• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

bengraven said:
Either way, once I'm done with the Dalish area (I did Orzammar first and keep coming back, hoping I can progress), I have nothing left to move the main story until I beat Orz.

I'm far from the only person who has this issue. many people here and on other forums have had to stall their games and/or restart because of this. Bioware needs to fix this.

After you talk to the beggar girl, the door to the house to the right of her (down the way on the dead end part of dust town), will open up. Did you go there yet?

sweetvar26 said:
Morrigan is smoking! I am always ready to deal with her, too bad that I will have to let her go to start romance with Leliana.

Question, did anybody hit a 100 with Morrigan, in terms of love? Just wanted to know what happens.

I have both Morrigan and Leliana at 100. Morrigan just becomes more "giggly" when she's in love with you. I love the banter between the two of them, especially when she was jealous of Leliana.

I have to break it off with Leliana to keep romance Morrigan but then after that I went back and romance Leliana and Morrigan didn't seems to care ...

Morrigan romance seems to trigger with certain gifts that have to do with her story line.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
EA at their store as DA for $35 which you can use a $5 coupon on to bring down to $30. I ran a system check and while my laptop passes the minimum requirements, it does not pass the recommended. They recommend an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz Processor or equivalent while I have a Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz. Also, my video card only has 256 MB of RAM while they suggest 512MB.

I don't play many PC games, but with my current financial status, half off is a good deal to grab. DA will be $35 on Black Friday for 360, but there is no guarantee I will get it. Also of note is that I will sometimes get games that are difficult to get achievements for on other systems so I don't own all third party games on my 360 (I like points). I don't play a ton of PC games, but from my understanding the 360 and PC versions feel substantially different because of the camera change and the 360 have the wheel like Mass Effect.

What do you think I should do?

Drek

I'm currently playing it on a laptop with the following specs:

Athlon X2 2.10Ghz
4GB DDR2 667
5400RPM HDD
Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics

Running it at 1366x768, no AA, medium settings. Frame rate has a few hick-ups, but mostly solid and very playable.

I'm going to put some of the mods in this evening that remove a lot of the magic auras from sustained talents and buff spells. I personally find them distracting in cut scenes, unnoticeable in-game, and it also supposedly improves performance.

Not if there was just a mod to shut off weapon special effects outside of battle. Its cool to have a flaming axe but I'd prefer not to have a flaming axe on my guy's back 24/7. Just flare up when drawn.

JayDubya

Banned
antiquegamer said:
I have both Morrigan and Leliana at 100. Morrigan just becomes more "giggly" when she's in love with you. I love the banter between the two of them, especially when she was jealous of Leliana.

I have to break it off with Leliana to keep romance Morrigan but then after that I went back and romance Leliana and Morrigan didn't seems to care ...

Morrigan romance seems to trigger with certain gifts that have to do with her story line.

Neither Morrigan nor Leiliana will tolerate you sleeping with the other.

I did find a workaround for this (a glitch?), however, if this is something you want to try.

When Morrigan gives you an ultimatum, tell her you want to stay with her, and she urges you to go tell Lei the bad news. When you talk to Leiliana next, she will gives you an ultimatum, you have no choice but to pick somebody - pick Leiliana.

I maxed out Morrigan pretty early since gifts for her are so damn plentiful. Breaking up with her like this cost you 35 favor though.

Now, give her the Golden Mirror from Orzammar, saying it's "a fine gift for such a beautiful woman" or something close to that. Ouila, Morrigan relationship reactivated, Leiliana no longer going to pester you about Morrigan, Morrigan no longer going to pester you about Lei. The mirror is worth over 20 favor in tis instance, and the Grimoire was worth 14, so that brings you basically back to where you started. :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Drek said:
I'm going to put some of the mods in this evening that remove a lot of the magic auras from sustained talents and buff spells. I personally find them distracting in cut scenes, unnoticeable in-game, and it also supposedly improves performance.

Are these on the social.bioware site? I'm interested.

syllogism

I've all the party banter (so dialogue that's purely between your npcs) extracted and looks like there's 3 hours of it overall. 2535 clips with each clip being ~1-10 seconds long.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can you only get a dog later in the game? On a particular quest?

Drek

RbBrdMan said:
Are these on the social.bioware site? I'm interested.
I'm primarily hitting up www.dragonagenexus.com for user created content. Got led there while getting the respec mod and saw some other things I wanted to add.

Going to remap Sten's face too, for something closer to the CG commercial.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
syllogism said:
I've all the party banter (so dialogue that's purely between your npcs) extracted and looks like there's 3 hours of it overall. 2535 clips with each clip being ~1-10 seconds long.
How did you extract it? I've been running back and forth across the main Orzammar bridge to listen to it but it's a huge hassle.

JayDubya said:
Neither Morrigan nor Leiliana will tolerate you sleeping with the other.

