• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Sebulon3k said:
The problem is that if you have no mage doing damage you end up having a lack of dps until your tank / physical dps warriors get that skill that makes them regenerate stamina when an enemy dies
That skill is pretty worthless, it recovers very little stamina. The primal spell that restores ally's stamina works much better.

IJoel

rainking187 said:
I was also wondering about this, I heard
you basically sleep with the desire demon at that part, but I was considering a female mage for my second playthrough. Would the fact that I'm a girl prevent me from doing that? Or would the demon not care? And if you become a blood mage do any party members get really mad at you?

I don't think you need to
sleep with the demon
. I didn't and it unlocked. Though it could've been I persuaded it. I can't recall.

Mindlog

This game is so great. It also feels like this is a first run at this type of game in a long time. They were kicking off the rust with this effort. I can't wait to see what lies ahead. I hope it sells 3.7 million copies.

I'm in the forrest killin' bears atm. I hope the forest didn't watch that.

Himuro said:
In this room there are three x's: the lab, the mouse hole, and some door. All three of these appear on the map, but not in game, where one is missing and I have a feeling I can't continue until it does. Is this a bug? Hopefully not a game breaking one?

not a bug, keep exploring

Himuro said:
In this room there are three x's: the lab, the mouse hole, and some door. All three of these appear on the map, but not in game, where one is missing and I have a feeling I can't continue until it does. Is this a bug? Hopefully not a game breaking one?
Did you try going through the door?

Fredescu

Himuro said:
Have you tried
spirit form
to go through the door? I don't think the Labratory is an interactive object. It's just telling you what the room is.

Added a tag, I dunno if that's a spoiler or not.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Himuro said:
Oh fuck. I feel like an idiot. :lol
I recommend you backtracking so that you can use Spirit Form for all the stat point-statues :)

EDIT: Ridiculous, beaten -_-

Hey guys, I ran into a bit of a problem.

I just
rescued the Queen and got Alistar to marry her however she wants me to goto the Alienage to check out some problems that Howe started there but I can't port there on the map.

I have the quest in my log telling me to go there but it's not allowing me to.

NewLib

Banned
I think this game balances the challenge really well. Basically, everytime I get to a fight that kills me a few things, it isnt because the fight is impossible but that I have to learn a new trick.

For example: I was getting owned by this mob fight do their mage. So after dying twice, the first thing I did in the next fight is run up real quick to the mage and drop a force field on him. That gave me enough time to get all of my AOE spells up and using the Nightmare combo on their biggest hitter. By the time the mage was free, I had already taken a sizable chunk out of their forces.

I do have one story complaint that happened recently
They could have done so much more with the town of Haven. Instead, its like you go to two places and see some cultish like behavior and then you go to the temple and everyone is immediately hostile.

Also there are still a few bugs in this game. For example, the Boss of the Mage Tower respawned on me when I was going back through to pick up the loot I missed because I was full on my first run. It was easier, but still pissed me off.

There are so many fucking variations on the ending that it's making my head spin.

Five different possibilities concerning the throne. Four different possibilities concerning the final battle, with one of them having three variations.

Beyond that you get different epilogues for party members, various supporting characters, and locations you've visited--the variations being based on your origin, quests completed, romances, and certain choices you made.

Goddamn.

FuttBuck said:
Hey guys, I ran into a bit of a problem.

I just
rescued the Queen and got Alistar to marry her however she wants me to goto the Alienage to check out some problems that Howe started there but I can't port there on the map.

I have the quest in my log telling me to go there but it's not allowing me to.

Go through the merchants district? it's the only way to unlock that section of the map iirc.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
is there a fix for sli yet? running it through steam on a 295. runs great put it's pushing my gpu1 temps up to 75-80 and i'd rather not

Zeliard

What did you guys do in the Warden's Keep quest with the
demon
?

I loved the choices there and the outcomes that arise from them.

I chose to
make a deal with the possessed Warden to kill the Chantry priest so that the demon would then strengthen the Veil and keep the other demons out - a sort of Chaotic Good "means to an end"-type deal. The demon also wouldn't even agree to that until I threatened to kill him first, as I recall.

