• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I still haven't gotten laid yet.
I'm made a little progress with Leilene at the camp site, but I still haven't been that close to getting in her undergarments. I'm playing as a female character, so it feels a little weird to court a male character but I'll try to make love to Alistar, for the trophy of course.

Tadale

None of my characters like me enough, i think.

Anyway, I just realized that I missed out on the Blood Mage specialization. I'm way past that part, so there's no way I'm going back to a save that old.

Wiggum2007

Tadale said:
None of my characters like me enough, i think.

Anyway, I just realized that I missed out on the Blood Mage specialization. I'm way past that part, so there's no way I'm going back to a save that old.

Without getting too specific, at what location do you get the Blood Mage specialization? I've read a few posts now from people saying they missed it.

Tadale

Wiggum2007 said:
Without getting too specific, at what location do you get the Blood Mage specialization? I've read a few posts now from people saying they missed it.

Not too specific:
Redcliffe quest line, near the end

Specific:
Go into the fade to rescue Connor, but don't fight the demon. Instead, follow the dialog options to make a deal with her. One of the reward options if for the demon to teach you blood magic.

nubbe

Yeah baby
fwm6bs.jpg

Wiggum2007

Tadale said:
Not too specific:
Redcliffe quest line, near the end

Specific:
Go into the fade to rescue Connor, but don't fight the demon. Instead, follow the dialog options to make a deal with her. One of the reward options if for the demon to teach you blood magic.

Thank you very much sir.

TheFreshPrince said:
My character turned out pretty nicely.....Not as good as MassEffect, but better than Fallout3/Oblivion
I think you need to go play Mass Effect again. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as dragon age does.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, seriously, what the fuck does it take to have Leliana offer teh sex ?

I finish her quest, i max her affinity. Nothing. :(

Lostconfused said:
I think you need to go play Mass Effect again. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as dragon age does.

I think he meant the character creator, and I'm torn there. I like my female ME character better as well.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So im playing Baldurs Gate 1 while i encode my videos of Dragon Age.. and every time the battle music that was ripped from Henry Mancini comes up it kind of pisses me off :lol Its so jarring. And the Youtube bulk uploader sucks btw.

I wish Leliana didn't come with 4 points in Archery, what a waste. Otherwise having a bard is amazing, she has a very interesting back story at that.

TheHeretic said:
I wish Leliana didn't come with 4 points in Archery, what a waste. Otherwise having a bard is amazing, she has a very interesting back story at that.
i agree. and morrigan too, she's got too many points in entropy, =( my mage is spec'ed as a warlock and i really don't need too many entropy spells...unless i'm going to have 2 blood mages in my party, hmmm

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Goddamn, why do I always highlight spoilers. It's like I don't even think about it before I click.

Fuckin elf, I thought we were friends

Willectro

Banned
where/ what do you do to select your specializations? My main is a level 10 noble warrior dwarf and I'm not 100% what to do. :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
If backstab damage really is bugged my rogue would be wtfuber with a patch to switch it to dex+str. Instead of the figure being 27, it would be 77.

Speaking of backstabs, rogues, and dex modifying rogue attack damage with piercing weapons, does that mean I should wield two daggers instead of longsword and dagger? I used longsword+dagger for most of the game, until noticing in the tooltips that it said piercing weapons(bow/dagger). About the same time I found a pair of crow daggers with 3 sockets each and switch to them. I don't think I ever did a backstab for more than 75 damage and that is counting physical+runes+flaming weapon from mage+backstab modifier and the character screen says highest damage ever was 100.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I got Shale but I think dog will be a better tank. I'll stick with dog, though Shale might have interesting dialog opportunities.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I got Shale but I think dog will be a better tank. I'll stick with dog, though Shale might have interesting dialog opportunities.

Can Shale get specializations? Mr. Mabari runs out of new skills before you'll reach the end of the game.

timkunedo

yeah i was wondering about shale also. I'm leaning towards keeping the rogue lady in my party simply because i encounter so many locked chests on my journey that only she can open.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Woo-Fu said:
If backstab damage really is bugged my rogue would be wtfuber with a patch to switch it to dex+str. Instead of the figure being 27, it would be 77.

Speaking of backstabs, rogues, and dex modifying rogue attack damage with piercing weapons, does that mean I should wield two daggers instead of longsword and dagger? I used longsword+dagger for most of the game, until noticing in the tooltips that it said piercing weapons(bow/dagger). About the same time I found a pair of crow daggers with 3 sockets each and switch to them. I don't think I ever did a backstab for more than 75 damage and that is counting physical+runes+flaming weapon from mage+backstab modifier and the character screen says highest damage ever was 100.

Reading the DA forums, it seems daggers should be calculated as .5 Strength + .5 Dexterity. How it is actually working in-game is 1.0 Strength. The Dex modifier that should be there for dagger damage is absent. Here is what Georg Zoeller said on their forums:

DA forums said:
Hi

I've investigated some of the issues brought up with Dexterity centric builds and found a number of conditions that, together, can cause a different behavior than we designed for.

