• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Coldsnap

Yoboman said:
That was easily the most embarassing moment in the game :lol

And all the characters are just staring at her blankly in the same way I was like "are you serious?"

I'd say the mome embarassing moment in the game was;
getting falacio from Zevrahn

Anyone using 2H weapons? I have been using the Axe I got from killing that Dragon in the Urn quest for about 12 hours now. Need something new and better, I got the keening blade but its a 1hander.

Patryn

Tokubetsu said:
Can anyone help me out with an Arcane Horror in the
in the werewolf lair/ruins. The one with the electrical protection traps/domes on the floor.
My biggest problem is the fight just goes on for too long, is there anyway to to bypass that bullshit and just down him quick..If I could just get my rogue and alistair in range.
I found that one of the easiest fights in the game. I just equipped a long range bow on my main character (a rogue) and sniped from the top of the stairs leading to that area. All he did was throw little bolts of energy that barely hurt me. Didn't even need Wynne to heal me.

Never even knew about the electrical traps, because he was dead before I went down there.

Fakto

Coldsnap said:
Anyone using 2H weapons? I have been using the Axe I got from killing that Dragon in the Urn quest for about 12 hours now. Need something new and better, I got the keening blade but its a 1hander.

Nah, the best Axe I found was a 16,50 Dmg with 3 slots, no bonuses. If you are going with 2H, best way is the 2H swords. Do you have the Warden's keep ? better 2H Sword in the game comes from there.

Zeliard

Hari Seldon said:
I installed a respec mod and redid my mage spells. Much better now :). Mods are so easy to install in this game, I can't wait for some more!

Does it allow you to respect specializations as well?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So i finally made it through the Fade. Going solo with my character was a real bitch but once i got
other forms than mouse
things started to come together. The only problem i have now is that i have to replay the entire thing because i wasnt recording... i wasnt sure if i was going to be able to make it solo so i just played the game without fraps running. :lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
clashfan said:
Is there any use for all those gems like Ruby besides selling them for money?

I've asked this question 3 times in this thread. Hasn't been answered. I have sold the jewels to no adverse effect yet. So sell away.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
RbBrdMan said:
I've asked this question 3 times in this thread. Hasn't been answered. I have sold the jewels to no adverse effect yet. So sell away.
i think ive answered this at least twice in this thread... the gems are used with the Dwarves later in the game.

clashfan

RbBrdMan said:

All those jewels have been taking up my inventory slots. I was scared I might sell something useful.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Number 2 said:
i think ive answered this at least twice in this thread... the gems are used with the Dwarves later in the game.

Yeah, but only low value ones (garnets, malachites, and quartz, I think?). Whenever I donate my gems to the crates in my camp after recruiting the dwarves, it only asks me if I want to donate the low value ones. I think you're ok selling off the diamonds/sapphires/rubies.

Although you should keep the gems with "remarkable" attached to them - you give those to
Shale

Ruzai

Doytch said:
Yeah, gonna do this tonight, since Morrigan is fucked up (and I want to reclaim the one feat it forced on me with Dirty Fighting which I never use as an archer). Question though, how does it handle specializations. The project page (assuming you're using the raven-based one) is a little vague.

Zeliard said:
Does it allow you to respect specializations as well?

Yes it does, at least with the raven mod. It resets everything so you could respec Morrigan as a blood mage, or put the point back into shapeshifting, whatever you want. It'll also return any and all points gained from tomes, so you're not in danger of losing those.

Some things I've noticed from messing around with it:
- If you have more than 100 attribute points, the UI limits the level up to 100 at a time. So say you have 133 on you main, when you go to the level up page, you will only have 100 to distribute. However, if you finish the level up process and return the game, the '+' icon will still be by the character portrait, and if you go back in, the remaining attribute points will be there to use.
- Shale isn't fully respecable. You can set his attributes, and his warrior talents, but any points put into his golem skills are locked and unable to be shuffled around. The process also gives him skill points that he can not use with anything, which left him with a permanent '+' until I saved, quit, and restarted.
- Sten, I think, is the only companion without a specialization when he joins you, and he only got his first point for me at level fourteen. Respecing him does not return a second point from level seven. Don't know if this is a bug, hard coded, or a result of me not recruiting him until after I was already level eight or nine.

