• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Shouta

So I put a good chunk of time into the game last night and man, I'm impressed. I was expecting more along the lines of Neverwinter Nights in feel in many regards but the game feels a lot more dynamic than that. Storyline presentation is fantastic and the chatter is great as always. I love Morrigan and Alistair exchanges. :lol

TheFallen said:
Eh, he doesn't need STR. You can get equivalent armor without reaching 38. Ie. Templar Armor. The Blood Dragon stuff isn't even all that amazing. Str is seemingly only useful for damage output and obtaining requirements for armor usage. Stack CON with occasional DEX and STR. He needs to be a damage sponge, not a dps.
38 Str 26 Dex and everything else goes into will and CON. You still need 38 str because eventually you want him to use the Juggernaut armor set.

Minsc

Gold Member
And it's up...

1. Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition.
2. Dragon Age: Origins.

3. Left 4 Dead 2.
4. Borderlands.
5. Torchlight.
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
7. Football Manager 2010.
8. Mass Effect.
9. Shattered Horizon.
10. Aion Standard Edition and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Not too shabby. I was hoping it'd claim first place on Steam's sales, even if only for a week or two. Been in the top 5 for the past four weeks now, it's got to be pulling respectable numbers, for Steam anyway.

Yoboman

Does becoming a Blood Mage change character attitudes towards me? I've been working so hard to get Alistair to like me. I'm just too much of an asshole I think :lol

TheFallen said:
Eh, he doesn't need STR. You can get equivalent armor without reaching 38. Ie. Templar Armor. The Blood Dragon stuff isn't even all that amazing. Str is seemingly only useful for damage output and obtaining requirements for armor usage. Stack CON with occasional DEX and STR. He needs to be a damage sponge, not a dps.

Ah thnx for the tips. I'll start stacking con, since that is my lowest tank stat atm.

Also, anyone playing frame-buffer effects turned off? The game looks so much better with it off(playing in windowed).

Frame-buffer On
25svt3o.jpg

Frame-buffer Off
2nsn9mu.jpg

Maybe its my card, but with the buffer on, the images are overly bright (cities look really unnaturally lit). This occurs even when I play at full screen mode. Hopefully someone can make a mode to have more natural lighting like the Oblivion mods.

Edit:
Lostconfused said:
38 Str 26 Dex and everything else goes into will and CON. You still need 38 str because eventually you want him to use the Juggernaut armor set.

Ah ok, I'll need to start putting points into Dex then. That is really low atm.

Zeliard

The game is missing all the atmospheric lighting in the second pic. Not sure how anyone can find that better-looking.

Yoboman said:
I find it weird hearing Chloe and Flynn conversing in this game as well :lol

I think Uncharted 2 and Dragon Age is also the only voice acting that the guy who does Alistair and Harry Flynn had done up until then, for any medium, not just video games. That guy is incredibly good at it. I would expect to see him and Claudia Black everywhere in big-budget games for the next 10 or so years.

LCfiner

Masta_Killah said:
Ah thnx for the tips. I'll start stacking con, since that is my lowest tank stat atm.

Also, anyone playing frame-buffer effects turned off? The game looks so much better with it off(playing in windowed).

Frame-buffer On
http://i37.tinypic.com/25svt3o.jpg[IMG]

[B]Frame-buffer Off[/B]
[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/2nsn9mu.jpg[IMG]

Maybe its my card, but with the buffer on, the images are overly bright (cities look really unnaturally lit). This occurs even when I play at full screen mode. Hopefully someone can make a mode to have more natural lighting like the Oblivion mods.

Edit:

Ah ok, I'll need to start putting points into Dex then. That is really low atm.[/QUOTE]

first pic looks so much better with the lighting effects. second one is much more bland.

Zeliard said:
How does Juggernaut Armor compare to Templar Armor and Blood Dragon Armor?
Juggernaut set gives you 20% resistance to all types of damage pretty much and the helmet buffs the mental resistance. While blood dragon armor just gives you 50 more hit points. There is also a dragon bone plate armor that you can stack with a 2 handed sword that gives you a 55% resistance to fire, if you are going after dragons.

