• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Doytch said:
I heard Warden's Keep was gonna be $7 as a standalone. So...might be cheaper to buy it alone.
I have several RZ coupons at Best Buy. As long as the Stone Prisoner is in new copies that are not preorders, I think I will just get the regular retail edition.

garath

DenogginizerOS said:
I have several RZ coupons at Best Buy. As long as the Stone Prisoner is in new copies that are not preorders, I think I will just get the regular retail edition.

Stone Prisoner should be in all copies. Warden's keep is definitely $7 download. The extras that comes with steam are all in-game items. So the question is if a bunch of in-game items are worth the extra ~$10

Minsc

Gold Member
_tetsuo_ said:
I'm totally posting some uncompressed 1920x1200 videos

safariwgifs.jpg

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
garath said:
Stone Prisoner should be in all copies. Warden's keep is definitely $7 download. The extras that comes with steam are all in-game items. So the question is if a bunch of in-game items are worth the extra ~$10
I really have no idea of the monetary or gameplay value of the DLC beyond Warden's Keep and The Stone Prisoner. I think I will just stick to the regular edition.

TheFallen

So what's the deal with all of the day one DLC and pre-order bonuses? Anywhere I can get a breakdown on each version (and pre-orders)? Sounds like the Warden's Keep is gonna be available free in the PC Digital Collectors Edition, but $7 for everyone else. What about the Golem and other content... sigh, ridiculously convoluted.

Durante

There are just 2 pieces of DLC that really matter, Warden's Keep and The Stone Prisoner. The latter will be free for everyone who buys the game new, $15 for everyone else. The former is only included with the digital CE, but just $7 bought separately.

(Personally, I've calculated that it will cost me 41€ to buy the retail standard edition and Warden's Keep, while the digital CE is 55€ here)

Ceebs

TheFallen said:
So what's the deal with all of the day one DLC and pre-order bonuses? Anywhere I can get a breakdown on each version (and pre-orders)? Sounds like the Warden's Keep is gonna be available free in the PC Digital Collectors Edition, but $7 for everyone else. What about the Golem and other content... sigh, ridiculously convoluted.

Stone Prisoner is free with all NEW copies of the game. If you buy it used it will run you 15 bucks.

Warden's Keep is $7 day one DLC. It comes with the Digital CE to make up for the physical extras you miss out on. Everyone else has to buy it separate.

All the other preorder stuff is in this chart:

Dragon-Age-Origins-Preorder-Contents-500x229.jpg

hermit7

So I have had the 360 CE preordered for quite a while, but I am contemplating cancelling and ordering the PS3 CE from the EA store. Is there any reason that I should not do this?

BTW the main reason I am contemplating this is my 360 is not near an internet connection, and I am not paying 100 dollars (80 used) for a wireless adapter.

Edit: Nevermind PS3 CE is sold out. Should I cancel the CE and just spring for the regular edition?

Durante

There hasn't been a lot of information on the PS3 version so far, but what has been said/seen implies that it's about the same as the 360 one. The PS3 version has the advantage that it may get some mod support.

(What you should actually do is order the PC version though :p)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
hermit7 said:
So I have had the 360 CE preordered for quite a while, but I am contemplating cancelling and ordering the PS3 CE from the EA store. Is there any reason that I should not do this?

BTW the main reason I am contemplating this is my 360 is not near an internet connection, and I am not paying 100 dollars (80 used) for a wireless adapter.

Edit: Nevermind PS3 CE is sold out. Should I cancel the CE and just spring for the regular edition?

Why would you need a constant internet connection?

hermit7

Number 2 said:
Why would you need a constant internet connection?

Not constant, but in order to download the Stone Prisoner you need to have it connected to the EA store. I don't think that its on the disc.

hermit7 said:
Which IMO is stupid, I would honestly rather it be an unlock code if it has been prepared long before the game went gold.

