• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah dex-tanking on DW warriors is awesome. Maybe too awesome. The only thing I loathed about my otherwise massively overpowered zerker/champion dual wielding dwarf was how the zerk aura turned off once combat finished and had a long-ass cooldown.

Anyways I have a question concerning mage builds: I'm running an arcane warrior and I was thinking on using the second spec slot for shapeshifting to stack bear bonuses on top of the arcane warrior bonuses. Can they be used and do they stack? I'm asking because Im going through the fade atm and the fade shapeshitfs null all skills but those of the specific shape.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
Yeah dex-tanking on DW warriors is awesome. Maybe too awesome. The only thing I loathed about my otherwise massively overpowered zerker/champion dual wielding dwarf was how the zerk aura turned off once combat finished and had a long-ass cooldown.

Anyways I have a question concerning mage builds: I'm running an arcane warrior and I was thinking on using the second spec slot for shapeshifting to stack bear bonuses on top of the arcane warrior bonuses. Can they be used and do they stack? I'm asking because Im going through the fade atm and the fade shapeshitfs null all skills but those of the specific shape.

Sadly,you lose all buffs when shifting=/ I have yet to find a single good use for shapeshifting. quite sad considering how much I loved goofing off with shapeshifting druids in BG2.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Shinjitsu said:
Sadly,you lose all buffs when shifting=/ I have yet to find a single good use for shapeshifting. quite sad considering how much I loved goofing off with shapeshifting druids in BG2.

Thanks and damn =/

How do companions react to blood magic then?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
They don't care. I made Wynne a blood mage.

Talk about irony.

I can understand the gameplay reasons, but sheesh Wynne
will attack the party at the tower if she learns Morrigan is an apostate, not even a blood mage!

Varna

Varna said:
Anyone experiencing a lot of freezing and crashing? It's pretty random but it is happening quiet often. My system meets all the recommended specs and my temps are very safe. PC version.

In case anyone else is having this issue I fixed it by disabling the auto-screenshot option.

linzin

Neo Member
Bitmap Frogs said:
Talk about irony.

I can understand the gameplay reasons, but sheesh Wynne
will attack the party at the tower if she learns Morrigan is an apostate, not even a blood mage!

That's one of the ways the game's premise does seem kind of flawed. Like
why does Wynne stick around the whole game? I mean, you're traveling with an apostate who isn't afraid to speak her mind for several months, and Wynne never finds out? Or does Wynne just grow used to her? And Wynne and Leliana will both attack you for defiling the Urn, but have no problem with you pickpocketing and stealing your way all through Denerim and dumping bodybags down the well... The fact that there's no morality gauge like in Fable/ME/Fallout, etc, is nice in that you can access most things in one playthrough, but I can't help but think it'd just make more SENSE to have it and have your NPCs react to it accordingly.

Question. I was looking at the achievements and it says there is room for 3 love plots. Morrigan is one, who are the other 2? I have a feeling its Leilana and the gay assassin but I can't get Leilana to vibe with me even though I'm like 2 bars away from a full affection.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
DaPHanTomMeNace said:
Question. I was looking at the achievements and it says there is room for 3 love plots. Morrigan is one, who are the other 2? I have a feeling its Leilana and the gay assassin but I can't get Leilana to vibe with me even though I'm like 2 bars away from a full affection.

It's tricky. At a certain affection level you'll get some flirteous talk from them. If you don't seize the opportunity the dialogue won't show up again.

Leliana's shows up at around 70% I believe.

Also you need to end your current affair before they will offer themselves, but this might not be true for zevran. By the way, the gay assassin is not gay.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
Thanks and damn =/

How do companions react to blood magic then?

It has no impact on dialog or plot if that's what you mean.

They don't like dieing when you use the bloodheal though , I'm sure:lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
It's tricky. At a certain affection level you'll get some flirteous talk from them. If you don't seize the opportunity the dialogue won't show up again.

