• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Stratman

Neo Member
pahamrick said:
Man, sometimes the party banter that comes up is a riot.

You're not wrong, Morrigan and Lelina have had more than one unbearably civil cat fight over the fruit of my loins.

As an aside, is Morrigan easy or is Lelina playing hard to get? After many gifts, leaning in her favour on quest related choices and listening to her stories I've still only gotten an ''I'm here for you.''

Stratman said:
You're not wrong, Morrigan and Lelina have had more than one unbearably civil cat fight over the fruit of my loins.

As an aside, is Morrigan easy or is Lelina playing hard to get? After many gifts, leaning in her favour on quest related choices and listening to her stories I've still only gotten an ''I'm here for you.''
leliana constantly flirts w/ morrigan in my case, and morrigan just expresses plain disgust. it's weird because morrigan looks totally gay

pahamrick

Stratman said:

For Leilana, I couldn't get anywhere in her romance until after I got her personal quest. Even then, that took going back to Camp many a time. I was already traveling around the map a lot anyway to
Trigger the random scene to get the Superman reference and the star metal ore so I could get the blacksmith in Warden's Keep to make the sword.

So basically I'd travel to Denerim, Flemeth's Hut and back, hitting the camp each time to see if it'd trigger any new conversations with her. Also it seems, you definitely have to be more careful with the responses you choose with her as opposed to Morrigan.

Stratman

Neo Member
Twilight Princess said:
leliana constantly flirts w/ morrigan in my case, and morrigan just expresses plain disgust. it's weird because morrigan looks totally gay

Now that you mention it, Leliana did have a conversation with Morrigan about her showing off her neck and wearing a nice dress. Interesting stuff.

Tom Penny

LCfiner said:
If you're looking for Elder Scrolls style open exploration, you're not gonna find it. you can go back to most areas you've been to but the world map travel system forces you to several predefined zones - and not all of them have enemies.

It wouldn't be as bad if there wasn't so many loads or long load times.

Stratman

Neo Member
pahamrick said:
For Leilana, I couldn't get anywhere in her romance until after I got her personal quest. Even then, that took going back to Camp many a time. I was already traveling around the map a lot anyway to
Trigger the random scene to get the Superman reference and the star metal ore so I could get the blacksmith in Warden's Keep to make the sword.

So basically I'd travel to Denerim, Flemeth's Hut and back, hitting the camp each time to see if it'd trigger any new conversations with her. Also it seems, you definitely have to be more careful with the responses you choose with her as opposed to Morrigan.

Seems logical. I didn't get the ''I'm here for you'' greeting until I found the flowers that reminded her of her mother also. And having read the lead designers tips on wooing her, I should probably ask her about the minstrels being spies. Felt like a bad move to me so I never touched it. Do'h.

Wiggum2007

Damn it. I thought I'd seen somebody post in here that you can still get Dog later on if you missed the quest in Ostagar. I'm seriously considering losing 5 hours of progress to go back to that save and get him.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Playing PC for about 4 hours so far.

Looks pretty good and it plays pretty good. I hope we get some modders to replace some of the low res textures though.

Playing at 1920x1080 with everything maxed out on a 4890 and a quadcore amd with 4gb of ram.

Great funny writing though. Seems semi linear which is good. It will make me go back through a couple of times. How long is the entire game, main quest wise?

Magicked

Lord Phol said:
How optimized is this game for PC? would it be playable on a laptop?

I've been playing on my MBP in my bootcamp partition (Windows 7) and it runs and looks amazing. I have a 2.8 GHz dual core, 4 GB RAM, and 9600M GT (512 MB). I play with everything on high, but no AA or anything.

This game is amazing. I still haven't finished any of the major quests though. It's incredible how much effort they put into the characters and plot.

i sooo hate that im playing this game on easy but man i c ant help it. the way i get owned on normal is ridiculous but wow what a fucking great game. i think playing as a rogue suits me the best because its still challenging plus the backstabs are pretty sick

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
DieH@rd said:
Where did you find that sword?

