• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Where is the "Diary of a Topsider" quest supposed to take place ? I have no idea, the game's not doing a good job of telling me either.

nataku

chandoog said:
Besides the incredibly low rez looking armor piece, the faces aren't something to write home about either .. I dunno, they look considerably worse than say, Mass Effect, to me at least.

Really? The faces look so much better than ME to me.

In ME, it was hard to get a character that looked good, face wise. The mouth specifically would always look like those pictures you see of people pushing out their lips when taking pictures. Either that, or they had some severe underbite. You couldn't quite get in-between very easily.

The environments look hit or miss, I guess. A lot of times in-doors can look nearly pre-rendered, especially when in the isometric view. It's then I think it looks better than ME. Some outdoor areas not so much.

Doytch

chandoog said:
what about us console peasents :(

i recall them saying something like mods being available on the 360 too .. or something.
daot-ani05.gif

BioNut said:
Take off all of her armor and then look at her body, horrible. I can do better than that with only a years worth of modeling under my belt. They used male rigs for the female bodies so they could use the same animations for both. This makes the women look out of proportion (look at morrigan from behind, specifically her shoulders).

The face models are pretty good though.

Agree completely. All the female models look horrendous. It's most noticeable on Morrigan since she's wearing the least by default.

Vustadumas said:
Anyone know the easiest way to get my Arcane Warrior talent? I've yet to find a trainer, or just find it adventuring around. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Without telling you the specifics it's in the werewolf/undead dungeon near the Dalish Elf camp (Brecalian Forest?)

There's a room where you find a phylactery and the spirit inside it wants to be 'freed' by destroying the phylactery, it'll teach you arcane warrior in return for helping it

mackloon

Neo Member
Just wondering....has anyone on the PS3 version been able to get their unlocks acquired through the Dragon Age Journey's flash game to work? I have 2 of the 3 done, but I have not been able to get the items in game with my EA account. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this, or been able to get it to work.

I stopped reading this thread last week at like page 70...i was shocked when i logged on and we are on page 138...holy...so sorry if this has already been mentioned...

-mackloon

Zzoram

Effect said:
Is there a way to have the game pause upon encountering an enemy in the console version?

I've been messing around in the options and haven't seen such an option. I figure in the PC version you can pause things (or have the game pause ala Neverwinter Nights) and then issue commands to each party member and then unpause it. Don't seem to be able to do that in the console version. On the flip side it has forced me to pay more attention to the tactics system though. The defaults worked until now but I've been tweaking them a bit and here and there and so far so good.

Strange that you could have the game do that in KOTOR on the console side and it was on by default I think in that game.

I wonder if I can put the party on full auto and site back and see how they fair. Only annoying thing is that I've ended up having my mage as the healer (me directly controlling him) as no one else seems to heal themselves. Only Morr seem to cast drain to heal herself. I guess I have to swap out something or rework a healing tactic on some of them to change that.

I'm not sure but it's in the options for the PC version, and I think it's on by default.

Naeblish

Has anyone had problems with shale DLC not showing up (in quest log and map), and been able to resolve it? I want Shale in my party but the fucking dlc is bugged, yes i have the game legit.

Zzoram

AstroLad said:
Is there any way to set it so that the player you control drinks a potion when you reach a certain health level? Tactics doesn't seem to be working unless I'm missing something even though I've got every party member doing it.

Tactics

Self <25% Health, use weakest Health Potion

Aedile

Anerythristic said:
Do you guys feel you can recover from taking a couple of skills you regret selecting. With my Rogue, I wanted to take combat archery so I can use ranged weapons but then dropped another couple of points into archery for pinning shot and aiming, oops, bad idea.

Making an archery rogue is a very good way to get stuck in the solo portion of the game, at least if you forgot to take 99 health pots. Then again, I didn't put any points in DW.

Yasser

who can make armour out of scales? i have some scales in my inventory and the quest but no idea who to see. tried the dwark in denerim market but no option. do i need a certain number of scales or am i talking to the wrong guy?

