• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Dartastic

DieH@rd said:
I defeated that one, but there is also one in Dalish forset. Urgh, no luck with that one.

You should definitely kill that one... You can start to get some of the best armor in the game from him. ;)

Swag

Am I the only person that didn't have that many problems with the revenants? :lol

Maybe it's because by the time that I got to my first one I had the DLC armor equipped, but all that I had to do was kill the minions then just tank his attacks, while throwing up some regens on my tank. Seemed the problem was that he just soaked up damage then anything else.

Ventrue

I'm surprised by how 'unbalanced' the various parts of the main quest are. I had assumed they'd all more or less be equal in length but the dwarf one is easily several times longer than the elf one.

(But then, the Dwarf one is also several times more awesome, so fair enough)

nubbe

It seems like there is a proper order to the main quest...
Elves > Mages > Red Cliffe > ? Thats where I am now :p

I did Red Cliffe > Mages > Elves
Red Cliffe village assault was fucking hard while the Elves was a breeze :p

This game is so refreshing. I love the talk to allies at any point feature as well as the feeling that I'm never going to completely please ANY members of my party. I initially thought I was going to lay Morrigan but a few hours later my decision making to help certain people undid a couple of hours of me treating her like a princess. I love the fact that I'm going to have to do some things that sicken me to gain her favor, and at this point I've basically just said fuck it because I'm just not down with being a complete douche. On the otherhand the other chick in my party agrees with my personality but barely gains any favor with me for it.

Even romance aside I'm constantly struggling with who to bring along with for both tactical and relationship reasons. I like Alistair but he's damn near useless to me in a fight but I feel odd not having him in my group of four. aAfter a couple of hours into the game I've finally gotten to a point where I may have to consider thinking about thinks purely for tactical reasons. I got mowed down by a group of bandits in some ice mountains. Instead of the usual run up and slash em to pieces tactic I actually had to use the wait command, make use of poison traps and try to isolate certain pockets of enemies so I could survive.

I'm starting to regret making a human shield and sword user after having run into my first dual blade enemy who just looked awesome. Loved the animations he used and with him being purely offensive I can imagine his talents actually being awesome. I'm finding being a sword and shield user to be a bit boring because the talents are such a chore. Knocking enemies down and stunning them is all well and good but the various defensive options just seem to be a chore more than anything.

I'd love to restart and get to chopping up bitches with dual swords but I'll just stick with what I have :(.

Truant

nubbe said:
It seems like there is a proper order to the main quest...
Elves > Mages > Red Cliffe > ? Thats where I am now :p

I did Red Cliffe > Mages > Elves
Red Cliffe village assault was fucking hard while the Elves was a breeze :p

Doesn't seem quite right, most people are saying Redcliffe is the first to begin with, the game even suggests you go there first.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Truant said:
Doesn't seem quite right, most people are saying Redcliffe is the first to begin with, the game even suggests you go there first.

I had to finish Circle of Mages before I could finish Redcliffe the way I wanted to.

In my opinion, unless your main character is a healer, it might be best to do mage circle first so that you can get Wynne.

Truant

I can't possibly understand how the game is nearing it's end when I'm just 25% done, at 35 hours. If there's not much else to be done after gathering all the armies, I have no idea what the remaining percentages count towards.

Tripwood

Finaly finished my first playthrough. lvl21, 49% finished (wtf?) and i did all apart from 2-3 sidequests. Played time 49 hours. Man do i need a break. :)

End game question and spoiler:
Morrigan proposed to have a child that would serve as a host for the Archdeamon. I took that option. Is there even a way to avoid it since i couldn't bother reloading to hear the alternative?

Final fight was fun, but not as diffcult as i expected it.
Great game, i am left craving for more, quests, loot, new lands ... it's the mmo deamon within me forever wanting more.

Can anyone help me with my tank spec? I'm trying to tank Allister but I don't know which stats I need to put points in. I've been increasing his willpower, strength, and constitution(in that order). Will and Str are both in the mid 20s, with con in the high teens.

Lime

There's a bug in one of the side quests in the Circle of Magi. It's the "Watchguard of the Reaching". If you complete the main quest in that area (beyond the Fade), you cannot go back and solve the statue puzzle. At least, I haven't been able to solve it, despite doing the thing in the correct order (ie. getting electric damage).

Zzoram

Truant said:
I can't possibly understand how the game is nearing it's end when I'm just 25% done, at 35 hours. If there's not much else to be done after gathering all the armies, I have no idea what the remaining percentages count towards.

The game completion counter covers all side quests and alternate paths, including every origin.