If you get the DLC when you travel around the world you will get a cut scene that kinda like superman crashing into earth, get the meteor metal left behind. Next take it to the Keep and talk to the black smith, he will make you a 2hand or 1hand sword, think its the best in the game (didn't find any better myself).

bengraven

I kissed Morrigan right after the chasing off the bandits at that first village you go to. I actually saved first, because I was expecting her to be like "Jesus, you're either a nerd or a douchebag, let me get to know you more". Nah, she was more like "let's just make sure and do it right".

chico

after all the complaints i wouldnt believed it, but the game looks absolutely gorgeous on my PC! 1680x1050 High Detail 4xAA

Specially inside buildings. Wonderful either in iso view and 3rd person.

i love this game!

Oh man, I just had to tell
Owen his daughter was dead. I didn't find her at Redcliffe Castle. Someone please tell me I had no other choice and there was no way to save her.

mentalfloss said:
Oh man, I just had to tell
Owen his daughter was dead. I didn't find her at Redcliffe Castle. Someone please tell me I had no other choice and there was no way to save her.
no she is perfectly fine, she is just hiding in one of the rooms in the dungeon

I have an admission, I played a dwarf warrior/berserker for well over 20+ hours. I didn't like how straight forward the warrior class is after using my teams rogue properly (stealth, trap setting, poison making) and mage (literally dozens of spells for different situations.) I was actually bored with the game.

I re rolled a new character.

I went Rogue because while I still like melee combat, I am more interested in the rogues deeper skill set.

It might have been the way I built my warrior but he basically was a defense buffed, axe swinger and that was it, a damage dealer.

I am much happier with the game now but I hate when I do that.

Zeliard said:
Is anyone here running with a party of Alistair, Shale and Zevran? :lol

Best shit ever.

Hmm, I was planning on Alistair, Shale and Morrigan, but Zevran instead of Morrigan sounds nice too. More to think about :p

JoeBoy101

Depending on WHEN you get Zevran, fair warning. His ability to pick locks and find traps is for shit. For rogue details, Leilana is much much better. For a backstabbing damage dealing fool, he's better.

For romancing Leilana, you need to get her pretty much at 100 relationship score. The Andraste flowers really help with it. And you won't be able to profess love until after you do her sidequest.

Can someone email Bethesda and see if they'd be willing to sell the Fallout license to Bioware?

Fallout 4 needs to be running on this engine. Hot damn if this game doesn't bring me back to the glory days.

Isometric + pause = love.

Lord Phol

Magicked said:
I've been playing on my MBP in my bootcamp partition (Windows 7) and it runs and looks amazing. I have a 2.8 GHz dual core, 4 GB RAM, and 9600M GT (512 MB). I play with everything on high, but no AA or anything.

This game is amazing. I still haven't finished any of the major quests though. It's incredible how much effort they put into the characters and plot.

That doesn't sound too bad, Macbooks are a bit expensive but if one was able to find a laptop with similar specs and another brand, hm..

How's the framerate holding up?

epmode

gregor7777 said:
Can someone email Bethesda and see if they'd be willing to sell the Fallout license to Bioware?

Fallout 4 needs to be running on this engine. Hot damn if this game doesn't bring me back to the glory days.

Isometric + pause = love.
I agree. I'm really, really liking the combat system. Much more than the old Infinity Engine games, even.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
JoeBoy101 said:
Depending on WHEN you get Zevran, fair warning. His ability to pick locks and find traps is for shit. For rogue details, Leilana is much much better. For a backstabbing damage dealing fool, he's better.

For romancing Leilana, you need to get her pretty much at 100 relationship score. The Andraste flowers really help with it. And you won't be able to profess love until after you do her sidequest.

Details. I wanna hit Leilana and Morrigan!

Where are these flowers? What's her quest? =P

JDS 1977

Banned
Best Buy kinda fucked me out of my CE preorder. So since it seems like no one has a CE anymore am I really missing out for those who have a CE? Will those extra perks really affect the game in the end? Or will I be ok just getting the standard edition? For PC by the way.

nubbe

JoeBoy101 said:
Nuhu, I think I had 50-60 something when I did here. She was my first conquest.
But it might be easier with a female character.

Zeliard

GasProblem said:
Hmm, I was planning on Alistair, Shale and Morrigan, but Zevran instead of Morrigan sounds nice too. More to think about :p

I like Morrigan, and her banter with Alistair is great, but Zevran is an amusing dude and more useful to me in combat.

Alistair, Zevran and Shale make quite the conversational trio.

Anerythristic said:
Can you go deep in the game with straight melee?

