• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Naeblish

Been loving the hell out of this game so far, but man, redcliffe sucks.

Redcliffe spoilers:
The night battle was ridiculous, like 8 waves of zombies, not fun on pc normal. Also, the overcrowded battles (7+ zombies) are too chaotic, though they are
challenging, they get tiresome if every battle is like that.

Against my principles i just decided to kill the boy connor, the bitch can cry all she wants, no way im going back to that boring ass fade.

Tokubetsu said:
Can't put my finger on it but I love my MC's expression here
Jezus fuck, do you have the option to disable or lower the bloodsplashes in the game? Because it actually bothers me. It feels like finishing a race with a wrecked car in forza :lol

bigswords

Naeblish said:
Been loving the hell out of this game so far, but man, redcliffe sucks.

Redcliffe spoilers:
The night battle was ridiculous, like 8 waves of zombies, not fun on pc normal. Also, the overcrowded battles (7+ zombies) are too chaotic, though they are
challenging, they get tiresome if every battle is like that.

Against my principles i just decided to kill the boy connor, the bitch can cry all she wants, no way im going back to that boring ass fade.

It's really really short....save the boy!

Ceebs

Dead said:
Her accent sounds like a cross between British and French. Its odd, yet strangely sexy ;P
I listened to every single one of her silly stories for this reason alone.

Also, anyone else feel that 7 bucks for the DLC was way too much? That lasted all of 30 minutes or so. Maybe it's just buyers remorse.

markot

Banned
I cant figure out what to do with flemeth >_<

I went to her thingy to kill her, then she weaseled her way out of it and I took the book... Then I tried to kill her, and she kicked my ass >_>

Should I just let her live? I dont even like that morrigan, with her poo pooing of all my good deeds!

Swag

Ceebs said:
I listened to every single one of her silly stories for this reason alone.

Also, anyone else feel that 7 bucks for the DLC was way too much? That lasted all of 30 minutes or so. Maybe it's just buyers remorse.

Shale's lasted me about 30 hours at this point, and Warden's keep opened up some weapon side quests. Been using the awesome sword I crafted there for the past 9 hours!

Sorry I'm being an ass :[

Ceebs

Sebulon3k said:
Shale's lasted me about 30 hours at this point, and Warden's keep opened up some weapon side quests. Been using the awesome sword I crafted there for the past 9 hours!

Sorry I'm being an ass :[
Weapon Sidequests? Guessing I can get these once the dude sets up shop there?

And Shale did not cost anything other than buying the game :D.

I can't read much in here as I am still only 17% through my first run. I'm doing every quest I come across - and loving them - and it's taken me around 15 hours so far, with both Shale and Warden's Keep taken into account.

Some spoiler-free things I'm noting:

* Shale is awesome.
* Morrigan is actually quite irritating - moreso than Liliana, and I thought, based on the videos, that it would be the other way around.
* I can't seem to please Sten no matter how hard I try.
* That silly elf is just Puss In Boots from Shrek, right?
* I'm grateful for the ability to shift difficulty on the fly - there are some brutal spikes in there.
* I haven't yet had to use Herbalism or potion-making or poisons or anything, outside of the occasional quest that requires it from you.
* Ranger is brilliant.

Swag

Ceebs said:
Weapon Sidequests? Guessing I can get these once the dude sets up shop there?

And Shale did not cost anything other than buying the game :D.

I keep forgetting that the digital deluxe edition was essentially just some extra armor and Warden's keep, the weapon sidequests are very underwhelming. Prepare to be disappointed, the weapon you get from it though is awesome!

Tokubetsu

whatevermort said:
I can't read much in here as I am still only 17% through my first run. I'm doing every quest I come across - and loving them - and it's taken me around 15 hours so far, with both Shale and Warden's Keep taken into account.

* Shale is awesome.
* Morrigan is actually quite irritating - moreso than Liliana, and I thought, based on the videos, that it would be the other way around.
* I'm grateful for the ability to shift difficulty on the fly - there are some brutal spikes in there.
* I haven't yet had to use Herbalism or potion-making or poisons or anything, outside of the occasional quest that requires it from you.
* Ranger is brilliant.