Edit: Forgot to mention that juggernaut armor gives you slightly less armor value than the other massive armors.

Coldsnap

How does this game deal with team changing?
Does it only give you the option to change people in your team during the campfire scenes?

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
Juggernaut set gives you 20% resistance to all types of damage pretty much and the helmet buffs the mental resistance. While blood dragon armor just gives you 50 more hit points. There is also a dragon bone plate armor that you can stack with a 2 handed sword that gives you a 55% resistance to fire, if you are going after dragons.

Edit: Forgot to mention that juggernaut armor gives you slightly less armor value than the other massive armors.

Good to hear. So there's some good ol' dragon-hunting armor, eh? :p

Kosma

Banned
Coldsnap said:
How does this game deal with team changing?
Does it only give you the option to change people in your team during the campfire scenes?

And when you go to the world map.

Zeliard

Kosma said:
And when you go to the world map.

You can also switch team members at various points in certain places, by hitting the "change party members" button on the menu taskbar (PC version). It seems fairly aribtrary, though - I haven't figured out why certain places allow you to switch and others don't. It certainly seems to have nothing to do with the threat of enemies, or whether or not you've fully explored that place.

I've used that option quite a few times to switch out quickly for Leilana so she can open up some chest, and then I switch back right after. Fuck rogues. Cept Zevran.

Shouta

LCfiner said:
first pic looks so much better with the lighting effects. second one is much more bland.

Yeah.

I try Frame-buffer and the frame-rate is a little wonky while it's smooth with it off, it doesn't look quite as nice. Oh the decisions

Alright, so, I'm a fucking sissy. I wiped like 10 times fighting trash mobs in the final city on normal, so fuck it, I'm finishing this shit on easy (also dropped to easy for fights in the Urn/Swamp, you bastards know what I'm talking about.)

Fuck all you people playing on hard...I just don't get it.

Cohsae

Pyke Presco said:
Alright, so, I'm a fucking sissy. I wiped like 10 times fighting trash mobs in the final city on normal, so fuck it, I'm finishing this shit on easy (also dropped to easy for fights in the Urn/Swamp, you bastards know what I'm talking about.)

Stun everything all the time.

enewtabie

I'm really enjoying this game and I'm like the least likely RPG playing person you will ever meet. I buy them and play very little and move on. This one is really really good.

Swag

Zeliard said:
How does Juggernaut Armor compare to Templar Armor and Blood Dragon Armor?

I ended up using a combination of the Dragon bone armor and the Blood Dragon. Dragon Bone feet and hands / Blood Dragon Chest and legs. That Chest is too good to pass up :lol

Shouta

Kosma said:
How wonky?

Seems like it tears a bit in motion and isn't steady. Not really sure how to explain it. I'm on a Ati 4870 at 1920x1080, everything maxed but with Frame-buffer off at the moment.

fuck, i feel so bad. i didn't want to go through the circle to get a plot item, so i let the poor woman die =(.....
man......................now her son doesn't have his mother

Cohsae said:
Stun everything all the time.

I have the ability to freeze people up close with Morrigan, and stun one person with my main character. Other than that I have no crowd control, so thats not going to work out so well.

(Party is Dual-wielding warrior, morrigan, leliana, and ohgren. The rest are either dead, kicked out of the party, or left of their own will, except Pyke, but I coudln't bring a poor little puppy to fight some big bad demon. That little guy should be busy chasing rabbits)

Swag

Pyke Presco said:
I have the ability to freeze people up close with Morrigan, and stun one person with my main character. Other than that I have no crowd control, so thats not going to work out so well.

