• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Tadale

Himuro said:
Red Cliffe spoilers

I'm stuck between killing the kid and going into the fade. I honestly want to kill the demon, though.

:(

Here's how I played that part:
I went in to the fade, but didn't fight the demon. I made a deal that she would leave him alone for now as long as she's allowed to come back later on in his life.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seiken said:
Lost in Dreams
was really, really incredible. By far the best thing I've done in DA, it required strategy (constant shape shifting) and a lot of skill.

Fucking loved it.

I totally agree. It was one of my favorite parts of the game so far. I'm really surprised to see some people hating on it.

Himuro said:
Red Cliffe spoilers

I'm stuck between killing the kid and going into the fade. I honestly want to kill the demon, though.

im not sure how
killing the kid
would fare, but you cant go wrong with the other choice. good gaming...

Tadale said:
Here's how I played that part:
I went in to the fade, but didn't fight the demon. I made a deal that she would leave him alone for now as long as she's allowed to come back later on in his life.

i killed the bitch

corpserot

Left the dragon out of frustration and now i'm in the fade... fuck this game.

Seiken said:
Lost in Dreams
was really, really incredible. By far the best thing I've done in DA, it required strategy (constant shape shifting) and a lot of skill.

Fucking loved it.

This game is apparently too "hardcore" an RPG for me, because it's so frustrating that I don't even want to play the game anymore because of it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Zefah said:
I totally agree. It was one of my favorite parts of the game so far. I'm really surprised to see some people hating on it.

I really really fucking hated the Ogre in that part though, not to mention that he had help from other enemies, I wonder who the hell thought that would be a good idea, because it's not as if the Ogre, by itself, isn't hard enough.

LCfiner

Oh man. marathon day today. well, for my gaming habits anyway. around 9 hours.

Finished Arl Of Redcliffe. Got dat urn and
beat that high dragon… barely…. on easy
used Tempest to whittle down the health.

Love this game so much. that mountain temple was beautiful - yes, even on the 360!

guess I should sleep now.

I also loved the fade, but that was because Burning Man coupled with a beatstick dual-wielding warrior was a dirty combination that made the entire place a cakewalk. Dropping the big fireball to knock everyone over and then going in and mopping up with my two swords. But yeah, the environment itself sucks. i got a headache from the constant shimmering and blurry edges everywhere.

hamchan

Himuro said:
Red Cliffe spoilers

I didn't go to the tower of magi and just used the mother as a sacrifice, partly because she annoyed me and I didn't want to bother traveling. Alistair really hated me for that later!

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ok, another dumb question. I recently achieved "champion" status after completing the
urn quest
but am not sure how to enable this ability/class upgrade.

Nose Master

hamchan said:
I didn't go to the tower of magi and just used the mother as a sacrifice, partly because she annoyed me and I didn't want to bother traveling. Alistair really hated me for that later!

Alistair is a bitch, he fucking cried at me for murdering the kid, too. I mean, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT ME TO DO, CHURCHIE?!

I let my friend play this for a few minutes the other day, and I walked back in and Zevran was dead. "I DUNNO MAN I JUST WAS TALKING TO HIM" :lol Good thing I had a manual save. Zevran is
sooooo gay, btw. Already boned him. Disappointed to see that my character was the catcher.

hamchan

belvedere said:
Ok, another dumb question. I recently achieved "champion" status after completing the
urn quest
but am not sure how to enable this ability/class upgrade.
You get a specialization point at lvl 7. I just chose one when I leveled up.

belvedere

Junior Butler
hamchan said:
You get a specialization point at lvl 7. I just chose one when I leveled up.

Ah, I must have done something dumb then. Like expect a new status strictly for warrior classes on my mage character page. Durrrr.

Thanks man.

:lol

calder

Oh for god's sake, finally got out of the that damn mage's tower and was on my way back to Redcliff when the forger showed up as a random enemy on the road... with a near fucking army. I can't even get close to killing half the enemies with the party I have, Alistair goes down like a bitch under a hail of rogue attacks and the giant ass fireballs from the goddamn mage on the hill normally kills Wynn and my rogue (aka woman I have around only to unlock shit).