I've finished 5 origins, with 1 of them carried into Lothering. It says something like 14% completion.

Lime said:
There's a bug in one of the side quests in the Circle of Magi. It's the "Watchguard of the Reaching". If you complete the main quest in that area (beyond the Fade), you cannot go back and solve the statue puzzle. At least, I haven't been able to solve it, despite doing the thing in the correct order (ie. getting electric damage).

I was able to do it, the issue is that there is no feedback for successfully hitting the statues in sequence. So you basically right click them in order, even though it 'does nothing', and you will step the quest. Note the last statue is in a different room than the other three.

Item you get from it is well worth it, IMO.

edit: NM, I did it before going into the Fade.

Woo-Fu said:
I had to finish Circle of Mages before I could finish Redcliffe the way I wanted to.

In my opinion, unless your main character is a healer, it might be best to do mage circle first so that you can get Wynne.

It's worth it for all the attribute bonuses you can get from the Fade.

Truant

Zzoram said:
The game completion counter covers all side quests and alternate paths, including every origin.

I've finished 5 origins, with 1 of them carried into Lothering. It says something like 14% completion.

Hmm, yeah, too bad. The game is not as big as I hoped, then.

Truant

Zzoram said:
It seems a good deal bigger than Mass Effect. Are you not doing all the side quests?

Doing most of them. Avoiding some of them that lack any depth, such as some where you have to click all the doors and whatnot.

Krackatoa

Masta_Killah said:
Can anyone help me with my tank spec? I'm trying to tank Allister but I don't know which stats I need to put points in. I've been increasing his willpower, strength, and constitution(in that order). Will and Str are both in the mid 20s, with con in the high teens.

I max strength each level until 38 with the sole intent of being able to stick Alastair in the Blood Dragon Armor as early as possible. Getting him into Massive-type Armour is important for drawing aggro. From there, he needs a tiny bit of Dex to open up some of the other Sword and Shield talents (Not being able to be flanked seems like an important thing to have). The rest I'll be dumping into Constitution and Willpower.

I'm not going to bother with his Templar skills until later, I think.

Tripwood said:
Finaly finished my first playthrough. lvl21, 49% finished (wtf?) and i did all apart from 2-3 sidequests. Played time 49 hours. Man do i need a break. :)

End game question and spoiler:
Morrigan proposed to have a child that would serve as a host for the Archdeamon. I took that option. Is there even a way to avoid it since i couldn't bother reloading to hear the alternative?

Final fight was fun, but not as diffcult as i expected it.
Great game, i am left craving for more, quests, loot, new lands ... it's the mmo deamon within me forever wanting more.

I believe the other options for the ending are:
She has a child with Alistair, she has a child with Loghain if you let him live, or your character dies.

Fredescu

The archery debuffs seem quite good against single targets. I've been using Leliana and I always notice the difference if I use Crippling Shot and Shattering Shot against a yellow or orange dude. Perhaps they intended archers to do initial debuffs with bows, and then run in and melee for the actual damage. Of course, the trouble with being strong against single targets is that the bulk of the challenge comes from handling big groups of enemies. AE seems to be more important than single target debuffs and damage for most of the game. I know there are exceptions.

This all makes we want to do a full primal mage playthrough on easy, just to get all these back alley fuckers back.

bran

How do I fight
the dragon at the mountain top of Adraste's Urn
, when I went there first I wasn't ready and got owned. Now I am, but the
gong
is no longer there.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So how much of an RPG is this game compared to something like Fable and Oblivion in the sense that you can go a bunch of midevil cities and just explore them, look at shops, talk to random folks and go into a civilian's house, etc.? That's what I crave the most so if Dragon Age does something like that, I'll definitely hop on board with this game on BF when it's on sale for $39.99.

Truant

bran said:
How do I fight
the dragon at the mountain top of Adraste's Urn
, when I went there first I wasn't ready and got owned. Now I am, but the
gong
is no longer there.

Gong? You just sound the horn you picked up.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Himuro said:
Not working, and I haven't even entered the Fade yet.

Hmm...I did mine post-fade, and it worked just fine.

In fact, isn't the room where the 4th statue is SPOILER:
where the sloth demon sends you into the fade right as you get in? I.e. you would need to wait until after you've been in the fade in the first place?

Krackatoa

Metroidvania said:
Hmm...I did mine post-fade, and it worked just fine.

In fact, isn't the room where the 4th statue is SPOILER:
where the sloth demon sends you into the fade in the first place? I.e. you would need to wait until after you've been in the fade in the first place?