(Party is Dual-wielding warrior, morrigan, leliana, and ohgren. The rest are either dead, kicked out of the party, or left of their own will, except Pyke, but I coudln't bring a poor little puppy to fight some big bad demon. That little guy should be busy chasing rabbits)

Ditch Leliana get Wynne, no clue what class Ohgren is I'm just going to assume he's a tank. Get Sleep / Waking Nightmare on Morrigan ASAP

Shouta

Pyke Presco said:

What? Bring your dog. Dread Howl <3

Kosma

Banned
Shouta said:
Seems like it tears a bit in motion and isn't steady. Not really sure how to explain it. I'm on a Ati 4870 at 1920x1080, everything maxed but with Frame-buffer off at the moment.

Have the same on much worse hardware. But the frame buffer is worth it imho.

Sebulon3k said:
Ditch Leliana get Wynne, no clue what class Ohgren is I'm just going to assume he's a tank. Get Sleep / Waking Nightmare on Morrigan ASAP

If you read the rest of the post, I'm at end game, and these are the only remnants of the party,
with everyone else dead, or gone. I only had Wynne for the bit in the tower, never got her in the party b/c she was interfering with my diabolical playstyle.

And yeah, I fucked up on choosing spells, focused on getting Morrigan lightning spells and becoming an arcane warrior instead of going down her death tree.

I am in this place through nobodies fault but my own, but I'm dropping it down to easy to finish. i'll play better on a second run since I now have some idea of what I should be doing in combat.

Also, yeah, the dog kicks ass. He was in the party from start to finish, only got swapped out for Morrigans questline and now in the final city. The little guy is fucking badass.

EDIT: My bad on the spoilers guys, please edit your quotes.

Druz

Pyke Presco said:
If you read the rest of the post, I'm at end game, and these are the only remnants of the party, with everyone else dead, or gone. I only had Wynne for the bit in the tower, never got her in the party b/c she was interfering with my diabolical playstyle.

And yeah, I fucked up on choosing spells, focused on getting Morrigan lightning spells and becoming an arcane warrior instead of going down her death tree.

I am in this place through nobodies fault but my own, but I'm dropping it down to easy to finish. i'll play better on a second run since I now have some idea of what I should be doing in combat.

Also, yeah, the dog kicks ass. He was in the party from start to finish, only got swapped out for Morrigans questline and now in the final city. The little guy is fucking badass.

HEY MARK YOUR SHIT AS SPOILERS KEWL THANKS DAWG

Zeliard

Pyke Presco said:

Hard is extremely fun, and so far it seems well-balanced. It doesn't just simply make enemies tougher and stronger - it also gives them added resistances to a lot of stuff, which makes combat a lot more tactical. You can't just throw any spell or ability at them and expect it to be effective, particularly the tougher yellow/orange enemies, so you're forced to experiment more and to try different tactics and strategies.

bengraven

Played until 3pm last night. Finished every intro and I decided to go the fairly unoriginal route and play my human warrior. I'm up to Morrigan, though I feel slightly guilty for playing such a stereotypical character.

That said, Morrigan is so fucking great. The videos did her no justice. Now, let's just get that concept art mod.

(also: the mage intro was not nearly as bad as people made it out to be...I think it's one of my favorites)

Try raising the AF level in My Doc/Bioware/Settings folder. Also change the value of UseTrilinearFiltering and UseTripleBuffering to 1. That made the game pretty smooth for me(ati x1950).

Zeliard

bengraven said:
Played until 3pm last night. Finished every intro and I decided to go the fairly unoriginal route and play my human warrior. I'm up to Morrigan, though I feel slightly guilty for playing such a stereotypical character.

That said, Morrigan is so fucking great. The videos did her no justice. Now, let's just get that concept art mod.

(also: the mage intro was not nearly as bad as people made it out to be...I think it's one of my favorites)

The Mage intro is cool - I just don't enjoy the visual design of the Fade at all. I honestly think it's hideous, and consider the rest of the game to be pretty damn beautiful. I know they were purposefully trying to make it appear all foggy and dream-like, but I don't think it came out looking very good.