Arrgh, time to quit for a while, I can go back to an earlier save and not have to redo much of anything at the tower, but I have the sinking feeling no matter what I'll keep running into that asshole on the way back no matter what. :|

belvedere

Junior Butler
calder said:
Arrgh, time to quit for a while, I can go back to an earlier save and not have to redo much of anything at the tower, but I have the sinking feeling no matter what I'll keep running into that asshole on the way back no matter what. :|

The encounters are fairly random. In a similar situation, I assumed I'd be in the same boat, but was surprised to see a completely different encounter that was easily beatable. Also, in one instance I skipped all encounters.

Effect

Thinking I'm going have to restart things. Not really caring for the Mage class (human) at the moment. I'm not dying or anything but I really want to be in the middle of the fighting more. I would love to use a sword and cast magic but afraid it is going to pretty much screw up my character if I did that due to the points I'd have to put into strength. So most likely going to keep that first character around and start another one.

As a mage you have to wear leather right? Haven't come across any type of robe or cloth type armor yet but then again I just made it to the first real town for the first time. I haven't had time to shop.

Effect said:
Thinking I'm going have to restart things. Not really caring for the Mage class (human) at the moment. I'm not dying or anything but I really want to be in the middle of the fighting more. I would love to use a sword and cast magic but afraid it is going to pretty much screw up my character if I did that due to the points I'd have to put into strength. So most likely going to keep that first character around and start another one.

As a mage you have to wear leather right? Haven't come across any type of robe or cloth type armor yet but then again I just made it to the first real town for the first time. I haven't had time to shop.
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane_Warrior

Spire said:
Where the hell is
the finger-bone token needed to get into Jarvia's hideout?
After talking to a bunch of NPC in the dust town area i entered some house and got an event where you get the token

Geoff9920

Having difficulty with the
Urn quest line. After visiting the main city looking for Brother G. (can't remember his name)I caught the guy I found there in a lie. Went to the lake anyway and when I asked the bartender about finding Brother G. he said he couldn't discuss it because he was being watched and I haven't been able to ask him anything new since. Nothing else with the quest has been updated so I haven't been able to continue looking for the urn. Am I doing something wrong or is this a glitch?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Geoff9920 said:
Having difficulty with the
Urn quest line. After visiting the main city looking for Brother G. (can't remember his name)I caught the guy I found there in a lie. Went to the lake anyway and when I asked the bartender about finding Brother G. he said he couldn't discuss it because he was being watched and I haven't been able to ask him anything new since. Nothing else with the quest has been updated so I haven't been able to continue looking for the urn. Am I doing something wrong or is this a glitch?

I took a slightly different path and never even had to go to the lake. Is the town "Haven" available on your map in the bottom left-ish corner?

Geoff9920

Zefah said:
I took a slightly different path and never even had to go to the lake. Is the town "Haven" available on your map in the bottom left-ish corner?
Not sure, I'll have to get back to you on that after I get out of
fixing the Dalish elves werewolf problem. On the odd chance it's not, am I screwed?

edit:
After a bit more searching on google, I think I have to back to the Brother's house to get my next lead which should then point me towards haven. Thanks!

hermit7

So I am having issues with the dwarf Anvil quest. I found the journal of the Paragon and it said it would guide me to where they were going, but I cant do anything after that. Is it a glitch? Where am I supposed to go afterwards?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
LocoMrPollock said:
Sorry if it's been asked before, but what's the level cap?

There isnt a hard level cap.. but 26 is about as far as you can go before you cant get enough xp to make a difference.

Woo-Fu

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Sorry if it's been asked before, but what's the level cap?

I doubt there is one, after all the exp in the game is strictly controlled. Nothing respawns that doesn't do so specifically for a quest. I've read that you'll be lucky to hit 26 by the end of the game. I'm 21 and heading to the final battle right now.

Visceir

hermit7 said:
So I am having issues with the dwarf Anvil quest. I found the journal of the Paragon and it said it would guide me to where they were going, but I cant do anything after that. Is it a glitch? Where am I supposed to go afterwards?

You have to leave that map and go on to
The Dead Trenches

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just a heads up about the patch.. im reading that some people are having save game problems with the different patch versions. Thats exactly why i havent patched yet.. i had that happen to me once with a game a long time ago.. NEVER AGAIN :lol

Doytch

U K Narayan said:
It's generally accepted that any investment in archery is a waste, correct?

