• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Fredescu

The dog gets a very limited number of abilities. As you start levelling up, all of your human characters, and the enemies you face, start to have more abilities available to them. The dog starts to look a bit limited in comparison. He's decent enough in the early game.

You might find yourself wanting to run with two mages anyway once you get Wynne, unless you spec yourself for healing. I know Frag was expounding the virtues of a three mage group, so it's really up to you how you build your party.

Fredescu said:
The dog gets a very limited number of abilities. As you start levelling up, all of your human characters, and the enemies you face, start to have more abilities available to them. The dog starts to look a bit limited in comparison. He's decent enough in the early game.

You might find yourself wanting to run with two mages anyway once you get Wynne, unless you spec yourself for healing. I know Frag was expounding the virtues of a three mage group, so it's really up to you how you build your party.

A three mage pose is what i plan to use next play-through(Healer, DPS, Arcane Tank, Rogue).

I just cannot decide which rogue to use.

SlickVic

Played about 5 hours of this over the past 2 nights. Having never put much time into a game like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, or even an MMO, have to say the combat feels quite different than what I'm used to. Not saying that as a bad thing but it's been a bit of a challenge for me on Normal (slowly getting the hang of it though).

Loving the huge story to this game and for me that's worth the purchase of the game on it's own. I think I probably should've started this over the summer as I'd be able to dedicate more time to it, but guess I'll just have to play it in shorter chunks after studying and such.

knitoe

SlickVic said:
Played about 5 hours of this over the past 2 nights. Having never put much time into a game like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, or even an MMO, have to say the combat feels quite different than what I'm used to. Not saying that as a bad thing but it's been a bit of a challenge for me on Normal (slowly getting the hang of it though).

Loving the huge story to this game and for me that's worth the purchase of the game on it's own. I think I probably should've started this over the summer as I'd be able to dedicate more time to it, but guess I'll just have to play it in shorter chunks after studying and such.
First, play it on X360 "Hard" and thought it was really hard. Had tons of death. After restarting a few times, due to not knowing your MC had to be mage to open Blood mage class, game became very easy knowing how game works, not wasting on wrong skills, getting Wrynn in party asap and setting correct AI routine. Now, game is even easy on nightmare.

SlickVic

Yeah I completely forgot you could zoom out the view (PC). I know it was mentioned in the tutorial but I didn't remember until I accidentally scrolled my mouse :lol. Really helpful in finding and targeting all the enemies.

For those of you in Canada, FutureShop is selling the 360/PS3 - $39.99 and PC - $44.99 starting this friday:D

There are few more good deals, here.

lordoftherink said:
Future Shop (starts Friday)
XBOX 360/PS3 Need For Speed: Shift- $39.99
XBOX 360/PS3 NHL 10- $39.99
XBOX 360/PS3 Dragon Age: Origins- $39.99
XBOX 360/PS3 Fight Night Round 4- $39.99
XBOX 360/PS3 Brutal Legend- $39.99
XBOX 360/PS3 Wolfenstein- $29.99
XBOX 360/PS3 Assassin's Creed- $14.99
XBOX 360/PS3 Prince of Persia- $14.99
XBOX 360/PS3 Wheelman- $9.99
XBOX 360/PS3 The Bourne Conspiracy- $9.99

XBOX 360 Left For Dead 2- $39.99
XBOX 360 Section 8- $39.99
XBOX 360 Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts- $19.99
XBOX 360 Ninja Blade- $19.99
XBOX 360 Mass Effect- $9.99
XBOX 360 Wireless Network Adapter- $59.99 (likely trying to clear out due to the new N adapters)
XBOX 360 Wireless Controller+Grand Theft Auto IV- $59.99
XBOX 360 Elite with Pure/Lego Batman/Lego Indiana Jones/Kung Fu Panda/Fable 2- $299.99

Wii EA Sports Active- $39.99
Wii EA Sports Active More Workouts- $29.99
Wii Need For Speed Nitro- $39.99

PC Left For Dead 2- $44.99
PC Dragon Age: Origins- $44.99

fizzelopeguss said:
Not true, as my first character, human noble i was austin powers, i nailed morrigan, leili (she was the main love interest) and ended up marrying the queen. I'm wondering if i bugged the game or something.