Pyke Presco said:
If you read the rest of the post, I'm at end game, and these are the only remnants of the party, with everyone else dead, or gone. I only had Wynne for the bit in the tower, never got her in the party b/c she was interfering with my diabolical playstyle.

cc is pretty important in this game. my mage pretty much solo'ed the entire redcliffe castle line. i wanted to get BM asap so i didn't do the wynne/magi line and now i have no competent healer in my party. (the only healing spell i have is heal. lol)
i imagine things will get much much easier once i have wynne in the party, maybe i'll even turn it up to difficult.

ughhh, poor isolde =((((((((((

IJoel

Is the only way to get the Blood Mage spec unlocked to
make a deal with the desire demon? I suppose one can't be a true goody-two shoes and a blood mage.

I'm really loving the game so far. It's one of those few games that will suck up 4-5 hours and one won't notice it.

Ventrue

Sorta spoilers for the lead up to the end boss:

The mechanic for using your troops was really well done I think. Usually this sort of thing is very lame, you get a couple shitty npcs who die at the drop of a hat and you can't make any real choices about their use. I liked that you had a fixed number of troops and chose when to deploy them. For example, I kept my mages in reserve until I couldn't beat the guys out the front of the Fortress. I figured they had to be pretty good since you only got 12, but I was still pretty amazed by them all casting fireball/chain lighting all over the place and tearing shit up. They did way more damage than I did in that part.

IJoel said:
make a deal with the desire demon? I suppose one can't be a true goody-two shoes and a blood mage.

I'm really loving the game so far. It's one of those few games that will suck up 4-5 hours and one won't notice it.
if you download warren's kepp dlc, you can unlock BM without making a deal w/ the demon.

Yoboman

Hate to ask again but:

Yoboman said:
Does becoming a Blood Mage change character attitudes towards me? I've been working so hard to get Alistair to like me. I'm just too much of an asshole I think :lol

Swag

Pyke Presco said:

Yeah I guess I skimmed over that too fast, but yeah I figured I would need a healer of some sort so I made my main dude a healer, I'm kind of unhappy with the way I did my morrigan I went into the death tree and didn't give her much from Primal so now I kinda only have 1 pure DPS guy, but I just can't see all the friendly fire aoe as being efficient, once I get my healer some CC I'm ditching morrigan for a rogue or something. Either that or making her an Arcane Warrior, depends how good the dps on it is.

BTW wtf spoiler some of that shit

Twilight Princess said:
if you download warren's kepp dlc, you can unlock BM without making a deal w/ the demon.

How, does it involve the Mage guy?

IJoel said:

I was also wondering about this, I heard
you basically sleep with the desire demon at that part, but I was considering a female mage for my second playthrough. Would the fact that I'm a girl prevent me from doing that? Or would the demon not care? And if you become a blood mage do any party members get really mad at you?

Sebulon3k said:
How, does it involve the Mage guy?
i haven't started the dlc yet. but i've heard you get some cool spells out of it and a PC too.
what's wrong w/ going too deep into the entropy tree? i think its better than heavily primal, cause of the friendly fire.

Swag

Twilight Princess said:
i haven't started the dlc yet. but i've heard you get some cool spells out of it and a PC too.
what's wrong w/ going too deep into the entropy tree? i think its better than heavily primal, cause of the friendly fire.

Entropy > Primal because of the friendly fire and the setup required for some of the higher level spells. The problem is that if you have no mage doing damage you end up having a lack of dps until your tank / physical dps warriors get that skill that makes them regenerate stamina when an enemy dies (I use Shael and Alistair as my melees, Alistair tanking) so this was the dilema I found myself in.

And the two spells you get just regen mana and give bonus spellpower at the expense of more mana cost. Both pretty good, but not the entire tree is unlocked

bengraven

Zeliard said:
I've been wondering this as well. It would make sense.

At the very least, I would think that Wynne wouldn't be too happy with it.

I swore someone said previously that she would leave...?

Top Bottom