• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Macattk15

Zzoram said:
I think you open inventory, page over to the party member who you want to give it to (so you see their equipment slots) then "use" the gift.

Alright cool. I knew it had to be something easy, could of sworn that I was doing this in all my random clicking , but apparently I wasn't!

Ceebs

iam220 said:
You've got 2 rouges in your party? Interesting ... I'm not sure I'd be able to handle some of the harder encounters like that, unless I bump down the difficulty level.
My mage is speced almost completely in crowd control and healing. I have all the fun Entropy stuff, Ice up the cone spell, stone fist. Then Spirit healer and blood Mage talents. The mage can take down 4 white level foes in the time it takes the other 3 to handle one or 2. I have not really seen any difficulty spikes thus far. A well built mage can shut down an entire encounter pretty easily.

This wasn't really answered.

Do you guys feel you can recover from taking a couple of skills you regret selecting. With my Rogue, I wanted to take combat archery so I can use ranged weapons but then dropped another couple of points into archery for pinning shot and aiming, oops, bad idea.

Zeliard

Ceebs said:
My mage is speced almost completely in crowd control and healing. I have all the fun Entropy stuff, Ice up the cone spell, stone fist. Then Spirit healer and blood Mage talents. The mage can take down 4 white level foes in the time it takes the other 3 to handle one or 2. I have not really seen any difficulty spikes thus far. A well built mage can shut down an entire encounter pretty easily.

Yeah, mages, as usual in Bioware games, are a force.

Fuck I'm still annoyed about reading that Shale spoiler. Goddamit, of all the luck. It's a hell of a twist, too.

Ceebs

Anerythristic said:
This wasn't really answered.

Do you guys feel you can recover from taking a couple of skills you regret selecting. With my Rogue, I wanted to take combat archery so I can use ranged weapons but then dropped another couple of points into archery for pinning shot and aiming, oops, bad idea.
For sure. I foolishly set a few NPCs to auto level at the start because damned if I knew what stats a templar used for example. They have some terrible skills now, but they still function fine once gotten back on track.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So I'm going to take a break from Torchlight and get into this.

Before I start my Dalish Rogue, I'm wondering how backstab works. Is any rear attack a backstab, or is it triggered by a certain skill?

Edit: Holy shit, watch the spoilers.

Acidote

Acidote said:
I have a question about getting the Blood Mage spec. I've a save right before it so I can try different things.

I let Jowan out of his cell and said him to do wathever he want so get out and he said he had to help. Well, I'm in front of Isolda right now, with jowan by its side, I do the Blood Mage pass to the veil, and I can only pick Morrigan to enter it, so I choose her. Once in there, the first time I see Connor, I tell him that I want to see the demon. In the to next talks with him, I try to speak with the demon, but in the final speak with the demon, she gives me no choices and the fight begins whatever I do. Am I doing it wrong? Is it doable with Morrigan?

Thanks.

Pretty please?

Splatt

Anerythristic said:
Rogues don't suck. Lay traps at the doorway then tell your party to wait outside the same doorway. Stealth in and hit the group with a poison grenade of your choice then run out drawing them into the traps and into your waiting party. I just hope you are not using the Rogue as a Warrior

I'm afraid I haven't invested any points into traps. I went for a more of silver tongued, poison-laced dagger assasin type of rogue, with a little bit of archery experience. I did, however, put some points into poison making. I just need to get the money for recipes and needed indegrients.

Anyway, I
passed the Redcliffe part... well, except for the whole Urn of secret ashes thing. I used the tactic you described, minus the traps. Lure one or two enemies away from the pack with my rogue, and hit them with all I've got. Rinse and repeat.

Also
does the wench I gave 500 silver coins to leave the tavern at Redcliffe pay off later in the game? That's a lotta coins I gave her and there better be some reward down the line.

Zeliard

K.Jack said:
So I'm going to take a break from Torchlight and get into this.

Before I start my Dalish Rogue, I'm wondering how backstab works. Is any rear attack a backstab, or is it triggered by a certain skill?

Only rogues can backstab, and you have to be physically behind an opponent within a 120 degree angle. After gaining a certain skill (combat movement), it's 180 degrees. That also gives them a nice boost to flanking attacks in general.

Other classes can't backstab but they do get attack bonuses if they hit someone from behind.

Effect

Is there a way to have the game pause upon encountering an enemy in the console version?

