• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Slavik81

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Some people just have really neutral accents. Like me, which is really hard to have growing up in the south. Anyone could tell I'm American of course, but people would be incredibly hard pressed to figure out what region I came from based on my voice. Of course as soon as I call any soft drink a coke, it's all over.
Canada? I know plenty of people who do that.

BanShunsaku said:
Upgraded my video card yesterday in preparation for DA:O.

Hoping I'll be able to max it out with a C2D E6850 @ 3.0 GHZ, GTX 260 896MB and 5GB RAM...
I would think the 260 is enough for any game these days.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Oh just great. I thought that this was a MMO and didn't even look at any screenshots, ever.. Now I just realized today that it's single player and looks pretty much perfect. More cash will leave my wallet in November. Sweet!

traveler

Not Wario
Stream sold me on the game. I absolutely love the look of this combat system.
Guess I should play BG2 at some point, huh?

traveler

Not Wario
Himuro said:
Yeah. It looks real akin to BG2 especially the emphasis on pausing mid-combat to devise or alter a strategy.

I know this won't be a compliment to many, but I mean it as such- the combat looks to me like (in addition to BG, obviously) a single player version of WoW's instances in which one can pause the runs to manage a whole party. In fact, I'd love to see if I could replicate some of the better 5-man instances in the game using the toolset and then try to run through them using the traditional tank/healer/3 dps (err.. 2 here, I guess- your party can only go to 4 right?) setup.

traveler

Not Wario
Himuro said:
I can see that. Did you see the giantbomb preview?

I saw the console one, but all I really remember from that was the whole question of whether the console version would have the tactics feature and a bunch of shenanigans involving underwear. :lol

traveler

Not Wario
Fredescu said:
I'd love a Blizzard single player party based RPG. I doubt it would ever happen though.

Warcraft 4? With the way things are going in WoW, it looks like Blizzard intends to tie up all the Azeroth story. What better way to reintroduce the franchise proper than further expand on the concepts introduced in WC3 and make it a true WRPG with a heavy emphasis on strategic management, complete with a brand new start to the fiction? (It'd also serve to differentiate the main franchise from Starcraft, which Warcraft always felt in danger of being overshadowed by to me. At least, before WoW)

Saige

I must do better.
I got the digital deluxe steam version of the game pre ordered already. Getting through the weekend thinking about this game is going to be hell.

One thing I want to know is how does Shale and the wardog handle talent points at a level up. I would assume they would have their own unique set of skills and maybe a unique skill tree since they don’t seem to fit into the any of the three basic classes but I can’t find any information on this.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I didnt realize the zoomed out view in this game was so natural looking. Looks like a 3d Baldurs Gate. Everyone on the live stream is playing in this view. Doesnt even exist in the console versions.

Id just like to see more footage of the console versions in something other than a cave.

epmode

Well, the combat is obviously pretty good. I'm still *really* worried about the adventuring aspect, although I haven't seen any videos of it.

Fredescu

traveler said:
Warcraft 4? With the way things are going in WoW, it looks like Blizzard intends to tie up all the Azeroth story. What better way to reintroduce the franchise proper than further expand on the concepts introduced in WC3 and make it a true WRPG with a heavy emphasis on strategic management, complete with a brand new start to the fiction? (It'd also serve to differentiate the main franchise from Starcraft, which Warcraft always felt in danger of being overshadowed by to me. At least, before WoW)
This makes too much sense to happen.

LCfiner

Fredescu said:
This is my favourite combat video, in case anyone didn't see me spamming it in the last thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmM4ZB6V5yo

PC specific of course. You can't zoom in and out on the consoles.

oh those wacky Youtube comments:

"in my opinion, this is just another BAD game that mimics The elder scrolls: Oblivion. They will never make an equal good game like Oblivion."

Aptos

I'm mostly a console gamer now a days, but thinking of picking this up for PC because I remember playing BG2 on my parents' PC when I was in 9th grade. However, I'm unfamiliar with how the minimum and recommended system specs translate into how well the game will run. If you meet the recommended system specs, does that mean you can run at maxed settings?

My specs are:
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz
4 GB RAM
ATI 4870 w/ 512 MB GDDR5 on PCI-E 2.0
running Windows Server 08 (basically Vista, but without the extra fluff and very stable)
monitor that supports 1400 by 900 as it's native resoultion

Will I be able to run this game maxed?

