• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
cartoon_soldier said:
Yea, thats what I hate about Steam. Steam needs to be on and connected to play Steam bought games.
All my steam games can be played in offline mode.:/ heck i've managed to play TF 2 and CSS online in offline mode, as long as i had servers in my recently played and favorites list.:lol

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
dpp said:
Yeah, the game was in development for quite a while, they probably had to lock to a certain graphics tech at some point... and the game gets progressively slower the more I play in my PC, probably due to memory leakage in the code.

Still, it's fucking great.

It doesn't help that the art direction is boring and dull and bland.

Mass Effect suffered from it too, it's like they're aiming for some sort of artistic theme for each location that inevitably ends up limiting them to a few shades of a couple colors per location. It wasn't that nocieable on ME, but DA:O is like a sea of browns and muted greens. Yuck.

I have a new favorite NPC quote. After I did my thing in Orzammar, the crier calls something to the effect of:
"Breaking news! Bhelen stages attack on our new King Harrowmont and is summarily cut down! Epic fail!" I, of course, supported Harrowmont. Even in the darkest fantasy, Bioware still manages to inject a fun sense of humor. :lol

BeeDog

Got a Dragon Age: Journeys related question:

I've finished the Flash game, and unlocked both the Helm and the Belt, but eventhough I did what was required for the Amulet of the War Mage (log in with your EA account), it doesn't appear on the Bioware Social website, nor is it downloaded in-game (like the other two items). Does anyone know why this happens?

Anno

So apparently Steam has this on sale and I'd love to take advantage of that, I'm only worried about how it will run on my laptop (a Dell XPS m1530). Can-You-Run-It has me somewhere in the middle of required and recommended but that hasn't always meant much in the past. Anyone playing on the same or a similar system have any advice?

Relevant specs:
2.5GHz Core 2 Duo T7500 processor, Santa Rosa chipset
4GB DDR2-667 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR3

clashfan

cartoon_soldier said:
Leliana basically have you get approval to 100 I believe and constantly talk to her and choose the proper responses...

That's strange because I have a 100 approval with Leliana but she won't get me any loving, what a prude! :lol

Zzoram

I'm not enjoying Thief gameplay much. The game is starting to feel like a chore at about 40 hours in. I still need to finish Orzammar and the Urn, then Denerim.

Can you make Wynne teach Morrigan Spirit Healer for free? Haviny Wynne around means I don't bring Morrigan, and I don't get to play with fun magic.

Zzoram

clashfan said:
That's strange because I have a 100 approval with Leliana but she won't get me any loving, what a prude! :lol

I managed to get a kiss but no shacking up. I want that achievement.

Zzoram said:
I'm not enjoying Thief gameplay much. The game is starting to feel like a chore at about 40 hours in. I still need to finish Orzammar and the Urn, then Denerim.

Can you make Wynne teach Morrigan Spirit Healer for free? Haviny Wynne around means I don't bring Morrigan, and I don't get to play with fun magic.

Thats crazy talk! Why would you do this?

Also, spirit healer must be purchased.

Lastly, how did you build you Rogue?

I hope you went DPS(Duelist + Assassin) dual wielding(also no Locks/stealth till a much higher level)

clashfan said:

Along with that you have to get through all the conversations. You also might require to give her some "plot" specific gifts to move it along.

Zzoram said:

The Spirit Healer book is 15 sovereigns at the World of Thedas magic shop in Denerim. It's not trained from a party PC like most of the other abilities.

Finished the Game, Paths I choose:

1. Married Alistair and Anora.
2. Reform Gray Wardens with Leliana.
3. All other Companions went their own way.

I was dissapointed at not being able to interact with the dog at the end.

I wonder what kind of a sequel Bioware is thinking of. The end text makes it seem that the sequel might not be set that far into the future, so something similar to ME2 is quite possible. It will also be interesting what will be the "cannon" path for the sequel. I am guessing:
1. Alistair and Anora are ruling
2. Morrigan dissapears with the Child
3. The Gray Warden (male or Female) chooses to rebuild. It will be interesting to see how they handle in that case Leliana and Zevran.

I am guessing the sequel will also feature tensions between the Elves with their new land, Dwarves with their newfound prosperity and Humans. It would be interesting to also foray into lands outside Ferelden.

