• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Cohsae

markot said:
Something about the game 'looks' wrong >_<

I dont know, I think its the lighting... but it just makes things look... a little funky. The characters dont blend into the environment, they stand out too much.
Isn't characters standing out a good thing? At least from a design standpoint.

markot

Banned
I dont think so. It makes the characters seem 'on' the environment rather then 'in' the environment.

>.> I dont know. Just something about the vids. Maybe im just crazy.

MMaRsu

In all honesty, how is the 360 version? I mean.. has anybody played it?

I want to pick this up but I'm not sure..

Justinian

markot said:
I dont think so. It makes the characters seem 'on' the environment rather then 'in' the environment.

>.> I dont know. Just something about the vids. Maybe im just crazy.

Don't you think characters blending in to the environment would be a very bad thing?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
About the characters standing out, every time i see a trailer with a group of people talking im reminded of the animatronic Chuck E Cheese Band. Thats what makes the sex scenes so freaking creepy. Its like watching a 70s Cylon swingers party. Its not natural.

i think i might have to dust off the credit card and actually get this on release. Game looks leagues better now that non-Bioware/EA marketing people are releasing videos.

I love the fact that they are going for the legendary "feel" of this game:

-Witch of the Wilds
-The Grey Wardens
-Paragons
-Magi and their curse
-Golden City/Black City

Really makes it feel like you are experiencing things that will be remembered for centuries to come. If they pull it off and flesh out the above things (instead of doing crap "be a good guy, defeat the bad boss, yay, you win"). Esp. the Magi theme can be expanded on seeing as the Blight
is commanded by Archdemon, and the Magi were rumored to be the first Darkspawn
. I'm REALLY HOPING for a showdown between player character and
one of the first Magi that went to Golden City
. That would be epic.

C'mon Bioware, it's 10 years now since Torment reigns supreme on cRPG throne. Time for some serious challenger!

markot

Banned
I dont mean camoflauge >_<

I mean as in... the lighting fits the character and the environment. The armour is so shiny in bits that it doesnt fit the environment. It makes the characters stand out toooooo much.

Maybe its just teh shiney armour distracting me... its so shiney...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Earlier in the thread I thought I saw a link to the Dragon age back story a wiki page maybe. Anyhow I'm having trouble finding that link now.

Can someone re-post it please?

DietRob

xelios said:

Yep that will work thanks. Just looking for some reading material for today's boring day at work. I'm embarrassed I didn't just look on the main page myself but I could have sworn it was a wiki. Coming from the main page seems more reliable though.

Fredescu

RPGCrazied said:
I think we are talking about performance.. not impressions. like stuttering, screen tearing or fps loss
Ctrl+F Caspel.

"I've logged in 22 hrs on the Xbox 360 version and I'm still loving it."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18226231&postcount=214

"The 360 version is as polished as I could imagine. A few clipping problems, framerate has never bogged down, a few times the voices went silent while the characters were still animated. Since the 360 version can't zoom out, I can't really compare the two since I played the PC version from the isometric view. PC version did look better, but it's hard to compare when the view points are drastically different."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18236721&postcount=329

Anyone know if you'll be able to pre-load this via Steam? I got an email from D2D saying they'll be offering pre-load's from November 2nd, but I bought my copy on Steam.

markot said:
Something about the game 'looks' wrong >_<

I dont know, I think its the lighting... but it just makes things look... a little funky. The characters dont blend into the environment, they stand out too much.

where2look.gif

I'm completely at a loss as to what this post means.

Liberty4all

Banned
jabipun said:
Install the game on your 360 HDD before you play. I know room may be an issue if you have the regular 10 gig, but I'm sure there is a bunch of crap you can delete (i.e, dlc of games you don't play, videos, trailers, demo's etc. etc.)

It improves loading and most importantly, saves your drive and puts less stress on your 360 all around. Not to mention quieter.

I also, have a well grounded - yet still an assumption, that with most multiplatform games the 360 version may edge out the ps3 version. The 360 version is coming out sooner to boot.

Unfortunately I've had HDD space issues for a couple years now and I'm so sick of trying to juggle things around. Sadly the larger HDD is a ridiculous 140 CDN dollars which I refuse to pay.

I think they announced that the PS3 version is releasing the same day as 360 and PC after all. My PS3 runs like a champ and has oodles of Hard drive space.

I do prefer the 360 controller, but powering up the system it sounds like an old man on the verge of death =(. The pre order stuff doesn't sound too special, I may wait a couple days after release to find out if the PS3 version is gimped or not.

For anyone else that preordered the 360/PC version from Amazon, I just got this email:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank you for your Dragon Age: Origins pre-order. You might like to know that you can now get Release-Date Delivery, for the Xbox 360 or PC versions, by upgrading your shipping speed. This shipping option is free for Prime members or costs just $5.98. Restrictions apply.*

Follow these steps by Sunday, November 1 to get this item on its release date, Tuesday, November 3:

1) Visit Your Account
2) Choose "Open and recently shipped orders"
3) Find your Dragon Age: Origins order
4) Cancel this portion of your order
5) Reorder Dragon Age: Origins with the game as the only item in your cart
6) Choose Release-Date Delivery as your shipping option
I followed the instructions, and now I'm set up for release date shipping w/ all of the pre-order bonuses and the $10 off a future purchase intact.