I've been messing around in the options and haven't seen such an option. I figure in the PC version you can pause things (or have the game pause ala Neverwinter Nights) and then issue commands to each party member and then unpause it. Don't seem to be able to do that in the console version. On the flip side it has forced me to pay more attention to the tactics system though. The defaults worked until now but I've been tweaking them a bit and here and there and so far so good.

Strange that you could have the game do that in KOTOR on the console side and it was on by default I think in that game.

I wonder if I can put the party on full auto and site back and see how they fair. Only annoying thing is that I've ended up having my mage as the healer (me directly controlling him) as no one else seems to heal themselves. Only Morr seem to cast drain to heal herself. I guess I have to swap out something or rework a healing tactic on some of them to change that.

Doytch

Splatt said:
I'm afraid I haven't invested any points into traps. I went for a more of silver tongued, poison-laced dagger assasin type of rogue, with a little bit of archery experience. I did, however, put some points into poison making. I just need to get the money for recipes and needed indegrients.

Anyway, I
passed the Redcliffe part... well, except for the whole Urn of secret ashes thing. I used the tactic you described, minus the traps. Lure one or two enemies away from the pack with my rogue, and hit them with all I've got. Rinse and repeat.

Also
does the wench I gave 500 silver coins to leave the tavern at Redcliffe pay off later in the game? That's a lotta coins I gave her and there better be some reward down the line.
Re:Your second spoiler, I gave fifteen gold to
some broad hoping I'd get +influence with Alistair. Worst use of money ever. And my save game was way far back.

bran

Zeliard said:
Only rogues can backstab, and you have to be physically behind an opponent within a 120 degree angle. After gaining a certain skill (combat movement), it's 180 degrees. That also gives them a nice boost to flanking attacks in general.

Other classes can't backstab but they do get attack bonuses if they hit someone from behind.

120 or 180 bro?

Doytch said:
Re:Your second spoiler, I gave fifteen gold to
some broad hoping I'd get +influence with Alistair. Worst use of money ever. And my save game was way far back.

Same, that $lut was all about the goldz. I didn't even wanna get into Alistair's pants.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there any way to set it so that the player you control drinks a potion when you reach a certain health level? Tactics doesn't seem to be working unless I'm missing something even though I've got every party member doing it.

Flib

Acidote said:
Pretty please?

You can only do it with your player character, Morrigan and Wynne both refuse to bargain with the demon. I found this out the hard way last night :(

Fakto

Acidote said:
I have a question about getting the Blood Mage spec. I've a save right before it so I can try different things.

I let Jowan out of his cell and said him to do wathever he want so get out and he said he had to help. Well, I'm in front of Isolda right now, with jowan by its side, I do the Blood Mage pass to the veil, and I can only pick Morrigan to enter it, so I choose her. Once in there, the first time I see Connor, I tell him that I want to see the demon. In the to next talks with him, I try to speak with the demon, but in the final speak with the demon, she gives me no choices and the fight begins whatever I do. Am I doing it wrong? Is it doable with Morrigan?

Thanks.

Blood Mage is a Mage class, so,
you will have the options only if you main character is a Mage and you chose him to enter the Veil.

BeeDog

The character models in this game are really fucking good in my humble opinion, I like how my chick turned out:

2dv8xt0.jpg

(downscaled from 1920x1080)

Effect

Blood splatter is really insane though. I don't think the human body contains that much blood when you take into account how much shows up. Starting to approach anime levels I think where for example in some shows and manga a character can be slashed and spray out enough blood that could most likely fill a gallon bucket and still move around as if nothing happen. It's starting to become a little annoying too.

Psy-Phi

AstroLad said:
Is there any way to set it so that the player you control drinks a potion when you reach a certain health level? Tactics doesn't seem to be working unless I'm missing something even though I've got every party member doing it.
There's a specific command in the tactics for that. Self - Health <100/90/75/50/25/10% then....

I have it set on my tanks for 10%, to give me a little extra time if I don't cast a heal in time on one of my mages. Sometimes they get a bit overzealous and don't cast a heal soon enough because a firestorm is brewing or what have you.

Effect said:
Blood splatter is really insane though. I don't think the human body contains that much blood. It's starting to become a little annoying too.
I agree. Something I didn't like about the game from the previews shown. But thankfully it's not too bad to look at, just pretty unrealistic. I like the idea, but how do I get blood splatter from a spectral beast? Or a skeleton? And how come my hair is spotless after a fight while my face is covered in blood?