I also forced the demon to agree to give me some gold before I would go through with it. So, after it agreed to all of this I went and I killed the priest and made the demon happy, and the demon actually kept its end of the bargain and strengthened the Veil, thereby effectively ridding Soldier's Peak and Warden's Keep of demonic threat. It also gave me the location of the gold.

The game then followed up with another option: what do I now do with the demon? Do I keep my end of the deal and set it free, and allow it to wander? Awesomely, while we were talking and dealing beforehand, the demon was basically like "yo, I'm a demon, so I will be doing demonic shit if you free me - but better just me then a million of my buddies, no?" Or do I go back on my word and kill it?

I chose to kill the demon (including the grandmother it was possessing), essentially making my entire series of acts in Warden's Keep one big fucked up "for the greater good" event. Everything I did pretty much got rid of ALL demonic presence there, but at the expense of innocents. I also threatened the demon, right before I killed him, to give all of the relevant info that Levi needed about his grandmother, fulfilling that part of the quest as well. The dialogue system is interconnected in some fairly amazing ways.

So ultimately, I ended up getting gold, Grey Warden armor from the dead demon (which Alistair currently sports) and two great new skills for my mage that you get from drinking a certain potion there (one of the skills uses a small bit of health to gain back a large amount of mana, extremely useful to a mage as you might imagine, and the animation for it is crazy). Warriors and rogues get different skills there, obviously.

That demon also knew Blood Magic and I assume there's also a way to get him to teach it to you, though I obviously didn't end up going that route. That scenario could have ended up going any number of ways - hell, I could have simply killed the demon right away before we even started really talking, and things would have gone very differently.

This game is so great. It's very useful to do the Warden's Keep quest early on in the game (like right after you first hit the world map) considering what you can get from it, and I'm not just talking about the storage.

Zzoram

After completing all 6 origins, I found Human Noble and Dwarf Noble to be the ones I want to keep playing most mainly for
sweet revenge
. I'm also curious about the Mage origin because
I figure you'll find Jowan again later and he can teach you to become a Blood Mage, and hopefully when you have to go to Denerim you can destroy your blood sample
. While City Elf, Dalish and Dwarf Commoner were good origins, I don't see any obvious continuation of them later in the story so I'm less inclined to keep playing those.

For now I think my first playthrough will be with Human Noble Rogue.

Mindlog

Ignis Fatuus said:
There are so many fucking variations on the ending that it's making my head spin.

Five different possibilities concerning the throne. Four different possibilities concerning the final battle, with one of them having three variations.

Beyond that you get different epilogues for party members, various supporting characters, and locations you've visited--the variations being based on your origin, quests completed, romances, and certain choices you made.

Goddamn.

I'm surprised they didn't say anything about holding onto our saves. It'd be pretty easy to fill in some minor codex stuff in the next game with the details from our current game.

Erudite

Storage mod works now.
15q4sg4.jpg

8wbbqb.jpg

Takes a bit of extra work to get the mod working, as detailed on the download page, but I'd say it's worth it.

Fredescu

Zeliard said:
demon
?
I just completed this one too.

Did the demon close the veil for you after you did that?

I convinced the demon to close the veil first with a persuade thingo, and then made the deal with it. I then spared the old mage and went back and killed the demon. I wonder what you get from killing the mage. I assume some mage gear.

Moussi

AstroLad said:
is there a fix for sli yet? running it through steam on a 295. runs great put it's pushing my gpu1 temps up to 75-80 and i'd rather not
my lone 8800 GT goes up to 78 degrees celsius under full load playing this game....
I'm pretty sure 80 degrees is nothing to worry about.

New official hotfix up for DEX calculations and ranged weapon attack/damage. This supersedes the old dagger STR/DEX fix.

It mentions Dragon Age 1.01 as the supported version but it seems to be working on my copy still at 1.00, if you haven't patched up yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Moussi said:
my lone 8800 GT goes up to 78 degrees celsius under full load playing this game....
I'm pretty sure 80 degrees is nothing to worry about.
yeah sorry wasn't being clear, just meant that the 2nd gpu isn't being used at all

RS4-

Took me 42 damn hours to finish the game lol.

Pretty sure I won't go through that again with the other classes.