HiResDes

I realize I'm extremely late to the whole leveling debate, but I really think Oblivion's level-scaling is overblown. If you leveled correctly in Oblivion, and spent a lot of time acquiring all of the best loot, the leveled enemies still felt puny in comparison.

TheFallen

HiResDes said:
I realize I'm extremely late to the whole leveling debate, but I really think Oblivion's level-scaling is overblown. If you leveled correctly in Oblivion, and spent a lot of time acquiring all of the best loot, the leveled enemies still felt puny in comparison.
Most of us here on GAF turned the difficulty down in Oblivion, so regardless it didn't matter. Still, it's a discussion for another thread. This is about Dragon Age: Origins - and the scaling here makes more sense.

garath

It's unfortunate that the game is releasing on Tuesday instead of Monday. Monday is going to be a loooong day.

I hope the Steam pre-loading starts soon though. I'd like to play it as soon as I get home from work on Tuesday.

DietRob

[HP] said:
I got a PS3 version for free so... Is the port any good?

When it's free does it really matter? I'm sure it will be on par with the 360 version.

bengraven

Cornballer said:
For anyone else that preordered the 360/PC version from Amazon, I just got this email:I followed the instructions, and now I'm set up for release date shipping w/ all of the pre-order bonuses and the $10 off a future purchase intact.

Same. I couldn't wait two days for this thread to spoil the hell out of the game for me.

[HP] said:
I got a PS3 version for free so... Is the port any good?

It's worth more than you paid for it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
[HP] said:
lol, yes it matters cos if it sucks i can sell it and buy for PC! :)
Well if you have a pc that can play the game well, i would go that way just because of the mods. The pc version comes with a toolset.. think NWN series.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I might be going a little crazy, guys. On the neat paty-select screen during the Warden Quest I've noticed a new companion I think. Another Human fighter like Allistair but a little darker and seems to use two-handed weapons. Does this guy have a name and a backstory yet or am I just confused? He's also on the selection shots on the non-official wiki, and it's definately not Sten.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/File:Companions.jpg
Okay, here and fourth from the right. This isn't the PC is it?

Edit: Resemblance found in Slaylock's image, or coincidence?

Undeux

Are there any articles out there about how the console versions will work? I'm interested in the game, but there's no way I'll be able to play it on PC. I don't really care about the purist "it's meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard" attitude, I just want to know if it will be a total pain in the ass to control or not. :p

Thnikkaman said:
I might be going a little crazy, guys. On the neat paty-select screen during the Warden Quest I've noticed a new companion I think. Another Human fighter like Allistair but a little darker and seems to use two-handed weapons. Does this guy have a name and a backstory yet or am I just confused? He's also on the selection shots on the non-official wiki, and it's definately not Sten.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/File:Companions.jpg
Okay, here and fourth from the right. This isn't the PC is it?

Edit: Resemblance found in Slaylock's image, or coincidence?

The one you are talking about is Player's Character, so...you. YOu can see it one the second screen, he is the top "circle", which is reserved for PC.

Minsc

Gold Member
Undeux said:
Are there any articles out there about how the console versions will work? I'm interested in the game, but there's no way I'll be able to play it on PC. I don't really care about the purist "it's meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard" attitude, I just want to know if it will be a total pain in the ass to control or not. :p

It'll be fine, the game's pulling 90+ scores, the controls aren't going to be shit.

Of course, once the game's released, seeing 100s of super-high res AA'd screens from the PC version which will inevitably be posted in this thread (and later with mods), might tempt you more than you think ;)

garath

Undeux said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dragon-age-origins-360/17-1528/

Quick look for the 360 version. Looks fine. Just no isometric view.

FrankT

Lonesome_Raod said:
I played the 360 version at the Leeds Eurogamer Expo UK yesterday. The machines running it where in the same area as AvP and L4D2 so nobody seemed to want to come near the game. My brother and I played it well over 30 minutes before a few people had gathered to have a go and we politely handed the pad over.

I can't tell you anything you guys don't already know except that I came away very pleased with how it played on the console with a pad and that I am really excited to get it next week. The Mabari warhound is an brilliant party member too and the snarls it makes as it mauls enemies is fearsome!

That is what I like to hear.

Edit: Does anyone know if the retail versions are actually street dated for Tuesday or not?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I absolutely have no feel for whether or not the Deluxe Digital version is worth the extra $15. Has EA/Bioware released any kind of pricing and availability information on the DLC for this game? I have no interest in soundtracks, wallpapers, steel cases, or cloth maps, but I do want The Warden's Keep.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Minsc said:
It'll be fine, the game's pulling 90+ scores, the controls aren't going to be shit.

Of course, once the game's released, seeing 100s of super-high res AA'd screens from the PC version which will inevitably be posted in this thread (and later with mods), might tempt you more than you think ;)

I'm totally posting some uncompressed 1920x1200 videos

Doytch

DenogginizerOS said:
I absolutely have no feel for whether or not the Deluxe Digital version is worth the extra $15. Has EA/Bioware released any kind of pricing and availability information on the DLC for this game? I have no interest in soundtracks, wallpapers, steel cases, or cloth maps, but I do want The Warden's Keep.
I heard Warden's Keep was gonna be $7 as a standalone. So...might be cheaper to buy it alone.

Top Bottom