Lostconfused said:
Maybe its the stats, but probably no. Because this happened the moment I loaded up the game, none of my stats changed yet but all of the armor disappeared and it wasn't in the inventory. Also some of the weapons from the other characters disappeared as well. All of the items that did disappear were from warden's keep.

I didn't run into any problems like this. It almost sounds like the installation unchecked the Warden's Keep content somehow. Did you check to ensure it was still activated?

Tom Penny

2 questions

1) how do you have your party members teach you stuff?
2) when you level up you get to specialize or something in the menu at 7 and 14 . I missed the 1 at level 7. Do I lose that point once I get to 14?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Tom Penny said:
2 questions

2) when you level up you get to specialize or something in the menu at 7 and 14 . I missed the 1 at level 7. Do I lose that point once I get to 14?

1. by getting on their good side. If they like you enough they will teach their spec if they are able.

2. No. You can save the points until later.

DietRob

Somebody PM me and tell me how to become an Arcane Warrior. Spoilers be damned, I'm starting to think that I must have missed out on the opportunity. I'm level 11 now and have no specializations.

What do I do? I don't care to be spoiled on this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tom Penny said:
2 questions

1) You need to have them like you and then talk to them at camp. Morrigan seems to be the most difficult one to convince, it seems.

2) No, you can bank the specialization points - which is annoying because you can't bank the talent points.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RbBrdMan said:
Somebody PM me and tell me how to become an Arcane Warrior. Spoilers be damned, I'm starting to think that I must have missed out on the opportunity. I'm level 11 now and have no specializations.

You'll find this in a room on the (I believe) second floor of the
Brecelian Ruins during the Elf quest
. You can miss it, so check every room.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
RbBrdMan said:

About to send the PM, but I don't think I had any specializations by then either. I had two points to spend before finding my first.

DietRob

firehawk12 said:
You'll find this in a room on the (I believe) second floor of the
Brecelian Ruins during the Elf quest
. You can miss it, so check every room.

Archaix said:
About to send the PM, but I don't think I had any specializations by then either. I had two points to spend before finding my first.

Thanks guys. I thought for sure that I might have missed it. Whew.. I'm soo glad I didn't.

Tabs

RbBrdMan said:
I saw people answering this on the Bioware forums. They said that you can turn the jewels into the Dwarves at some point in the campaign, but I find the money more useful now.
edit: beaten

I know i should have seen it coming, but goddamn is the ps3 version ugly. Which would be ok if it didnt also perform so poorly... and had longass load times... and was buggy as shit... I need me a new pc...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fistwell said:
I know i should have seen it coming, but goddamn is the ps3 version ugly. Which would be ok if it didnt also perform so poorly... and had longass load times... and was buggy as shit... I need me a new pc...

That's funny because the GameSpot crew seem to think the PS3 version is the superior version. Figures.

Hobbun

Yes, the PC version is the superior one.

However, I will admit that the graphics/text seems a bit blurred, a bit muddied in some areas. I don't know if it may be the texturing. But bad texturing shouldn't cause slightly blurred text.

Not sure if it's my computer and/or monitor or just the game. My monitor is quite good and my system requirements are above recommended.

DietRob

Fistwell said:

1436542-1252956899-11032731203566373PCMasterRace2.PNG

Alucrid

Banned
Hobbun said:

However, I will admit that the graphics/text seems a bit blurred, a bit muddied in some areas. I don't know if it may be the texturing. But bad texturing shouldn't cause slightly blurred text.

Not sure if it's my computer and/or monitor or just the game. My monitor is quite good and my system requirements are above recommended.

How's the 360 version?

Hari Seldon

Hobbun said:

The scuttlebutt on some modding forums is that Bioware will be releasing higher-res PC textures in a patch shortly.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've been playing the 360 and PC versions back and forth and I think the 360 plays quite nicely. It definately isn't as sharp as the PC version, but the framerate holds up pretty well for the most part. Loadtimes(when installed to HDD) are almost as snappy as the PC version.