It does suck though, that we still end the game without knowing anything about Flemeth's and Morrigan's true intentions. I don't think Morrigan will be an "evil" character in the sequel, but it kills me not knowing what all that amounted to.

cartoon_soldier said:
Along with that you have to get through all the conversations. You also might require to give her some "plot" specific gifts to move it along.

If you raise her approval too fast some of the options will no longer show up and thus you won't get the sex scene eventhough she is clearly in love with you.

I broke it off with her (Morrigan was getting jealous) and was able to get the dialog option to reappear.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Finally beat the game. It has some great things about it, but the loading times are ridiculous. The graphics are comparable to Jade Empire and the story could be stronger. The voice-acting was phenomenal, and the dialogue was great as well. The battle system seemed a bit weak, but that's probably because I was playing on a PS3. I really hope they incorporate the amount of freedom in this game into ME2, though the lack of an open world was disappointing. I also with they would have taken a page out of KOTOR and
allowed me to take over the world at the end

So how does the game stack up against Demon Souls? I haven't yet played it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zzoram said:
I managed to get a kiss but no shacking up. I want that achievement.

Someone should OP this - Leliana is bugged - you have to do her personal quest before her approval gets too high, otherwise you need to dump her and then try to get her quest dialog.

Luckily, there are three of those Andraste flowers in the game that will greatly boost her relationship meter if you end up needing to do that.

DieH@rd

Banned
DimmuBurgerKing said:
I have a new favorite NPC quote. After I did my thing in Orzammar, the crier calls something to the effect of:
"Breaking news! Bhelen stages attack on our new King Harrowmont and is summarily cut down! Epic fail!" I, of course, supported Harrowmont. Even in the darkest fantasy, Bioware still manages to inject a fun sense of humor. :lol
I heard that few days ago :lol

firehawk12 said:
Someone should OP this - Leliana is bugged - you have to do her personal quest before her approval gets too high, otherwise you need to dump her and then try to get her quest dialog.
How do i initiate her personal quest. Same for Shale.

Ashodin

Beat the game two days ago. Doing a new runthrough as my City Elf Warrior/Templar. Wondering if I should go Champion or Berserker. Definitely getting Reaver this run through, had NO idea that I missed it in my last, argh!

Next runthrough is a Dalish Elf Rogue/Ranger though!

Then... I think Human Noble Berserker/Reaver.

BTW, having seen four of the six Power of Blood abilities, I think the mage ones are best when you are solo, and the warrior ones GREAT with a backup healer.

Projected Party this round: City Elf/Warrior/Templar/Berserker, Wynne, Zevran, and Oghren. Doing Circle of Magi first for Wynne.

Any ideas where to get Templar armor quick for my main? I love the design and I want to roll around Ferelden pimping himself out as a Templar badass.

Fredescu

Maxrpg said:
Any ideas where to get Templar armor quick for my main? I love the design and I want to roll around Ferelden pimping himself out as a Templar badass.
You get the breastplate and helmet fairly early on in Circle of Magi. Or did you mean quicker than that?

Is there any way at all to set Mouse/Camera look to toggle instead of constantly having to hold RMB?

I fucking detest this so damn much =(

Ashodin

Fredescu said:
You get the breastplate and helmet fairly early on in Circle of Magi. Or did you mean quicker than that?
Got them both already. I got the hat, but then I remembered getting the armor from the Knight in thrall from the Desire Demon. Sweet hotness! :D

I know there's a better armor piece later on, cannot wait!

John said:
So I bought this game last night, started off as an elven mage and ticked through dialogue of a story that doesn't mean anything and started trying to adapt to an ambitious but only barely unusable control scheme. Why there aren't even options to, say, increase A/D turnspeed, or get rid of click-and-go controls so I could move the camera without waiting for the right click to register is beyond me.

Concur with this bit ...I'm honestly tempted to buy the PS3 version as it's pretty annoying to me. Exception being mousing through menus obviously.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Shrinnan said:
Thanks. I should have my original UPC code, but I assume every UPC code is the same provided they are from the same version.

Yup! If you register your game at the social site before 11/30, you get a DLC dagger.