Fredescu

Mistwalker said:
New official hotfix up for DEX calculations and ranged weapon attack/damage. This supersedes the old dagger STR/DEX fix.

It mentions Dragon Age 1.01 as the supported version but it seems to be working on my copy still at 1.00, if you haven't patched up yet.
"This hotfix applies to all creatures in the game, not just the party members. Due to enemies outnumbering the party in most situations, the benefits of better ranged weapons act asymmetric in favor of enemy groups. \\Installing this hotfix will cause a steep increase in difficulty by almost a full level for any encounters that include multiple archers. If you are having trouble with easy or normal difficulty, stay away from this hotfix until we have updated it to offset these effects."

:eek:

Zeliard

Wow, dilemma. I'm gonna pick up Zevran and I want him to use, predictably, bows and daggers. But I'm playing on Hard and those enemy archers are gonna hurt. :lol

Fredescu said:
I just completed this one too.

Did the demon close the veil for you after you did that?

I convinced the demon to close the veil first with a persuade thingo, and then made the deal with it. I then spared the old mage and went back and killed the demon. I wonder what you get from killing the mage. I assume some mage gear.

Yeah, from
killing the mage (Avernus) in Soldier's Peak I also got his robes
, which I gave to my mage. They add +3 to willpower and +3 to magic, and it also says "improves Blood Magic". I don't have it yet so I'm not exactly sure how (presumably it does more damage). That place served me nicely. :p

zero2000

Banned
I am only around 2 hours into the game, but I have a question. If I give any items to the unimportant people that join my party for short periods of time and I will never see again, do I automatically get those items back, or are they gone for good?

Zzoram

zero2000 said:
I am only around 2 hours into the game, but I have a question. If I give any items to the unimportant people that join my party for short periods of time and I will never see again, do I automatically get those items back, or are they gone for good?

I think those items come back to you. If it's gear they brought when they joined, that might not stay though.

Jayge

Zeliard said:
Wow, dilemma. I'm gonna pick up Zevran and I want him to use, predictably, bows and daggers. But I'm playing on Hard and those enemy archers are gonna hurt. :lol

Yeah, from
killing the mage (Avernus) in Soldier's Peak I also got his robes
, which I gave to my mage. They add +3 to willpower and +3 to magic, and it also says "improves Blood Magic". I don't have it yet so I'm not exactly sure how (presumably it does more damage). That place served me nicely. :p
I quite enjoyed my conversations with him. I ended up teaming up with him instead.

My problem is with
The fact that I have this asshole premium content quest that tells me there's a hidden item cache on the grounds and I can't get back into the keep to search or anything like that. Nothing pisses me off more than lost loot opportunities.
:lol

Mistwalker said:

Even thought the guy who wrote this patch is DA developer, this is not an official patch.

He even says this:

Hotfixes are unsupported, often experimental and require some technical background to use. If any of the instructions below seem arcane to you, please do not install this hotfix.

Hotfixes are not officially tested and may (and in fact often will) exhibit side effects.

So install it at your own risk. All official patchs will be listed here: http://social.bioware.com/game_patches.php

By the way, his missing manual site is good one to bookmark - http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/ Website is still work in progress.

Proc

I re-rolled a magi. I'm going to go the healer route just because I really enjoyed playing a resto druid in WoW.

Game is incredible. Its sort of a bummer that the dragon armor is plate, oh well.

I really enjoyed that opening event for the magi. Any other healers out there regretting speccing that way?

JoeBoy101

Zeliard said:
demon
?

I loved the choices there and the outcomes that arise from them.

I chose to
make a deal with the possessed Warden to kill the Chantry priest so that the demon would then strengthen the Veil and keep the other demons out - a sort of Chaotic Good "means to an end"-type deal. The demon also wouldn't even agree to that until I threatened to kill him first, as I recall.

I also forced the demon to agree to give me some gold before I would go through with it. So, after it agreed to all of this I went and I killed the priest and made the demon happy, and the demon actually kept its end of the bargain and strengthened the Veil, thereby effectively ridding Soldier's Peak and Warden's Keep of demonic threat. It also gave me the location of the gold.