Nope, you didn't. There's a lot of misinformation about this: I slept with both of them - and Zevran, all on the same in-game night, no less - and all that happened was that I was forced to choose between Morrigan and Leilana. I could have continued my relationship with Zevran, apparently; neither of them seemed to have issue with that...

whatevermort said:
Nope, you didn't. There's a lot of misinformation about this: I slept with both of them - and Zevran, all on the same in-game night, no less - and all that happened was that I was forced to choose between Morrigan and Leilana. I could have continued my relationship with Zevran, apparently; neither of them seemed to have issue with that...

Get Zevran high enough and he does eventually ask for you to chose.

JayDubya said:
Neither Morrigan nor Leiliana will tolerate you sleeping with the other.

I did find a workaround for this (a glitch?), however, if this is something you want to try.

When Morrigan gives you an ultimatum, tell her you want to stay with her, and she urges you to go tell Lei the bad news. When you talk to Leiliana next, she will gives you an ultimatum, you have no choice but to pick somebody - pick Leiliana.

I maxed out Morrigan pretty early since gifts for her are so damn plentiful. Breaking up with her like this cost you 35 favor though.

Now, give her the Golden Mirror from Orzammar, saying it's "a fine gift for such a beautiful woman" or something close to that. Ouila, Morrigan relationship reactivated, Leiliana no longer going to pester you about Morrigan, Morrigan no longer going to pester you about Lei. The mirror is worth over 20 favor in tis instance, and the Grimoire was worth 14, so that brings you basically back to where you started. :D

I did the opposite and break it off with Leliana and then get her meter back up and she was ready to go at it with me again. However now Morrigan doesn't seems to care anymore that I have a thing with Leliana.

Doytch

Played a bit last night in my second play-through, did the Tower of Ishal and Lothering stuff. I'm rolling my dual-wield warrior, and I've just been ripping shit up lately. Playing on Nightmare, and Alistair's a bit of a pussy like the first time (with his low CON), but I only wiped once on the Troll at the tower because I went in all cocky-like. The start is definitely easier than playing with an archer pre-dex fix. :lol

I think I'm gonna bust out the respec potions and go with Oghren as a tank, Wynne as CC/heal and Morrigan as dps. Gonna get the Knock spell mod also since I don't want to drag a rogue along.

I'm at part with
Werewolves and Dalish
now and I'm getting tired of Wynne bitching about every decision I make. Is there any healer alternatives for my party in horizon?

Otherwise game's been great so far.

John

So I bought this game last night, started off as an elven mage and ticked through dialogue of a story that doesn't mean anything and started trying to adapt to an ambitious but only barely unusable control scheme. Why there aren't even options to, say, increase A/D turnspeed, or get rid of click-and-go controls so I could move the camera without waiting for the right click to register is beyond me.

Still, it's enjoyable enough that I've managed to play for a few hours in a row. At this point I reach the tower that I'm supposed to climb in order to light a beacon (what, the enormous army of fucking orcs wouldn't be enough of a signal?).

I get inside. Immediately, I walk into a room where ten enemies have bottlenecked me into a trap, splash damage my entire party with fire, and are taking me down at a range. Ok. I try it again. I elude the trap by walking two feet to the side (great games play off of what the player couldn't possibly know, remember), then my twat allies rush off to completely different areas of the room all dying quicker than I could try healing them. Where are you going? If you're all going to attack different people we might as well be in four rooms fighting three times as many people on our own. Changing their gambits doesn't do anything, they still rush off to fight whoever the hell they want, which is always the stupidest possible target.

So by my tenth try I'm raging pretty hard. I'm basically if you took that angry german kid and stuffed him into a stovetop tea kettle and tossed it into a volcano. I alt-f4, hit some things, call the developers idiots, go downstairs and start boiling some water. The answering machine is beeping, and that one really pisses me off because of how idiotic it is from a practical standpoint. If I want to know if I have messages, I'll look at the number on the screen. I don't need this shit beeping every ten seconds because I didn't feel like picking up the phone because I was doing something worthwhile at the time. Do answering machine makers have nothing better to do? I look into the freezer, find what I thought were some frozen burritos.

beef-bean-chimichangas-full.jpg

I can't find a picture of it, but the Gillen collard green package looks just like it from the bottom. Anyway.

