• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

iam220

What's everyones opinion on using 3 spellcasters and sten? I have entered the magi tower like this and so far every encounter has been cake. Although I haven't got too far yet ..

bran

iam220 said:
What's everyones opinion on using 3 spellcasters and sten? I have entered the magi tower like this and so far every encounter has been cake. Although I haven't got too far yet ..

Tri-healing is overpowered. Go with arcane warrior spec on some of your mages and you can tank crap too.

JoeBoy101

Zeliard said:
Soemone pointed this out a while back, but it's awesome how varied the random world map battles are. I haven't had two of them that are the same, in terms of environment and enemy configuration.

I like the one where you get a chance to ambush the ambushers for once. Plus, travelling merchants ROCK!

pc version and is say the Blood armour and Stone prisoner codes that come with the game are not recognized...what is this rubbish?

Any help?

Ceebs

iam220 said:
That sounds kinda boring to be honest. I like the options I have with Shale, Zevron, Leilana, and my spirit healer/blood mage. Gives me multiple ways of handling most encounters.

nelsonroyale said:
pc version and is say the Blood armour and Stone prisoner codes that come with the game are not recognized...what is this rubbish?

Any help?
Call the EA customer support or return it to the store for another copy.

nelsonroyale said:

Any help?

Hmm, retail version? Not sure about that. For the steam version you just enter the game CD code (you only get one code) at the Bioware site redeem page, then if you had the game open, restart the game.

nelsonroyale said:

Any help?

Don't enter the dashes. I had that problem - I typed them in and nothing happened. Try it without?

Zzoram

Number 2 said:
i think the one of the best things about the Dwarf Noble one.. is it really gives you a reason and a face to why you need to go back to Orzammar (i keep wanting to say Orgrimmar lol). The Human Noble has a reason but not really a face to put with what happened. Also the unfinished business you have is in Orzammar unlike the Human Noble. i await the day i enter my city once more :lol

Please tell me that Human Noble origin eventually leads you to catch up to
Howe
. I need
vengeance
. Don't give me details, a yes or no would suffice.

Is there a concensus on who the best mage is? In the early game I actually preferred Wynne in almost a cleric role, healing and buffing three strong melee characters. Was Iincorrect?

JoeBoy101

Anerythristic said:
Is there a concensus on who the best mage is? In the early game I actually preferred Wynne in almost a cleric role, healing and buffing three strong melee characters. Was Iincorrect?

All depends. Wynne is a great support, buffing and healing mage. Morrigan is better when control and actually doing damage. And that's where they start. How you level them up also becomes a consideration. I take 2 warrior types (my main being one of them) a rogue for mobile flanking, and Wynne for healing. If you swap one of the warrior types for a non, I would suggest getting Morrigan for the crowd control.

That's the beauty of all the NPCs so far. Most, if not all of them, are useful. There's not a worthless one in the bunch.

iam220

Ceebs said:
That sounds kinda boring to be honest. I like the options I have with Shale, Zevron, Leilana, and my spirit healer/blood mage. Gives me multiple ways of handling most encounters.

You've got 2 rouges in your party? Interesting ... I'm not sure I'd be able to handle some of the harder encounters like that, unless I bump down the difficulty level.

Splatt

I managed to beat the undead army in Redcliffe, but when I got to the castle, a mabari pack ate my party alive. *sigh* I knew I should have played as a frickin warrior... rogue sucks :/

iam220 said:
You've got 2 rouges in your party? Interesting ... I'm not sure I'd be able to handle some of the harder encounters like that, unless I bump down the difficulty level.

I'm playing as a rogue that I've essentially gone the warrior-rogue route with, and I have been running a Morrigan/Leilana/Shale party alongside. It's been working out fine, as long as Morrigan's tactics basically make her super aggressive and Leilana knows to spread some healing potions around.

Mindlog said:
It's in the skill or character detail screen. I forget which atm.

Hmmm been going through the menus all over the place and see no use or place where tactics are or why I spent my starting point on taking extra tactics slot which I can't even figure out how to use.

Splatt said:
I managed to beat the undead army in Redcliffe, but when I got to the castle, a mabari pack ate my party alive. *sigh* I knew I should have played as a frickin warrior... rogue sucks :/

Rogues don't suck. Lay traps at the doorway then tell your party to wait outside the same doorway. Stealth in and hit the group with a poison grenade of your choice then run out drawing them into the traps and into your waiting party. I just hope you are not using the Rogue as a Warrior

Zzoram

BattleMonkey said:
Hmmm been going through the menus all over the place and see no use or place where tactics are or why I spent my starting point on taking extra tactics slot which I can't even figure out how to use.

