• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

koji

luxarific said:
I read it, but it made Loghain's
actions in the game all the more confusing for me. I just don't see him betraying Maric's son by leaving him to die, even if he hates the Wardens. Maric is his best friend in the Stolen Throne. It just doesn't make sense.

I have yet to read the sequel, The Calling, though. That might shed some more light on why Loghain did what he does in the game.

I'm not that far in the game yet but from what I've seen so far and read in the books it makes a bit of sense

(some slight The Calling spoilers but no real details)

In The Calling Loghain is even more bitter compared to how he was in The Stolen Throne, Maric and Loghain stop being close friends, Maric has some kind of identity crisis and Loghain only thinks/acts for the sake of Ferelden.

I wasn't too surprised by his behaviour so far, a bit at first though.

Tokubetsu

Can anyone help me out with an Arcane Horror in the
in the werewolf lair/ruins. The one with the electrical protection traps/domes on the floor.
My biggest problem is the fight just goes on for too long, is there anyway to to bypass that bullshit and just down him quick..If I could just get my rogue and alistair in range.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Fredescu said:
I think there's one in Orzammar at the merchant near the tavern.
IIRC, the quartermaster in the Circle Tower also has one for sale for some ridiculous amount of coin (18 gold).

Naeblish

Tokubetsu said:
Can anyone help me out with an Arcane Horror in the
in the werewolf lair/ruins. The one with the electrical protection traps/domes on the floor.
My biggest problem is the fight just goes on for too long, is there anyway to to bypass that bullshit and just down him quick..If I could just get my rogue and alistair in range.
Keep luring his minions back to where you came from, he won't follow. When they are dead throw everything you have on him. Equip your warriors with bows because i believe he teleports when you get in those electrical area's.

protonion

Thinking of buying the game for ps3. Just one question.
Generally I am not a fan of the genre, but I loved bg2.I don't care about battle systems, loot, classes or whatever.All I look for in these games are quests.I still remember the awesome chapter in bg2 where you had to earn a lot of money by doing random quests.Each of them was so unique and well done I forgot about the main story.
Will DA satisfy me in this regard??

Yoboman

FilthyLies said:
I triggered a pretty cool scene in camp earlier where she sings a pretty beautiful song. However, the animation was horrid, so I just kinda chose to avert my eyes whenever it showed her lip-synching. :lol
That was easily the most embarassing moment in the game :lol

And all the characters are just staring at her blankly in the same way I was like "are you serious?"

Fredescu

Yoboman said:
That was easily the most embarassing moment in the game :lol

And all the characters are just staring at her blankly in the same way I was like "are you serious?"
I thought it was touching, but the animation ruined it.

Ventrue

Without going back to the last page, you guys are talking about the fucking singing, right?

It was overly ambitious. The animation just didn't sell it. If the singing had been more natural and less of a 'song' it might've been okay but it just came off as really surreal.

roMonster

HallucinatingElvis said:
Morrigan hates me no matter what I do....-10this, -20 that gah! She just left my party too while we were at camp. dammit

I'm afraid to keep Alistar in my group because 1.
I used to blood magic to save the boy
and 2.
I sided with the new Haven people to become a Reaver.
He freaking hates me--no matter how many gifts I give him, lol.

Lyonaz

So I got 1 main questline done, the Arl of Redcliffe, just saved him, found the Urn and all.

Am off to the Dalish Elfs.

Question about the dragon you encounter at the place off the Urn, what level do you need to be to defeat her? She totally kicked my ass, so I just skipped her.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Lyonaz said:
So I got 1 main questline done, the Arl of Redcliffe, just saved him, found the Urn and all.

Am off to the Dalish Elfs.

Question about the dragon you encounter at the place off the Urn, what level do you need to be to defeat her? She totally kicked my ass, so I just skipped her.

In my first game, I beat it at level 10 on normal.

Lyonaz

Damn I'm level 13 and my team gets wiped out.
I'm a dualwielding berserker, with Shale, Alistair and Wynne. PS3 btw. Maybe I need to tweak my groups tactics.

Fredescu

Lyonaz said:
Damn I'm level 13 and my team gets wiped out.
I'm a dualwielding berserker, with Shale, Alistair and Wynne. PS3 btw. Maybe I need to tweak my groups tactics.
Ranged DPS would make it easier. I did it at around the same level as you with me (spirit healer, like Wynne), Leliana using archery (unpatched), Alistair and Shale. Put a tank at the front, a tank at the back, and keep the other two well out of range of the AE damage. After that it's just endurance. Take a few pots and you should be fine.

nubbe

HallucinatingElvis said:
Morrigan hates me no matter what I do....-10this, -20 that gah! She just left my party too while we were at camp. dammit
She and I have the same world view. We always get along.