Also, this game is dense. I expect that the entire package will last me awhile. Presentation is top-notch stuff.
It starts getting good later. With Master Archer, if I use Arrow of Slaying, it does 200+ damage. Also, I can shoot fast enough to interrupt any spells that take time to cast, and I'm now picking up some more debuff spells. It was weak as hell from the start though. Lethality is also pretty much a must. Level 11 btw.

How do I enchant weapon? I tried to bring runic over weapon in inventory, didn't do anything. Can I enchant mage staff?

Right now going through Tower of Ishal. This is awesome.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
MirageDwarf said:
How do I enchant weapon? I tried to bring runic over weapon in inventory, didn't do anything. Can I enchant mage staff?

Right now going through Tower of Ishar. This is awesome.

You have to get the savant to enchant it at the camp.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Himuro said:
How do I delete mods? I think the white teeth mod is doing a graphic glitch to my game.
Hmm.. it looks like the Whiter Teeth thing was something that you copy over and overwrite the files in "Documents/bioware/dragon age/packages/core/override /textures/high".. is that how you installed it?

edit.. if it was just something you extracted to the override folder you should just be able to delete it from there.

knitoe

Miss unocking Blood Mage, and thus, I am starting over for the third time. Wasted almost 40 hours with first two. At least whatever class you unlock in previous games, is already available from the start.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
knitoe said:
Miss unocking Blood Mage, and thus, I am starting over for the third time. Wasted almost 40 hours with first two. At least whatever class you unlock in previous games, is already available from the start.
Dont have a save to fall back on? Autosaves go like 4 check points back.

Xamdou

knitoe said:

Where do you unlock the blood Mage?

And at what levels do I get specialization points? Or do I have to buy them?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Considering picking this up on 360 even though my PC can run it maxed.

Anything really bad about the 360 version? I really want blood dragon armor for ME2

Edit: Reading through the thread. Im torn on what to get.

8 hours in. I do not think that this game is outstanding (yet), yet I admit it's one of the most addicting games I've played. The world is very engaging and has a lot of great backstory and cool characters. Some good music and art direction, too. The battle system is all right. I am finding the game very easy and the graphics to be just decent, as well. Is it just me? Is it something with the Xbox 360 version?

Ceebs

RPGCrazied said:
wow..

30hour boss fight

brood mother is kickin my ass, i get her halfway.. but she summons all sorts of darkspawn, nasty fight

I am sure you already beat this but my strategy was as follows:

I treated this as a multi phase fight. When I entered the room I pulled my entire party to the back wall and had them hold. After a few seconds the tentacles will start popping up around you. I was using crowd control on one or 2 and putting all firepower on a single one. Damage here is really low as you are only dealing with the Broodmother's spit. Once you do a bit of damage to all of them they all vanish and the Broodmother is the only thing in the room.

At this point go all out offense on her, but keep a heal handy in case she grabs someone. You will need to pop a heal while they are up in the air. The tentacles will come back after like 25% of her health, so I just pull my party to the back of the room and work them down out of her range.

At 50% it seems like the Darkspawn start pouring in. They are pretty managable as long as you stay in the back and let them come to you. Just rinse and repeat the clearing of tentacles and darkspawn until the tentacles health reaches zero. At that point you can just go all out on the boss and not worry about them anymore.

knitoe

Xamdou said:
Where do you unlock the blood Mage?

And at what levels do I get specialization points? Or do I have to buy them?
It's part of Redcliff questline. Google it so you don't miss it like me. You get points at lvl 7 & 14.

Deadalious

Neo Member
So yeah kids, don't forgot to visit camp - EVEN IF YOU LEAVE A ZONE.
This is me after the paragon quest chain.
Ouch

Also, Sten + Legionaire armor = Win

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Metalic Sand said:
Considering picking this up on 360 even though my PC can run it maxed.

Anything really bad about the 360 version? I really want blood dragon armor for ME2

Edit: Reading through the thread. Im torn on what to get.
The 360 version has noticeable pop-in and a few frame rate hitches here and there.

Other than that, I enjoy my playthrough on the 360 as much as my PC experience. (I can't play it maxed on the PC though, so that might have something to do with it.)

Top Bottom