• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zeliard

DennisK4 said:
Either Bioware will release a High Res update or the mod community will beat them to it.

A high res texture pack is already being worked on by a modder who did textures for Fallout 3

Link

I stopped playing Fallout 3 prior to the mods coming out - how did that guy's texture pack for it turn out?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Chairhome said:
Thanks, I just wasn't sure if you needed to do it in camp to get the loyalty points.

You don't need to do it in camp (but if you do it outside camp, you can only give gifts to the people who are in your party at the time). Also, you don't even need to be immediately next to people to give them stuff in camp.

So I preordered via steam (standard edition). How do I unlock the Stone Prisoner? I registered the game, but i can't seem to get the dlc recognized.

Any ideas?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Chairhome said:
I gave my hound a bone outside of camp (from the inventory screen, I just dragged to his body). Did I mess up?

The dog will always love you 100%, so giving it gifts is sort of pointless, I think. Except if you think he's a cute witty puppy, yes he is!, and so deserves treats. :)

Minsc

Gold Member
DayShallCome said:
So I preordered via steam (standard edition). How do I unlock the Stone Prisoner? I registered the game, but i can't seem to get the dlc recognized.

Any ideas?

I was able to register mine by clicking redeem from within the store in the game itself, it should then automatically switch out to your web browser, you should also automatically be logged in to your account, and at the redeem codes screen. Just paste your CD-Key (the one with the four -s in it) and redeem the code to activate the DLC. Then quit & restart your game.

Really roundabout way, wish it just handled the transaction entirely from the stream purchase, or at least in the game itself.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Tom Penny said:
1) I give them stuff and then a heart goes on the screen with +1 +2 etc..Is that helping me "convince" them?

Yes, but each character has an affinity for certain gifts. You can get more bang for the buck (i.e., a bigger increase in their affection level) if you give them stuff they are interested in.

Morrigan likes
jewelry
Alistair likes
things with runes on them or little statutes
Shale likes
jewels
Wynne likes
books or scrolls
Oghren likes
booze
Dog likes
bones
Loghain likes
maps
Sten likes
(oddly) paintings - haven't figured that one out
Zevran likes
clothing and bars of silver/gold
Leliana likes
anything with a Chantry symbol

Some characters also have gifts that you can only give to them - you'll know what they are since no other character will accept them from you (e.g.,
Morrigan's mirror, Zevran's boot and gloves, Alistair's locket
).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Minsc said:
I was able to register mine by clicking redeem from within the store in the game itself, it should then automatically switch out to your web browser, you should also automatically be logged in to your account, and at the redeem codes screen. Just paste your CD-Key (the one with the four -s in it) and redeem the code to activate the DLC. Then quit & restart your game.

Really roundabout way, wish it just handled the transaction entirely from the stream purchase, or rather quick to figure out but not completely evident. Think they just want to suck people into that website pretty much and get them accustomed to using the marketplace on there. I guess we're just spoiled on Steam.

Ploid 3.0

54-46! said:
Damn.. it's impossible to create a bad ass looking human/male character, I spent maybe 20 minutes making my dude and then played through the origin story.. and then "God damn it.. he looks like a pancy!" DELETE, START OVER. :lol

I think I made a cool dude and didn't try too hard. Had to make a black guy so I'm not sure how hard it is making a white guy. He looks pissed a lot, but I made one mistake. I picked the worst voice for him, for some reason during character create it seemed like a serious voice and stuff, but he has an annoying line when I select him during a fight.

2emd1sm.jpg

Also I think the console version looks great. There's some awesome stuff in this game, I wish it had a free look mode.

Amir0x

Banned
I wasn't captured initially by this game but I don't know why I spent pretty much all of my Thursday day off playing it, which is more than I can say for most RPGs these days (except Demon's Souls).

Pleasantly surprised - was expecting a bust after the atrocious videos for the game.

Since I canceled my Modern Warfare 2 pre-order, this has really filled in the gap until Left 4 Dead 2 wonderfully.

Zzoram

luxarific said:
Yes, but each character has an affinity for certain gifts. You can get more bang for the buck (i.e., a bigger increase in their affection level) if you give them stuff they are interested in.

Morrigan likes
jewelry
Alistair likes
things with runes on them or little statutes
Shale likes
jewels
Wynne likes
books or scrolls
Oghren likes
booze
Dog likes
bones
Loghain likes maps
Sten likes
(oddly) paintings - haven't figured that one out
Zevran likes
clothing and bars of silver/gold
Leliana likes
anything with a Chantry symbol

Some characters also have gifts that you can only give to them - you'll know what they are since no other character will accept them from you (e.g.,
Morrigan's mirror, Zevran's boot and gloves, Alistair's locket
).