Morrigan gets better the more time you take to get to know her...as cliche as that sounds. She's kinda like GAF.

Dead

well not really...yet
Its a shame to hear Wardens Keep is overpriced. I kinda need it atm to dump a bunch of stuff in...

whatevermort said:

* Shale is awesome.
* Ranger is brilliant.
Funnily enough, some of the hardest fights for me were some of the random encounters on the world map. This one with a couple of mages and a bunch of bandits completely SLAUGHTERED me like 8 times before I finally gave in an lowered the difficulty level

Ceebs

Dead said:
Its a shame to hear Wardens Keep is overpriced. I kinda need it atm to dump a bunch of stuff in atm...
If you are playing the PC version there was a mod posted a page or two back that adds a storage chest to your camp.

markot

Banned
$7 bucks is like 10% of the price of the game. Given that, its just... not alot at all. I mean the quest was interesting, but its so quick, and then you get screwed when you finish it by not being allowed in the keep... and the new talents arent so great for my warrior... Meh to it. Kinda regret buying the CE edition, 15 bucks and not alot to show for it...

Splatt

The undead are kicking my ass in Redcliffe. I can fend the first wave fine, but when I get into the village, I beat half of their army and then the rest destroys me. Need to rethink my strategy.

Shinjitsu

Banned
So I fixed the slowdown issues I was having a couple days ago. I can NOT stop playing this game.

I'm in love with the party banter, I love how Shale is basicly fantasy HK-47:D

markot

Banned
Splatt said:
The undead are kicking my ass in Redcliffe. I can fend the first wave fine, but when I get into the village, I beat half of their army and then the rest destroys me. Need to rethink my strategy.
I died a few times. But! What I did, was stand near the archer that came to you for help, wait for the undead to come to you. Much more managable. All the dudes die anyway so dont bother with em.

Shouta

Ceebs said:
If you are playing the PC version there was a mod posted a page or two back that adds a storage chest to your camp.

I can't seem to get it to work myself, followed the instructions like it said.

Acidote

Spoiler about two dragons in the game:

Any advice on Flemeth and "Andraste"? I'm playing the PC Version (Hard) And god, there's no way I can kill them :D. Maybe I'm just too low level for it (13), I'm thinking on killing them on normal just for the loot.

Spoiler about the Reaper specialization:

Where can I get it? I think I had to side with the zealots of the Andraste Temple but I'm not sure of it.

Ceebs said:

What? Where's this post? I've to make this work :lol

Edited fixing typos.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 42 hours in and I just finished enlisting all of the factions. I did Ozrammar last and good lord I'm glad I did. It was by far the hardest. It was by far the longest and most difficult of the factions. I really really enjoyed the whole thing and the growing feeling of despair as you journeyed further into the deep roads was pretty intense. That place is fucked up.

I think I'm going to go do some side quests and try to take out that Dragon in the snow peaks again before progressing the story more.

Psy-Phi

whatevermort said:

* Shale is awesome.
* Ranger is brilliant.

I dig Morrigan's attitude, she's like the HK-47 of this game, except hawt. Plus, the "friendly" banter between her and Alistar is, more often than not, funny. But I've found myself spending more time with Liliana due to her abililties not crossing my own. I don't have anywhere near the same skills as Morrigan, but the mage job is filled by me just fine. She does have some great starting abilities for surviving though.

Also... difficulty does spike but you'd find it easier if you used poisons, potions and traps ;). Just have to micromanage the battles a bit until you get plenty of tactic slots for every circumstance...and even then if you want to maximize your rogue's potential still need to micro them.

Shale is a pretty cool character for his differences but getting him as late as I did his stats are all kinds of jacked up (30 str, 10 dex, 10 will....suck). But I don't like him much, for his 'personality'. He's a bit... abrasive . And I would prefer to keep the "nice" guys in my party since they mesh with me more. Though Morrigan finds her way in occasionally because she's so practical.