Shes my twin soul
:3 <3

She must be chaotic evil, like me :p

Minsc

Gold Member
So I finally installed this last night... just want to say it looks like a good time!

1920x1200, max everything, 60 fps, 8xAA + 16x AF :D

The DLC was a real pain to get going, it wouldn't take Steam's numbers the first few tries, and then it took ~15 minutes to download (while the whole Dragon Age game itself only took about an hour).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ventrue said:
Without going back to the last page, you guys are talking about the fucking singing, right?

It was overly ambitious. The animation just didn't sell it. If the singing had been more natural and less of a 'song' it might've been okay but it just came off as really surreal.

Interestingly, David Gaider (the lead writer) loves that moment. He posted in a random Leliana thread about how the song was well produced by the VO studio. :lol

Dunlop

Minsc said:
So I finally installed this last night... just want to say it looks like a good time!

1920x1200, max everything, 60 fps, 8xAA + 16x AF :D

The DLC was a real pain to get going, it wouldn't take Steam's numbers the first few tries, and then it took ~15 minutes to download (while the whole Dragon Age game itself only took about an hour).

I don't have the option to go past 1680 x 1050, my vid card is a GTX 260 but my monitor is E228WFP dell

: (

I never realized that was the max resolution of this monitor

Doytch

Just finished the Dwarf recruitment last night, WOW. Great storyline is great. Having Shale there turned into a nice bonus. Also, Topsider's longsword is awesome. :D

Generally I am not a fan of the genre, but I loved bg2.I don't care about battle systems, loot, classes or whatever.All I look for in these games are quests.I still remember the awesome chapter in bg2 where you had to earn a lot of money by doing random quests.Each of them was so unique and well done I forgot about the main story.
Will DA satisfy me in this regard??
I'm really enjoying the sidequests in this game. Picking up a random item can add an entry into your codex about something you didn't know, and further items will flesh it out, sometimes ultimately letting you figure out how the "quest" is solved by yourself (a summoning ritual, how to construct a key for a lockbox, etc). They are leagues better than the shitty quests in ME, and give the feeling that it's a real world where you can learn things on the fly that don't have to do with the main quest.

syllogism

Some random banter quotes:

Wynne: You must know that murder is wrong, I assume.
Zevran: I'm sorry...are you speaking to me?
Wynne: That is why you wish to leave your Crows. A crisis of conscience.
Zevran: Yes, that is exactly that.
Wynne: Joke if you wish, but I have the feeling that deep down you regret the life you have lived.
Zevran: It's true. I regret it all.
Wynne: Must you be such a child? Are you incapable of a single, serious conversation?
Zevran: I know. I am terrible and it makes me sad. May I rest my head in your bosom? I wish to cry.
Wynne: You can cry well away from my bosom, I'm certain.
Zevran: Did I tell you I was an orphan? I never knew my mother.
Wynne: Egad. I give up.

Wynne: Have you changed your mind, yet? Are you willing to speak seriously?
Zevran: Of your bosom? As you wish.
Wynne: No, I do not wish to speak of my bosom.
Zevran: But it is a marvelous bosom. I have seen women half your age who have not held up half so well. Perhaps it is a magical bosom?
Wynne: Stop...talking about my bosom.
Zevran: But I thought you wished to speak seriously?
Wynne: I do. I thought, however foolishly, that you might be willing to speak of your past.
Zevran: We could do that. There have been many bosoms in my past, though few as fine as yours.
Wynne: Enough. I am ending this conversation.

Wynne: Alistair, what's this?
Alistair: A sock?
Wynne: It's a filthy sock. How did it find its way to my bedroll?
Alistair: Maybe it likes you? Socks are sneaky like that. Anyway, its not mine.
Wynne: It has your name stitched on it.
Alistair: Oh. Ha, ha. Ha. Part of templar training, back at the Chantry. The men...were always getting their socks mixed up. Anyway, uh, sorry about that. I'll take it from you right now. One of my socks is feeling a little damp anyway. A change would be nice.
Wynne: You're going to put it on? Its filthy!
Alistair: And dry. We're not exactly traveling in the lap of luxury here.
Wynne: What hideous habits you've picked up.

PC: How do you shrink a Golem?
Shale: "With a chisel...and a lot of *nerve*.