Not true, as my first character, human noble i was austin powers, i nailed morrigan, leili (she was the main love interest) and ended up marrying the queen. I'm wondering if i bugged the game or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
fizzelopeguss said:
Not true, as my first character, human noble i was austin powers, i nailed morrigan, leili (she was the main love interest) and ended up marrying the queen. I'm wondering if i bugged the game or something.

No, as long as you do not speak to the characters after you "cheat" on them, nothing happens in game.

In fact, Leliana gives you a chance to lie to her once about each person you cheat on her with. The scripting is very janky. "I heard you were sleeping with Alistair!" and then the next time you talk to her, "I heard you were sleeping with Zevran!". It also effects the epilogue/ending in a minor way - the romance flag pretty much sets up who the game will cut to when the King/Queen says "lover" in the you die ending or if you live, some characters will decide to stay or leave Denerim based on the relationship flag.

Now that I've actually typed that all out, relationships in this game are really jank. It's almost as bad as being a manwhore in Persona 4. :p

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
re: HD texture pack, the final version is available as one condensed file, here. Just copy the erf file to packages/core/override.

The game looks so much better with this mod.

kai3345

Banned
So EA.com says my Gamertag is already linked with another account and the only EA games I've played with my gamertag is BF:BC and BF: 1943 and if I registered on those games I would have used one of the two EA accounts I already have (idk why I have 2) but neither of those accounts say they're linked with my gamertag.

Is there any way I can check from my Xbox Live account or somewhere which email address I used to to link my gamertag and EA account?

JayDubya

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:

Indeed, though I'm pretty sure I outlined a bug whereupon you could accomplish some of that - thanks golden mirror!

In that same playthrough, however, I kept some save files and screwed around with the ending scenarios just before the Landsmeet to see how the big decisions play out differently.

Leiliana
is not cool with you marrying the queen and will dump you if you talk to her after agreeing to become Fereldan's prince consort.

Whereas Morrigan
is cool with it, probably because you're at the endgame, she's already refusing to sleep with you because she loves you - which was never part of the plan - and she's steeling herself to do what she came to do in the firstplace. If you end up with the Queen, so much the better, you'll presumably be happy, you can presumably move on from Morrigan, and you presumably won't be following after her if you're dealing with Denerim politics and / or leading the army. It works pretty well for her.

As for Zevran, I have no clue.

And of course, most of those plot points only come into play if you're playing a male Human Noble. :lol I love the story design here.

Also, I'd like to see how this all plays out with Alistair.

bengraven

antiquegamer said:
After you talk to the beggar girl, the door to the house to the right of her (down the way on the dead end part of dust town), will open up. Did you go there yet?

I've been in house ("Slum House") three or four times. Just an empty room with a door in the back leading to another empty room that is attached to a small "bath" room.

bengraven

Bioware has acknowledged that the Orzammar Jarvia bug is real and they are fixing it in my Bioware Forum thread!

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/47/index/292889/1#293857

Also, for you guys who never got Dog, you're not out in the cold. The new Return to Ostagar add on will feature a second chance:

A return to the battlefields of Ostagar, now thick with darkspawn encamped amidst the snow
An opportunity to reclaim the lost arms and armor of a king
A second chance to add Dog to your party

http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Zeliard

syllogism said:

Is it possible for a mod to add more banter triggers? Doesn't seem like these random convos happen nearly enough for the amount of banter there technically is, in my experience.

Fredescu

Doytch said:
Which is why I want Bioware to try making an expansion-sized module/product for DA:O. You can't cram a 60 hour game full of Mask-quality writing and moments, so try scaling it down and making every moment count, which is exactly what Obsidian did so well after a lukewarm OC in NWN2.
Yep, which is why comparisons to MoTB (fade/shadow world aside) are a bit unfair. NWN2 OC is the better comparison, and DA feels like the game that it tried to be. My expectations going in were an improved NWN2 OC, and I got that in spades. I don't think they're capable of making an MoTB quality expansion mind you, but we'll make those comparisons when a substantial DA expansion is released.

DieH@rd

Banned
Its retarded that merchants dont replenish their suplies. I need few Distilation Agent bottles, and there are none to be found. :(

Fredescu

Certain vendors have unlimited supplies of certain things. I thought the merchant in the party camp had unlimited distillation agents? I might be misremembering.

JayDubya

Banned
If you need those agents for potions, just go to Bodahn in your camp.

If you need flasks... I think Bodahn as well.

For elfroot, go to the Dalish Camp in Brecilian.

For lyrium dust, go to the Quartermaster in the tower.

Exhumed

Oh man loving this game.

Made a mage and holy crap. Loving paralyze explosion and the freeze/rockfist combo. With the guy in Denerim that challenged you to a duel I ended up Shattering him. Cone of Cold + Rock fist and done the cone of cold had only done like 10% of his life at best. Made me laugh when his comrades mentioned thats how he would have wanted to go :lol.

Morrigan/Alistair and Alistair/Dog banter is awesome.

