers just about all there is to the game.

I plan on picking this up! I do not have a PC that can play this.. Is the 360 version still enjoyable?

question about framerate: if i absolutely loved mass effect and had no issues with the way it ran, do you think I will enjoy dragon age?

I have played every other bioware game on consoles and loved them all.

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
Not sure if I'm asking this correctly, but are there three totally different stories in this game that take place in the same world or do the origin stories merge and become one. It would be cool there were three different stories going on at the same time and possible influence the others but not have all the character meet.

TheFallen

JetBlackPanda said:
I plan on picking this up! I do not have a PC that can play this.. Is the 360 version still enjoyable?

question about framerate: if i absolutely loved mass effect and had not issues with the way it ran, do you think I will enjoy dragon age?

The 360 version is very enjoyable if you do not have the PC option. The framerate isn't perfect, but it's solid a majority of the time - and far better than Mass Effect's.

Tobor

JetBlackPanda said:

question about framerate: if i absolutely loved mass effect and had not issues with the way it ran, do you think I will enjoy dragon age?

The 360 version is fine. The textures aren't great, but the framerate is solid. No worries.

laserbeam

Banned
Sinatar said:
She starts with lvl 2 lockpicking which is nice.
Plus if you are buddy buddy with Morrigan it leads to morrigan getting very possessive of you and bickering with her while walking around

Silent Death said:
Not sure if I'm asking this correctly, but are there three totally different stories in this game that take place in the same world or do the origin stories merge and become one. It would be cool there were three different stories going on at the same time and possible influence the others but not have all the character meet.
Potential alternate universes. The story is about the new grey warden, only one of those in any of them.

Kipe

Seiken said:

My main is 2h so maybe you can do what I do. In the beginning I was sword and board and whenever I leveled I put three points into strength in order for my main to use the Blood Armor as soon as possible. Once I was decked out in full Blood Armor I switched to 2h I just tore everyone up.

lorddarkflare said:
Okay i just finished the witcher and can now give this game my undivided attention.

Questions:

I plan on using Shale + Wynne + Morrigan + Rogue(myself), does this sound any good?

Can i build relationships and get quests from the NPCs if i do not take them with me?

If i build a rogue as utility, will he still be useful in battle?

Anyone?

Y2Kev

Lostconfused said:
It really is the worst part of the game.
Yeah. :\

BTW, the demon I'm talking about is the Redcliffe one-- when you go inside
Connor, you get to the demon at the end. I was just messing around, but I ended up sleeping with the demon and it went away. I wanted to kill that bitch. I'm afraid I'm going to have to reload if there are serious consequences :\

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Y2Kev said:

Connor, you get to the demon at the end. I was just messing around, but I ended up sleeping with the demon and it went away. I wanted to kill that bitch. I'm afraid I'm going to have to reload if there are serious consequences :\
Nine Months later, You're going to get a really freaky child in a basket

FrankT

And done. Incredible game. Fade was certainly my low point however.

Y2Kev said:

Had no idea this was even possible heh.
I just stuck it to him.

LiK

wow, didn't know there was even MORE dialogue when you go back to the Party Camp. so totally unexpected. i have a fairly sizeable party now, woot. :D

btw, the mission for the Magi Tower was fucking awesome... i really loved the whole atmosphere and switching between powers.

Y2Kev said:

wow, didn't know that happened. i chose
Irving
to go in and it was pretty much automatic to
kill the demon, i didn't really have a lot of options. btw, those demons are so friggin' sexy :lol

Y2Kev

Is the freaky
child in a basket just kind of a gag? and doesn't impact anything else? like i won't get a shitty ending?

I'm fine with that, it would even be kind of lighthearted. I don't want to reload my game and do the shitty Fade over again. If I had to do that...

WELL I GUESS YOU COULD SAY THE GAME WOULD FADE FROM MY 360

HUAHAUHA

"And now we have a dog. And Alistair is still the stupidest member of the party."

:bow morrigan :bow2

Zzoram

I'm hoping that when I start to play on Easy (PC version) that I can breeze through combat and spend 90% of the time in this game talking to people. I'm only going to do all the origins once, and carry my favourite through to a full game. I've got a City Elf Rogue at Lothering but I want to finish all the other origins before I commit. Knowing how Alistair and Morrigan are spec'd helps me avoid overlap in my own character.

Zzoram said:
I'm hoping that when I start to play on Easy (PC version) that I can breeze through combat and spend 90% of the time in this game talking to people.
Unfortunately things won't be like that even on easy. Dungeons are pretty long in this game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game loves putting you against ridiculously overwhelming odds :-/

edit: FUCK THOSE BANDITS. 2 perfectly executed Cone of Cold + Acid bombs. So excellent.

MrHicks

Banned
the story just doesnt do it for me
the whole world itself has allot of history and feel behind it....atleast thats something
but the actual plot so far screams "generic!!"

the dwarves and their deep roads (LOTR anyone?....that balrog area)
darkspawn that look like orcs 80% of the time
the elves and their forests
the stereotypical medieval human society with its mages and knights

all of the cookie cutter classes and skills....ZZZzzz

DEJA VU ahoy
extremely overhyped this is the last fucking time i'm visiting review websites
it seems anything that isn't complete shit is either a 8/10 or 9/10 game and a GOTY candidate by default

console version for those who care (although this doesn't matter in this case)

Top Bottom