Also you need to end your current affair before they will offer themselves, but this might not be true for zevran. By the way, the gay assassin is not gay.

He's bisexual.

MMaRsu

Started playing this game on 360 last night.. damn it's pretty fucking awesome. I don't really like the camera but hey.. the combat is decent.. I like the story though! And Morrigan is awesome :p.

I'm a Dalish Warrior btw.. can you customize your characters appearance later in the game?

I am about 20 hours in the game, excluding the time I reloaded the game to get better sequence in the conversations. Really liking the game so far but I absolutely hated the part where you are
supposed to find your team members in the dream.

MMaRsu

Fredescu said:
Not really, not beyond different armour and so forth.

Goddamnit that sucks. I thought I had left that tattoo off, but I started with it. Which sucks. Also my character does not really look badass, he's not very big you know :p. Maybe that's just a trait of the Dalish?

MMaRsu said:
Started playing this game on 360 last night.. damn it's pretty fucking awesome. I don't really like the camera but hey.. the combat is decent.. I like the story though! And Morrigan is awesome :p.

I'm a Dalish Warrior btw.. can you customize your characters appearance later in the game?

Morrigan is smoking! I am always ready to deal with her, too bad that I will have to let her go to start romance with Leliana.

Question, did anybody hit a 100 with Morrigan, in terms of love? Just wanted to know what happens.

Aedile

sweetvar26 said:
I absolutely hated the part where you are
supposed to find your team members in the dream.

This seems to be the majority (but not universal) opinion. For me, it contrasted very unfavorably with the dream sequences in MotB.

Fredescu

Aedile said:
This seems to be the majority (but not universal) opinion. For me, it contrasted very unfavorably with the dream sequences in MotB.
One that I still don't understand. I just completed it a second time, and enjoyed it just as much as the first. I can fully appreciate the annoyance with the graphical effects, but the gameplay with the different forms is fun, and the "loot" is interesting and useful.

As for MoTB, most RPGs compare unfavourably with it, but I think the two games were attempting different things. They are both spirit worlds, but MoTB took you behind the veil in the same world. The Fade is clearly another world altogether.

Aedile said:

There is a very similar scenario in the book "The Calling" which is a prequel to the game. One party member has to go around the fade convincing the others it is all a dream. Where it differs is in the book each persons dream has a vastly different landscape, from stormy mountains to a rundown shop in an orlais city to a noblemans castle. In the game all we got was a shitty generic landscape all the characters were in together. There was also no filler bullshit in fighting demons and navigating their way around, all they did in the book was find people, bring them out of their dream then fight the boss. Most of the fade in the game feels like it's there simply to draw the game length out which is a shame. So much wasted potential.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
bengraven said:
Orzammar is bugged.

I cannot proceed anywhere. I've talked to every single NPC and have entered that "slums house" after every loop through NPCs and I still can't get that fingerbone amulet to open the "suspicious door".

Same here. It's disappointing. I've spent close to 30 hours in game and now can't do anything.

DodgerSan said:
I thought you could have both on the go at once?

I am having an affair with Morrigan right now, and I almost hit 80% on Leliana, I tried couple of conversations but I still do not have an option as of yet. However she did ask me in the past whats going on with Me and Morrigan, I used my persuasive skills to say that we were discussing some important stuff in my tent while she thought we were having sex. Talk about drama:D

Conflict NZ said:
There is a very similar scenario in the book "The Calling" which is a prequel to the game. One party member has to go around the fade convincing the others it is all a dream. Where it differs is in the book each persons dream has a vastly different landscape, from stormy mountains to a rundown shop in an orlais city to a noblemans castle. In the game all we got was a shitty generic landscape all the characters were in together. There was also no filler bullshit in fighting demons and navigating their way around, all they did in the book was find people, bring them out of their dream then fight the boss. Most of the fade in the game feels like it's there simply to draw the game length out which is a shame. So much wasted potential.
I agree the fade was a somewhat long, tedious and buggy experience overall.
Emphasis on buggy, I didn't have one conversation with a party member in the fade that wasn't bugged, some kept starting over one started over even though the
Demon
had already gone and the air seemed to be talking

JudgeN

Is there a way to beef up Leliana archer damage output? I have maxed out the archer talent list but she still misses all the fucking time, has 60% acc and does 12% of the party damage with 41 dex at level 17. It seems like enemy archers are fucking deadly while mine suck ass.