Aptos said:
I'm mostly a console gamer now a days, but thinking of picking this up for PC because I remember playing BG2 on my parents' PC when I was in 9th grade. However, I'm unfamiliar with how the minimum and recommended system specs translate into how well the game will run. If you meet the recommended system specs, does that mean you can run at maxed settings?

My specs are:
4 GB RAM
running Windows Server 08 (basically Vista, but without the extra fluff and very stable)

Be surprised if you couldn't.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Aptos said:

My specs are:
4 GB RAM

I think you'll be fine

markot

Banned
Goddamn it >_< I bought the Deluxe pack on Steam.

Stupid saving credit card info.... makes it toooo easy.

But I dont know all that much about the game, which actually makes me look forward to it more in a way!

Dresden

I'm only getting it on the 360 because I need to see the badly animated, pixelated sex scenes on my HDTV, instead of my small, puny monitor.

God, so hyped for this.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm going back and forth if I should buy it for PS3 or 360.

While generally I like the 360 controller better, this DOES seem like the kind of game that will fry yet another one of my 360's (I'm on my 5th one), particularly if I play obsessively.

On the other hand the PS3's track record for multiplats isn't exactly stellar ...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dresden said:
I'm only getting it on the 360 because I need to see the badly animated, pixelated sex scenes on my HDTV, instead of my small, puny monitor.

God, so hyped for this.

Plug up said PC to your TV? Not possible?

Donos

:O How did i miss this game. Totally went under my radar. Thought it was a Risen/Gothic/Oblivion style rpg but BGII (one of my favourite games) in the thread title made me look.
Looks very promissing.
Time to assemble my pennies...

Justinian

I'm quite disappointed this game doesn't support DirectX 10 and 11. Seeing as DX9 and it's brethren are in their twilight years, and will be unsupported soon, it's a bit of a shame.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Dragon Age wasn't really on my radar until I read this afternoon that you can set up complex behaviors for your AI teammates via if/then commands, ala FF XII. I loooved that system and am now seriously considering picking this up.

I don't have a PC though, so it'll have to be 360 or PS3. I know there's some differences (less hotkeys, no zoomed-out viewpoint), but has there been any major problems reported with the console versions?

I'm worried that 6 hotkeys vs. 20+ on the PC might mean situational skills just never get used.

But I'm a pretty casual RPG guy and probably wouldn't put in like 100+ hours, so I don't think it's likely to be a huge deal...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
GDJustin said:
I don't have a PC though, so it'll have to be 360 or PS3. I know there's some differences (less hotkeys, no zoomed-out viewpoint), but has there been any major problems reported with the console versions?

I'm worried that 6 hotkeys vs. 20+ on the PC might mean situation skills just never get used.

Well its real-time w/pause so the amount of hotkeys shouldnt be too much of an issue. And as for the console version being different.. the only thing ive heard besides the zoom stuff was the slight alteration in how hordes of enemies are handled. Consoles have large groups of enemies come in waves vs all at once on the pc.

The only other thing about the different versions is the content made with the toolkit that is for pc.

Zzoram

I'm going to get this in a future sale when I have more time. I'm took hooked on Borderlands and Demon's Souls to play anything else this year.

jabipun

Bamelin said:
I'm going back and forth if I should buy it for PS3 or 360.

While generally I like the 360 controller better, this DOES seem like the kind of game that will fry yet another one of my 360's (I'm on my 5th one), particularly if I play obsessively.

On the other hand the PS3's track record for multiplats isn't exactly stellar ...

Install the game on your 360 HDD before you play. I know room may be an issue if you have the regular 10 gig, but I'm sure there is a bunch of crap you can delete (i.e, dlc of games you don't play, videos, trailers, demo's etc. etc.)

It improves loading and most importantly, saves your drive and puts less stress on your 360 all around. Not to mention quieter.

I also, have a well grounded - yet still an assumption, that with most multiplatform games the 360 version may edge out the ps3 version. The 360 version is coming out sooner to boot.

I played the 360 version at the Leeds Eurogamer Expo UK yesterday. The machines running it where in the same area as AvP and L4D2 so nobody seemed to want to come near the game. My brother and I played it well over 30 minutes before a few people had gathered to have a go and we politely handed the pad over.

I can't tell you anything you guys don't already know except that I came away very pleased with how it played on the console with a pad and that I am really excited to get it next week. The Mabari warhound is an brilliant party member too and the snarls it makes as it mauls enemies is fearsome!

markot

Banned
Something about the game 'looks' wrong >_<

I dont know, I think its the lighting... but it just makes things look... a little funky. The characters dont blend into the environment, they stand out too much.

where2look.gif

Top Bottom