• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

TheFallen

LiK said:
wow, didn't know that happened. i chose
Irving
to go in and it was pretty much automatic to
kill the demon, i didn't really have a lot of options. btw, those demons are so friggin' sexy :lol
Wait... how did you
get the first enchanter to go in? When I went to go get the Circle of Magi's help to save the boy they were under control of the demons and Irving was killed by the lead Blood Mage (boss). I had to send in Morrigan and sacrifice the mom since no Mages were alive to help.

MrHicks said:
the story just doesnt do it for me
the whole world itself has allot of history and feel behind it....atleast thats something
but the actual plot so far screams "generic!!"
What were you expecting? Go play Too Human if you don't like Tolkien inspired fantasy.

markot

Banned
TheFallen said:
Wait... how did you
get the first enchanter to go in? When I went to go get the Circle of Magi's help to save the boy they were under control of the demons and Irving was killed by the lead Blood Mage (boss). I had to send in Morrigan and sacrifice the mom since no Mages were alive to help.
he didnt die for me >.< did you use that book thingy to stop the boss from transforming more mages?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's with all of the fade hate? I really enjoyed that part although it was a tad drawn out.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

TheFallen

markot said:
he didnt die for me >.< did you use that book thingy to stop the boss from transforming more mages?
They said to use it, but I didn't think I had to do anything special (didn't think it was in my inventory to use) Damn, guess that was the reason. Oh well. Alistair was pissed as hell at the end result. -27 approval.

Mindlog

Did they really have to give the drakes that little yelp when they die :(

Sounds like kicking puppies.

Also, do you get better armor from Wynn when you pay him. After giving him some scales of course.

MrHicks

Banned
TheFallen said:
What were you expecting? Go play Too Human if you don't like Tolkien inspired fantasy.

what was i expecting?
dude there was this hype around that bioware was working on the story/universe for YEARS and YEARS and YEAAAAAARS

i expected something a little more then this LOTR copy/paste job

Still love the game, but it is generic. The battle of the Grey Wardens, in which
Duncan dies
might as well be straight out of LOTR. The scared, outnumbered humans versing the terrifying army that outnumbers them completely. Then the army thats supposed to charge in from the flank and save the day.

I mean come on.

markot

Banned
TheFallen said:
They said to use it, but I didn't think I had to do anything special (didn't think it was in my inventory to use) Damn, guess that was the reason. Oh well. Alistair was pissed as hell at the end result. -27 approval.
you had toe use the book each time he tried to convert a mage, stopped it and he didnt do it so often so you could stop each one after the cool down on the book was up, it also meant you didnt need to fight anymore abomination dudes!

There are so many ways to do the stuff there though, which is cool. I figured he was a pretty major character, so knowing he can just die is pretty cool from a 'chose your own adventure' point of view.

Himuro said:
Yes, LOTR is the only fantasy story where orcs fight humans.

And no one saved the day, what are you talking about?

Hence the supposed. The entire scene down to the cinematography was very similar. In fact i'm half convinced its supposed to be a subversion of the genre's cliches, but I can't give it that much credit.

LiK

TheFallen said:

ohhh,
i didn't know he would die if you didn't use the book. i just used it so that guy would stop summoning those damn dudes. that was a tough boss fight.

and in order to get Irving to go, i had enough skill to Persuade him so that worked out. might as well get the main dude to do it :lol

Fredescu

The world definitely lacks a certain uniqueness. I can appreciate that if you were going into this expecting to be immersed in a unique world you might come out a little disappointed. I'd say that might explain the Eurogamer review. It's just that every other part of the game is so awesome that it could be set on seasame st and I wouldn't care.