Oghren: Loooootta tension.
Allistair: *sarcastically* How could you ever tell?
Oghren: Know what I would do to ease the tension?
Allistair: What?
Oghren: Pull out a rag and give the ol' weapon a nice polish.
Allistair: That's disgusting!
Oghren: Oh come on, don't tell me you never gave the ol' sword a spitshine.
Allistair: Never!
Oghren: Damn Chantry and their rules... Know where I love to do it best?
Allistair: Do I even WANT to know?
Oghren: In public.
Allistair: Where everyone can see you? Gross!
Oghren: Yeeeeeeep.
Allistair: I ne--Wait, what are you talking about?
Oghren: What are YOU talking about?

e: bonus oghren+alistair video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb-tIfCYzlA&feature=related

luxarific

Nork unification denier
koji said:
I'm not that far in the game yet but from what I've seen so far and read in the books it makes a bit of sense

(some slight The Calling spoilers but no real details)

In The Calling Loghain is even more bitter compared to how he was in The Stolen Throne, Maric and Loghain stop being close friends, Maric has some kind of identity crisis and Loghain only thinks/acts for the sake of Ferelden.

I wasn't too surprised by his behaviour so far, a bit at first though.

Well, I obviously have to read The Calling then, as The Stolen Throne doesn't set up Loghain for the game at all.

Hobbun

I played for a couple of hours last night and am really enjoying it, although this kind of game is usually not my type.

I picked the mage class and finished off The Harrowing. Was kind of worried at first as Mouse (the bear) died in the wolf fight and then in the demon fight and he received no XP. But then realizing he was the ‘true’ test it didn’t worry too much.

Is the XP limited in this game? Meaning, enemies don’t respawn? If that is the case, I don’t really like that too much in the case my characters do die in battles and therefore I wouldn’t receive XP for them. I guess if any die, I will be doing a reload if this is true on enemies not respawning.

Fredescu

Hobbun said:
Is the XP limited in this game? Meaning, enemies don’t respawn? If that is the case, I don’t really like that too much in the case my characters do die in battles and therefore I wouldn’t receive XP for them. I guess if any die, I will be doing a reload if this is true on enemies not respawning.
Yes, but I'm fairly sure they still get XP while dead.

syllogism

Hobbun said:
They still get xp and if you leave them in the camp and level up the main character, they'll be set to your current level

koji

Il Comodino said:
Some one can help me?

the Ps3 Us version of Dragon Age has the multiple language? Language like Italian?

thanks!!

I think it's multilanguage yes, but the DLC is regio-bound, so you won't be able to use DLC in EU on a US import copy.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
koji said:
I think it's multilanguage yes, but the DLC is regio-bound, so you won't be able to use DLC in EU on a US import copy.

no problem I buy the DLC from the PSN Usa ;)

But you are sure about the italian?

I buy the game in $ becouse now 1.50 $ = 1 euro :D

Dunlop

Is the origins story just the first part of the game? I see there is already an achievement done for my warrior dwarf noble. Cool storyline

I am now questioning whether I really want to go with the dwarf tank as opposed to a mage or a dual wielding Drizzt wannabe.

I only just
hooked up with the Grey Wardens

firehawk12

Subete no aware
syllogism said:
They still get xp and if you leave them in the camp and level up the main character, they'll be set to your current level

They gain the XP, but you don`t have to level up yourself.

It`s a nice change from forcing you to choose who to bring with you anyway.

syllogism

firehawk12 said:
They gain the XP, but you don`t have to level up yourself.

It`s a nice change from forcing you to choose who to bring with you anyway.
No, I mean if the npc is level 15 and you leave him in the camp and the main character hits level 17, the npc will be level 17 and not 16.

koji

Il Comodino said:
no problem I buy the DLC from the PSN Usa ;)

But you are sure about the italian?

I buy the game in $ becouse now 1.50 $ = 1 euro :D

PS3
===
English
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
Polish
Russian

This is for retail box versions. Digital distribution versions will vary per distributor.

Depending on your region of the world will determine which language options you can purchase. For example some console versions have are PAL and some are NTSC. Some retailers may only sell the English version while others will sell the ones with more languages. You will need to check with your specific retailer for more information.

-> http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=695618&forum=135&sp=15 (posted by Derek French, Technical Producer)

Hobbun

Fredescu said:
Yes, but I'm fairly sure they still get XP while dead.