Zefah said:
I'm 42 hours in and I just finished enlisting all of the factions. I did Ozrammar last and good lord I'm glad I did. It was by far the hardest. It was by far the longest and most difficult of the factions. I really really enjoyed the whole thing and the growing feeling of despair as you journeyed further into the deep roads was pretty intense. That place is fucked up.

I think I'm going to go do some side quests and try to take out that Dragon in the snow peaks again before progressing the story more.

If you did it first it may have been the easiest; no levels mean enemies scale, scaled enemies should mean more abilities at higher level. I haven't gone there yet though either, saving it for last and I don't really know why. Nothing relaly pressing me to go there, I was curious about
Arcane Warrior for my character, and went to the Elves (figured it would have to be there, disappointed to find out that the merchant sold Shapeshifter -- happy later when I actually found out it was there, just deeper in the dungeon).

Waikis

hteng said:
what is the tanker job in this game?
wut? Sven has saved my arse so many times by taunting the enemies away from my casters and arranging them so that I can cast my AOE most effectively.

fanboi

Banned
question:

bought the game from Gamersgate, should I then download the patch from the official site or wait for a patch from GG?

Psy-Phi

Waikis said:
wut? Sven has saved my arse so many times by taunting the enemies away from my casters and arranging them so that I can cast my AOE most effectively.
Sten? :p

And yeah, he's good. Because he comes in that path. I used him to take out
Flemmeth
because of that Taunt ability. I hadn't been building Alistar in that mode at all (he is my sword and board but he's to absorb damage by hitting them to get their attention. After that battle I used Sten on, I'm spending the next two points to get that for Alistar, he's maxed in the shield tree anyway. Taunt makes it ridiculously easy to keep the damage focused on one person.

Tokubetsu

It's now 5:30 AM and I've put in well over 10 hours alone today. I should added that I got it installed this this morning...er, yesterday morning?

Ceebs

hteng said:
what is the tanker job in this game?
Are you asking what class you should pick to tank with? Warrior of course and there is a solid sword and board talent tree that will help you out there as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Holy christ there are some major bugs in the game that should have been caught.

There are some of the minor bugs - like quests being inaccessible due to finishing another quest but not disappearing from the quest log and I actually saw them reference the wrong audio file in a conversation - so the text would read one way but the character would say something completely different.

But there are three big bugs that people should know about on Xbox 360 anyway.

1) At some point your game may give you an "unable to load area" error message if you try to travel anywhere. You will get kicked out of the game and dumped to the main menu. You have to reset your game. Not a big deal, but I lost an hour of progress because I didn't think to save. Alternatively, save before every travel... I'd do it, but I'm just too lazy (and it saves so damn slow on 360).

The next two are plot spoilers, so read with care.

2)
Leliana
. One of the designers at BioWare has caught a bug that prevents the romance arc for this character from progressing. There is a solution if you are already on the romance path however. Read here:
http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/myviewtopic.html?topic=703604&forum=145&sp=15

3) Dwarfs Quest. This requires a lot of foreknowledge unfortunately, but it can mess up the end game and may prevent you from finishing the game.
Choose either Bhelen or Harrowmont right at the beginning. If you choose Bhelen, choose to do his quest and go into the Deep Roads to get the vote. If you choose Harrowmont, go to the Proving Grounds and fight. Do not do a mission for one and then change your mind about who will be king at the end of the quest line.
There is a way out of this if you keep clicking through all the possible dialog options - it's how I managed to break free - but just in case, it's best to avoid the problem altogether.

Lord Phol

So how screwed are us console peasants with this game?
Heard some worrying things about camera/control and PS3 framerate issues.
Since my PC is busted that's the only version I'll be able to get my hands on for quite some time :(.

Edit. Saw the GT comparison, there were quite some difference between the versions, the PC and 360 versions looked smooth, while the PS3 version slowed down quite abit, whyyyy!

nubbe

I love my bow, It is the only thing I can look at.