The game then followed up with another option: what do I now do with the demon? Do I keep my end of the deal and set it free, and allow it to wander? Awesomely, while we were talking and dealing beforehand, the demon was basically like "yo, I'm a demon, so I will be doing demonic shit if you free me - but better just me then a million of my buddies, no?" Or do I go back on my word and kill it?

I chose to kill the demon (including the grandmother it was possessing), essentially making my entire series of acts in Warden's Keep one big fucked up "for the greater good" event. Everything I did pretty much got rid of ALL demonic presence there, but at the expense of innocents. I also threatened the demon, right before I killed him, to give all of the relevant info that Levi needed about his grandmother, fulfilling that part of the quest as well. The dialogue system is interconnected in some fairly amazing ways.

So ultimately, I ended up getting gold, Grey Warden armor from the dead demon (which Alistair currently sports) and two great new skills for my mage that you get from drinking a certain potion there (one of the skills uses a small bit of health to gain back a large amount of mana, extremely useful to a mage as you might imagine, and the animation for it is crazy). Warriors and rogues get different skills there, obviously.

That demon also knew Blood Magic and I assume there's also a way to get him to teach it to you, though I obviously didn't end up going that route. That scenario could have ended up going any number of ways - hell, I could have simply killed the demon right away before we even started really talking, and things would have gone very differently.

This game is so great. It's very useful to do the Warden's Keep quest early on in the game (like right after you first hit the world map) considering what you can get from it, and I'm not just talking about the storage.

One quick thing that ties into Warden's Keep,
have you gotten the piece of meteorite yet from the Superman easter egg? Two words: Star Fang.

fallout

Halfway through Redcliffe, just got to the mage tower.

So, I show up at Redcliffe to see what's going on. Undead abominations. Okay, I'll help you guys out. I survive the overnight onslaught, make my way through the castle, fight my way to the possessed kid, then tell everyone that we're going to go to the Mage tower for help. What do I find at the Mage tower? More fucking undead abominations. Ferelden clearly needs better zombie control.

Zeliard said:
demon
?
I told the demon I would help it. Then, I fought my way to the mage and told him that I would kill the demon. Went back, killed the demon and helped the mage to seal the veil. Also took the tainted blood stuff for my rogue.

I never did finish that other quest involving exploring the Keep, and now that the Drydens have taken it over, I can't go back in! Oh well.

iam220

sorry to repost, but maybe someone here can answer my question

iam220 said:
There were mentions in this tread about your party members getting XP even when you're not using them. Thats not the case for me ... I'm playing hard on pc ... whats up with that?

So yeah, I just beat the game on sissy little bitch mode. You people running on hard are going to have fun with the final boss I think. A little lacking in end cutscene department, and the cleanup at the end of it through text bubbles seems so bland, but I guess with so many branching decisions it had to be like Fallout 3's final "cutscene", as that's probably the easiest way to do things.

Also, spoilers for how I played and what happened in my storyline. You have been warned.

Here's what happened in my story and some of the end results:
1) Recruited the entire party: Morrigan, Alistair, Dog, Leliane, Zevran, Sten, Logaine, Ogreyn, Wynne.

2) Wynne was only "recruited" for the mage tower, end of which I killed her at because she wanted to save the abominations. Well guess what bitch, aint no abominations in my perfect world. All the mages died, and I got Templars in the final battle form the tower.

3) Killed the Dwarf girl and helped Caridin destroy the anvil. Made Harrowmont king. Turns out at the end of the day, Harrowmont gets poisoned, the anvil gets rebuilt, and the dwarves fuck themselves over. Had an army of dwarves with double handed weapons in the finale.

4) Killed the demon in the fade during redcliffes questline, slaughtering the mother in the process. I had just done the mage tower line before that, so I really didnt want to go back and run throguh the tower again. plus, at this point the bodies were starting to pile up, what was one more? Got an army of human swordsmen at the end.

5) Killed the elf leader to break the curse, and slaughtered all the humans who once were werewolves. They bugged me all throguh the forest, so fuck em, they're dead. Got an army of elf archers for the finale. Wonder if I could have had an army of werewolves instead, since it would have been fucking awesome. Just saying.