Of course you'll have to bump up the difficulty to Hard or Nightmare on console to get any real sort of challenge from the game compared to the PC version. All in all I can't exactly say if the PC version is THAT superior, I've really dug the 'direct control' feel that the console provides. Sometimes it feels good to just wade in with the analog stick and mash out crazy abilities with the face buttons, I mean if you didn't have any real issue playing Kotor on Xbox, then 360 Dragon Age will bring back similar memories.

Alucrid

Banned
Brandon F said:
I've been playing the 360 and PC versions back and forth and I think the 360 plays quite nicely. It definately isn't as sharp as the PC version, but the framerate holds up pretty well for the most part. Loadtimes(when installed to HDD) are almost as snappy as the PC version.

Of course you'll have to bump up the difficulty to Hard or Nightmare on console to get any real sort of challenge from the game compared to the PC version. All in all I can't exactly say if the PC version is THAT superior, I've really dug the 'direct control' feel that the console provides. Sometimes it feels good to just wade in with the analog stick and mash out crazy abilities with the face buttons, I mean if you didn't have any real issue playing Kotor on Xbox, then 360 Dragon Age will bring back similar memories.

Okay, thank you for that. I quite enjoyed KOTOR and KOTOR 2 on the original Xbox so then it appears that I should enjoys this. Problem solved, thanks.

Tom Penny

firehawk12 said:
1) You need to have them like you and then talk to them at camp. Morrigan seems to be the most difficult one to convince, it seems.

1) I give them stuff and then a heart goes on the screen with +1 +2 etc..Is that helping me "convince" them?

54-46!

Damn.. it's impossible to create a bad ass looking human/male character, I spent maybe 20 minutes making my dude and then played through the origin story.. and then "God damn it.. he looks like a pancy!" DELETE, START OVER. :lol

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Tom Penny said:
1) I give them stuff and then a heart goes on the screen with +1 +2 etc..Is that helping me "convince" them?

Yeah. Gifts are really easy, and the only way I could get Morrigan's rating up. She usually disliked what I did, and she seemed to have the fewest options through conversation to get her to approve.

Justinian

Wow, almost finished this game (the final boss is hard!) and my gosh it's fantastic.

The deep choices and the character development and combat are excellent, and you know what? The game is just FUN. I am having more fun playing this than I did Baldur's Gate 2, and that's a HUGE compliment.

Anyone catch the little tidbit at the end of Yatzee's Uncharted 2 review? He basically dismisses Uncharted 2 as mediocre and compares it to "something that matters" and a picture of Dragon Age pops up. It's an interesting stab and pretty much confirms DA will be a game he actually likes :lol

It's funny though, he basically shat on The Witcher and couldn't get through it before, so it will be interesting what he says about Dragon Age.

Vinci

Danish
54-46! said:
Damn.. it's impossible to create a bad ass looking human/male character, I spent maybe 20 minutes making my dude and then played through the origin story.. and then "God damn it.. he looks like a pancy!" DELETE, START OVER. :lol

My guy looks pretty good. When I get home, I'll post a screenshot of him so you can see. My first character, an elf rogue, was hideous though. Since then, I've had better luck.

EDIT: In fact, I'm hesitating in making a dwarf character based solely on the fact that I've never seen what I considered a cool looking one. As superficial as it is, I find them visually unappealing. I'll get around to making one eventually, of course; after all, I want to see all the origin stories, but yeah... I'm not a dwarf fan.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hari Seldon said:
The scuttlebutt on some modding forums is that Bioware will be releasing higher-res PC textures in a patch shortly.

Not surprising.

I cant tell a difference in lots of textures between medium and high so I think they may have forgotten a lot of the high res ones on obvious stuff like character and armor pieces.

If not, I am sure the modding community will help out with this game's textures to rival other mod efforts like Stalker and other communities.