UltimaKilo said:
So how does the game stack up against Demon Souls? I haven't yet played it.

It's funny. They're both dungeon-crawling RPGs, but they're nearly polar opposites. Playing Demon Souls feels like you're wandering in a post-apocalyptic fantasy land. It's an extremely lonely experience (not necessarily a bad thing). You will learn humility playing DS, since either the game or an invading phantom will teach it to you.

There is one point of similarity = the dragons in both are going to kick your ass unless you know what you're doing.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
luxarific said:
Yup! If you register your game at the social site before 11/30, you get a DLC dagger.

It's funny. They're both dungeon-crawling RPGs, but they're nearly polar opposites. Playing Demon Souls feels like you're wandering in a post-apocalyptic fantasy land. It's an extremely lonely experience (not necessarily a bad thing). You will learn humility playing DS, since either the game or an invading phantom will teach it to you.

There is one point of similarity = the dragons in both are going to kick your ass unless you know what you're doing.

DA also is very very story driven.. NPCs are really important and how you play changes the story a lot.. very different indeed

Xamdou said:
Just started a new game as a Mage, where do I go to unlock the blood Mage specialization

When you go into the fade to save Connor, you have the option to get it from the demon......or you could bang her. You have to be the one to go into the fade, it can't be wynne, Morrigan or anyone else. You get another attempt later when you're at the alienage and you defeat the bloodmage there.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Blackace said:
DA also is very very story driven.. NPCs are really important and how you play changes the story a lot.. very different indeed

And another thing - the character type you choose to start with in Demon Souls only impacts the equipment you can use initially, whether or not you can use magic right off the bat (though if you can't, you can level up so you can) and your distribution of opening stats. You don't get the various origin stories that you do with DAO and dialogue of NPCs (not that there's that much dialogue in the game) won't be affected by what class you start out as.

Minsc

Gold Member
AgentOtaku said:
John said:
So I bought this game last night, started off as an elven mage and ticked through dialogue of a story that doesn't mean anything and started trying to adapt to an ambitious but only barely unusable control scheme. Why there aren't even options to, say, increase A/D turnspeed, or get rid of click-and-go controls so I could move the camera without waiting for the right click to register is beyond me.
Concur with this bit ...I'm honestly tempted to buy the PS3 version as it's pretty annoying to me. Exception being mousing through menus obviously.

I just right click and hold then use the mouse to turn the screen, it is much better.

You can scroll simply enough by middle clicking and dragging or moving the cursor to the edge.

Pimpbaa

Anno said:
So apparently Steam has this on sale and I'd love to take advantage of that, I'm only worried about how it will run on my laptop (a Dell XPS m1530). Can-You-Run-It has me somewhere in the middle of required and recommended but that hasn't always meant much in the past. Anyone playing on the same or a similar system have any advice?

Relevant specs:
2.5GHz Core 2 Duo T7500 processor, Santa Rosa chipset
4GB DDR2-667 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR3

I have a laptop with a 2.1Ghz Core 2 Duo T6500, 4GB of ram, and a Radeon 4650 mobility with 1GB GDD3. The game runs pretty good on high settings at a resolution of 1280x720.

Minsc said:
I just right click and hold then use the mouse to turn the screen, it is much better.
You can scroll simply enough by middle clicking and dragging or moving the cursor to the edge.

I like playing this over the shoulder. Don't wanna go Iso view. Either way, I still have to hold RMB when ever I wanna move the camera.

Terrible.

Can't believe Bioware wouldn't give a toggle option, even though they gave an option for Toggling walk

I just finished 'Paragon of a Kind', I did get the achievement as well for taking a side, however, it is still in my 'Current Quests'. Do I have to go talk to the 'Ear' in order to complete it?

EDIT: Never mind guys, it is under the 'Completed Quests' now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nemesis556 said:
How the fuck do I trigger this apparent random encounter to start off Leliana's personal quest? >_>

You need to spark up conversations with her about
her past as a minstrel, which is iirc asking her what she was doing in the Lothering Chantry, then talk to her about minstrels being spies, then exit the camp and the next time you enter she will talk to you about lying before (this requires a medium-high affinity) and the next time you travel on the map you should get the random encounter

started playing uncharted 2 and just realised the male and female treasure hunter thief people in the first cutscene are morrigan and alistair :lol a bit wierd

ultron87 said:
So I'm gonna get this tomorrow (unfortunately on a console). Of the two console versions the PS3 is the version to get, right?