6) The party body count:
i) Wynne: Slaughtered for standing in the way of slaying abominations. Fuck you bitch. (btw, I had no healer except Morrigan's janky heal spell for the rest of the game, including no res spells. Made her an arcane warrior, so couldnt spirit healer her either. Big mistake, might be why I had problems in the end areas.)
ii) Zevran: betrayed me in the city, showed up wearing underwear and a bow, b/c i stripped party members for money if i wasnt using them. Offered him the chance to walk away after laughing hysterically in my room about some numpty attacking me in a pair of tighty whities. He declined, so I butchered him and left him lying in the street bleeding.
iii) Sten: big ugly bastard, so I kicked him out and said I don't want you no more. Didnt miss him one bit.
iv) Alistair: got pissed when I offered Loghaine redemption in the form of joining the grey wardens, and when I made Anora queen instead of letting some baseborn bastard usurp the throne. Fuck you peasant, you can earn your keep like the rest of us. He walked out, I had the option to kill him and I regret not doing so, considering how much of a crazy psychotic bitch my Alyssa turned out to be.

All in all, it turns out I did everything in my power to wreck any chance I had of keeping a solid team together. Ran the final boss with Alyssa(dual-wielding warrior main), Morrigan specced as an Arcane warrior (and set to basically just cast heal at all times...god I fucked that up bad), Leliane with maxed out archery abilities and Ogreyn maxed out on two-handed weapons. Had to put it on easy because my foolishness made doing anything else pretty much impossible (no crowd control, no traps/poison bombs, no proper healing, etc. Oops, at least now I know better for next time).

Dog would have given me some crowd control, and I used him all throughout the game, but I figured I would be better off with ranged DPS from the archer instead of sending a third person into the fray, especially since Morrigan would sometimes just call healing quits for the day and start swinging her sword like a moron. I needed somebody to hang back, so Dog got swapped out (and yes, I realize I could have tinkered with the tactics slots a bunch more to make Morrigan stay out of the fight, but I really didnt want to bother with setting up a bunch of contingency plans to make sure she kept healing. I'm lazy like that, maybe on a second playthrough I'll leave it on normal and actually micro-program everyone to play right. I also will make sure to use a dedicated healer next time.)

EDIT: Also, hang onto a save-file from before Denerim. After you set everything in motion for the final showdown, you cannot leave, and the post-end game stuff is only for DLC, you cannot go back and do sidequests you didnt do, cant go back into old areas, nothing. My game is now pointless, so I guess I'll be starting a new file sooner than I expected.

Zzoram said:
After completing all 6 origins, I found Human Noble and Dwarf Noble to be the ones I want to keep playing most mainly for
sweet revenge
. I'm also curious about the Mage origin because
I figure you'll find Jowan again later and he can teach you to become a Blood Mage, and hopefully when you have to go to Denerim you can destroy your blood sample
. While City Elf, Dalish and Dwarf Commoner were good origins, I don't see any obvious continuation of them later in the story so I'm less inclined to keep playing those.

For now I think my first playthrough will be with Human Noble Rogue.

Also try mage origin as well. I hear the archmage/battlemage class is one of the best classes in game.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Revelations said:
Dusty internals of a PC contribute to base heat going up? What to do in prevention of this? A humidifier?

mouse with a flamethrower is both less costly, and more awesomer.

Fredescu

Proc said:
I really enjoyed that opening event for the magi. Any other healers out there regretting speccing that way?
I'm healer spec and quite enjoying it. I'm going for the all creation spells achievement, just because. Wards are great for CC. Word of advice, there are guides that say Wynne teaches you the spirit healer spec. She doesn't. You
buy it from a book in Denerim
(minor spoiler, but just in case). The group heal you get from spirit healer spec is great, I'd go for the specialisation as soon as you hit level 7.

White Man

Digging the game a ton. I have like 15 hours into the 360 version. I like that it's clear that time was put into giving both console and PC gamers different UIs. It's going to make the second playthrough great. I'm doing a meathead dwarf warrior on 360, but the PC will be used when I play as a mage, since the Baldur's style camera view is much much better for tactical combat.

The one complaint I have at this point is that there's sort of too much equipment. It seems like I can basically redo my entire gear setup about once every half hour. I really need to stop doing that. I'll make a rule where I can only do one equipment change up per gaming session or something.

Top Bottom