Woo-Fu

Banned
JudgeN said:
Is there a way to beef up Leliana archer damage output? I have maxed out the archer talent list but she still misses all the fucking time, has 60% acc and does 12% of the party damage with 41 dex at level 17. It seems like enemy archers are fucking deadly my mine suck ass.

hey, she did 12% in my party too and I didn't even really try to focus on her archery skills. Interesting.

Kinan

JudgeN said:
Is there a way to beef up Leliana archer damage output? I have maxed out the archer talent list but she still misses all the fucking time, has 60% acc and does 12% of the party damage with 41 dex at level 17. It seems like enemy archers are fucking deadly my mine suck ass.

Got a dex fix installed?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Even with the dex fix she does crappy damage, at least in my party. I keep her around for Bard skills, lockpicking, trapdetection/disarm and arrows of andraste more than damage though.

JudgeN said:
Nope, was afraid I would make the already deadly enemy archer more powerful then my own. Guessing that's the only option isn't it?

Two files in an override directory, nothing to fear there. Worst case scenario you have to save your game, exit the game, remove the files, restart the game, load your save to get back to vanilla.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Woo-Fu said:
Even with the dex fix she does crappy damage, at least in my party. I keep her around for Bard skills, lockpicking, trapdetection/disarm and arrows of andraste more than damage though.

Two files in an override directory, nothing to fear there. Worst case scenario you have to save your game, exit the game, remove the files, restart the game, load your save to get back to vanilla.
Leliana is pretty much for me "alright Leliana we killed everyone now let's go back there and pick up all the shit and open all the chests we left behind." Wish I could just pay her to go do it like when you tell your dog to go clean up the mess.

Truant

Having finished this, I'm sad to conclude that it's not even close to the quality of MotB, which again wasn't even close to the quality of BGII or PS:T.

Still a good game, though. I'd love to see a more interesting story with cooler characters in this setting and engine, like what MotB is to NWN2.

Doytch

Truant said:
Having finished this, I'm sad to conclude that it's not even close to the quality of MotB, which again wasn't even close to the quality of BGII or PS:T.

Still a good game, though. I'd love to see a more interesting story with cooler characters in this setting and engine, like what MotB is to NWN2.
Which is why I want Bioware to try making an expansion-sized module/product for DA:O. You can't cram a 60 hour game full of Mask-quality writing and moments, so try scaling it down and making every moment count, which is exactly what Obsidian did so well after a lukewarm OC in NWN2.

Drek

JudgeN said:
Is there a way to beef up Leliana archer damage output? I have maxed out the archer talent list but she still misses all the fucking time, has 60% acc and does 12% of the party damage with 41 dex at level 17. It seems like enemy archers are fucking deadly while mine suck ass.
I respec'ed her (with a PC mod) and went all bard songs and dual wielding. She's only level 12, I really need to get her some additional talents to deal more damage with, but she's a pretty good #2 damage dealer behind my dual wielding berserker warrior with the blood talents from Warden's Keep. Before big battles I drop a regen on him, turn on momentum, berserk, and the first blood talent and just watch him maul. Drops revenants like bitches.

Anyone know if there are 3rd and 4th tier talents in the chain that opens up from the two Warden's Keep blood talents?

The mod community for this game is picking up FAST on PC too, already a lot of aesthetic overhauls being done. I'm hoping to see some really cool additional content and the like tacked over time as well.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Bitmap Frogs said:

I've been trying for 15 hours to get Morrigan... she's not showing me any love. Do you have to make her like you less for the flirtatious stuff to appear? I can call her a shrew or ask her why she's here, that's all. And im at or close to 70% like as well...