Unfortunately, on top of that, there seems to be different behavior in resource override loading between some digital distribution builds an the retail build. This has lead to some of the test-fixes I made working for some and not for others and obscured the underlying issues.

Here is what I know as of Patch 1.01 and can confirm as not working as intended.

* Daggers get their attribute bonus from strength instead from half strength and half dexterity.

* Bows do not display their damage as intended on the character sheet.

This is what I am investigating at this point in regards to dexterity.

* Lower than intended hit rate with bows. I have not been able to confirm this so far, the savegames sent to me all had darkspawn bows and other darkspawn equipment which debuffed dexterity...

None of these issues are game breaking and in some cases (dagger), the impact near mid-end of the game is relatively low, nevertheless we're going to fix them in an upcoming patch.

I might put out an unofficial hotfix once I've sorted out the resource loading priority confusion, but that will, as always, be unsupported and purely experimental to get feedback from you guys.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nachkebia said:
So console versions are no go, right? :(
No, they're still really good games. They're just...well, neutered...in some significant ways. But they're still highly enjoyable and have all the dialog and character development options that the PC version has.

Woo-Fu

Banned
will52 said:
where/ what do you do to select your specializations? My main is a level 10 noble warrior dwarf and I'm not 100% what to do. :lol

First page of the level up screen has 4 spec icons on the left side and a point indicator. If you have a spec point and have unlocked any of the specs you can pick one. You can pick two for most characters in the game(the npc party members will already have one, usually, you can pick the 2nd).

Is it just me or are there not enough NPCs to make an evil-aligned party, or even a neutral one? no tank and no healer if you try to go that route and your own character can't fill both roles. I suppose you could play an evil mage and change Morrigan's path towards healing instead of direct damage but you'd waste a hell of a lot of points with her. You'd still not have a tank. Is Shale neutral/evil? The Qunari and the Dwarf both favor 2-handers and thus suck as tanks.

So my main party seems to be...

My dwarven noble warrior as tank.
Morrigan as healer and crowd control.
Alistair as DPS and off-tank.
Leliana as ranged DPS and thievy stuff - swapped with Sten for two-handed DPS.

I'm not doing too bad but man, I found this place in Denerim populated with
blood mages

I'm currently inventing swear words and trying to clear it out. They're mother-fuckers on nightmare.

golem said:
where can u see the chars affinity?

At the inventory screen, there is a bar there with empty heart on one end and full heart on the other. Affinity goes from -100 to +100. I really wonder what -100 affinity must be like. :lol

Jayge

bigdaddygamebot said:
So my main party seems to be...

My dwarven noble warrior as tank.
Morrigan as healer and crowd control.
Alistair as DPS and off-tank.
Leliana as ranged DPS and thievy stuff - swapped with Sten for two-handed DPS.

I'm not doing too bad but man, I found this place in Denerim populated with
blood mages

I'm currently inventing swear words and trying to clear it out. They're mother-fuckers on nightmare.
The abandoned warehouse?
I'm on the last chamber on Normal. It's very, very hard to resist breaking my monitor :lol I envy anyone with the skills to play this on Nightmare. Shit.

Y2Kev said:

Dog is more of a DPS character than a tank. He doesn't have anything like Shale's stoneheart abilities that aid tanking.

HOLY SHIT!!!

Got an awesome kill scene with Leilana using twin daggers, killing the ogre! (I was playing my mage) I was able to switch to her to catch the last few seconds of it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Unknown Soldier said:
At the inventory screen, there is a bar there with empty heart on one end and full heart on the other. Affinity goes from -100 to +100. I really wonder what -100 affinity must be like. :lol

i think they leave at that point. Is there any character that will not leave you?

Big-E

I need some help with the Dalish mission.
I entered the ruins where the werewolves are and they barred the door, if you go deeper in the ruin you meet a dragon who seems to just utterly rape my entire party. I haven't had too much trouble up to this point but this mother fucker is strong. Do I have to beat him to keep going on the quest? I have just left Lothering.

Mrbob

I got a weird 'Physx > Cpu' logo error on the upper left corner of my game. I got rid of it by using driver cleaner to get rid of physx and then I reinstalled it. In case someone gets the same error with an nvidia card there is your fix!

Nachkebia said:
So console versions are no go, right? :(

Pick it up if you only have a console. The console game is the same setting. The graphics and gameplay are a bit simplified but the game is still worth checking out.

Jayge said:
The abandoned warehouse?
I'm on the last chamber on Normal. It's very, very hard to resist breaking my monitor :lol I envy anyone with the skills to play this on Nightmare. Shit.

I'm at the last fight...which I won't spoil for you but man...

I'm about tackle it again in thirty minutes. I actually ran out, stocked up on poultices and well...cross your fingers. I went in initially with only two lesser poultices so I'm pretty sure I can grind through the fight with eight lesser poultices.

My advice. Focused fire, focused fire, focused fire. BMs are always, ALWAYS the primary targets, even if you have to run across the room to get at them. Turn by turn micro-management is your friend.