Fredescu said:
Yep, which is why comparisons to MoTB (fade/shadow world aside) are a bit unfair. NWN2 OC is the better comparison, and DA feels like the game that it tried to be. My expectations going in were an improved NWN2 OC, and I got that in spades. I don't think they're capable of making an MoTB quality expansion mind you, but we'll make those comparisons when a substantial DA expansion is released.

obsidian need to stop working on that crappy looking spy game and make Icewind dale 3 with this engine.

Fredescu

fizzelopeguss said:
obsidian need to stop working on that crappy looking spy game and make Icewind dale 3 with this engine.
That would be too awesome to actually happen. They're working on three things already aren't they? AP, F:NV, and some other internal thing.

Woo-Fu

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:

ID3 would be absolutely brutal to some of the people who like training wheels on their games nowadays.

Can't make ID3 without the AD&D license, though, who has it now?

DietRob

bengraven said:
Bioware has acknowledged that the Orzammar Jarvia bug is real and they are fixing it in my Bioware Forum thread!

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/47/index/292889/1#293857

2vbonqg.jpg

Hopefully soon. I'll start some other towns now that I know it's going to be fixed. I'm having a problem viewing your thread there. Seems like site is down.

JayDubya

Banned
K.Jack said:
I'm screwed on that one. :lol

Uh-oh... :lol

In that case, I hope you didn't kill Wynne, I hope you're not playing on Nightmare, etc, etc.

If you DID kill Wynne, spec Morrigan as Spirit Healer and take a lot from the Creation tree.
Also, good luck with Flemeth, since Morrigan's a no show for that.
Maker be with you and all that. :lol

One basic word of caution to anyone playing the game should be that if you decide you want to help some ravenous werewolves slaughter the Dalish, you need to buy everything you need from the Dalish first.

Werewolves don't tend to run shops. A werewolf merchant could be amusing, though. :D

I must have gone through 300-400 elfroot in my first playthrough, most of which bought from the elves. Rather A LOT of it was used fighting
"Andraste."

Hell, I bought several stacks of extra elfroot just to turn it in for my elf army at the end of the game.

bengraven

RbBrdMan said:
2vbonqg.jpg

Hopefully soon. I'll start some other towns now that I know it's going to be fixed. I'm having a problem viewing your thread there. Seems like site is down.

Bioware's social site is a complete joke.

1) you have to go through two menus to "search"
2) you can't directly link a thread...even if you pull up a Google search for Dragon Age threads, if you click them you go straight to the boards list.
3) I've been connected for the last 3 weeks to their social network and it still has not updated my character's statistics. My human noble who is 50% done with the game only has "16 kills and zero achievements".

DietRob

bengraven said:
Bioware's social site is a complete joke.

1) you have to go through two menus to "search"
2) you can't directly link a thread...even if you pull up a Google search for Dragon Age threads, if you click them you go straight to the boards list.
3) I've been connected for the last 3 weeks to their social network and it still has not updated my character's statistics. My human noble who is 50% done with the game only has "16 kills and zero achievements".

Yea I've noticed it's lack of basic functionality. I've visited nearly everyday to check up on their 'projects' list. It is not sortable by what is actually finished so I spend about 15 minutes clicking through the pages to see what mods are out (nothing noteworthy yet). On that note is there a different site that hosts mods for DA that I should be checking? I've heard about this mod that makes your char loose the glow of weapons but couldn't find it on the social site.

On the plus side my stats are up to date. So who knows with that site.

Chris R

Just started the game, playing a female city elf rogue so far. I saw that I can eventually become a bard when I level up enough, right? I'm guessing I should download the manual and print it off at some point.

So far this seems like they took NWN2 and just pushed a ton of the shit under the hood away from the player, but I'm not complaining. I also like how smooth it is at max everything on my system, even when popping in and out of isometric mode.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
rhfb said:
Just started the game, playing a female city elf rogue so far. I saw that I can eventually become a bard when I level up enough, right? I'm guessing I should download the manual and print it off at some point.

So far this seems like they took NWN2 and just pushed a ton of the shit under the hood away from the player, but I'm not complaining. I also like how smooth it is at max everything on my system, even when popping in and out of isometric mode.
IIRC, you get a specialization point at level 7 and level 14. You still need to unlock the specialization before you can actually specialize in it though. You can unlock some by buying manuals from the vendors, quest related options, and by gaining the approval of a party member and having him/her teach you the specialization. Leliana can unlock the Bard specialization for you if you talk to her and get her to like you (and if your main character is a rogue).

One more thing to keep in mind, you only have to unlock a specialization once for it to be available to all your playthroughs/characters. For example, you can buy a tome to unlock a specialty, save, then reload a save before you bought the tome to get your money back and the specialty unlocked.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
buffi said:
Is the dog any good? (damage and so on)
Thinking about replacing Morrigan with him since I'm a mage myself.
Specialize Morrigan in support and have your mage focus on offensive spells/physical combat. Watching my Arcane mage jump in slow motion on top of
Flemeth and the Broodmother
(Boss spoilers) to deliver a fatality with her axe and dagger was fucking awesome.

Top Bottom