Leckan

MrHicks said:
the story just doesnt do it for me
the whole world itself has allot of history and feel behind it....atleast thats something
but the actual plot so far screams "generic!!"

the dwarves and their deep roads (LOTR anyone?....that balrog area)
darkspawn that look like orcs 80% of the time
the elves and their forests
the stereotypical medieval human society with its mages and knights

all of the cookie cutter classes and skills....ZZZzzz

DEJA VU ahoy
extremely overhyped this is the last fucking time i'm visiting review websites
it seems anything that isn't complete shit is either a 8/10 or 9/10 game and a GOTY candidate by default

console version for those who care (although this doesn't matter in this case)

Maybe you should have read Eurogamer's review for the console version before then. They were quite harsh with it. I'm still early in the game but I have to admit it sometimes feels like you're playing "LOTR: Origins".

TheFallen

markot said:
There are so many ways to do the stuff there though, which is cool. I figured he was a pretty major character, so knowing he can just die is pretty cool from a 'chose your own adventure' point of view.
Yea, I am noticing this increasingly within the game. Most larger quests have 2-5 outcome possibilities with many different repercussions. Should provide plenty of unique experiences for multiple playthroughs.

LiK said:
ohhh,
i didn't know he would die if you didn't use the book. i just used it so that guy would stop summoning those damn dudes. that was a tough boss fight.

and in order to get Irving to go, i had enough skill to Persuade him so that worked out. might as well get the main dude to do it :lol
So does that allow you to just skip the second Fade quest? I had to go into the Fade again as Morrigan to separate the demon from the boy. Wasn't as ridiculous as the Circle of Magi fade part, but if that was optional in that matter, very cool.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
_tetsuo_ said:
This game loves putting you against ridiculously overwhelming odds :-/

edit: FUCK THOSE BANDITS. 2 perfectly executed Cone of Cold + Acid bombs. So excellent.

Yes, yes it does. Is the rogue class supposed to be the weakest of all of them? Because I'm getting my ass handed to me in every battle where there are more than 5 enemies, and I'm not sure if I have enough potions to stay alive all the time(my mages, sometimes, are too slow to heal) :/

LiK

TheFallen said:
Yea, I am noticing this increasingly within the game. Most larger quests have 2-5 outcome possibilities with many different repercussions. Should provide plenty of unique experiences for multiple playthroughs.

yea, sooo many possibilities with soooo much optional dialogue and quests. it's really amazing how much content they put in that most people won't experience. jam packed! :D

markot

Banned
What should they have done? What hasnt been done before?

Pretty much all fantasy draws on tolkein. The small party adventuring through impossible odds to save the planet. Its like... what all fantasy is based on.

I think, having done the quests, listened to the characters, bioware has done a great job at making the world alive and full of history and so forth. It doesnt revolutionise the genre, it was never meant to. Its fan service to an extent, a throw back to fantasy and rpgs of the old days.

markot said:

Pretty much all fantasy draws on tolkein.

Its perfectly possible to create a world that isn't Humans, Elves, Dwarves facing Orcs, Goblins and Dragons. Its not just that, the execution of the world gives it a very generic looking fantasy vibe.

LiK

TheFallen said:

So does that allow you to just skip the second Fade quest? I had to go into the Fade again as Morrigan to separate the demon from the boy. Wasn't as ridiculous as the Circle of Magi fade part, but if that was optional in that matter, very cool.

yea, Irving still had to go into the Fade and talk with Conor. i was able to control him directly but the dialogue options were either Talk or Kill. there weren't any other options for me to mess with. i was thinking of sending Jowa since it was his fault but i thought Iriving would be more powerful since i had that option. not sure if it made any difference.

i really loved the whole Circle of Maji part. i guess maybe i'm the minority here. it was really fun for me. maybe it's because i'm a Human Warrior so the battles were easier.

Leckan

markot said:

Pretty much all fantasy draws on tolkein. The small party adventuring through impossible odds to save the planet. Its like... what all fantasy is based on.

I think, having done the quests, listened to the characters, bioware has done a great job at making the world alive and full of history and so forth. It doesnt revolutionise the genre, it was never meant to. Its fan service to an extent, a throw back to fantasy and rpgs of the old days.

Yes but early in the game it's straight out of Helm's deep not to mention fighting in the forest reminded me of the scene of the Uruk-hais that Boromir and the hobbits fought. It's barely even subtle. Obviously if you like the movies then there's no problem. I have no problem with the game itself but I found it a bit jarring.