Leliana I think I got... she just asked me to travel the world with her when this is all over. Can't access a camp yet though to check.

IMO, I like Liliana (particularly in the Chasined robes armor), but Morrigan is so much more appealing.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
John Harker said:
I've been trying for 15 hours to get Morrigan... she's not showing me any love. Do you have to make her like you less for the flirtatious stuff to appear? I can call her a shrew or ask her why she's here, that's all. And im at or close to 70% like as well...

Leliana I think I got... she just asked me to travel the world with her when this is all over. Can't access a camp yet though to check.

IMO, I like Liliana (particularly in the Chasined robes armor), but Morrigan is so much more appealing.

I got Morrigan on my first playthrough, when I gave her I think it was the black grimoire from the circle she asked me what I wanted in exchange and I said a kiss. Things just got rollin' from there.

I had exhausted her conversations about her past in the wilds at that point, tho.

For Leliana it was my second playthrough and I had a female character, she implied she liked the company of women and that set things moving.

bengraven

RbBrdMan said:
Same here. It's disappointing. I've spent close to 30 hours in game and now can't do anything.

Yeah, I'm doing the Dalish quests, but then I'll have no choice but Orz. They had better have it bug-fixed by then.

bengraven

I'm in Dust Town and I cannot get into that mysterious door.
I've been told on numerous forums to talk to the crippled woman by the fountain - she gives me no information, I've talked to her three times: she simply explains "brands" and gives me a heads up on a place to drink. I've made a loop of every single area (including the Aeducan Thaig) in Orzammar three times and talked to everyone. I've been in the slums house after every single loop. I was playing both sides, I think there's a trap in the code if you don't fully support one of the two candidates: I have three arrows pointing me to people: the Proving master (already beat the proving, he just gives me ambient dialogue), Bhelen's right hand man (he just tells me he's not talking to me anymore) and Harrowmont's man in the tavern (he tells me to come back after talking to Bhelen). Ohgrein (sp?) tells me to "sod off duster".

I know I need to get in the mysterious door in Dust Town where I'll confront Jarvia's people. I know that some of them are supposed to appear in the Slums House and drop a fingerbone amulet, but they have never appeared and the amulet is not in my possession.

Some sort of console code to add this to my inventory would be nice or the code to bring forth the Slums House encounter.

Either way, once I'm done with the Dalish area (I did Orzammar first and keep coming back, hoping I can progress), I have nothing left to move the main story until I beat Orz.

I'm far from the only person who has this issue. many people here and on other forums have had to stall their games and/or restart because of this. Bioware needs to fix this.

DietRob

AstroLad said:
did both you guys go to dust town before getting quests that required going there?

I did. ffffffuuuu.jpg

When I did I ran off
the thug group that asked me to do some stuff for gold
probably the exact group i needed to talk to for the key.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hahah yeah so did i. i didn't get a chance to scour for certain yet but when i last played a couple days ago i had that stuck feeling that i'm sure will be confirmed.

linzin

Neo Member
RbBrdMan said:
I did. ffffffuuuu.jpg

When I did I ran off
the thug group that asked me to do some stuff for gold
probably the exact group i needed to talk to for the key.

I went to Dust Town before any quests. I did accept the sidequest though. I had no problems, and he didn't tell me anything about
Jarvia. I only got any info out of the crippled girl.

DietRob

linzin said:
I went to Dust Town before any quests. I did accept the sidequest though. I had no problems, and he didn't tell me anything about
Jarvia. I only got any info out of the crippled girl.

I didn't except the quest. I told him to buzz off. Haven't seen the band of thugs since. I'm really hoping I have a relatively close back-up save. I hate when this happens in games. Almost always it results in me shelving them for good.

Top Bottom