I take the package out, but then EVERYTHING else falls out too, like normal. After a few minutes of struggling with the shit I start throwing it all. Now the collard greens explode all over the kitchen floor. FUCK. I throw all the chairs out of the room, grab the minivac and try scooping it up. What do we have this thing for? I toss it, it breaks. USELESS. I run upstairs for the full-size vacuum, but it still doesn't do anything. What the fuck are vacuums for? Why would we pay a company for a vacuum that doesn't PICK SHIT UP?

So now I'm resorting to picking all this crap up with my hands and a paper towel, but may hair's getting in the way all the time so I frantically search my room for a tie. I used to have a full package of these things, but they've individually been lost over the months. What happens to them? Where do they go? There's just my room and the car. Those are the only possible locations for them to be. I fell asleep wearing one last night. I can't find any, so now I'm just screaming harder. Yeah, I've been screeching my damned throat out this entire time. It's not as bad as when I do it in a car, since the rooms are bigger than a car and it doesn't echo as much, but I'm still simultaneously making myself mute and deaf throughout the entire escapade.

I jump back downstairs, start banging on things again. Hit a doorway, it slides out of place. What the fuck is this shit? If I can just punch the house down why are we living in it? Useless house. Out of lack of any better idea I run back to my room and start ransacking it. There's one right under an open magazine, I howl some more on my knees.

Back down. Sponge. Garbage. Collard greens. Throw my shoes. The minvac's still broken, I don't know what I'll do about that. I'm drinking the tea right now while I'm typing this, it's terrible. It's what happens when you pour the tea into the cup with the bag when it's not hot enough I guess, or maybe I put too much milk in. I finished a carton of milk with this pour, so that's probably what happened. Milk carton manufacturers need to account for this.

A vacuum was destroyed, a doorway was dislodged, and an entire pound of collard greens was thrown in the trash because some dickweeds couldn't balance a game. I hope you're happy, Bioware.

John said:
So I bought this game last night, started off as an elven mage and ticked through dialogue of a story that doesn't mean anything and started trying to adapt to an ambitious but only barely unusable control scheme. Why there aren't even options to, say, increase A/D turnspeed, or get rid of click-and-go controls so I could move the camera without waiting for the right click to register is beyond me.

Still, it's enjoyable enough that I've managed to play for a few hours in a row. At this point I reach the tower that I'm supposed to climb in order to light a beacon (what, the enormous army of fucking orcs wouldn't be enough of a signal?).

I get inside. Immediately, I walk into a room where ten enemies have bottlenecked me into a trap, splash damage my entire party with fire, and are taking me down at a range. Ok. I try it again. I elude the trap by walking two feet to the side (great games play off of what the player couldn't possibly know, remember), then my twat allies rush off to completely different areas of the room all dying quicker than I could try healing them. Where are you going? If you're all going to attack different people we might as well be in four rooms fighting three times as many people on our own. Changing their gambits doesn't do anything, they still rush off to fight whoever the hell they want, which is always the stupidest possible target.

So by my tenth try I'm raging pretty hard. I'm basically if you took that angry german kid and stuffed him into a stovetop tea kettle and tossed it into a volcano. I alt-f4, hit some things, call the developers idiots, go downstairs and start boiling some water. The answering machine is beeping, and that one really pisses me off because of how idiotic it is from a practical standpoint. If I want to know if I have messages, I'll look at the number on the screen. I don't need this shit beeping every ten seconds because I didn't feel like picking up the phone because I was doing something worthwhile at the time. Do answering machine makers have nothing better to do? I look into the freezer, find what I thought were some frozen burritos.

beef-bean-chimichangas-full.jpg

I can't find a picture of it, but the Gillen collard green package looks just like it from the bottom. Anyway.

I take the package out, but then EVERYTHING else falls out too, like normal. After a few minutes of struggling with the shit I start throwing it all. Now the collard greens explode all over the kitchen floor. FUCK. I throw all the chairs out of the room, grab the minivac and try scooping it up. What do we have this thing for? I toss it, it breaks. USELESS. I run upstairs for the full-size vacuum, but it still doesn't do anything. What the fuck are vacuums for? Why would we pay a company for a vacuum that doesn't PICK SHIT UP?