Just finished the game and I have to say I was slightly disappointed. I can't believe at the end the game pulled a fallout 3(before broken steel). Meaning you can't continue playing after you beat the game.
There is dlc content you can do after but all the quests that you didn't finish before you beat the game just gets cancelled.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, very Tolkien-esque right down to the Orcs and impossible odds and shit.

Still...it WAS what I was expecting.

Game is still pretty fucked up with the way it handled DLC and the constant battles where you're outnumbered. I don't mind if it's once in a while where you're outnumbered and have to fight to survive...but the dwarven quests? Fucking insane...

Himuro said:
Helm's Deep? The only allusion I can think of to Helm's Deep is that a king is in charge of the assault. The circumstances are entirely different. Helm's Deep was a defensive battle for the humans under the rule of Theoden. There were mass armies, they were severely outnumbered and there were numerous refugees and a lot at stake.

In Dragon Age, they are attacking a big mass of Dark Spawn, but it's nowhere near as threatening at the orc horde in Helm's Deep. In fact, the human/gray warden's assault is offensive in nature!

If you don't think that scene was pretty much just Helms Deep you are obviously defending the game beyond its merits. Is it great? Sure. But its borrows heavily from some very prolific fantasy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
MrHicks said:
what was i expecting?
dude there was this hype around that bioware was working on the story/universe for YEARS and YEARS and YEAAAAAARS

i expected something a little more then this LOTR copy/paste job

Well it isn't...

GSG Flash said:
Yes, yes it does. Is the rogue class supposed to be the weakest of all of them? Because I'm getting my ass handed to me in every battle where there are more than 5 enemies, and I'm not sure if I have enough potions to stay alive all the time(my mages, sometimes, are too slow to heal) :/

Traps and poisons, my friend. Traps and poisons.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
As goes the rules. Anything fantasy will remind people of either LOTR or Dungeons and Dragons. Anything Sci-Fi will remind people of Star Wars, Aliens, Starship Troopers (if their are bugs) or Blade Runner. People will never be able to let these go.

TheHeretic said:
If you don't think that scene was pretty much just Helms Deep you are obviously defending the game beyond its merits. Is it great? Sure. But its borrows heavily from some very prolific fantasy.

It's not even close to Helm's Deep. The only thing resembling it is that you get images of the two fantasy armies about to square off. After that, it's not even remotely similar.

Did anyone run into the superman cutscene yet?
About a boy falling to fereldon in a meteor? Apparently an old couple got the boy and your character get there to gather meteor ore samples to take to a smithy who can make armor or a weapon out of it...u;ltimate weapon?

It triggers on your way to lothering from denerim or redcliffe.

Kintaro said:
As goes the rules. Anything fantasy will remind people of either LOTR or Dungeons and Dragons. Anything Sci-Fi will remind people of Star Wars, Aliens, Starship Troopers (if their are bugs) or Blade Runner. People will never be able to let these go.

If fantasy didn't borrow so heavily from those foundations there would be lesser grounds to make comparisons.

Leckan

Himuro said:
Helm's Deep? The only allusion I can think of to Helm's Deep is that a king is in charge of the assault. The circumstances are entirely different. Helm's Deep was a defensive battle for the humans under the rule of Theoden. There were mass armies, they were severely outnumbered and there were numerous refugees and a lot at stake.

In Dragon Age, they are attacking a big mass of Dark Spawn, but it's nowhere near as threatening at the orc horde in Helm's Deep. In fact, the human/gray warden's assault is offensive in nature!

Yes, yes they were different but come on. The rain in the night, the close-ups of the archers before the battle, the Orcs/darkspawn on the horizon with the fire, the grinning etc. Just the way it was shot really reminded me of it is all.

Himuro said:
My argument is that most fantasy borrows from "prolific" fantasy, and I don't give a shit enough to care, and I don't see why anyone else gives a shit enough to raise a stink because of their own untempered expectations of a video game story, which - gasp - tend to be generic 99% of the time anyways.