It's a good idea if it were more realistic, and didn't always happen all the time in the same pattern. I was also disappointed that I couldnt' run into water to wash it off if I so chose. The few areas where you can get your shins wet doesn't even clean it off. Spoiled by Uncharted (not that it has blood but getting wet and dry etc...)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Effect said:
Blood splatter is really insane though. I don't think the human body contains that much blood. It's starting to become a little annoying too.
I loved how after killing rats in my first mission my dudes were completely covered like they'd just slain a mastodon
There's a specific command in the tactics for that. Self - Health <100/90/75/50/25/10% then....
yeah i have the tactic set it just doesn't seem to work on ME (it does on the npcs though). maybe i'm just not giving it enough time....

NewLib

Banned
This is going to be one of the first games in a long time I am going to play more than once immediately after the first playthrogh. I have to. There is so much content that seems to be tied to your choices. I went male elf mage first time and I think Im going to go female dwarven city rogue next. I want to seduce Alistar and have sweet Man on Dwarf Woman action.

BioNut

Banned
BeeDog said:
The character models in this game are really fucking good in my humble opinion, I like how my chick turned out:

2dv8xt0.jpg

Take off all of her armor and then look at her body, horrible. I can do better than that with only a years worth of modeling under my belt. They used male rigs for the female bodies so they could use the same animations for both. This makes the women look out of proportion (look at morrigan from behind, specifically her shoulders).

The face models are pretty good though.

LCfiner

AstroLad said:
You're controlling the character so you do it :)

but, if you switch control to someone else, I would set your PC tactics such that self:health<50% is the FIRST entry. Then you should start chugging if you switch characters.

Zeliard

Effect said:
Blood splatter is really insane though. I don't think the human body contains that much blood when you take into account how much shows up. Starting to approach anime levels I think where for example in some shows and manga a character can be slashed and spray out enough blood that could most likely fill a gallon bucket and still move around as if nothing happen. It's starting to become a little annoying too.

I think the over-the-top manga/Kill Bill look and feel to the blood and gore was intentional. I really think it was purposefully meant to be campy. Look at the pools of blood that spread when an enemy is killed - their color and texture is very cartoony.

Plus, if you pause the game at any given moment when two groups are melee'ing the shit out of each other, the blood squirts out like you're watching Ninja Scroll.

Psy-Phi

AstroLad said:
I loved how after killing rats in my first mission my dudes were completely covered like they'd just slain a mastodon

yeah i have the tactic set it just doesn't seem to work on ME (it does on the npcs though). maybe i'm just not giving it enough time....

Ah, I see what you're asking now. Not just the character you created but the one you're actually in control of. Yeah, Tactics don't work at all on the character you control. It would be ncie to just pan out and watch a battle unfold though...

LCfiner said:
You're controlling the character so you do it :)

but, if you switch control to someone else, I would set your PC tactics such that self:health<50% is the FIRST entry. Then you should start chugging if you switch characters.

This is what cleared it up for me :p. I didn't even think Astro meant the one he was in control of when I read his question.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
BeeDog said:

2dv8xt0.jpg

Besides the incredibly low rez looking armor piece, the faces aren't something to write home about either .. I dunno, they look considerably worse than say, Mass Effect, to me at least.

Truant

chandoog said:
Besides the incredibly low rez looking armor piece, the faces aren't something to write home about either .. I dunno, they look considerably worse than say, Mass Effect, to me at least.

The Blood Dragon armor uses 360 textures. Why? I have no idea, but every other armor in the PC version looks a lot sharper.

Zeliard

Psy-Phi said:
Ah, I see what you're asking now. Not just the character you created but the one you're actually in control of. Yeah, Tactics don't work at all on the character you control. It would be ncie to just pan out and watch a battle unfold though...

Total A.I. control of your characters seems like something that can be fairly easily modded in to the PC version given the existence of the Tactics system. They would just have to set it so that every character is fully governed by their Tactics including the "active" one. While I'm sure that's easier said than done, it hardly seems impossible.

Psy-Phi

Stratman said:
Now that you mention it, Leliana did have a conversation with Morrigan about her showing off her neck and wearing a nice dress. Interesting stuff.
Heh, I hope you don't take that as flirting. Leilana is a woman from a place like that is the fashion capital of the world. She's all about fashion and appearance, and thinks women should show their beauty. Morrigan is the complete opposite, she's all about the practical. This is why they talk to one another as they do.

Zeliard

Psy-Phi said:
Heh, I hope you don't take that as flirting. Leilana is a woman from a place like Paris. She's all about fashion, and thinks women should show their beauty. Morrigan is the complete opposite, she's all about the practical. This is why they talk to one another as they do.