1zpr4uu.jpg

knitoe

Unlocking Blood Mage class is driving me crazy. Can it only be done if you play a Mage character? Here's my poblem. If you go evil route, Jorwan does the ritual so he can't enter fade. Morrigan won't deal. If you go good route with Circle tower, Jorwan can enter, but won't make any deal.

Ceebs

knitoe said:
Unlocking Blood Mage class is driving me crazy. Can it only be done if you play a Mage character? Here's my poblem. If you go evil route, Jorwan does the ritual so he can't enter fade. Morrigan won't deal. If you go good route with Circle tower, Jorwan can enter, but won't make any deal.
I think you do have to be a mage. I recall someone saying that the merchant at Warden's Peak will sell a Blood Mage book if you have the DLC.

I keep seeing screen of the PC version everywhere and every time i do I think about the shitty textures on the 360. GODDAMMIT.

To Edge of Reality who did the port: GAAAAAAAAH.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well that does it, finally finished all my character specific quests (unless the dog has one too).

And I have to say the game is probably glitched as far as romancing Leliana goes since at 100 approval and her side quest done, she's not throwing a bone even now.

Oh and enchantments, bloody awesome.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I keep seeing screen of the PC version everywhere and every time i do I think about the shitty textures on the 360. GODDAMMIT.

To Edge of Reality who did the port: GAAAAAAAAH.

In reality it actually isn't that big a difference, really, in motion. My wife is playing on her new PC in the same room as I'm playing the 360, and - bar the iso view she occasionally uses - it doesn't look that different. There's stuff missing sometimes, detailing mostly, but I don't think that the 360 is nearly as ugly as some people do.

Played all origins stories except one - Dwarf Commoner. Finishing all stories can take around 7-8 hrs easily if you play it on normal or hard on PC. Dwarf Noble story is fucking awesome. I think this may be best one out of six.

whatevermort said:
In reality it actually isn't that big a difference, really, in motion. My wife is playing on her new PC in the same room as I'm playing the 360, and - bar the iso view she occasionally uses - it doesn't look that different. There's stuff missing sometimes, detailing mostly, but I don't think that the 360 is nearly as ugly as some people do.

In motion i totally agree with you. Its hard to notice any of that when your moving. But you are in conversations alot in this game and its there i get sad. All those still closeups reveal all these blended textures and shitty mapping. Coming into this thread everyday and seeing PC screen shots posted is not helping me.

hteng

Banned
Ceebs said:
Are you asking what class you should pick to tank with? Warrior of course and there is a solid sword and board talent tree that will help you out there as well.

warrior with what specialization?

Durante

The
defense of Redcliffe
was quite hard (especially when you don't want to lose any NPCs), but it was awesome having fights with around 10 characters in total on your side and a similar number of enemies.

I've just done my first significant dungeon and I really really love this game. Of course I'm missing my 6 character party but other than that it almost felt like BG.

JoeBoy101

whatevermort said:

* Shale is awesome.
* Ranger is brilliant.

Sten is difficult but I managed to figure him out. In short, you need to think of him as a Klingon. He's not single-minded and militaristic. I found a few odd gifts that managed to up his relationship score a bit, but a key point was
when I took him to Haven to get the Sacred Ashes. As we entered town, he started griping with me, and when I pushed back he tried to take command from me. I told him nobody would follow him and he attacked me. After beating him down he quickly fell into line and I got a large influence boost from it. That led into getting his personal sidequest.

I won't go into the sidequest here, but it gives you a large influence bonus with him to complete it, and its not very difficult at all. Just involves a little running around.

Ceebs

hteng said:
warrior with what specialization?
Probably Templar and Champion. You would mainly want them for the stat boosts since most of the tanking talents are in the base warrior trees.

I still think Shale will be a better than than a player character will. He seems to have more tank related tools available.

DieH@rd

Banned
Damn, i realized afterward that those ghosts in Dalish ruins can give me Arcane Warrior specialisation.

IS THERE ANY PLACE WHERE I CAN BUY ARCANE WARRIOR MANUAL BOOK?

Top Bottom