Ugh why do so many people have to spoil
Loghain?
being a party member? It's driving me nuts because I keep seeing it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Amir0x said:
Pleasantly surprised - was expecting a bust after the atrocious videos for the game.
This and games like Pac-Man CE just go to show how open minded people on GAF can be. Both were relentlessly and almost universally mocked prior to release and went on to become beloved titles.

Zeliard

AstroLad said:
This and games like Pac-Man CE just go to show how open minded people on GAF can be. Both were relentlessly and almost universally mocked prior to release and went on to become beloved titles.

Batman: Arkham Asylum as well. I still remember all those photoshops.

Zzoram said:
Ugh why do so many people have to spoil
Loghain?
being a party member? It's driving me nuts because I keep seeing it.

Yeah, I had that spoiled for me before I even started the game, and I got it through Steam on release day. Heh.

Pretty big ass spoiler, too.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Zeliard said:
Batman: Arkham Asylum as well. I still remember all those photoshops.

Yeah, I had that spoiled for me before I even started the game, and I got it through Steam on release day. Heh.

Pretty big ass spoiler, too.

It's been spoiled so many times in this thread, I thought it was public knowledge by now.

JudgeN

I caved in, couldn't wait for sale so I used my best buy reward zone certificates. Game looks and sounds really good, hope it doesn't disappoint. Another hour at work + install time before the happiness can begin.

How long does the game normally take to install on PC? Got a Q6600 at 3.6gig.

I tried out the dwarven noble storyline and finally got my character topside. The game is pure Bioware goodness so far but you can tell they didn't exactly send out their A-team to program. Thankfully Bioware has some of the best game designers in the world which makes up for the lousy graphics.

360 version, BTW.

I've pumped all my ability points into strength so far. Is that wise?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I tried out the dwarven noble storyline and finally got my character topside. The game is pure Bioware goodness so far but you can tell they didn't exactly send out their A-team to program. Thankfully Bioware has some of the best game designers in the world which makes up for the lousy graphics.

360 version, BTW.

I've pumped all my ability points into strength so far. Is that wise?

If you're a warrior planning on 2-handing, yes.

If you're a rogue, unless you want to dual wield twin swords (which has a relatively high STR req.), I'd stop and switch to dex/cunning soonish.

If you wanna tank, suggest putting some points into con and willpower, though Alistair will already have points put into a tanking build.

Metroidvania said:
If you're a warrior planning on 2-handing, yes.

If you're a rogue, unless you want to dual wield twin swords (which has a relatively high STR req.), I'd stop and switch to dex/cunning soonish.

If you wanna tank, suggest putting some points into con and willpower, though Alistair will already have points put into a tanking build.

Right now my dwarf is focusing on using his sheild alot. Not real advanced planning so far here.lol

Fredescu

I found it rewarding to take an organic approach to getting to know my party members. Talk to them and you get to know them and eventually find out about the sort of things they like. If you powergame it I think you would have less appreciation for them as characters. Sten still eludes me though, I don't "get" him yet.

With regards to
Loghain
joining your party, I was spoiled on it very early on, but having finished the game I didn't even get the option. Somewhere along the line my choices negated him (and
beheaded
him) completely.

Fredescu said:
I found it rewarding to take an organic approach to getting to know my party members. Talk to them and you get to know them and eventually find out about the sort of things they like. If you powergame it I think you would have less appreciation for them as characters. Sten still eludes me though, I don't "get" him yet.

With regards to
Loghain
joining your party, I was spoiled on it very early on, but having finished the game I didn't even get the option. Somewhere along the line my choices negated him (and
beheaded
him) completely.

Yeah that is my approach too.

Sten is pretty simple and straight forward(and i mean that literally).

Arde5643

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Right now my dwarf is focusing on using his sheild alot. Not real advanced planning so far here.lol
If you want a tank that can absorb as much damage as possible, sword n shield is your best bet.

You'll need to put quite a lot of points into dex as well to get the better shield talents.

Also put some points into con and a bit of points into willpower - I always activate threaten and shield defense. And of course, there's taunt, shield bash, shield pummel, shield wall.

Alex

Sometimes it feels good to just wade in with the analog stick and mash out crazy abilities with the face buttons, I mean if you didn't have any real issue playing Kotor on Xbox, then 360 Dragon Age will bring back similar memories.

Hm, I disagree.

KOTOR was an Xbox game ported to the PC. Much like Mass Effect. You got prettier visuals, better controls, lots of little improvements, but it was still the same design decisions where it counted

DA:O is a PC game ported to consoles. It has plenty of the new-age Bioware finesse on it, but on PC it plays like a PC RPG... on consoles, not so much. It feels like what KOTOR was to prior releases, kind of a stripped down imitation in a lot of places.