I'd have to seriously question that looking at Morrigan's default robe. :lol

SatelliteOfLove said:
I will never get used to Dwarves not speaking in brogue here.

And then you have others who heard one of the Irish/Scottish-accented dwarves in the game and feel free to proclaim the whole thing as completely derivative, despite the fact that there are various accents.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im so pissed right now. i was testing out spell resistances on different difficulty levels last night before bed. i get up and record like 5 hours of stuff.. most of it talking. i get into a battle and Sten is just thrashing everything. i start to think that im doing too well in battle and ffs i forgot to change it back. i have to take a break now.. i dont think i can restart just now. The worst of it is i used Leilana to rob everyone blind.. fml lol

man this game has been taking over my life lately.. so addictive!

i do have couple questions though.. i'm playing a human rogue.. would it be better to focus my leveling by putting skill points to certain skills rather than spreading it to balance it out(ie fallout 3)?

does anyone know what the level cap is?

Psy-Phi

Zeliard said:
I'd have to seriously question that looking at Morrigan's default robe. :lol

It's practical for her. It gets hot in the swamp, and she spends a lot of her time in various forms anyway :p. I'm taking what they say into account not what they look like or do :p. But also, Morrigan knows full well how to use her feminine wiles, and admits to it on more than one occasion. She plays men like fiddles.

Acidote

Thank you for answering my Blood mage question :)

New question! I hope it's not a bug! Flemeth related, you know what it is.

I've just killed a dragon (not flemeth, another one ;), and went to flemeth's hut in order to kill her, but she's not there!

Please tell me it's not bugged :3

Played quite a bit this weekend. I keep getting sidetracked by the side quests, even though I just want to run through the main quest :lol

Really like the game, though its frustratingly difficult at times.
Defending Redcliffe was ridiculous. Though it was fun destroying Conner (I kill everyone, if given the chance):lol

So I just sided with
Bhelen to be King of the Dwarves. Now I'm off to destroy the carta in Dust Town.

Anyone know the easiest way to get my Arcane Warrior talent? I've yet to find a trainer, or just find it adventuring around. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
chandoog said:

I think Mass Effect looks better than Dragon Age in every conceivable category. Dragon Age, honestly, looks like an early this gen game.

GSG Flash

Acidote said:

I've just killed a dragon (not flemeth, another one ;), and went to flemeth's hut in order to kill her, but she's not there!

Morrigan can't be with you when you go there.

Psy-Phi

Acidote said:

Hmm
I killed a dragon in the Brecilian Forest, wasn't as impressive as Flemmeth but was actually more challenging due to all the damned traps around. Killed that little dragon 3 areas before I went to kill Flemmeth. Not sure if it's the same one you got or not? But that is strange. Morrigan did say sooner the better...did you wait too long after initiating the quest?

GSG's reply above is your best hope. But I would assume you knew that already if you listened to Morrigan? ;)

Zeliard

GSG Flash said:
I think Mass Effect looks better than Dragon Age in every conceivable category. Dragon Age, honestly, looks like an early this gen game.

Mass Effect is middleware UE3 trash saved by decent art design. Dragon Age is a much-better looking game.

The character models in the game to me are very hit and miss. Think sometimes the animation especially on the face sometimes makes them look very off. Non animated they tend to look pretty good though.

GSG Flash

Zeliard said:
Mass Effect is middleware UE3 trash saved by decent art design. Dragon Age is a much-better looking game.

I disagree completely. On the PC Mass Effect looks much better than Dragon Age, and that's with me playing both games on high settings at 1440x900

DieH@rd

Banned
GOTMFY
game og the mother fucking year

NO game can touch this one; 11/10! I just started my final treaty quest [dwarves], 35hrs in, and so far it was a blast. The only struggle i had was in mages tower and little in andraste's quest, but since then it is 100% playable on Normal difficulty. Little good loot makes wonder.

Acidote

GSG Flash said:
Morrigan can't be with you when you go there.

Shit, that's it, I went without her the first time but got badly crushed so I decided to come back later and forgot that ;)

LCfiner

DieH@rd said:
GOTMFY
game og the mother fucking year

NO game can touch this one. 11/10
Well, 11/10 beats Uncharted's 21/20 so I think you may be right.

Until someone gives Demon's Soul an 8/7. But that won't be me.

DA is certainly my game of the year. And I don't see anything coming out that will change my mind.

Top Bottom