On PC, Tactics has it's own button at the top beside the Map and Main Menu. I'm not sure how the console UI is, but I would assume that the way you move between Character, Skill, Inventory, Journal, Map would also include Tactics.

Zzoram

nelsonroyale said:
when redeeming codes...what does 'refresh your wallet ballance in game mean'?

After you've redeemed the codes on the website, while logged into the same EA/Bioware account in-game, go to refresh balance and the DLC will show up.

LCfiner

BattleMonkey said:

go to the character info screen (not the equip screen) and hit Y or triangle. TACTICS!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is there any real use for jewels? I've got tons of them will I need them later or are they pretty much there for sale?

iam220

whatevermort said:
I'm playing as a rogue that I've essentially gone the warrior-rogue route with, and I have been running a Morrigan/Leilana/Shale party alongside. It's been working out fine, as long as Morrigan's tactics basically make her super aggressive and Leilana knows to spread some healing potions around.

On hard? (pc)

I will also do a warrior-rogue in my next play through, Shale and Morrigan sound like good companions for one, except that I'd probably swap Leilana with Wayne.

Zzoram said:
On PC, Tactics has it's own button at the top beside the Map and Main Menu. I'm not sure how the console UI is, but I would assume that the way you move between Character, Skill, Inventory, Journal, Map would also include Tactics.

Console UI is so messy, wish I waited for my PC because I keep just getting frustrated with this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow. Finished the game as a Human Noble, pretty effing sweet experience. Here's what I did at some pivotal moments.

- First off I didn't choose to kill or let any of my party go.
- Zevran did NOT betray me. He chose to fight for me when the crow's ambushed me in Denerim.
- I chose to kill Loghain and opted to become Alister's queen myself. Hur hur hur, fuck you anora :D
- I completed every side character's personal quest (except for Loghain, if he has one).
- I bunked Alister, Zeveran and a few loose women and a husky dwarf at the Pearl. Tried like MAD to get Leliana but no avail :( )
- At the end, I agree'd to let Morrigon have her way with Alister. The look on Alister's face in the cutscene is priceless. He's scared shitless or really repulsed, or both.

The ending epilogues being text only was kind of a bummer, I was half expecting something like Fallout 3's epilogues, voiced at least.

Also, one thing I'm really surprised at, I was expecting the original grey warden who gets killed off at the start to come back at some point in a twist or something.

Before I begin my second play through as a male character, can someone PLEASE tell me whether Morrigon will have sex with any type of male ? dwarf, elf, is it all good ?

Durante

:lol :lol

I just went to my Fraps folder to look for some screenshots and found out that I have over 40GB of DA:O movies. Apparently I pressed the wrong button once while playing yesterday. It's pretty amazing that I didn't even notice any performance degradiation because of that.

Durante said:

I just went to my Fraps folder to look for some screenshots and found out that I have over 40GB of DA:O movies. Apparently I pressed the wrong button once while playing yesterday. It's pretty amazing that I didn't even notice any performance degradiation because of that.

DA:O plays pretty nicely with Fraps. I've only noticed the framerate cut in half from a constant 60 to a constant 30, which isn't too bad.

Macattk15

GasProblem said:
Hmm, I was planning on Alistair, Shale and Morrigan, but Zevran instead of Morrigan sounds nice too. More to think about :p

I run Morrigan, Shale and Alistar. The bickering between Morrigan and Shale gets hillarious with him always referring to her as the Swamp Witch ... and her suggesting where one can put the control rod.

guys, please keep all endgame stuff spoilered. Even pet names for the outcomes.

I want to keep up with the thread but I feel like we're getting close to too much info about critical story parts.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Zeliard said:
Is anyone here running with a party of Alistair, Shale and Zevran? :lol

Best shit ever.

Yeah, I went with Alistair, Morrigan, and Zevran. The inter-party dialog is great.

Zevran: "What are you doing?"

Morrigan: "You mean besides the Grey Warden?"

DieH@rd

Banned
Peronthious said:

DA:O plays pretty nicely with Fraps. I've only noticed the framerate cut in half from a constant 60 to a constant 30, which isn't too bad.

You can record 60fps movies with fraps, go in its settings.

Acidote

I have a question about getting the Blood Mage spec. I've a save right before it so I can try different things.

I let Jowan out of his cell and said him to do wathever he want so get out and he said he had to help. Well, I'm in front of Isolda right now, with jowan by its side, I do the Blood Mage pass to the veil, and I can only pick Morrigan to enter it, so I choose her. Once in there, the first time I see Connor, I tell him that I want to see the demon. In the to next talks with him, I try to speak with the demon, but in the final speak with the demon, she gives me no choices and the fight begins whatever I do. Am I doing it wrong? Is it doable with Morrigan?