So now I'm resorting to picking all this crap up with my hands and a paper towel, but may hair's getting in the way all the time so I frantically search my room for a tie. I used to have a full package of these things, but they've individually been lost over the months. What happens to them? Where do they go? There's just my room and the car. Those are the only possible locations for them to be. I fell asleep wearing one last night. I can't find any, so now I'm just screaming harder. Yeah, I've been screeching my damned throat out this entire time. It's not as bad as when I do it in a car, since the rooms are bigger than a car and it doesn't echo as much, but I'm still simultaneously making myself mute and deaf throughout the entire escapade.

I jump back downstairs, start banging on things again. Hit a doorway, it slides out of place. What the fuck is this shit? If I can just punch the house down why are we living in it? Useless house. Out of lack of any better idea I run back to my room and start ransacking it. There's one right under an open magazine, I howl some more on my knees.

Back down. Sponge. Garbage. Collard greens. Throw my shoes. The minvac's still broken, I don't know what I'll do about that. I'm drinking the tea right now while I'm typing this, it's terrible. It's what happens when you pour the tea into the cup with the bag when it's not hot enough I guess, or maybe I put too much milk in. I finished a carton of milk with this pour, so that's probably what happened. Milk carton manufacturers need to account for this.

A vacuum was destroyed, a doorway was dislodged, and an entire pound of collard greens was thrown in the trash because some dickweeds couldn't balance a game. I hope you're happy, Bioware.

What the...? i dont even...

Zzoram

Misterinenja said:
I'm at part with
Werewolves and Dalish
now and I'm getting tired of Wynne bitching about every decision I make. Is there any healer alternatives for my party in horizon?

Otherwise game's been great so far.

Unlock Spirit Healer specialization for Morrigan?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
John said:
chimichangas

LOOOL.jpg

Are you using your npc companions skills? The mage can help with some of the ranged enemies, I believe he has some cc.

If all else fails, hold your party outside the door, run in, and run back out, creating your own bottleneck.

Unlock Spirit Healer specialization for Morrigan?

About your only other option other than potion chugging, yep.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Zeliard said:
It's like the gaming side version of a Docpan rant.

Wow because of my dwarf town glitch I should probably punch some cats, bulldoze my house, then piss on it, whilst doing air kicks.

What an epic GAF post. Well done John.

EazyB

Banned
Beat the game last night as a wizard. Total time: 48 hours.

Had a lot of fun and am actually thinking about rolling a new character pretty damn soon to play through it again.

Last boss was a bitch though, normal was challenging in some areas but the boss battle was on a whole different level of frustration.

Exhumed

Having a blast, spent a lot of time with this last night. Had a fantastic time with
thugs and blood mages in Danerim. All I have to say is blizzard + Glyph of Repulsion is simply amazing in a choke point or room. If any break through they get pummeled with spells and arrows :D Also Shale's Stone Aura makes this possible with good mana regen and stats.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I was going to register my game on the social site but it says I need a 12 character code to do so - the only thing I could think of that would be the registration key is the game code on the back of the manual (that you use on EA's actual site) but that isn't 12 characters long.

Anyone know what code the social site is requiring (to register the X360 game onto the social site)?

clashfan

I'm almost at the end of the game but I haven't had sex with anyone in my party. Where/when is the opportunity to have sex with party member? I feel like I'm missing out on the game. :lol

clashfan said:
I'm almost at the end of the game but I haven't had sex with anyone in my party. Where/when is the opportunity to have sex with party member? I feel like I'm missing out on the game. :lol

Leliana basically have you get approval to 100 I believe and constantly talk to her and choose the proper responses.

Morrigan I got after handing her the
Mirror
but I have heard its possible to do so much earlier than that.

Something about the companions, always makes me want to go with Alistair, Morrigan and Wynne or Leliana. They seem more important to the overall narrative than Sten/Oghren/Shale/Zevran. Anybody else feel that way?

I got done with the Paragon quest yesterday, probably the most difficult of the army gathering quests and also the most longest. Now time to finish some side quests and personal quests before going for Landsmeet.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
John said:
So I bought this game last night, started off as an elven mage and ticked through dialogue of a story that doesn't mean anything and started trying to adapt to an ambitious but only barely unusable control scheme. etc etc etc

You fail at two things.

1 - humor
2 - the basics of how to play an RPG. It's not hard.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Paznos said:
omg! LMAO just laughed out loud.... Enchantment?
toward the end of the game all bloody
hilarious !