The difficulty is a pretty MASSIVE difference, Bioware's brainless, mash happy combat is part of the reason why their console releases has been so forgettable for me. It's not rewarding to use what is supposed to be a tactical combat system and RPG gameplay for generic action gameplay

And that's what the difference is really, I see tons of fights on the console version just mashed through, fights were I may as well have been playing a completely different game on the PC.

Even with a gaming PC, I've bought plenty of multi-plats on consoles, but this one, no, I wouldn't even bother personally, I'd wait for my upgrade if that's what my plan was. The difference in visuals, control and especially challenge level is pretty canyon like in too many spots.

It's still not something that's up to snuff with BG2, but it's as close as I've enjoyed since. I was going to get it for PS3 and I'm really, REALLY glad I didn't, to the point where it's set me off on a pretty huge return to PC gaming lately which I am thankful for.

Zeliard

Alex said:
Hm, I disagree.

KOTOR was an Xbox game ported to the PC. Much like Mass Effect. You got prettier visuals, better controls, lots of little improvements, but it was still the same design decisions where it counted

DA:O is a PC game ported to consoles. It has plenty of the new-age Bioware finesse on it, but on PC it plays like a PC RPG... on consoles, not so much. It feels like what KOTOR was to prior releases, kind of a stripped down imitation in a lot of places.

The difficulty is a pretty MASSIVE difference, Bioware's brainless, mash happy combat is part of the reason why their console releases has been so forgettable for me. It's not rewarding to use what is supposed to be a tactical combat system and RPG gameplay for generic action gameplay

And that's what the difference is really, I see tons of fights on the console version just mashed through, fights were I may as well have been playing a completely different game on the PC.

To be fair, Bioware themselves said that the console versions would feel much more like an action game compared to the PC's considerably more tactical edge.

RPGCrazied

oops about Wynne

Just killed her off <.< I was doing things differently this play through.. said something she didnt like, lol.

rass

Fredescu said:

With regards to
Loghain
beheaded
him) completely.
Goddam.
Spoiler is an actual spoiler.
That's the second time my curiosity has spoiled something in one of your posts fredescu haha, I need to learn self control.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I would do things differently if I didn't need to worry about pissing Wynne off, mainly because she is my own proper healer.

Fredescu

iam.rass said:
Goddam.
Spoiler is an actual spoiler.
That's the second time my curiosity has spoiled something in one of your posts fredescu haha, I need to learn self control.
:lol I was burnt a couple of times by highlighting spoilers in this thread myself. Even after finishing the game there are a bunch of spoilers for other paths, but I don't mind peeking behind the curtain for my second playthrough. Which is already four hours in. Goddamn, I haven't had a game sink it's hooks so deeply in a long time.

nightez

Banned
I really like fantasy but I've never played an RPG before (does Zelda count?). I'm still on the fence on whether to buy this or not. I once tried the Knights of the old Republic PC demo and I couldn't stand the crappy controls. You had no direct control of the characters actions or movements. Everything was so stiff and mechanical. That left a bad taste in my mouth with Bioware in general.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 6 hours in to my second playthrough and I just left Lothering. I have to say that dual wielding warriors seem way, way overpowered. I am playing on hard, but I am having a far easier time than I did on normal. I'm sure part of that has to do with me knowing how to play the game, but my main character (the dual wielding warrior) with the momentum ability on is just tearing through enemies. Last I checked he has over 70% total contribution to party damage.

Zeliard

Zefah said:
I'm about 6 hours in to my second playthrough and I just left Lothering. I have to say that dual wielding warriors seem way, way overpowered. I am playing on hard, but I am having a far easier time than I did on normal. I'm sure part of that has to do with me knowing how to play the game, but my main character (the dual wielding warrior) with the momentum ability on is just tearing through enemies. Last I checked he has over 70% total contribution to party damage.

Clearly, the answer is simple:

Nightmare that bitch up!

Fredescu

I'm definitely going to Nightmare once I have the party I want. I tried to start with it, but I got sick of dying to nothing guards at the start of the city elf origin and having no real abilities to play with.

BeeDog

Fucking journal bug, just made one dwarf king now, but the quest log that mentions the other dwarf's quest line (the absolute beginning when you need to talk to one of his emissaries) is still in my journal. FUCKING HATE THESE BUGS, always some of them in every fucking cRPG.

Pretty sure my next playthrough on nightmare will be 2 archers/2 mages or 1 archer/3 mages. Master Archer+Rapid Fire (after the dexterity fix) would be considered insane, however that label belongs to what Mana Clash does to anything using magic (I one-shot a yellow difficultly mage with it at level 12, hitting for 358 damage).