Zeliard

Hari Seldon said:

Yeah, there is something very off about the texturing in the PC version and I noticed it very soon after first starting to play. It's incredibly inconsistent, and very noticeably so - you'll have a high-res piece of texture right next to a low-res one on the same exact character, and given the amount of close-ups the game goes with during conversations, this can be quite distracting. This oddly inconsistent texturing repeats itself throughout the game in various areas, including both characters and environments.

A high-res texture pack that keeps things consistent would do wonders for the visuals, especially in terms of overall coherency.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Zeliard said:
Yeah, there is something very off about the texturing in the PC version and I noticed it very soon after first starting to play. It's incredibly inconsistent, and very noticeably so - you'll have a high-res piece of texture right next to a low-res one on the same exact character, and given the amount of close-ups the game goes with during conversations, this can be quite distracting. This oddly inconsistent texturing repeats itself throughout the game in various areas, including both characters and environments.

A high-res texture pack that keeps things consistent would do wonders for the visuals.

They even have a weird DOF/LOD thing going on during cutscenes.

Armor with "feathers" on it as in the elf origin story is featured on close up characters (nearer the camera). It looks high res. And the characters behind (far side of camera) are in low res. Except that you can see the far side models in high res in between the feathers on the close up characters.

Its as if some of the feathers are see through and the low res is applied around the feathers which means the parts of the far side screen you see through the invisible feathers is still high res.

I expect a couple of healthy patches will come to the PC version sooner or later.

Hobbun

What’s really strange is the text also is a bit blurry. Not all of it, it's not my sharpness setting. There are areas on the screen the text is sharp, and areas that it is a bit blurry. Not to the extent you can’t read it and it isn’t horrible, but it is noticeable.

I’m used to seeing all of the text being sharp.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Chairhome said:
I gave my hound a bone outside of camp (from the inventory screen, I just dragged to his body). Did I mess up?

All you have to do is go to the inventory either while in camp or while they are in your party, select the character you want to give it to, and use the item. Most items will just give a small audio cue that they liked it to some degree, and there will be a heart +# with their like/dislike meter going up. A few items are specific to certain characters, they give you a little conversation about the item and sometimes give you a weapon or armor from it.

clashfan

rayner said:
It happens after a certain story point in the game. In the top Right corner on the World Map will be "Camp"

Thanks. This game has so much dept. It's like a 20 foot deep swimming pool and I'm still playing in the 3 feet section of the pool...

Dennis

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
Either Bioware will release a High Res update or the mod community will beat them to it.

A high res texture pack is already being worked on by a modder who did textures for Fallout 3

Link

Brandon F said:

Agree with everything he said, except the difficulty ... may be I am missing something but is there a way to cycle and target specific enemy like Kotor/Mass Effect? (on 360).

I love the game, once I finish 360, will get PC version after I upgrade it next year.

BattleMonkey said:
Morrigan is a callous bitch... hot callous bitch.... so you want her to like you then do some callous shit in conversations and game choices.

yeah...I was so irritated that she left I loaded up an old save and have actually got her liking me a bit , but then she wanted me to go
fight capt. Janeway and I got my ass handed to me, I even switched it to casual and it happened again....though my embarrassment was a bit more prolonged the second time through.

and was that
Tuvok I heard when I started the Elf quest?
that totally didnt need a spoiler did it....

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
antiquegamer said:
Agree with everything he said, except the difficulty ... may be I am missing something but is there a way to cycle and target specific enemy like Kotor/Mass Effect? (on 360).

I love the game, once I finish 360, will get PC version after I upgrade it next year.

You can use the D-Pad to cycle through haphazardly. It never seems to work exactly as you hope, and you seem to highlight the same three guys over and over again and if you go past the one you wanted, it takes just as long to get back to him, but you can, in theory, target using this method.

Chairhome

Archaix said:
All you have to do is go to the inventory either while in camp or while they are in your party, select the character you want to give it to, and use the item. Most items will just give a small audio cue that they liked it to some degree, and there will be a heart +# with their like/dislike meter going up. A few items are specific to certain characters, they give you a little conversation about the item and sometimes give you a weapon or armor from it.
Thanks, I just wasn't sure if you needed to do it in camp to get the loyalty points.

Top Bottom