Fourth room where
you fight the Greater Abomination who makes lesser shades out of some hostage tranquils, not the Sloth Demon.

Metroidvania

Himuro said:
No that's on the next floor.

Ah.

Yeah, you just gotta make sure you only click once to examine, I saw a little puff of red when I did it correctly for each statue.

Been a while since I did the tower, lol.

Ceebs

Domino Theory said:
So how much of an RPG is this game compared to something like Fable and Oblivion in the sense that you can go a bunch of midevil cities and just explore them, look at shops, talk to random folks and go into a civilian's house, etc.? That's what I crave the most so if Dragon Age does something like that, I'll definitely hop on board with this game on BF when it's on sale for $39.99.
There are plenty of places to visit in the game and lots of people to talk to (there is a bartender you can spend half an hour just talking about rumors with). The game is more focused on combat, story,and individual characters rather than exploration though.

bran

2rpp45f.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the Horn lol.

Coldsnap

Can someone tell me what happens if you tell Lelina "I think you should go"?

I'm afraid that this will make her leave permanently and if so that is sort of scary because I always press the wrong buttons on accident.

Darkman M said:
How is your quick bar that long?
Resize it like you would a window

rainking187 said:
I believe the other options for the ending are:
She has a child with Alistair, she has a child with Loghain if you let him live, or your character dies.
I think there are more endings than that.
Alister offers to finish off the archdemon, although i don't know if he does it or not

Patryn

Coldsnap said:
Can someone tell me what happens if you tell Lelina "I think you should go"?

I'm afraid that this will make her leave permanently and if so that is sort of scary because I always press the wrong buttons on accident.

I'm fairly certain that it will make her leave. Every NPC has that option available.

I wish i got a notice for how much xp im getting for finishing sidequests. For a long time early on, they felt pointless except for loot until i finally completed one that leveled a character up. I said "oh!"

Metroidvania

Patryn said:
I'm fairly certain that it will make her leave. Every NPC has that option available.

Technically, she asks for clarification, so you can say "nevermind" and it'll cancel out. But yeah, you can drive off any NPC if you work hard enough, apparently.

I wish i got a notice for how much xp im getting for finishing sidequests. For a long time early on, they felt pointless except for loot until i finally completed one that leveled a character up. I said "oh!"

That is really odd that it doesn't show, yeah.

Coldsnap

So far I've got two complaints:

The beards in this game are weak.

Buffs show up in NPC cut-scenes, I'm a glowing and sparkling princess running around...

Coldsnap said:
Buffs show up in NPC cut-scenes, I'm a glowing and sparkling princess running around...
Yeah but non of them are as obnoxious as rally. Then you are walking shining beacon of light.

PumpkinPie said:
Baldurs Gate?
No, but its as close as you will ever get to one. Maybe.

mileS

Coldsnap said:
So far I've got two complaints:

The beards in this game are weak.

I just end up turning all the buffs off when I enter a town to solve that problem.

Kosma

Banned
Nightmare is pretty cool too, but I need to get my timing right to get the most out of the sleep duration. Plus its pretty unclear who does what when nightmared.

How do you use sleep to scout ahead?

Zeliard

Tadale said:
About spoiler tags, do you guys mind putting a little introduction to what specific part you're spoiling?

Wish people would do this. I don't understand these posts that are spoilers with absolutely no context. You could be spoiling the end of the game, so barely anybody will read what you wrote.

Zeliard said:
Wish people would do this. I don't understand these posts that are spoilers with absolutely no context. You could be spoiling the end of the game, so barely anybody will read what you wrote.
Pretty sure all the giant pictures of shit are doing a fair bit more damage.

How do you use sleep to scout ahead?
It will reveal the name of anything it's targetting, even if you don't have los or can't cast the spell where you are targetting.

TheFallen

Krackatoa said:
I max strength each level until 38 with the sole intent of being able to stick Alastair in the Blood Dragon Armor as early as possible. Getting him into Massive-type Armour is important for drawing aggro. From there, he needs a tiny bit of Dex to open up some of the other Sword and Shield talents (Not being able to be flanked seems like an important thing to have). The rest I'll be dumping into Constitution and Willpower.

I'm not going to bother with his Templar skills until later, I think.
Eh, he doesn't need STR. You can get equivalent armor without reaching 38. Ie. Templar Armor. The Blood Dragon stuff isn't even all that amazing. Str is seemingly only useful for damage output and obtaining requirements for armor usage. Stack CON with occasional DEX and STR. He needs to be a damage sponge, not a dps.

Top Bottom