Then the dispute isn't that its derivative, its an issue of importance. If thats your position stop trying to have your cake and eat it too by claiming it isn't derivative and simultaneously that it wouldn't matter if it did.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
TheHeretic said:
If fantasy didn't borrow so heavily from those foundations there would be lesser grounds to make comparisons.

Considering LOTR is a legendary work in which all things fantasy will be compared, there's no possible way anything fantasy won't be compared to them. Same goes for Dungeons and Dragons in which the RPG system in any game will always draw comparison to.

How do you find joy in any story in 2009 since all of them are merely influences from stories already told? Especially video game stories.

Swag

Revelations said:
I can't be the only one who encountered this can I? Who would I take the meteorite ore to for a special smithy job.

I got that too, no clue though. I'm just going to assume it's someone in the dwarf city

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Revelations said:
I can't be the only one who encountered this can I? Who would I take the meteorite ore to for a special smithy job.

Yeah, I got it too.

Are traps really THAT good? Man...maybe I should invest some points in it then. I did put some into poison, but I didn't make anything game changing. And the recipes are an arm and leg. Though I admin Stealth + bombs, would be pretty scary considering there's a skill to leave you undetected after using items...and you can use different bombs...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this game, out of all the games I've bought this holiday season, it was the one I felt most unsure of so far. I'm only 17 hours in but the is most likely my GOTY. By the way...I'm pretty sure that I just met a Dwarf with Wrex's voice, the little bastard sounded just like him.

Ruzai

Revelations said:

I had the option to give the ore to a smith
in Warden's Keep after clearing the quest there. He gave me a choice between a longsword or a two-hander.
Didn't run into anyone one else willing to take it.

Tobor

The general audience, the audience Bioware is making games for, want the familiar.

The reference was made yesterday, but this is comfort food. Expecting a gourmet meal is unrealistic.

Ruzai said:
in Warden's Keep after clearing the quest there. He gave me a choice between a longsword or a two-hander.

Did it make some sort of godly weapon? What's the stats? I mean assuming its alien metal from space! It had to make something awesome right?

Dipper145

Visceir said:
Probably a stupid question but...how the hell do you get out of Denerim? I can't find the exit :(
I was in the market when I went to the city map, change from like local map to world map near the bottom of the thing that pops up. Took me a while too.

Ruzai

Revelations said:
Did it make some sort of godly weapon? What's the stats? I mean assuming its alien metal from space! It had to make something awesome right?

I don't remember the exact stats, but it does outshine any of my current equipment. It also has a strength requirement of around 32, so I won't be able to put it to use for quite a while.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
some more shots:

4081753715_12c2b97259_b.jpg

4081753771_2c85853688_b.jpg

4081753745_8176e3eb47_b.jpg

Ruzai said:

Ah yes, Starfang if you went for longsword. It's alright. The 3 enchantment slots
are good since Im still so early in the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Revelations said:
Did anyone run into the superman cutscene yet?
About a boy falling to fereldon in a meteor? Apparently an old couple got the boy and your character get there to gather meteor ore samples to take to a smithy who can make armor or a weapon out of it...u;ltimate weapon?

It triggers on your way to lothering from denerim or redcliffe.

I just triggered this event like 5 minutes ago. I think the
smithy
that you need is at Warden's Keep (assuming you have completed the adventure there). I'm going to go check on it in a few minutes.

KGKK

Banned
Okay I know the PS3/360 is the PC's bitch and all and I fully surrender my ass for spanking from the PC, however is the PS3/360 version worth playing if you generally enjoy RPG's/Oblivion/KOTR?

I have to agree on one point, saying some one is ripping of Tolkien is like saying some one is writing a fantasy story. The reverse of that is equally true.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't share the hate of the game lore with some of you. I personally find the world to be very fleshed out and well realized. Sure it is quite obviously heavily influenced by Tolkein and George R. R. Martin, but I don't mind that at all. There are a lot of unique things about Dragon Age that set it apart from those worlds and make it very enjoyable in my opinion. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, though.

Top Bottom