Durante

Wormdundee said:
Agree completely. All the female models look horrendous. It's most noticeable on Morrigan since she's wearing the least by default.
Yeah, they did a rather good job on the faces but the body models are really bad, with some proportions way off. And they walk like spiders.

What is up with wRPG developers and female 3D models, actually? (And no, I'm not looking for answers like "they've never seen one in real life" :p)
I guess part of it is compromises to accomodate all the different equipment in a game such as this.

GSG Flash said:
I think Mass Effect looks better than Dragon Age in every conceivable category. Dragon Age, honestly, looks like an early this gen game.
The exact opposite of this statement is my opinion. Except the early gen part comment, because that obvious hyperbole.

Edit: Except animations, yeah mass effect definitely has better animations.

Zzoram

AstroLad said:
I loved how after killing rats in my first mission my dudes were completely covered like they'd just slain a mastodon

yeah i have the tactic set it just doesn't seem to work on ME (it does on the npcs though). maybe i'm just not giving it enough time....

Oh, it's because when you have direct control the tactics turn off. If you switched to controlling one of the other people in your party, your main guy would start using his tactics.

NewLib

Banned
Aedile said:
Making an archery rogue is a very good way to get stuck in the solo portion of the game, at least if you forgot to take 99 health pots. Then again, I didn't put any points in DW.

I agree, but unlike other people I believe that archers have there use in this game. They arent the best damage dealers, but they do help in crowd control and work well with a mage when you are helping two fighters by using a bunch of status effects. Leliana has been a mainstay in my party because I Really like the archery/bard combo.

Durante

Archery is powered up by the hotfix mod available on the bioware social site (made by a bioware dev IIRC). It's the one that also fixes daggers.

Zzoram

macfoshizzle said:
man this game has been taking over my life lately.. so addictive!

i do have couple questions though.. i'm playing a human rogue.. would it be better to focus my leveling by putting skill points to certain skills rather than spreading it to balance it out(ie fallout 3)?

does anyone know what the level cap is?

Specializing is very important in Bioware games. You have other party members, so specialize everyone differently so they all compliment each other.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Enchantment?...Enchantment!!!!:lol :lol :lol

It's really awesome when he's
standing in the middle of a big pile of corpses right before the final boss, like HE killed them all
:lol

Zzoram

GSG Flash said:
I think Mass Effect looks better than Dragon Age in every conceivable category. Dragon Age, honestly, looks like an early this gen game.

Dragon Age was started in 2004 or so, before Mass Effect, so that's probably why.

Zzoram

Durante said:
Archery is powered up by the hotfix mod available on the bioware social site (made by a bioware dev IIRC). It's the one that also fixes daggers.

What changes does it specifically make? Just boost bow/dagger damage?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Zeliard said:
Only rogues can backstab, and you have to be physically behind an opponent within a 120 degree angle. After gaining a certain skill (combat movement), it's 180 degrees. That also gives them a nice boost to flanking attacks in general.

Other classes can't backstab but they do get attack bonuses if they hit someone from behind.
Thanks, and this leads to one final question. Is there a visual cue (like in Journeys), or is it known to be a backstab by increased damage alone?

Fredescu

Durante said:
Did you read the notes of that hotfix that says it significantly increases the difficulty of any encounter against archers?

somesang

You actually stab the guy. You can't miss it, he lunges full force and you see giant numbers flying upward. It's a great feeling.

Zzoram

K.Jack said:
Thanks, and this leads to one final question. Is there a visual cue (like in Journeys), or is it known to be a backstab by increased damage alone?

The backstab animation is a overhead stab, instead of the usual side-to-side slash. Damage is roughly doubled.

Durante

Both ME and DA have their strengths, I think it's wrong to claim that either is generally superior. DA has some very nice pre-calculated light maps though (with ambient occlusion, radiosity etc.). In terms of models it's important to remember that in DA you can have battles with over 30 human (or almost) participants in total, which is a lot more than anything in ME.