Then, the backlash would be "why are they making us pay for something that's on the disc." There is no winning in this situation.

Doytch

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Then, the backlash would be "why are they making us pay for something that's on the disc." There is no winning in this situation.
They're not. It's free. It's just to curb used sales, like the Gears 2 map pack and other crap like that.

Ceebs

While I am buying the PC version, the PS3 version's color looks better to me based on the screens they have shown. Are the saturation levels like this on every multi-platform game?

hermit7

Ended up cancelling the CE and ordering regular PS3 version. Total came to 61 w/shipping.

Yes I am a console peasant, but the last game that ran well on my PC was Republic Commando.:lol

jabipun

I've seen some videos and how come the combat animations look so janky? Like, the guy swinging the sword is swinging it without weight, and the guy getting hit from it is barely reacting to it?

Animation seems kind of shitty.

Doytch said:
They're not. It's free. It's just to curb used sales, like the Gears 2 map pack and other crap like that.

Isn't it free only if you get the special edition? I dunno, all the retailer exclusives for this game have me mixed up.

Doytch

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Isn't it free only if you get the special edition? I dunno, all the retailer exclusives for this game have me mixed up.
One is free with all new copies, the other is only with the digital download collectors edition.

LCfiner

jabipun said:
I've seen some videos and how come the combat animations look so janky? Like, the guy swinging the sword is swinging it without weight, and the guy getting hit from it is barely reacting to it?

that's just the way of the world for WRPG combat animations. They never looks quite right when compared to action games.

I guess it has to do with the die rolling going on behind the scenes.

jabipun

These are the bones for pre-orders (regular edition) correct?

so what's in the collectors edition?

LCfiner said:
that's just the way of the world for WRPG combat animations. They never looks quite right when compared to action games.

I guess it has to do with the die rolling going on behind the scenes.

I'm not saying the game needs to have that perfect feel, animation, ebb and flow like a pure action game like DMC or something, but I've noticed in all WRPG's, they seem to have the most inept animator in god's existence in the industry.

Understandably, in this type of game - you have a budget and a dev. time period, and there are things to focus (probably more important things) - but decent human animation at this point should be expected, and not something you cut corners on simply because all WRPG's have shit animation.

hermit7

Doytch said:
One is free with all new copies, the other is only with the digital download collectors edition.

Stone Prisoner is included with all new copies both regular and collector's edition.

Grey Warden is Day 1 DLC that costs 7$ for everyone except those that bought the Digital Deluxe Edition (which it comes free in).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
jabipun said:

They look fine to me.

bengraven

jabipun said:

These are the bones for pre-orders (regular edition) correct?

so what's in the collectors edition?

More shit.

I'm not saying the game needs to have that perfect feel, animation, ebb and flow like a pure action game like DMC or something, but I've noticed in all WRPG's, they seem to have the most inept animator in god's existence in the industry.

Understandably, in this type of game - you have a budget and a dev. time period, and there are things to focus (probably more important things) - but decent human animation at this point should be expected, and not something you cut corners on simply because all WRPG's have shit animation.

I wanted to insult you, but you a somewhat valid point.

That said, I'd take a deep, non-linear WRPG over a pretty JRPG any day.

jabipun

bengraven said:
More shit.

I wanted to insult you, but you a somewhat valid point.

That said, I'd take a deep, non-linear WRPG over a pretty JRPG any day.

I totally agree, which is why I'm not only getting this game but I'm also pre-ordering as well. Something I rarely do. (bonuses are cool too).

Unfortunately I have a Mac so I'll get the 360 version.

So, all that green highlighted crap for the pre-order bonus is for preordering the regular edition. The gamestop I called said they are no longer doing any collector's edition pre-orders.

Doytch

jabipun said:
I totally agree, which is why I'm not only getting this game but I'm also pre-ordering as well. Something I rarely do. (bonuses are cool too).

Unfortunately I have a Mac so I'll get the 360 version.