Well, I know
Mouse (the bear) did not get XP when he died against the wolves and then the demon. But I don't know if that is an exception or not.

I do know that you get XP when leaving party members in the camp, which is nice. And as for leveling up everyone, I would prefer to do it myself. What if party members level up a couple levels worth in the camp, do I have the option to pick their advancement, or can you only do that with characters in your current party?

koji

Hobbun said:
I do know that you get XP when leaving party members in the camp, which is nice. And as for leveling up everyone, I would prefer to do it myself. What if party members level up a couple levels worth in the camp, do I have the option to pick their advancement, or can you only do that with characters in your current party?

You can disable the auto-leveling in the character sheet.

You have to party up with them first to do it though, think it's on by default.

Hari Seldon

I installed a respec mod and redid my mage spells. Much better now :). Mods are so easy to install in this game, I can't wait for some more!

Doytch

I found out last night you don't have to get in a party with any companions for leveling them. Just like you'd open their inventory in camp, open their character sheet and you can click the level up button and level them in camp by picking their attributes and feats.

I installed a respec mod and redid my mage spells. Much better now :). Mods are so easy to install in this game, I can't wait for some more!
Yeah, gonna do this tonight, since Morrigan is fucked up (and I want to reclaim the one feat it forced on me with Dirty Fighting which I never use as an archer). Question though, how does it handle specializations. The project page (assuming you're using the raven-based one) is a little vague.

Hobbun

koji said:
You can disable the auto-leveling in the character sheet.

You have to party up with them first to do it though, think it's on by default.

Ok, so if I disable auto leveling for the characters I leave in the camp, when I return, does that mean they will have levels in que and I will have the option to level them (when putting them in my party again)?

Doytch

Hobbun said:
Ok, so if I disable auto leveling for the characters I leave in the camp, when I return, does that mean they will have levels in que and I will have the option to level them (when putting them in my party again)?
See my post above. You don't even need them in your party, you can just level them like you want in camp.

Hobbun

Ok, thanks.

I think your post went through when I was still writing mine.

And I think I am going to install a few mods as well. Thinking about the respecing as well and also the storage mod.

koji

Doytch said:
I found out last night you don't have to get in a party with any companions for leveling them. Just like you'd open their inventory in camp, open their character sheet and you can click the level up button and level them in camp by picking their attributes and feats.

Ah I didn't know that, good stuff, so that means no partying up to disable/check the auto level up thingy.

Hobbun said:

Yes, they'll show up with the little + next to their character portrait in your party list. Or by using the level up "button" in the character sheet

edit: :lol @ last posts

Doytch said:
Question though, how does it handle specializations. The project page (assuming you're using the raven-based one) is a little vague.

Wondering about that as well, I have a specilisation point not yet spend, will I lose that? it's a bit vague indeed Doytch. On the fence a bit atm cause I fear it'll screw up my client...

Hmm, maybe I just need to ask it on the project page thingy. :)

You are not supposed to loose any points. Even if you respec with unspent points you should retain all the points.

Fakto

Just finished the game ! ;D

• Arcane/Blood Mage lvl 24

Time played: 98 hours
    Locations: 95 %
    Completed: 51 %

I want an expansion with you being Morrigan's child ... NAO !

Well the respec mod needs some work. After installing it all of the equipped armor and weapons on the character disappeared. Probably had something to do that they were from the warden's keep dlc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
syllogism said:
No, I mean if the npc is level 15 and you leave him in the camp and the main character hits level 17, the npc will be level 17 and not 16.

I'm not sure that's the case, as I was always 1 level above everyone else. Of course, I banked up a few levels being leveling up because I wasn't sure how I was going to play the game, but I don't think that would change anything.

Doytch

Lostconfused said:
Well the respec mod needs some work. After installing it all of the equipped armor and weapons on the character disappeared. Probably had something to do that they were from the warden's keep dlc.
Most likely because you no longer meet the requirements of the armor, and it doesn't handle it as elegantly (and prone to abuse) as the base game. I'm guessing reloading and unequipping the stuff beforehand makes it work fine?

Doytch said:
Most likely because you no longer meet the requirements of the armor, and it doesn't handle it as elegantly (and prone to abuse) as the base game. I'm guessing reloading and unequipping the stuff beforehand makes it work fine?
Maybe its the stats, but probably no. Because this happened the moment I loaded up the game, none of my stats changed yet but all of the armor disappeared and it wasn't in the inventory. Also some of the weapons from the other characters disappeared as well. All of the items that did disappear were from warden's keep.

Top Bottom