Zzoram said:
What changes does it specifically make? Just boost bow/dagger damage?
Best just read the notes: http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101

Fredescu said:
Did you read the notes of that hotfix that says it significantly increases the difficulty of any encounter against archers?
I did -- to me that seems inherent in powering up archery. Why wouldn't it?

mackloon

Neo Member
Anyone had problems getting the UNLOCKS from the Dragon Age Journeys Flash game to work in DA:O? I have the PS3 and can't get the first two I have unlocked to port in...? I was debating on playing to get that last unlock, if I am not going to be able to load it up.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Fredescu

Durante said:
Sure, it makes logical sense. It also makes logical sense not to install the thing because the back alley fights with four or more archers are hard enough as it is, especially when they get scattershot. I assume when they do fix it in a proper patch they will balance out the difficulty, but right now I'm enjoying the challenge enough to not want to mess with it.

Kosma

Banned
Yasser said:
who can make armour out of scales? i have some scales in my inventory and the quest but no idea who to see. tried the dwark in denerim market but no option. do i need a certain number of scales or am i talking to the wrong guy?

There is another shop on the market you got to go in.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
...wha?

So my rogue dual wielding daggers has been doing way less damage that he was supposed to considering his dex is way higher than strength?

Durante

mackloon said:
Anyone had problems getting the UNLOCKS from the Dragon Age Journeys Flash game to work in DA:O? I have the PS3 and can't get the first two I have unlocked to port in...? I was debating on playing to get that last unlock, if I am not going to be able to load it up.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Well, FWIW I got the opposite "problem" with the PC version. I got all 3 items even though I only unlocked 2.

slayn said:
...wha?

So my rogue dual wielding daggers has been doing way less damage that he was supposed to considering his dex is way higher than strength?
Yes.

Zeliard

Durante said:

The patch notes basically insinuate that the hotfix isn't recommended if you're playing on Hard or Nightmare due to the boost that enemy archers get in the game and how frequently they outnumber you.

Having said that, I'm gonna install it tonight and see what's up, since I have Zevran now.

Psy-Phi

Wormdundee said:

Desire Demon's say hello. But maybe I'm just entranced by their titties and the way they sensually rub themselves from time to time.

What? You guys never took a moment to admire that?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I will definitely be installing the patch. Archers being bad news sounds insignificant next to probably more than doubling my main character's damage.

bengraven

I like how when Leilana joins, she actually eggs Morrigan and I on to kiss. Then one little conversation about her being a bard and +2 or 3 approval and she's suddenly sick to her stomach when I make out with M.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Zeliard said:
The patch notes basically insinuate that the hotfix isn't recommended if you're playing on Hard or Nightmare due to the boost that enemy archers get in the game and how frequently they outnumber you.

Having said that, I'm gonna install it tonight and see what's up, since I have Zevran now.

Same here. I am on a normal playthrough and archery seems underpowered on my part. And thats my main thing on this character. Archer with dual wielding giant sword for close combat. It may not work in the end, but I am definitely giving it the old college try.

Doytch

nubbe said:
The master ranger pet is pretty awesome. Can take on a dragon on its own with some healing :p
Should I level Ranger before Bard then? Those are my archer's two specs and I haven't gotten any of the talents from either.

Speaking of archers, I did the Ashes quest yesterday, and one-shotting mages from the other side of the map before they can get a spell off is awesome. I also solo'd the Arcane Warrior boss in that dungeon with my archer while Shale/Alistair/Morrigan beat down the others. :lol

I just played through the Dwarven Noble origin story. Where the hell is all my DLC stuff like the Dragon Armour? Everything's gone when
you're put in prison.
How do I get it back?

Slackbladder said:
I just played through the Dwarven Noble origin story. Where the hell is all my DLC stuff like the Dragon Armour? Everything's gone when
you're put in prison.
How do I get it back?
I just looked around on the Bioware forums and it's a bug. Good God, how did they miss that?!!

Fredescu

When I set the "Enemy: Clustered with at least two allies" condition for Leliana, I get no "use ability" option in the action section. Anyone know why?

Slackbladder said:
you're put in prison.
How do I get it back?

It's a bug. Disable all your DLC, force-load your game. Save it. Then exit out, enable all the dlc, and load it up again. I'm pretty sure this will get you your items back, I know disabling the dlc before you lose the items and re-enabling afterwards works if you know to do it beforehand.

Top Bottom