Slightly worse framerate but better textures over 360 version

Sucks that both have highly compressed sound effects from what I've heard. Especially inexcusable given BD capacity.

Boss Man

So I'm trying to decide between getting this (on PS3) or Batman: AA. I love RPG's, but I'm not sure exactly how this game plays.

I've watched several videos, but does anyone know of a video that demonstrates exactly how the gameplay works? You can pause and micromanage in the PS3 version, right? Just no top-down camera? Also, how does attacking work? Is it just an "auto-attack" command, a "cast magic" command, and a "use item" command type of thing or what? Are you mostly just watching the characters fight, or do you have a lot to do with their actions?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Played through the game on PC two times without ever having to manually rotate the camera. On a few occasions I used the arrow keys to look at a room that was otherwise off-screen.

I only noticed 2 issues with the camera. Going up a steep slope neither of the camera modes allowed you to look uphill. A place to check this out is going uphill from Haven to the temple. The other issue was being unable to switch to iso view if there was geometry obstructing where the camera wanted to place itself.

TheFallen

ultron87 said:
So I'm gonna get this tomorrow (unfortunately on a console). Of the two console versions the PS3 is the version to get, right?
Of the two, there's no real superior version. Each have their disadvantages (slightly worse framerate on PS3, slightly worse textures on 360). Just get whichever you have a preference for.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I'm towards the end, I just
Alistar named kind and got to Redcliffe to prepare for the final battle. So am I pretty much unable to go back to any sidequests at this point? I haven't touched most of them. I'd like to finish up the main quest but once it's over you can't go back to sidequests, right?

Ashodin

cartoon_soldier said:
Finished the Game, Paths I choose:

1. Married Alistair and Anora.
2. Reform Gray Wardens with Leliana.
3. All other Companions went their own way.

I was dissapointed at not being able to interact with the dog at the end.

I wonder what kind of a sequel Bioware is thinking of. The end text makes it seem that the sequel might not be set that far into the future, so something similar to ME2 is quite possible. It will also be interesting what will be the "cannon" path for the sequel. I am guessing:
1. Alistair and Anora are ruling
2. Morrigan dissapears with the Child
3. The Gray Warden (male or Female) chooses to rebuild. It will be interesting to see how they handle in that case Leliana and Zevran.

I am guessing the sequel will also feature tensions between the Elves with their new land, Dwarves with their newfound prosperity and Humans. It would be interesting to also foray into lands outside Ferelden.

It does suck though, that we still end the game without knowing anything about Flemeth's and Morrigan's true intentions. I don't think Morrigan will be an "evil" character in the sequel, but it kills me not knowing what all that amounted to.
do not forget that Sten says the qunari are going to invade after the blight is over

spons

Gold Member
TheFallen said:
Of the two, there's no real superior version. Each have their disadvantages (slightly worse framerate on PS3, slightly worse textures on 360). Just get whichever you have a preference for.
After completing the 360 version I'm now playing the PC version (thanks to the 16 euro g2play deal, in b4 stolen keys) and the difference is remarkable. People should do themselves a favor and get the PC version if possible. It really is that much better.

Boss Man

Doytch said:
^^ Quick Look for the 360 version

I remember them being wrong about...something though. I have the PC version so I'm not sure what it is and am sure someone will chime in.
Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I'm not a PC gamer because for some reason I just don't feel right playing games on PC. I grew up on SNES and N64 so I'm accustomed to playing my games with a controller and on a TV. Plus, PC games always seem to be too crisp to the point that they remind me that I'm on PC. That probably sounds silly but there's something about the sharpness of PC games that throws me off and completely ruins the immersion.

I acknowledge that PC is a great platform for games and that Dragon Age is definitely a better game on PC, but I just personally don't enjoy playing on PC. Plus the only PC I'd play it on is my laptop, and while it's decent it doesn't have an integrated graphics card. Otherwise I might consider it since it's such a superior version.

Top Bottom