That part was very funny, got to love Sandal.

cartoon_soldier said:
Leliana basically have you get approval to 100 I believe and constantly talk to her and choose the proper responses.

Morrigan I got after handing her the
Mirror
but I have heard its possible to do so much earlier than that.

Something about the companions, always makes me want to go with Alistair, Morrigan and Wynne or Leliana. They seem more important to the overall narrative than Sten/Oghren/Shale/Zevran. Anybody else feel that way?

I got done with the Paragon quest yesterday, probably the most difficult of the army gathering quests and also the most longest. Now time to finish some side quests and personal quests before going for Landsmeet.

I know the feeling, it does not help that they are together probably the best team.

Lothars

Shrinnan said:
I was going to register my game on the social site but it says I need a 12 character code to do so - the only thing I could think of that would be the registration key is the game code on the back of the manual (that you use on EA's actual site) but that isn't 12 characters long.

Anyone know what code the social site is requiring (to register the X360 game onto the social site)?

upc code on the back of the Dragon age case.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Lothars said:
upc code on the back of the Dragon age case.

Oh, okay. Thanks.

I don't really know the benefits of registering the game on there, but just in case there are any specific benefits, I'll end up registering it.

commish said:
You fail at two things.

1 - humor
2 - the basics of how to play an RPG. It's not hard.

Was waiting on someone to respond like that. Congrats!

Fantastic post John, I can relate. I kept getting thrown into the 20+ darkspawn and 3 shriek random encounter yesterday and couldn't manage to get down the last 3-4 without running out of potions. Then, I was attempting to do the final Mage Revenant in Brecelian Forest around level 11 and came to the conclusion that it was intended solely to drive me into a rabid state.

can anyone help me get pass the bounty hunters? The melee guys arnt that bad but the mage that's away from the group always owns me with her fireball.

Lothars

BlazingDarkness said:
holy crap this is one fucking ugly game, one of the worst presentation ive seen this gen :lol PS3 version FTL

It's not that bad, I think your over blowing the look of it, Heck it's not the best looking games but it's definitely not bad at all.

dpp

Neo Member
Yeah, the game was in development for quite a while, they probably had to lock to a certain graphics tech at some point... and the game gets progressively slower the more I play in my PC, probably due to memory leakage in the code.

Still, it's fucking great.

Doytch

dpp said:
Yeah, the game was in development for quite a while, they probably had to lock to a certain graphics tech at some point... and the game gets progressively slower the more I play in my PC, probably due to memory leakage in the code.

Still, it's fucking great.
There is a confirmed memory leak, starts getting noticeable a few hours in.

Fredescu

John said:
So I bought this game last night...
Awesome. No knock against you and your entertaining post, but when I read all the complaints about the game being too hard, I start to realise that this will be the last big budget game of its kind. Which makes me sad.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
macfoshizzle said:
can anyone help me get pass the bounty hunters? The melee guys arnt that bad but the mage that's away from the group always owns me with her fireball.

Running away to get to a better position isnt retreating.. its a "strategic withdrawal." :lol Thats what i had to do with the bounty hunter fight. Was a little low on spell power at the time.. i only had Wynn with me. It took a try or two but i eventually got it.

Chris_C

This is my first Steam game, so I probably should have done more reading, but can't you play the game without starting steam? When I click the DA:O icon on the desktop it tries to start steam... but steam can't connect my account (for whatever reason).

If I try to start Steam offline it just tells me "Could not connect to Steam Network", well yeah, that's why I'm trying to start the game OFFLINE.

Chris_C said:
This is my first Steam game, so I probably should have done more reading, but can't you play the game without starting steam? When I click the DA:O icon on the desktop it tries to start steam... but steam can't connect my account (for whatever reason).

If I try to start Steam offline it just tells me "Could not connect to Steam Network", well yeah, that's why I'm trying to start the game OFFLINE.

Yea, thats what I hate about Steam. Steam needs to be on and connected to play Steam bought games.

WTF, the game went from being fairly difficult at times to insanely hard, what happened, I

was going through the game at a nice pace and now Im getting my ass kicked, Im currently

saving Anora in the the castle and before that got my teeth smashed in by Branca

(boss) and the Zevran fight
, seriously it feels like the game was bumped up to

hard, I had to turn it down to casual in some of those fights which is just flat out

embarrassing.

Top Bottom