Haunted said:
And I can't believe how much authenticity a simple feature like persistent gore adds.

You're joking, right? The persistent gore is so silly that it's actually hilarious how bad it looks. Seriously, I killed a couple of guys and now I'm splattered from head to toe with blood like I had just taken a shower in it? Come on. I turned off the persistent gore after about an hour because it looked so stupid, plus you can't ever get it off you unless you have Dogmeat lick it off, and he can't lick himself or any other party members. Can you imagine running around in a town covered from head to toe in splattered blood? Well in this game you can, and nobody seems to notice or comment on it. :lol

Number 2 said:
i think they leave at that point. Is there any character that will not leave you?

No idea. I guess for kicks you could try to get everybody to -100 affinity so they all leave and then you can solo the whole game and see how hard it is. :lol

Doytch

nubbe said:
I say, im an master archer and archery feels like shit compared to blades
Really? I'm loving it. Rapid Shot and Arrow of Slaying are devastating with Master Archer. Can't wait til I get Scattershot, either.

Woo-Fu

Banned
nubbe said:
I say, im an master archer and archery feels like shit compared to blades
Too much utility you never need in the archery tree and not enough damage if you ask me. I play a rogue-ish ranger in games like these and I gave up on archery pretty early on in DA.

It is another game where the rangers get screwed when it comes to buffs. Flame weapon/Ice weapon don't seem to do anything to bows.

M°°nblade said:
Is that on highest settings? It looks gorgeous. By the looks of it, I think the game is more meant to be played like this instead of TP view.

No. 1280 x 720, medium graphics/texture, no AA. Isometrics view is definitely way to go on PC. You also get performance boost in isometric.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Big-E said:
I need some help with the Dalish mission.
I entered the ruins where the werewolves are and they barred the door, if you go deeper in the ruin you meet a dragon who seems to just utterly rape my entire party. I haven't had too much trouble up to this point but this mother fucker is strong. Do I have to beat him to keep going on the quest? I have just left Lothering.

Wynne+Alistair makes it pretty easy, assuming you do this late enough in the game so that she can put lifeward on him and he has enough physical resist so that he doesn't get mangled every other attack.

The other thing you want to do is keep the beast stunlocked with whatever methods you have(dirty fighting, shield stuns, ice spells, etc.)

Lyonaz

I bought the game yesterday for the PS3 and OMG I have played for like 16 hours already.:D

Totally loving it. Which is surprising since I've bought other western rpgs (Fallout 3, Baldur's Gate 2, Never Winter Nights), but always gave up after a few hours.

I made a male Noble Human Warrior. Mine is one bald sexy bitch!:lol Level 10 and fully decked out in the Blood Dragon Armor, currently dual-wielding, when can I specialize into something?
He's also totally Morrigan's bitch. :p I just can't be mean to her. Claudia Black's voice is just *swoon*:D

Finished the Lost into Dreams questline, man the Fade thing is one long ass dungeon.:lol

Also the banter between some of your party members is actually funny, love Alistair and Morrigan.
When you kiss Morrigan in public and afterwards Alistair ask what the kissing face thing is all about and Morrigan comments that he sounds jealous. I laughed.

I'm glad I took the next week off from work, so I can properly spend some time playing this, MW2 and if I'm lucky my Bayonetta copy will arrive also.:D

Truant

Quick question: The main portion of the game so far has been the Blight quest, gathering allies. I'm nearly done, just finishing up Orzammar. I'm at 24%, 33 hours in, but I don't trust that percentage. Is there still more to the game after you gather the armies?

Truant said:
Quick question: The main portion of the game so far has been the Blight quest, gathering allies. I'm nearly done, just finishing up Orzammar. I'm at 24%, 33 hours in, but I don't trust that percentage. Is there still more to the game after you gather the armies?
some but not much. This really feels like a massive intro to the universe. I expect at least one sequel, or want at least one.

What you guys mean by DPS?

Also, seems people have hound as a party member in Tower of Ishal battle. How did you guys get him? I gave flower to that guy in the camp and he said come back after battle.

nubbe

Doytch said:
Really? I'm loving it. Rapid Shot and Arrow of Slaying are devastating with Master Archer. Can't wait til I get Scattershot, either.
Yeah, those are the only worth while skills :lol
But the cool down time on them make them pretty meh
DPS is put to shame even by my shield tank

Woo-Fu said:
Too much utility you never need in the archery tree and not enough damage if you ask me. I play a rogue-ish ranger in games like these and I gave up on archery pretty early on in DA.

It is another game where the rangers get screwed when it comes to buffs. Flame weapon/Ice weapon don't seem to do anything to bows.
Wish I could respec for dual weapons

MirageDwarf said:
What you guys mean by DPS?

Also, seems people have hound as a party member in Tower of Ishal battle. How did you guys get him? I gave flower to that guy in the camp and he said come back after battle.

Human nobles start with the hound.

Top Bottom