Melee seems clumsy and inelegant in comparison. I'm hoping we'll see a sort of Ascension style hardening mod along with a fixed itemization of chests and yellow-and-above con mobs with loot that is actually worth picking up.

ravien56

Can someone here explain something for me about this game...it looks interesting and I did read the OP but that didn't really help. I was just wondering....so is this game like Mass Effect? I never played Baldurs gate nor do I know what kind of game it is. Also, how loot heavy is the game?

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
I'm sure this has been said before but shit I need to vent. The inventory in this game sucks fucking ass. It's bad enough I have to scroll through everyone else's crap to equip or compare my character, but I can't fucking store anything because the inventory cap is fucking absurd. I've probably spent a third of my time scrolling through my inventory to figure out what I need to destroy and what I should keep because I just came upon a brand new chest with all new items and don't have enough room to carry them, after spending 10 minutes in the other room doing the same freaking thing in order to pick up newer items. It's to the point were I'm like seriously about to punt this game not because it's bad but because I can't enjoy it due to the stupid inventory system. I'm sure other people have this same concern, no?

Fragamemnon said:
Pretty sure my next playthrough on nightmare will be 2 archers/2 mages or 1 archer/3 mages. Master Archer+Rapid Fire (after the dexterity fix) would be considered insane, however that label belongs to what Mana Clash does to anything using magic (I one-shot a yellow difficultly mage with it at level 12, hitting for 358 damage).

Melee seems clumsy and inelegant in comparison. I'm hoping we'll see a sort of Ascension style hardening mod along with a fixed itemization of chests and yellow-and-above con mobs with loot that is actually worth picking up.
I'm going evil on Nightmare next time... so me (Dwarf tank, probably), Morrigan, Shale and Sten. I think. There should be enough loot to go around, and not abusing mages could be either fun or frustrating.

Could get rough here and there though. May switch out Sten for Zeveren as I used Sten quite a bit already. And his disdain for side-quests is a real pain, too bad since I like his character otherwise. Plus I'd get to use every piece of equipment I find... I'll probably go with Zeveren.

That said I sort of wish I'd saved playing as a mage for my evil playthrough... I missed out on a ton of great "asshole moments".

slayn

needs to show more effort.
wow, that was fucked up. Pretty weird bug in the end game:

I killed Loghain. But when I was in Denerim it gave me the option of having Loghain be the one to defend the gate. I did a double take and decided not to pick it for fear of breaking the game. Then, when your companions all speak to you, there was a quick scene where the camera pointed at nothing, and an invisible Loghain was speaking to me

wtf :lol

Just beat the game but made sure to have several save files before Landsmeet. Can i replay those differently and have it still count toward the achievement or are seperate playthroughs required?

Quick one gaf, my brother just purchased the collectors edition and he's not sure how to get the "The Stone Prisoner DLC", is there a code in the box, stone prisoner is the $15 DLC, correct? Thanks.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
dreamer3kx said:
Quick one gaf, my brother just purchased the collectors edition and he's not sure how to get the "The Stone Prisoner DLC", is there a code in the box, stone prisoner is the $15 DLC, correct? Thanks.
It's in the box, you redeem it inside the game. And yes, Stone Prisoner costs $15 if you don't have the code.

Number 2 said:
He didnt purchase it used did he? i only ask this because you said he just now purchased a collectors edition.

Brand new from GS.

Edit: ok I think I know what happened, gamestop pulled the CE disks only from the back and put it into the CE casing, I think maybe they forgot to put the code inside or it wasn't there to begin with, I told him to go back and bitch, fucking hate that store.

Mashing

Ugh... I had to drop the difficulty down to easy because, for some reason my non controlled characters will stand there and do nothing even though they have both a tactic and behavior setup to atelast do SOMETHING. I notice this especially after they recover from being stunned or knocked down. I don't mind pausing, but I don't want to pause every few seconds.

Or maybe, I just don't have my tactics setup right.

Wiggum2007

Damn, I can't wear plate armor as a dwarf. Those giant shoulder pads are ridiculous enough on a human, and even worse on a dwarf :lol

Gamer @ Heart said:
Just beat the game but made sure to have several save files before Landsmeet. Can i replay those differently and have it still count toward the achievement or are seperate playthroughs required?

Anyone?

ravien56

ravien56 said:
Can someone here explain something for me about this game...it looks interesting and I did read the OP but that didn't really help. I was just wondering....so is this game like Mass Effect? I never played Baldurs gate nor do I know what kind of game it is. Also, how loot heavy is the game?
Anyone?

Top Bottom