Thanks.

JoeBoy101

Zzoram said:
I'm tempted to have a party of Morrigan, Dog and Shale. Will having the Dog reduce dialogue a lot?

Oddly, no. A few characters that have had amusing dialogues with Dog include Wynn, Alistar, Leilana, and Sten. In camp, all the same and more.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Durante said:

40GB is nothing :lol 5-7 minutes is 4GB.. i wish Fraps would segment things in 10 minute intervals :(

Zeliard

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Yeah, I went with Alistair, Morrigan, and Zevran. The inter-party dialog is great.

Zevran: "What are you doing?"

Morrigan: "You mean besides the Grey Warden?"

There was also one exchange with Morrigan and Shale where he asked her if it were possible for her to turn into a Golem, and if so, why she wouldn't permanently remain as one given the "clear superiority of the form". :lol

(turns out she can't)

Shale really is fantastic. I accidentally read a large spoiler about him through google, though. :(

Edit: though, that spoiler actually makes him even more interesting. Still, it's a big fucking revelation and it would've been nice to arrive at it more naturally, so I would recommend not, uh, ever googling Shale for anything.

garath

So has everyone been selling those gems you get or are they used for anything specific (like enchantment or something)?

DieH@rd

Banned
Warnen said:
If you get the DLC when you travel around the world you will get a cut scene that kinda like superman crashing into earth, get the meteor metal left behind. Next take it to the Keep and talk to the black smith, he will make you a 2hand or 1hand sword, think its the best in the game (didn't find any better myself).

What DLC? I have WK and SP.

AndyD said:
Playing at 1920x1080 with everything maxed out on a 4890 and a quadcore amd with 4gb of ram.

Great funny writing though. Seems semi linear which is good. It will make me go back through a couple of times. How long is the entire game, main quest wise?
Im at 35hrs, and i dont see it ending for another 10hrs at least. Epic game. Shoulder to shoulder with my other GOTY contender Batman:AA.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
What's are the two best 'specializations' for my rogue. And where can i find the trainers?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Almost 20 hours in and am only at
the search for the Urn of Sacred Ashes. Haven't gone to any of the groups Mages, Dwarves, etc.

Utterly in love with the game. If the game maintains this level of quality it's easily the game of the year for me. It's hard only playing one hour at a time, it always ends up being 3+ hours and much later in the night than I was anticipating when I finally stop. I hate taking my GOTY away from Batman AA, but this game is soooo good. Maybe I will do a double award. I mean it's all just in my heart anyways and I have a big heart.

I see the game lasting atleast 60 hours for me as I do as many sidequests as possible and plan on doing a thorough reading of the codex before the game is over.

Macattk15

How do I give Gifts to people? I'm sure this was stated in the instruction manual but it's nowhere near me and I couldn't figure out how to do it by just clicking around. I've right-clicked inside the inventory screen over the gifts and see the gift box thing but it's usually grey-ed out.

Zzoram

Macattk15 said:
How do I give Gifts to people? I'm sure this was stated in the instruction manual but it's nowhere near me and I couldn't figure out how to do it by just clicking around. I've right-clicked inside the inventory screen over the gifts and see the gift box thing but it's usually grey-ed out.

I think you open inventory, page over to the party member who you want to give it to (so you see their equipment slots) then "use" the gift.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Macattk15 said:

Go in inventory and go through your party members until you get to the one you want to gift something too. Then drag the gift onto them. I'm usually pretty good at matching gifts to people to get the max appreciation bonus, but I do cheat and use guess and check sometimes

Edit: seconds late :(

Fakto

I asked for help to
the dwarfs, elfs, magi and in Red Cliff [not found the medicine for the arl yet]

And now I'm heading to the Capital, how far in the game am I ?

Fakto said:
I asked for help to
the dwarfs, elfs, magi and in Red Cliff [not found the medicine for the arl yet]

And now I'm heading to the Capital, how far in the game am I ?

Basically there are 6 broad quests in the main quest: gather the four armies, the city meetup to prep for war, and the finale. Everything else is sidequesting. So if you are on your way to the city prep, you have about 25% left (disregarding how much time you decide to sink into sidequests)

Chairhome

Finally got my copy from Amazon after a bit of a shipping debacle. They said the package was lost in transit, so they overnighted a new one which I received today... along with the original order. I let them know though, so they want me to return the other one. Oh well. Can't wait to play!

Top Bottom