Dunno, my main guy is a pure mage. :p

And prior to getting Zevran, I had Morrigan in my party. The going would probably be pretty tough later on, at least on Hard, without a mage in your foursome healing people, inflicting status ailments and casting anti-magic on enemy mages.

JoeBoy101 said:

Zevran's far superior in combat than Leilana is due to his Assassin specialization, and there never seems to be anything all that fantastic in the locked chests (many of which you can open by simply subbing Leilana in out on the field).

JoeBoy101

Relix said:
Details. I wanna hit Leilana and Morrigan!

Where are these flowers? What's her quest? =P

Her quest starts from a failed hit aimed at her from her old mentor who betrayed her back in Olais (sp?). You then go to Denerium to deal with her. I have only encountered the flowers twice in the game, but they are a personal gift, where when you give it to her, you get a special dialogue. One is in the first area of forest when you help the elves. The other is next to the mill (IIRC?) in Redcliffe. I also made sure (through judicious Quick Save/Load use) that I gave her all the gifts that were larger bonuses for her. Also, listen to her bard stories. Other than being nice background material, you get an influence point for each one you hear for the first time. Morrigan is easy, but Leilana takes some time.

Though once you get her in the sack, she's up for repeated performances whenever you ask. (You only get the cutscene once though)

JoeBoy101

nubbe said:
Nuhu, I think I had 50-60 something when I did here. She was my first conquest.
But it might be easier with a female character.

I think that might be true. She seems to more readily bat for the same team.

Rolf NB

I wonder if I should buy this
on console
. Need to know if the combat is solid/fun in itself and if there's decent exploration to do. Don't really care about cutscenes and dialog and all that.

For reference, I really liked Baldur's Gate, but then I bought Neverwinter Nights at a high price, and Kotor, too. I feel Bioware still owes me two good games. Is this the right time to forgive them?

Tobor

bcn-ron said:
on console
. Need to know if the combat is solid/fun in itself and if there's decent exploration to do. Don't really care about cutscenes and dialog and all that.

For reference, I really liked Baldur's Gate, but then I bought Neverwinter Nights at a high price, and Kotor, too. I feel Bioware still owes me two good games. Is this the right time to forgive them?
If you hated KOTOR, you should probably skip this. And question your sanity. ;)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm nearing the end of the game. I am 46 hours in and have united all of the factions and am now back in Denerim kicking some ass. Man it felt good to kill
Howe
as a human noble character. I wish I got some kind of decapitation animation. I must say, the boss
female knight at the end of Howe's estate
was a total badass. She pretty much one-shotted my caster types and took half of my tank's health with each swing. That was a tough battle.

I am still not sure who I will try to place on the
I am thinking of going 100% Alistair and showing no mercy for Loghain or his daugther, but I also think it might be a good idea to marry the two of them. In my next playthrough I am definitely going to marry her and take the throne for myself, though.

Also, high level battles against archers suck! I hate their scatter shot ability with a passion. Whenever I get in a fight with an archer I always run my guys around a corner and try to ambush them.

dionysus

Yaldog
bcn-ron said:
on console

Exploration is not a strong point of this game. For comparison to another recent wrpg, Risen has 100x more exploration than DA.

Ceebs

dionysus said:
Exploration is not a strong point of this game. For comparison to another recent wrpg, Risen has 100x more exploration than DA.
I am torn on which game I liked better though. They are both must plays if you like RPGs at all.

nubbe

DA is built around modules and not an open world.
No, DA has no exploration. It is more like an interactive novel

kodt

Banned
nubbe said:
DA is built around modules and not an open world.
No, DA has no exploration. It is more like an interactive novel

True, it makes up for it in combat though. Each encounter is a challenge and requires some strategy to beat. I find myself wiping on trash mobs (mmo terms lul) if I don't manage my team effectively.

Rolf NB

But they got rid of the funny AD&D3.5isms, yes? No more memorizing spells and resting after every other battle? No more missing your swing 3 out of 4 times? Right?

Zeliard

Soemone pointed this out a while back, but it's awesome how varied the random world map battles are. I haven't had two of them that are the same, in terms of environment and enemy configuration.

I have a little frustration with the fact that leveling up is a precious thing and you have to spend your points and skills so carefully. I feel I made two or possibly three bad decisions with leveling. :(

Top Bottom