So, all that green highlighted crap for the pre-order bonus is for preordering the regular edition. The gamestop I called said they are no longer doing any collector's edition pre-orders.
No, that's a collectors edition chart.

jabipun

Doytch said:
No, that's a collectors edition chart.

Any place still taking pre-orders for the collectors edition? Be it in-store or online?

And on that chart - most of everything is just an equipable item right? (except for the one NPC and one Map - warden).

Most these items are low level items, no?

I'm asking this because if it's too much of a hassle I'll just get the regular edition.

Amneisac

Well, for me Pinnacle Station set an all time low for DLC offerings. Let's hope these little DLC goodies aren't anything that bad. I know they can do better, that's why it hurts.

JayDubya

Banned
I've noticed that many people refer to potential party members as NPCs. If you can, in fact, control them, then it isn't a very good or accurate term.

I'm not sure if there's a better, more standard way of referring to them, however. And in some of these games, I suppose you do only control your protagonist, making the title more apt.

In any event, Shale is a potential party member.

elbkhm

GDJustin said:
What is stone prisoner?

New quest DLC. Cut from the original release, they were able to finish it because of the delay and are releasing it alongside the game. All new copies of the game for the first few months are supposed to come with a download code for it. You'll be able to buy it separately for about $20.

Includes a new recruitable character, a big stone golem looking guy called Shale.

hermit7

GDJustin said:
What is stone prisoner?

Stone Prisoner is DLC, that provides an extra party member. He comes free with new copies, but is 15 dollars if you buy used.

Look at Caspel's impressions regarding him
Apparently he is really awesome as a party member

Edit: beaten

Zeliard

JayDubya said:
I've noticed that many people refer to potential party members as NPCs. If you can, in fact, control them, then it isn't a very good or accurate term.

I'm not sure if there's a better, more standard way of referring to them, however.

Isn't it just "playable characters"? :D

LCfiner

I just define the PC as the person who you control during conversation trees. that is typically one dude (or gal). everyone else, despite being able to control them in battle or move them around a map is a secondary character or NPC for me. (even though, yes, it does go against the strict definition of NPC)

Minsc

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
Isn't it just "playable characters"? :D

Yup. They're "PCs." Examples of a NPC would be akin to the helpers you get in Diablo 2, or Fallout where you can't really control them.

Zeliard

LCfiner said:
I just define the PC as the person who you control during conversation trees. that is typically one dude (or gal). everyone else, despite being able to control them in battle or move them around a map is a secondary character or NPC for me. (even though, yes, it does go against the strict definition of NPC)

They're simply playable party characters. The guy you create at the start and control during conversations and such is just the main protagonist.

I'm so hyped for this game. I've been looking forward to it since I read the Edge preview from 2 years ago. Unfortunately I'm a console peasant as well, '360 no less. But I do have the PC LE on order from Amazon as I plan to get a gaming PC next year to suppliment my Macbook Pro.

careksims

So... when will we be able to pre-load this baby? It's next Tues and lots of gigs to download... biggest game for me to d/l yet ^^;;;; Hopefully the weekend!?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ceebs said:

Sorry I need to vent really quick. This shit is fucking ridiculous. Pardon me for being a little old school but since when should I have to look at a damn chart to figure out where I want to buy a game. Nearly every time EA publishes a game it makes me want to wait a year for the GOTY edition before I buy it. Arrrghhh... sorry I'm not trying to derail this thread into a DLC good or bad thing I just needed to get that off my chest. For spite though I'm not buying the game from any retailer on that chart. I'll drive close to 15 miles to this small mom and pop I know instead. / end live journal rant.

Anyway I think there is plenty of content for me right now without all the extra bells and whistles of paid DLC. I'll rely on the mod community to provide me with all the DLC my heart desires FOR FREE. With the editor that they released you know the mod community is going to come up with some fantastic stuff. I really, truly can't wait to see what they come up with.

Top Bottom